The Next face of the NBA

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Re: The Next face of the NBA 

Post#41 » by zimpy27 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:04 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Anthony Davis.

He's one of the best players in the league.
He has great charisma during interviews.
He plays in LA now, where majority of media is.

Once Zion is a top 10 player then he will probably be the face.

I don’t see any real personality from AD tbh....monotone dry voice. Amazing basketball player but great charisma is s reach Imo. He’s also 27 which doesn’t fit the standard timeline of face of the nba.

Usually to be anointed to face of the league it starts very early around 23,24,25 and surrounded by a lot of hype. Zion fits that mold but his performance will dictate a lot of that.

Giannis has a real chance. Great personality and humbleness to him that doesn’t feel forced when he speaks but genuine and a great backstory to him that makes you truly appreciate his hardships and tough journey to make it to the nba.

Giannis is too shy and you have to strain your ear to even listen to what he says. I highly doubt he would be the next face, he's more of a fascination and I think even Embiid has a better chance.

Zion could definitely, if he can have a rookie season equal or better than Luka then I think he likely takes that role.

AD will have a big platform like Kyrie did. Pretty sure just about every game will be televised. Media will go crazy over him this year and he seems to be coming out of his shell. He's only 26, same.age as Shaq when MJ retired and he became the face.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,829

Post#42 » by SK21209 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:09 pm

It’s pretty obviously Zion if he lives up to even 70% of the hype. I mean the guy’s name is Zion, he’s destined to be incredibly famous.

Giannis seems kind of quiet and plays in Milwaukee. Could also be Embiid if the Sixers won a championship
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#43 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:21 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

I don’t see any real personality from AD tbh....monotone dry voice. Amazing basketball player but great charisma is s reach Imo. He’s also 27 which doesn’t fit the standard timeline of face of the nba.

Usually to be anointed to face of the league it starts very early around 23,24,25 and surrounded by a lot of hype. Zion fits that mold but his performance will dictate a lot of that.

Giannis has a real chance. Great personality and humbleness to him that doesn’t feel forced when he speaks but genuine and a great backstory to him that makes you truly appreciate his hardships and tough journey to make it to the nba.

Giannis is too shy and you have to strain your ear to even listen to what he says. I highly doubt he would be the next face, he's more of a fascination and I think even Embiid has a better chance.

Zion could definitely, if he can have a rookie season equal or better than Luka then I think he likely takes that role.

AD will have a big platform like Kyrie did. Pretty sure just about every game will be televised. Media will go crazy over him this year and he seems to be coming out of his shell. He's only 26, same.age as Shaq when MJ retired and he became the face.

You can be on tv all the time but you have to engage the American consumer....don’t think AD Does that and judging by his endorsement and exposure pre-klutch and lakers neither did big business. He was barely anywhere and while he will be on tv and get more marketablility in LA don’t think he’ll be the face.

As far as Shaq while he may have been 26 when mj retired, he was already a phenomenon and breaking baskets and a once in a lifetime personality- not only is AD not that, few ever will be again.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#44 » by Yuri Vaultin » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:27 pm

If Zion leaps over a Kia for the dunk contest, then we have our answer.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,554

Post#45 » by lonzo_pelota » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:33 pm

Giannis last name pronunciation will be a bit of a hiccup or a entity in itself
i can see the commercials now
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#46 » by VDT » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:39 pm

It is hard to say because he practically needs to be an American but there is known under 25-26 with the talent and personality to be that.

From the non american players the best combination of talent, team and personality is probably Embiid but i feel that all these players that were the face of the league in the past were all more accomplished/recognized than him at his age.
LoveTheNBA23
Senior
And1: 678

Post#47 » by LoveTheNBA23 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:39 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

You can be on tv all the time but you have to engage the American consumer....don’t think AD Does that and judging by his endorsement and exposure pre-klutch and lakers neither did big business. He was barely anywhere and while he will be on tv and get more marketablility in LA don’t think he’ll be the face.

As far as Shaq while he may have been 26 when mj retired, he was already a phenomenon and breaking baskets and a once in a lifetime personality- not only is AD not that, few ever will be again.

It will be AD or Zion. Bill Russell and Kareem didn’t have big personalities either. That’s not the barometer of becoming the face.

AD is playing for the Nba’s Flagship franchise in the Lakers and he will Be on National TV all the time. If he gets a few Chips in the 2020s he will be the face. You have to win chips to be the face of the NBA. AD is better suited for that in the near future than Zion is. Giannis also has a shot to be the face but a small market might make it a little more difficult.
Calamity_Cometh
Sixth Man
And1: 2,109

Post#48 » by Calamity_Cometh » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:40 pm

Giannis.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#49 » by XTraderXL » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:51 pm

Either you never watched Davis during interviews or you dont know what charisma is. There is no other option.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,278

Post#50 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Aug 3, 2019 8:05 pm

Emoni Bates.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#51 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Aug 3, 2019 8:08 pm

Embiid will feast
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
twozeroMM
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,718

Post#52 » by twozeroMM » Sat Aug 3, 2019 8:12 pm

Pelon chingon wrote:Image
AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE!

If Fox takes another leap, he has the personality, fire and game that people love to watch. He also needs to get Sac into the playoffs, that’ll really put him on the map.
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#53 » by perempe20 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 9:14 pm

Embiid, Doncic, Giannis & Simmons are not american players.
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#54 » by mudsak » Sat Aug 3, 2019 9:38 pm

Giannis will take the reins.
jazzed77
Sixth Man
And1: 209

Post#55 » by jazzed77 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 10:01 pm

I'm obviously a little biased but if he takes a big step in the next 2 years, Mitchell definitely has the charisma to be at least one of the faces of the NBA
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#56 » by Dino353 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 10:13 pm

Definitely Anthony Davis.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#57 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 10:36 pm

LoveTheNBA23 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

It will be AD or Zion. Bill Russell and Kareem didn’t have big personalities either. That’s not the barometer of becoming the face.

AD is playing for the Nba’s Flagship franchise in the Lakers and he will Be on National TV all the time. If he gets a few Chips in the 2020s he will be the face. You have to win chips to be the face of the NBA. AD is better suited for that in the near future than Zion is. Giannis also has a shot to be the face but a small market might make it a little more difficult.

You mean when Bill Russell played and the games weren’t even nationality televised or on a national level haha. Good call. Tim Duncan won rings and never was the face of the nba nor a unit mover in terms of endorsement. It’s more than winning. It’s a combination of both Winning and marketing ability and having a personality that the average person identifies with that makes them want to buy your product and make the player relatable.

No doubt AD’s profile will be elevated because he’s with Lebron and winning and in LA but unlike what many lakers fans sometimes tend to believe that doesn’t guarantee he will be the face of the league because he’s a laker. Talking about laker exceptionalism. Lol. AD will hit new levels for him and will be on all over but that doesn’t equal face of the league.

Giannis is in small market and yes that hurts him but he also has what people love- the story. The underdog role and how people passed on him in the draft and how he came to America with a dream to play basketball. He already has global appeal.

It’s a timeless tale and his ability to come across as humble, genuine and even in some situations genuinely new and intrigued to certain aspects America culture is extremely relatable more so than the guy who said he doesn’t dress himself (AD). He already has a signature shoe and you see him on tv in ads all the time and he did this without Lebron rich Paul or klutch.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,148

Post#58 » by jokeboy86 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 10:49 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
LoveTheNBA23 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

You mean when Bill Russell played and the games weren’t even nationality televised or on a national level haha. Good call. Tim Duncan won rings and never was the face of the nba nor a unit mover in terms of endorsement. It’s more than winning. It’s a combination of both Winning and marketing ability and having a personality that the average person identifies with that makes them want to buy your product and make the player relatable.

No doubt AD’s profile will be elevated because he’s with Lebron and winning and in LA but unlike what many lakers fans sometimes tend to believe that doesn’t guarantee he will be the face of the league because he’s a laker. Talking about laker exceptionalism. Lol. AD will hit new levels for him and will be on all over but that doesn’t equal face of the league.

Giannis is in small market and yes that hurts him but he also has what people love- the story. The underdog role and how people passed on him in the draft and how he came to America with a dream to play basketball. He already has global appeal.

It’s a timeless tale and his ability to come across as humble, genuine and even in some situations genuinely new and intrigued to certain aspects America culture is extremely relatable more so than the guy who said he doesn’t dress himself (AD). He already has a signature shoe and you see him on tv in ads all the time and he did this without Lebron rich Paul or klutch.

But it also matters if the national media wants to cover you and can make money covering you and right now even with an MVP, global appeal, shoe, and a conference Final appearance Giannis still gets less coverage than AD and a rookie from Duke who has yet to play a single game. Hell Zion got more coverage than Giannis last year at Duke. Its a difference between global face of the league and domestic face. Giannis can be like Dirk, Yao, Parker, Ginobli and Hakeem and Mutumbo. But he’ll never be like MJ, Kobe, Lebron, Shaq Steph were in this country. I dont even know if he can be as popular as A.I was in this country. People sleep on Iverson’s popularity when he was in Philly. The only way Giannis could get big here domestically is if he played for the Knicks and that’s not gonna happen.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#59 » by freethedevil » Sat Aug 3, 2019 10:52 pm

Saint_Killa wrote:It's Giannis and I don't think there is too much debate on that..

Given how stupidly quick people overreacted and put kawhi above him, I could easily seeing playoff losses to embid, jokic or anthony davis changing that in a heartbeat.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#60 » by freethedevil » Sat Aug 3, 2019 10:55 pm

Lalouie wrote:it's kawhi and he'll be the bridge to

doncic and giannis

but giannis has to not be a one note player if he is to be the FACE of the nba

and the mavs will have to be a contender

The elite rim protector, defense warmer, offense runner, perimiter defender, and interior scoring threat is "one note." The man who can' only score at an elite level is "the bridge".

Trash take is trash.

Return to The General Board