ImageImageImage

Marcus Smart on The Jump

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Re: Marcus Smart on The Jump 

Post#81 » by Roddy » Fri Aug 2, 2019 5:15 pm

Smart might be the most overrated AND underrated player in a Celtics uniform ever !

It's hate or love with our fans.

I have never been a Smart fan, but you have to admit that he has improved every season. People like to talk about his shooting %, but his passing ability is just amazing. He has great vision, and always find the right guy.

I don't care if he is a leader or not, I just like the energy he brings when he is on the floor. You can see the difference when he is in.

I still think that he has the perfect contrat to be a trade asset for a Star/Superstar player. I guess many people will be sad when he will be gone....but it's always "next man up".
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,966

Post#82 » by sam_I_am » Fri Aug 2, 2019 5:39 pm

Roddy wrote:Smart might be the most overrated AND underrated player in a Celtics uniform ever !

I have never been a Smart fan, but you have to admit that he has improved every season. People like to talk about his shooting %, but his passing ability is just amazing. He has great vision, and always find the right guy.

I don't care if he is a leader or not, I just like the energy he brings when he is on the floor. You can see the difference when he is in.

I still think that he has the perfect contrat to be a trade asset for a Star/Superstar player. I guess many people will be sad when he will be gone....but it's always "next man up".

The problem with polarizing players is that when you try to make a level headed assessment you get piled on by both the haters and the fanboys. I think he is less than his promise when he was early favorite to be #1 pick as freshman and as #5 pick after sophomore season. He hasn’t been the next Dwayne Wade/Westbrook/Derrick Rose type he was hyped to be. However, disregarding where he was picked....he is simply an excellent player that can be a key ingredient to a championship team. He is a major part of the success Boston has had under Stevens. He has a good fair contract that could easily be moved to improve the team if necessary but even better can easily fit within the framework of a multi max contract contender. Apart from his talent....he plays with a passion that the city of Boston demands and idolizes.
Bluewhale
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#83 » by Bluewhale » Mon Aug 5, 2019 6:05 am

The 2014 draft, I didn't see anyone better than Smart after pick 6, to be honest.

Edit: Nikola Jokic is a surprise to anyone, and it should be argued at pick 16, than 6
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#84 » by Edug27 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 7:44 am

sam_I_am wrote:
Roddy wrote:Smart might be the most overrated AND underrated player in a Celtics uniform ever !

The problem with polarizing players is that when you try to make a level headed assessment you get piled on by both the haters and the fanboys. I think he is less than his promise when he was early favorite to be #1 pick as freshman and as #5 pick after sophomore season. He hasn’t been the next Dwayne Wade/Westbrook/Derrick Rose type he was hyped to be. However, disregarding where he was picked....he is simply an excellent player that can be a key ingredient to a championship team. He is a major part of the success Boston has had under Stevens. He has a good fair contract that could easily be moved to improve the team if necessary but even better can easily fit within the framework of a multi max contract contender. Apart from his talent....he plays with a passion that the city of Boston demands and idolizes.

Never been a Smart fan at all. The best thing about him is his tradable contract. Having said that, I do think he can be that Iggy type player on a great team. Maybe.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#85 » by Roddy » Mon Aug 5, 2019 11:24 am

Bluewhale wrote:The 2014 draft, I didn't see anyone better than Smart after pick 6, to be honest.

Edit: Nikola Jokic is a surprise to anyone, and it should be argued at pick 16, than 6

Not saying that they are better than Smart, but some guys are really good :

#7 Julius Randle
#12 Dario Saric
#13 Zach Levine
#14 TJ Warren
#16 Jusuf Nurkic
#19 Gary Harris
#25 Clint Capela
#27 Bogdan Bogdanović
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#86 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Thu Aug 8, 2019 10:40 am

Roddy wrote:
Bluewhale wrote:The 2014 draft, I didn't see anyone better than Smart after pick 6, to be honest.

Not saying that they are better than Smart, but some guys are really good :

#7 Julius Randle
#12 Dario Saric
#13 Zach Levine
#14 TJ Warren
#16 Jusuf Nurkic
#19 Gary Harris
#25 Clint Capela
#27 Bogdan Bogdanović

Smart is the only one of those who has made an all-NBA team so far.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#87 » by 5InOfLouisville » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:50 am

I like him for what he is. Based on his contract, I think he is a fine asset/player. I like him a lot as a secondary ball handler, and he generally makes decent decisions.

That said, he has a penchant for trying to throw a wild over the head pass in the lane or going cross-court off balance at the worst possible times.

His greatest strength and his biggest weakness seems to be his his unwavering belief in himself and his desire to constantly go all out. Sometimes he simply needs to tone it down.

His defense is strong, but he over-helps off his man on occasion. He is trying to help his teammate and guard the entire floor. His intentions are always noble, but the result isn't always great.

Shoot open shots, be a strong secondary ball handler, play smart and aggressive defense, keep his emotions in check, and I think he is an excellent piece, be it for trade fodor or as a 6th man on a contender.

I think in sports, or perhaps any topic, we tend to see things in extremes, and process information that corroborates our narrative completely differently from information that contradicts it. and we live in an internet era where there are enough opinions and "info" available that we can verify whatever theory we have or simply WANT to believe.

the truth usually lies somewhere in between.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,171

Post#88 » by brackdan70 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:21 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:I like him for what he is. Based on his contract, I think he is a fine asset/player. I like him a lot as a secondary ball handler, and he generally makes decent decisions.

That said, he has a penchant for trying to throw a wild over the head pass in the lane or going cross-court off balance at the worst possible times.

His greatest strength and his biggest weakness seems to be his his unwavering belief in himself and his desire to constantly go all out. Sometimes he simply needs to tone it down.

His defense is strong, but he over-helps off his man on occasion. He is trying to help his teammate and guard the entire floor. His intentions are always noble, but the result isn't always great.

Shoot open shots, be a strong secondary ball handler, play smart and aggressive defense, keep his emotions in check, and I think he is an excellent piece, be it for trade fodor as a 6th man on a contender.

I think in sports, or perhaps any topic, we tend to see things in extremes, and process information that corroborates our narrative completely differently from information that contradicts it. and we live in an internet era where there are enough opinions and "info" available that we can verify whatever theory we have or simply WANT to believe.

the truth usually lies somewhere in between.

Top notch first post. Welcome to the board.
Sign here
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#89 » by 5InOfLouisville » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:07 pm

^appreciate it. I've been a long time reader. apparently i registered back in October 17 when aaron baynes's penis was en vogue, but forgot about it til now(my registration, not his penis).
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Post#90 » by thomas1897 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:03 pm

Marcus Smart is a very fine player who has shown he is an important piece and an excellent contributor on both sides of the ball for the Celtics. Marcus has a history of conflict while playing in the heat of the battle. He has not used good judgement and the team has suffered because of those rash and poor decisions. Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens need to have a meeting with him on these issues and some possible anger management classes to help him. The Celtics in 2019-2020 are going to need him in every game and playing not on the side lines dealing with discipline issues. Also off the court think about what you do can effect the team( broken mirror and hand injury). Marcus brings a high energy level and a winning desire ( important point he uses his body to get it done going after lose balls that make a big difference in the outcome of the game). There are positives it makes the other players play harder and better. He needs to work on this area of his game because good decisions can make the Celtics a champion or the bad decisions a loser. His presence on the court provides good leadership when good decisions are made.

Return to Boston Celtics