ImageImageImageImageImage

At full strength the current roster is close to best

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

At full strength the current roster is close to best 

Post#1 » by migya » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:07 pm

Durant left which is a big loss but getting DLo means the team at full strength is the only one with four allstar level players. The 2015 and 2016 rosters had more proven role players but this current roster has much youth and potential. Looney and WCS are better, more proven, less injury prone and younger than Bogut and Ezeli were so the starting five is better, at full strength.

Once Klay returns most of the negative media members will again look silly.
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man
And1: 719

Re: At full strength the current roster is close to best 

Post#2 » by Jerry Maine » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:21 pm

migya wrote:Durant left which is a big loss but getting DLo means the team at full strength is the only one with four allstar level players. The 2015 and 2016 rosters had more proven role players but this current roster has much youth and potential. Looney and WCS are better, more proven, less injury prone and younger than Bogut and Ezeli were so the starting five is better, at full strength.

Looney, WCS is not equal yet alone better than Bogut, Ezeli. Bogut dominated games defensively on a level none of the others have sniffed. Looney essentially replaced Ezeli but is forced into starting because we don't have a Bogut.

DLo should be equal or better than Barnes. Or whatever we get for trading him.

But the bench. Noone on Iggy or Shaun's level as back-ups. No Barbosa, not even a Speights. We have McKinnie once Klays back, WCS, Burks and some sprogs. If one or two of the sprogs turn out serviceable that's a win. Our bench sucks.
"What're they gonna say now, boy?" - Wardell Stephen Curry, 16th June 2022
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,696

Post#3 » by Warriorfan » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:45 pm

The rookies this year hopefully be the supporting cast for our current stars their will be growing pains this year
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 763

Post#4 » by jaymo123 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 4:21 pm

Not quite, have to see what the dubs have from the center and wing positions first. Remember, Barnes was good defensively for the dubs back then as well, just wish his shot was more consistent. Still think the dubs need a backup point as well.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#5 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 4:52 pm

Long long long way to go before we have any idea about this roster.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#6 » by Jester_ » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:26 pm

It's all going to boil down to how much Dlo improves, and how he fits in with the roster. If he does as well as I predict and becomes a Booker-calibre guy, we're easily the favourites to win when Klay's healthy.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#7 » by zimpy27 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:46 pm

Unlikely.
Bogut, Iggy, Shaun, Festus/Lee, Barbosa, Barnes, Speights.
Replaced by DLo, Looney, WCS, Burks, McKinnie, GR3.

Take out Bogut and Iggy will make the teams equal. So you need those two guys to bridge the gap with 2015/2016.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#8 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:52 pm

To the OP......I really think Stein starts. He matches up better against the bigger bodies around the league, and Looney will come off the bench like Kerr likes it.

But Looney will get closer to 30 minutes a game next season if healthy. Kerr will use him, WCS, and Draymond almost exclusively at the 2 big spots.

I have hope for Paschall and Spellman to take chunks of those minutes, but Kerr might slow play that a bit.

I also think Paschall will spend plenty of time at SF this season as well as pf.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#9 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:11 pm

PG: Curry - Russell - Draymond - Evans - Bowman

SG: Russell - Curry - Evans - Lee - Poole

SF: McKinnie - Burks - Lee - Burks - Paschall - Robinson - Evans - Poole

PF: Draymond - Looney - Paschall

C: WCS - Looney - Spellman - Smiley

That doesn't include Klay. So until Klay comes back, it's going to be a free for all at shooting guard and small forward. Hopefully some guys really take off and prove their worth.

I think Poole and Smiley will spend lots of time in Santa Cruz. So will Bowman and Lee because of their 2 way status. I don't think Paschall will spend much if any time in the Cruz.

I think Lee will be given a good look through training camp and early in the season to see if he's a guy they keep longer term. Kerr has familiarity with him and I think the idea is to see if he makes a mark prior to Klay coming back.

If Lee plays well enough, prior to Klay coming back, then one of the other dudes might get cut or traded to fit Lee in longer term. Possible guys to get the ax would be Burks, Robinson, and maybe Spellman.

For our big men, I have high hopes that Draymond will take them under his wing and coach them up, and also work to get all of their bodies right.

Both Paschall and Spellman could use some weight loss and toning. Smiley needs strength and natural maturity to add to his frame.

Willie needs to be able to handle Draymond's style. The constant talking and barking is not for everyone. Willie seems sensitive, so I hope he's ready. But Dray could help Willie to become an elite defensive player. Not saying he will, but if he wants it, it could happen.

I don't effing worry about Looney. Dude is solid. Just need to see him look for his shots a bit more. Maybe some 3s.

Gonna be so interesting. I will watch every single minute of everything I can this year. Hopefully they get off to a good start. Signing Draymond now is huge moving forward.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#10 » by azwfan » Sat Aug 3, 2019 9:29 pm

We just don't know enough about... most of our roster.
Complete unknowns:
Poole, Smailagic, Paschall, Evans, Spellman

Underperformed last season:
GR3, WCS

Injury Prone:
Burks

Thats 8 of 14 players!

This roster MAY be just as good as those finals squads, but they're gonna need to prove it before we start claiming as such.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#11 » by killmongrel » Sat Aug 3, 2019 9:36 pm

At full strength, the Warriors can definitely surprise people this year. But I'm more concerned about them at least using this year to get a really good idea of what they need to do for the rest of the core's primes.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#12 » by Coxy » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:00 pm

azwfan wrote:Underperformed last season:
WCS

Really? He was greatin the 1st half of the season, then the Kings decided to go another direction in the 2nd half and cut his minutes back dramatically.

Underperformed from what level? He is what he is, a rich mans Javale Mcgee. I'll take 12/8 from my C on this team anyday, especially with the lob threat and the athletic length he brings to the team.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:57 am

Studs: Curry, Dray, Klay, Russell
Role players: WCS, Looney, McKinnie
Questionable journeymen: Burks, Robinson, Lee
Unknown: Evans, Bowman, Poole, Paschall, Spellman, Smiley

The Warriors go from one of the oldest to one of the youngest teams while keeping their top 3 players, bring in several guys they know can play in the NBA all with a hard cap. I genuinely like this roster and am looking forward more to this year than last. Good job Myers.
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#14 » by migya » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:57 am

Jerry Maine wrote:
migya wrote:Durant left which is a big loss but getting DLo means the team at full strength is the only one with four allstar level players. The 2015 and 2016 rosters had more proven role players but this current roster has much youth and potential. Looney and WCS are better, more proven, less injury prone and younger than Bogut and Ezeli were so the starting five is better, at full strength.

Looney, WCS is not equal yet alone better than Bogut, Ezeli. Bogut dominated games defensively on a level none of the others have sniffed. Looney essentially replaced Ezeli but is forced into starting because we don't have a Bogut.

DLo should be equal or better than Barnes. Or whatever we get for trading him.

But the bench. Noone on Iggy or Shaun's level as back-ups. No Barbosa, not even a Speights. We have McKinnie once Klays back, WCS, Burks and some sprogs. If one or two of the sprogs turn out serviceable that's a win. Our bench sucks.

I agree with you that Bogut was great defensively but don't forget he was injured pretty often and played little minutes, about half the game no more. Ezeli was not proven and had some big flaws. Looney is a steal at the money he's on and so is WCS. Both might well get numbers of 10pts, 7rebs next season. They'll get passes from the three playmakers pretty often.

With Klay back the starting five at least is close to the best and just two or three of the other backups need to play pretty well, nothing special, for the team to be a contender.

Last season, last two seasons actually, the bench has been underwhelming. Iguodala was the only real contributor. Without Durant the team played better most of the time. As long as DLo isn't a bad fit and plays within the system, the team will be one our the best at full strength. It was a real coup to get something for Durant when he could have left for nothing.

Myers could play the master again next off-season if they don't want to max Draymond and pull of a trade like DLo and something like TPE for Jimmy Butler and Draymond for Tatum and filler, who knows but there are options there weren't before.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:02 am

killmongrel wrote:At full strength, the Warriors can definitely surprise people this year. But I'm more concerned about them at least using this year to get a really good idea of what they need to do for the rest of the core's primes.

I think they absolutely have a plan. What they are doing is looking for the contributing players that can make them reach the goal. 6 first or second year players is them trying to find players that have "it".
the_dinks
Sophomore
And1: 154

Post#16 » by the_dinks » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:14 am

Except for the fact we don't have a wing or a bench...

DLO trade necessary IMHO
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:14 am

migya wrote:Myers could play the master again next off-season if they don't want to max Draymond and pull of a trade like DLo and something like TPE for Jimmy Butler and Draymond for Tatum and filler, who knows but there are options there weren't before.

Dray has been signed.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:17 am

the_dinks wrote:Except for the fact we don't have a wing or a bench...

DLO trade necessary IMHO

Burks, Klay, Robinson, McKinnie, Paschall ... how many players do you need on the wing to count as 1?

The bench is a bunch of potential and not much known yet.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#19 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:51 am

Until Klay comes back, the Warriors don't have a legitimate three. McKinnie from what I saw in the playoffs isn't good enough in defense. Burks and Grob are more shooters than complete players. Rather start Dray at the three if they are facing off against a star that night at sf. Hope Poole develops into a backup point guard because this team is short there as well. But that's too much to ask for the first year guard so Evans will probably get some pg bring up the court duty.

Lot of opportunities for the younglings and journeymen to show their stuff. Paschall is the one for me to grow his all around game followed by Poole. Poole has talent but he probably won't mature into the game until two years from now.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#20 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Aug 4, 2019 6:10 am

The older team's bench lineup used to be strong enough to be a playoff team in the East. This team doesn't have close to the caliber bench players. It's going to be tough for the starters. They will have to play more minutes and stagger the substitution pattern more. Honestly none of the bench players look like legitimate starters on an eastern playoff team. The coaching staff really has to get these guys playing at a high level quickly to relieve the starters. The key to this season will be how well the coaching staff develops the younger guys. They have done it in the past with the big three and Looney, but it probably won't happen this year as it will take time to get them up to speed in the system and culture.

Return to Golden State Warriors