Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Re: What are your 10 favorite Blazers since you started watching the Blazers 

Post#21 » by JasonStern » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:15 pm

ANNOUNCER VOICE
NUMBER FIVE - Joel Pryzbilla

Modern enforcer. One of those Olshey style dumpster dives that actually panned out. Either a serviceable starter or a near GOAT backup center of his era. And his performance in those Franz bread commercials? Legen- wait for it, and I hope you aren't lactose intolerant - dary!
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#22 » by JasonStern » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:18 pm

ANNOUNCER VOICE
NUMBER FOUR- Arvydas Sabonis

One of the most beloved Blazers ever. The one guy we can point to and say, "ya know! had we had him in his prime, we would have won like a dozen championships!" and actually believe it despite that not being how the NBA works.
- Chauncey Billups
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#23 » by JasonStern » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:23 pm

ANNOUNCER VOICE
NUMBER THREE - Rasheed Wallace

The quote machine himself. The tech machine himself. The one player willing to stand up to Tim Donaghy. If Darius Miles is the most athletically gifted player the Blazers have ever had, Wallace is the most athletically gifted BASKETBALL player the Blazers have ever had. We're talking about a guy who could have rivaled or bested Tim Duncan had he had the passion. He played for the Blazers when I was in middle school and high school, and it was always so badass to have that kind of bad-boy attitude on your team. Like yeah, you're a Lakers fan and you can root for Kobe as he pitches McDonalds, but where's the swagger? Who gets mad at being selected for the all-star game because they had time off plans for the weekend?
- Chauncey Billups
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#24 » by JasonStern » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:26 pm

ANNOUNCER VOICE
NUMBER TWO - Brandon Roy

Yeah, his career was cut short by injuries. Yeah, he was never able to peak. But to understand Roy's value, you have to remember that era. The Blazers went from having the longest streak of playoff appearances to having the worst record in the league. The Rose Garden was in bankruptcy, Paul Allen was considering selling the team, the media was getting rich off of posting copy-pasta hate pieces on the Jailblazers. Attempts at band-aids like Darius Miles and Theo Ratliff failed. It was a bad time for the franchise. And then in came Roy, who took control of the team from day one. Injuries suck, but at least he went out on an all-time great playoff performance.
- Chauncey Billups
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#25 » by JasonStern » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:29 pm

ANNOUNCER VOICE
NUMBER ONE - Damian Lillard

A controversial pick, I am sure. But in the era of players teaming up, demanding trades, demanding big markets, caring about their brand, etc., Lillard remains loyal. He's been amazing off the court. No drama. Takes the time to sign kids' jerseys, talk to them, etc. His on the court performance speaks for itself. When everyone - especially Vegas - has the Blazers pegged as a 30-something win team, he finds a way to win.
- Chauncey Billups
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#26 » by JasonStern » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:35 pm

Honorable mentions:

Clyde Drexler - Elementary school Jason would be shocked that I don't have him, at worst, top 3. But for all he means to the franchise, he's a Houston guy through and through.

Bill Walton - His Blazers days were years before I was born. But he was great as a commentator, even if he had beef for a while with Portland.

Kevin Duckworth - Just a super likeable guy. Stayed in Portland doing community events, helping heal the JailBlazers era.

Elliot Williams - Another human highlight machine that never got a chance to shine due to injuries.

Marcus Camby - You know you were probably cheering his name over and over at some point.

FWIW, I feel "favorite" versus "best" tainted the Best Blazers thread. So I'm glad to have a chance to explain that just because Sabonis is a favorite Blazer, it doesn't mean he's the greatest Blazer - and other such misconceptions.

I'm sure I'm missing players, and feel bad for that. But I only have so much free time to think about these things...
- Chauncey Billups
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#27 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:33 am

1. Sabonis
2. Lillard
3. Lucas
4. Gross
5. Roy
6. Buck Williams
7. Przybilla
8. Porter
9. Petrie
10. Drexler / Hollins (tie)

Honorable Mention: Rasheed Wallace (game only ... crappy attitude takes him off the list), Nic Batum (what could've been with some aggression) and Rudy Fernandez (horribly used ... like Batum).
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#28 » by PDXKnight » Sun Aug 4, 2019 9:39 pm

Obviously going with favorite over pure talent here. I’m surprised Pip doesn’t have a few more mentions!

1. Przybilla
2. Roy
3. Smiddy
4. Pippen
5. Brian Grant
6. Lillard
7. Nurkic
8. Sheed
9. James Jones (Bonus points if anyone remembers the MR Jones song LOL)
10. Wes Matthews/sabas

Honorable mention: Ime Udoka
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,399

Post#29 » by JRoy » Mon Aug 5, 2019 1:49 am

Portland has been blessed with great players over many years.

Jerome Kersey was my favorite. I remember seeing him play the Lakers in a pair of exhibition games when I was stationed in Hawaii.

Good times.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers