Damien Lee is back...signs the 2 way

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Damien Lee is back...signs the 2 way 

Post#41 » by Mylie10 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 4:36 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Thugleavy34 wrote:That may well be the case, but WCS' black marks have always been his low IQ and motor and Kerr doesn't have much tolerance for either. I think the motor is fixable with guys like Green around him. IQ on the other hand is tougher

Odd thing about that is that in college WCS had a rep for his motor and his IQ, so I wonder if the issue was Sacto based or just bad habits.

Certainly Kerr will have him on a short leash, but there isn't a lot behind him so he's going to get plenty of chances.

I read that Willie wasn't necessarily a low IQ guy, but that his play was inconsistent. He started the entire year and played 30 minutes per. Joerger wanted to stick with h over the front office pushing younger guys, and I consider Joerger a good coach.

Most young players are inconsistent and he was playing in Sac as a high 1st round draft pick. That brings expectations that maybe aren't fair. For us, he's a value signing, and if he even comes close to the output he had last season, then it's a home run signing.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#42 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:14 pm

I had Willie Trill on my dynasty squad last year. He was ballin out with some huge double doubles most of the year, then somewhere around Jan-Feb they started playing him around 20 minutes a game out of the blue and he was a dud the rest of the year (fantasy-wise).
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Thugleavy34
Analyst
And1: 300

Post#43 » by Thugleavy34 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:36 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
Thugleavy34 wrote:That may well be the case, but WCS' black marks have always been his low IQ and motor and Kerr doesn't have much tolerance for either. I think the motor is fixable with guys like Green around him. IQ on the other hand is tougher

Odd thing about that is that in college WCS had a rep for his motor and his IQ, so I wonder if the issue was Sacto based or just bad habits.

Certainly Kerr will have him on a short leash, but there isn't a lot behind him so he's going to get plenty of chances.

Interesting. Excited to see if he can turn a corner here
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#44 » by xdrta+ » Fri Aug 2, 2019 7:39 pm

And our other two-way from last season has latched on with the Hawks.
Read on Twitter
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#45 » by watch1958 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 8:35 pm

Thugleavy34 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Seems his productivity dropped after they brought in Barnes. That seemed to shake up Sac generally. They were 28-25 before the trade, 11-18 after.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#46 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 12:07 am

watch1958 wrote:
Thugleavy34 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Seems his productivity dropped after they brought in Barnes. That seemed to shake up Sac generally. They were 28-25 before the trade, 11-18 after.

It wasn't just Barnes though, it was also a bigger emphasis on Bagley and Giles as well.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
watch1958
General Manager

Post#47 » by watch1958 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 1:30 am

Mylie10 wrote:
watch1958 wrote:
Thugleavy34 wrote:

It wasn't just Barnes though, it was also a bigger emphasis on Bagley and Giles as well.
Fair enough. It would have been better phrased if I'd said something like "after Sac changed direction with things like the Barnes acquisition."
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#48 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 1:40 am

watch1958 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
watch1958 wrote:Seems his productivity dropped after they brought in Barnes. That seemed to shake up Sac generally. They were 28-25 before the trade, 11-18 after.

Fair enough. It would have been better phrased if I'd said something like "after Sac changed direction with things like the Barnes acquisition."

Gotcha.

For me the production Stein put up in 30 minutes per is what I'm hoping for with us. I'm happy with all of those numbers at the price we are paying him. Anything extra would be gravy.
Small caviot.....I want him to set really good screens, and increase his blocks percentage. I read he stopped going for blocks after am injury or something. I'll look it up.
Khoee wrote “
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#49 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:04 am

Back to Lee

If you look at his numbers in the G league playing 30 minutes per, he was around a 20 point scorer and still amazingly rebounds at 6 per.

Those stats are true with his NBA stint as well if you look at per 36 numbers.

So if he can carve out 20-25 minutes a night we should be looking at around 12-15 points, and maybe 4 or 5 rebounds.

Also if not for a 13 game stretch in the g league in 2017 his three point numbers are really good. Great free throw shooter as well.
Khoee wrote “
watch1958
General Manager

Post#50 » by watch1958 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:09 am

Mylie10 wrote:
watch1958 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Gotcha.

For me the production Stein put up in 30 minutes per is what I'm hoping for with us. I'm happy with all of those numbers at the price we are paying him. Anything extra would be gravy.
Small caviot.....I want him to set really good screens, and increase his blocks percentage. I read he stopped going for blocks after am injury or something. I'll look it up.
I'd be curious about the blocks as well. Over the years, that seemed to be the one area where his production got worse instead of better.
watch1958
General Manager

Post#51 » by watch1958 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:18 am

Mylie10 wrote:Back to Lee

If you look at his numbers in the G league playing 30 minutes per, he was around a 20 point scorer and still amazingly rebounds at 6 per.

So if he can carve out 20-25 minutes a night we should be looking at around 12-15 points, and maybe 4 or 5 rebounds.

Also if not for a 13 game stretch in the g league in 2017 his three point numbers are really good. Great free throw shooter as well.
That is the trouble with heading into the playoffs. Who do you have ready to go, and who do you include on the playoff roster. Based on history, they had Cook ready, and on the roster in case Curry went down. Probably weren't thinking you'd lose both KD and Klay. Even as a last option, a prepared Damion Lee might have been enough to squeak them by the Raptors.

That is one way acquiring Russel helps. He gives depth at multiple positions, making playoff rosters a bit less of a dice roll.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#52 » by Samurai » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:43 am

Mylie10 wrote:Back to Lee

Those stats are encouraging, but some caution is needed due to a) small sample size and b) G-league numbers may not translate to NBA numbers. Remember that in 2018 with the Hawks, he only shot 25% from deep (again, small sample size). And he only averaged 2.6 assists per 36 with the Hawks, same as he posted per 36 in Santa Cruz; would like to see him tick that up a bit to fit in with a passing/motion offense. But you are right that the rebounding numbers are solid, particularly considering he was primarily (exclusively?) a guard. i'm hoping he can maintain the improving trend in his 3-point shooting and play decent defense, which has never been his strong suit.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#53 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:41 am

watch1958 wrote:I'd be curious about the blocks as well. Over the years, that seemed to be the one area where his production got worse instead of better.

Some of it seemed like he was playing further from the basket and they were switching more which takes away some block opportunities. It may also be that he doesn't try. I'd rather he not go for every block and stay with his man ... used to drive me nuts when JaVale would leave his man to go for a block, miss the block and his man would get the easy put back.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#54 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:49 am

Lee is okay, but he's just okay. Let's not go over the top with him.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Post#55 » by wco81 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 8:24 am

Yeah if he averaged 12-15 ppg, he’d be one of the top 6th men in the league.

Return to Golden State Warriors