Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1101 » by Southern Piston » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:39 am

And so many others you would think the league could expand one team at least
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#1102 » by Kilo » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:19 pm

We're done. We have literally like 100K under the tax threshold. This is our team for better or worst to open up camp. Only trade I could see is Galloway for a bigger wing that could back-up SF. But Casey doesn't seem to mind playing Galloway, Brown there last season. And Snell will offer the bigger, more physical option we didn't have when Johnson couldn't be played.

And we might need Galloway ourselves anyways depending on how you feel about Thomas and Mykhailiuk.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#1103 » by The_Irony » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:13 pm

Galloway is potentially playing for his last "big" contract. one thing that might work in Detroits favor especially as the trade deadline looms.

he needs to be in the 37-39% range if he wants that money.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,454

Post#1104 » by Canadafan » Thu Aug 1, 2019 8:53 pm

Ya I guess RJ LG and possibly Dre have more value near deadline for us to deal them for something
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#1105 » by edmunder_prc » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:58 pm

The_Irony wrote:Galloway is potentially playing for his last "big" contract. one thing that might work in Detroits favor especially as the trade deadline looms.

he needs to be in the 37-39% range if he wants that money.

With Kennard hopefully improving and Tony Snell playing minutes at the 3, how many minutes will Galloway play?

Also Brown played wing minutes. Then Doumbouya can play the 3 now. Though he is slated as a 4 when hes in his prime

Maybe if he comes in and shoots well he stays, otherwise no minutes.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#1106 » by Sort » Fri Aug 2, 2019 5:07 pm

I know this is hard on such limited summer league action, but judging by how little basketball he's actually played in his lifetime and all the cultural adjustments of being in the NBA and a new country, let alone being the youngest player in the draft, you just cannot put Doumbouya down for playing time this year, at least not in the beginning, most likely not for the whole year.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#1107 » by whitehops » Sat Aug 3, 2019 12:50 am

Sort wrote:I know this is hard on such limited summer league action, but judging by how little basketball he's actually played in his lifetime and all the cultural adjustments of being in the NBA and a new country, let alone being the youngest player in the draft, you just cannot put Doumbouya down for playing time this year, at least not in the beginning, most likely not for the whole year.

agree completely. doumbouya is definitely better suited to play the 4 starting his career and griffin/morris will get virtually all those minutes. snell and brown will likely get the majority of the minutes at the 3. my guess would be that doumbouya competes with maker for third string minutes at the 4 and they should give doumbouya the nod there.

my guess is doumbouya averages like 6-8 MPG this season with DNPs sprinkled in.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#1108 » by Canadafan » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:27 pm

What's the plan here?
Summer of 2020;
Reggie, Galloway and probably Dre will all be unrestricted free agents.
Are we just gonna let them expire? Doubtful right?
Seems a waste to not try to get something back for them like we did with Bullock and Stanley last deadline.
If we did let them all just leave would we even have that much cap space to sign anyone? :-?
Are we/Gores planning on reupping Dre and possibly Reggie? Ugh. :x :oops:
I could see and be ok with Dre staying but Reggie and Galloway gots ta go. Them leaving for nothing doesnt seem as good an option as us trading them for something sooooooo what's gonna happen Pistons fans? :D
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,748

Post#1109 » by Snakebites » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:33 pm

I’m still not buying a Dre opt out here.

He can make as much in 2020-21 on the last year of that deal as he’d get in 2 or maybe even 3 seasons with a new contract.

My tentative belief is that Dre and Jackson will not be resigned under any circumstance as everything we are doing appears to be building to everyone but Blake and some rookie deals (and possibly Kennard if he pans out and is resigned) gone in 2 years.

In a rare case, I hope I’m actually right this time. Our refusal to trade for or sign anyone beyond the end of Dre’s contract suggests to me we’re planning a new rebuild after this core washes out.

As for trades for Reggie, Galloway, or Dre, I think you might see some Tony Snell type deals to accrue draft capital. Not much else.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#1110 » by El Chivo » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:36 pm

Draymond Green has agreed to a four-year, $100M maximum contract extension with the Warriors. (via ESPN)
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#1111 » by Kilo » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:39 pm

El Chivo wrote:Draymond Green has agreed to a four-year, $100M maximum contract extension with the Warriors. (via ESPN)

Left money on the table if he would have played out the season. But he played with Boogie last year and then saw Durant blow out his Achilles and realized you take the guaranteed money when it's offered as long as it's fair. $100M over four is the max GS could have offered him right now. I don't think he earns that to be honest, but it ain't my money and he brings intangibles. I think his decline will be quick and steep.
Weaver = Hinkie
Kilo
RealGM

Post#1112 » by Kilo » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:43 pm

Snakebites wrote:I’m still not buying a Dre opt out here.

He can make as much in 2020-21 on the last year of that deal as he’d get in 2 or maybe even 3 seasons with a new contract.

My tentative belief is that Dre and Jackson will not be resigned under any circumstance as everything we are doing appears to be building to everyone but Blake and some rookie deals (and possibly Kennard if he pans out and is resigned) gone in 2 years.

In a rare case, I hope I’m actually right this time. Our refusal to trade for or sign anyone beyond the end of Dre’s contract suggests to me we’re planning a new rebuild after this core washes out.

As for trades for Reggie, Galloway, or Dre, I think you might see some Tony Snell type deals to accrue draft capital. Not much else.

Teams will have money to spend and nobody to spend it on. Dray is off the market now. So it will be Millsap, Lowery and who? It depends on his season of course, but I don't think he doesn't opt out if he just repeats this past year and is healthy. It's 4 years guaranteed vs risking health playing out his option year here. He still makes $20M a season on his next deal.
Weaver = Hinkie
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#1113 » by Canadafan » Sat Aug 3, 2019 4:34 pm

Kilo wrote:

Teams will have money to spend and nobody to spend it on. Dray is off the market now. So it will be Millsap, Lowery and who? It depends on his season of course, but I don't think he doesn't opt out if he just repeats this past year and is healthy. It's 4 years guaranteed vs risking health playing out his option year here. He still makes $20M a season on his next deal.

So do you think we end up retaining him? Or he bails on us and we're left with nothing.
I feel our new FO will be proactive and make a move for a Baynes level replacement with a decent wing in a deal for Dre.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#1114 » by Canadafan » Sat Aug 3, 2019 4:39 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Ya let's hope you're right and we get something for them instead of just letting them expire.
My hope is Reggie plays better than he has these last few years(likely since it's a contract year)and someone near the deadline sees him as a difference maker for their playoffs aspirations.
Galloway I'm hoping we deal him for Baynes or similar before the season so we have ourselves a good backup center.
Dre is a tricky one
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,748

Post#1115 » by Snakebites » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:01 pm

Kilo wrote:

If you're right about the 20 mill a season then yeah, he opts out for sure.

I think we'd have been able to trade him if he was actually worth that 20 mill to other teams though, and there's clear indication we tried in the past.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#1116 » by DBC10 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:03 pm

Next year looking like the worst offseason in recent memory.

What GSW got for Draymond is a great contract. 25 million when people thought he was going to get upwards of 30+ million aka the Griffin contract but he decided to get the long term out of the way.

Read on Twitter

Warriors are dealing and savvy as usual.

Gasol, Milsap, Drummond (if he opts out) and Lowry as next year's big 3 contracts? That's atrocious for a free agency standpoint. I can picture a scenario where CHA, ATL, and maybe even CLE tries to court Drummond with a new 25 million a year deal. I think Drummond takes that if he has a guarantee from them via tampering.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#1117 » by bstein14 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 9:16 pm

That Draymond contract has to be the max we could possibly consider resigning Drummond for. That should set the absolute ceiling for us. We have to let him walk for anything more than that no doubt.

$22.2M, $24M, $25.8M and $27.6M is pretty reasonable for Draymond.

I'd be ok giving Drummond $20M, $21M, $22M, $23M, $24M over 5 years but we would really regret paying him $25+ million per year.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#1118 » by bstein14 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 9:17 pm

The scariest thing about Drummond FA next year is that he is probably a top 3 or 4 FA because the class is so bad. Will get worse if the Raptors do the right thing and take care of Lowry with an extension to reward him for that championship he just brought Toronto.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#1119 » by MotownMadness » Sat Aug 3, 2019 10:01 pm

Drummond will opt out and someone will definitely pay him. His raw numbers are pretty crazy and is young which will cause a overpay, need to trade him.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#1120 » by Kilo » Sat Aug 3, 2019 10:22 pm

DBC10 wrote:Next year looking like the worst offseason in recent memory.

What GSW got for Draymond is a great contract. 25 million when people thought he was going to get upwards of 30+ million aka the Griffin contract but he decided to get the long term out of the way.

Read on Twitter

Warriors are dealing and savvy as usual.

Gasol, Milsap, Drummond (if he opts out) and Lowry as next year's big 3 contracts? That's atrocious for a free agency standpoint. I can picture a scenario where CHA, ATL, and maybe even CLE tries to court Drummond with a new 25 million a year deal. I think Drummond takes that if he has a guarantee from them via tampering.

NYK gotta be on that list as well. All their FA signings were team options.
Weaver = Hinkie

Return to Detroit Pistons