ImageImageImage

Welcome Al Horford(?!?)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,591

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#121 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Zumramania wrote:Šarić is bad defensively and moves like an overweight seal, but in the season before being traded he shot like 40% + from 3 after ASB. Can Horford do that?

He should be close. 37% for his career. He needs to up his volume too when playing with the starters. Saric had a 0.45 3pa rate. Horford was at 0.3. Around 0.35 overall would be good, 0.4 at PF and 0.3 at center.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#122 » by agiaco » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:32 pm

There's no reason that both Embiid and Horford shouldn't be in close games at the end. So I'm thinking they will play maybe three stretches together most of the time. Tipoff, end of 4th and somewhere in between.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,792

Post#123 » by eyeatoma » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:46 pm

agiaco wrote:There's no reason that both Embiid and Horford shouldn't be in close games at the end. So I'm thinking they will play maybe three stretches together most of the time. Tipoff, end of 4th and somewhere in between.
End of 2nd and start of third.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#124 » by 76ciology » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:33 am

If the opponents’ center is defending Horford. Maybe because Horford defends the opponents’ center on the defensive end.

Will it lead to defense having PF on Embiid, SF on Ben and SG on Tobias?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#125 » by BigRedDog » Fri Aug 2, 2019 5:41 am

After all the craziness the 76ers have gone thru...the Hinkie exxperiment... the embiid foot... the fultz "shoulder"..the simmons jumper.... butler's general demeanor...is dario coming over? okafor nutcase self... noel nutcase self...the coleangelo mess etc... i mean what a wild team to follow the last ~5 years

how nice will it be as a Philly fan to just have a player that has no flaws in his game, no issues with maturity, no massive health problems, etc... Horford is as solid as they come.

And his defense on Giannis in the playoffs alone makes him such an intriguing piece for you guys...

Will be betting on the 76ers to win the Ship this year for certain
BigRedDog
Junior

Post#126 » by BigRedDog » Fri Aug 2, 2019 5:54 am

ankle420breaker wrote:I've always admired Horford's game. Feels wreckless to say, but to me he's the closest facsimile to Duncan in the league. Not saying he's Timmy-- but he's a fundamental savant who plays both ends with intelligence and never get rattled.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I actually think thats a perfect comparison. Defensively they are very similar players. They are just so sound positionally, they dont foul, they contest shots, etc... they dont dominate based on embiid like rim protection or absurd athletic advantage... they are just incredibly intuitive players...
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Post#127 » by kuclas » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:04 am

76ciology wrote:If the opponents’ center is defending Horford. Maybe because Horford defends the opponents’ center on the defensive end.

Playing against Milwaukee. There is no chance the bucks will have giannis covering embiid for long stretches. And Lopez cover Horford. It would be suicide for Milwaukee. Making Giannis expend all that energy on defense when they need him for offense.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#128 » by 76ciology » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:29 am

kuclas wrote:
76ciology wrote:If the opponents’ center is defending Horford. Maybe because Horford defends the opponents’ center on the defensive end.

Playing against Milwaukee. There is no chance the bucks will have giannis covering embiid for long stretches. And Lopez cover Horford. It would be suicide for Milwaukee. Making Giannis expend all that energy on defense when they need him for offense.

Yeah but if Embiid covers Giannis, Brolo is not quick enough to run down the court to guard Embiid.

Should be interesting how the match-ups will be.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#129 » by ivysixer2000 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:10 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
Zumramania wrote:Šarić is bad defensively and moves like an overweight seal, but in the season before being traded he shot like 40% + from 3 after ASB. Can Horford do that?

He should be close. 37% for his career. He needs to up his volume too when playing with the starters. Saric had a 0.45 3pa rate. Horford was at 0.3. Around 0.35 overall would be good, 0.4 at PF and 0.3 at center.

We really need Horford to get his 3pt attempts up for this team, and I hope he sees that cause we need it for spacing. Thats how I can see his role changing from Boston to Philly.
BigRedDog
Junior

Post#130 » by BigRedDog » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:47 am

ivysixer2000 wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

We really need Horford to get his 3pt attempts up for this team, and I hope he sees that cause we need it for spacing. Thats how I can see his role changing from Boston to Philly.

Honestly, i feel like that's one of Al's only shortcomings. He's a little too unselfish and reluctant to shoot and passes up some awfully good shots sometimes.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#131 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:22 pm

Read on Twitter
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#132 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Aug 7, 2019 11:57 am

The potential we have defensively should intrigue fans the most. In addition to Horford, I'm sure a lot of casual fans will be impressed with Josh's ability to lock down.

Even when Embiid sits we have a very balanced lineup that's built to compete on both ends. If healthy-- we should be a menace for any team to face in a playoff series.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#133 » by youngcrev » Wed Aug 7, 2019 12:22 pm

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

As Bodner pointed out, it's a pretty small sample size, so while encouraging, it's not that meaningful
76ciology
RealGM

Post#134 » by 76ciology » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:17 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:The potential we have defensively should intrigue fans the most. In addition to Horford, I'm sure a lot of casual fans will be impressed with Josh's ability to lock down.

Even when Embiid sits we have a very balanced lineup that's built to compete on both ends. If healthy-- we should be a menace for any team to face in a playoff series.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

What intrigues me is the match-up problems it will create. I always look how coaches decides to match-up players in today’s “positionless” era.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#135 » by 76ciology » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:18 pm

youngcrev wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

As Bodner pointed out, it's a pretty small sample size, so while encouraging, it's not that meaningful

I always lurk at celts board. They are a funny bunch. And i find them to like their unit whenever they have Baynes and Horford on the floor. It sort of get them out of the funk back when they were finding solid ground with their chemistry problem.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#136 » by Sixerscan » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:28 pm

youngcrev wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not sure when that data is from, but he played close to 60% of his minutes at the 4 in 17-18.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#137 » by youngcrev » Wed Aug 7, 2019 6:01 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not sure when that data is from, but he played close to 60% of his minutes at the 4 in 17-18.

Not sure where those specific numbers are from, but just looking specifically at the pairing with Baynes on NBA.com, since that's where the vast majority of his minutes at the 4 comes from, they had a net rating of 20.4 this year and 12.1 the year before.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#138 » by 76ciology » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:04 am

Maybe Horford will eventually have the GSW’s version of Iggy. 6th man and part of deathball closer.

When that time comes, hopefully Ben and Embiid have become better shooters
Context
RealGM
And1: 11,450

Post#139 » by Context » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:45 pm

BigRedDog wrote:After all the craziness the 76ers have gone thru...the Hinkie exxperiment... the embiid foot... the fultz "shoulder"..the simmons jumper.... butler's general demeanor...is dario coming over? okafor nutcase self... noel nutcase self...the coleangelo mess etc... i mean what a wild team to follow the last ~5 years

how nice will it be as a Philly fan to just have a player that has no flaws in his game, no issues with maturity, no massive health problems, etc... Horford is as solid as they come.

And his defense on Giannis in the playoffs alone makes him such an intriguing piece for you guys...

to the bold:

I only wished that the knicks had hinkie 7 years ago...I was lurking through on other business :lol:
and I came across what seemed to be blatant disrespect and slander to hinkies name...The foundation of where
the 6ers are now is because of hinkie....
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
BigRedDog
Junior

Post#140 » by BigRedDog » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:53 pm

Context wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:After all the craziness the 76ers have gone thru...the Hinkie exxperiment... the embiid foot... the fultz "shoulder"..the simmons jumper.... butler's general demeanor...is dario coming over? okafor nutcase self... noel nutcase self...the coleangelo mess etc... i mean what a wild team to follow the last ~5 years

to the bold:

I only wished that the knicks had hinkie 7 years ago...I was lurking through on other business :lol:
and I came across what seemed to be blatant disrespect and slander to hinkies name...The foundation of where
the 6ers are now is because of hinkie....

Im a hinkie disciple and was one of his biggest advocates in the entire world. actually spent more time following the 76ers than the hornets during that period since it was more fun. it was still a wild experiment and a defining part of the 76ers legacy. And Horforf is the exact opposoite of that. He's more like hte final piece. The epitome of balance and the exact opposite of what the 76ers have been through for the last ~6-7 seasons while putting up with nutbars like okafor, fultz,noel, etc...wildly talented but incomplete players like simmons, injury prone generational talents like embiid...

I mean its easy ot forget this now but there were guys here defending MCW and okafor to the death... look it up

Return to Philadelphia 76ers