ImageImageImageImageImage

Call it...which of the following will have the biggest impact?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

If you have to pick, which of the following players will break out the most this season?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 7, 2019 6:16 pm

Jacob Evans
10%
Jordan Poole
27%
Eric Paschall
43%
Alen Smailagić
20%

Total votes: 30

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Call it...which of the following will have the biggest impact? 

Post#1 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:16 pm

I like Smiles to end up being the most help the Warriors need this year. But Poole could be right there.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: Call it...which of the following will have the biggest impact? 

Post#2 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:21 pm

I know it's not the popular choice but I'm going with Evans. I think he's going to be a stalwart off the bench, 20+ mpg, the most of all the guys listed. IMO, he's the perfect accompaniment to either Curry or D'lo and will be the first guard off the bench to replace whichever is off the floor.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#3 » by Samurai » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:22 pm

Voted Poole since I think he will have more opportunities to contribute, especially while Klay is out. Smiley could help down the road but he is so young that I think he spends more time in Santa Cruz this season.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,238

Post#4 » by CS707 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:38 pm

Paschall since he’s most NBA ready.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#5 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:47 pm

Paschall
Evans
Poole
Smiley

Just for this season. The following season I think Poole and Smiley jump up.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#6 » by azwfan » Sat Aug 3, 2019 9:11 pm

I feel like Spellman should be in the poll also, seeing as how he's pretty much in line with the other 4.

Having said that, i'll go with Paschall.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#7 » by killmongrel » Sat Aug 3, 2019 9:52 pm

Safe bet: Paschall

But I'm actually excited by all of these guys, even Spellman, who I think plays a lot in the first month to see if he's worth signing for the third year. How they're gonna give him minutes, I'm not sure. But it might require playing Looney more at the 4, and Paschall at the 3, with Spellman coming off the bench for WCS. I can see them doing this at least for the first month.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#8 » by Coxy » Sat Aug 3, 2019 10:55 pm

I've gone with Poole. I like the look of his swagger, and he doesn't look to be a guy that will shy away from the game like Evans does.

If Spellman turns up in top shape, he could be the biggest factor of all. That shooting stroke is real. I see him moulding into a Mike Scott type player for us IF IF IF he can put the glazed Krispy Kremes down.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#9 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 12:05 am

Paschall, but I really want all of the youngsters to play well and a lot (3 rookies and 2 2nd year players is a lot of youth all at once).

Warriors need Burks, Robinson, McKinnie, and WCS to have career years too.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#10 » by donkeylips » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:14 am

Poole cause of his range
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,311

Post#11 » by svart » Mon Aug 5, 2019 10:23 am

i went with Poole. He'll have a lot of available minutes to prove himself, i and i think he will.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,238

Post#12 » by CS707 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:31 pm

Poole is in more of a fight for minutes than Paschall, no? With Steph/DLo eating up the majority of starter SG minutes Poole is going to be competing with Evans, Lee, Burks, etc. Paschall is really just competing with Spellman assuming Smiley is going to be playing mostly center.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#13 » by whatisacenter » Mon Aug 5, 2019 4:34 pm

this was actually a pretty tough decision for me. I went with Evans based on our need for players who will be a plus on defense. I think the Paschall and Poole will contribute too and Smiley has a lot of promise but I think his body will need another year of maturity before he can hang in the NBA without getting into foul trouble.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
likemycurryhot
Senior
And1: 688

Post#14 » by likemycurryhot » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:11 am

I want to say Evans but I just don’t think he’s an NBA level talent. I’ll go with Poole based on the number of minutes he’ll get and the fact that he’s gonna let it fly.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#15 » by Mylie10 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:48 am

likemycurryhot wrote:I want to say Evans but I just don’t think he’s an NBA level talent. I’ll go with Poole based on the number of minutes he’ll get and the fact that he’s gonna let it fly.

Not trying to be snarky at all. I want to ask you a legit question.

Why would the Warriors be grooming him to have a potential significant role on the team if he's not, "NBA level talent"?

I had some harsh takes on him last year, and by no means am I expecting bit things, but not an NBA level talent is pretty harsh.

I think he's going to surprise us a bit with merely fitting in with the main group. I think if the expectation is for him to do subtle things that help win games, then it can work. But if we want him to score big, or be a big impact player, then we might be disappointed.

Honestly if he can shoot around 37% from 3 or better, make open jump shots, move the ball, and especially play good defense, then I'll be pumped.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
likemycurryhot
Senior
And1: 688

Post#16 » by likemycurryhot » Tue Aug 6, 2019 6:05 am

Mylie10 wrote:
likemycurryhot wrote:I want to say Evans but I just don’t think he’s an NBA level talent. I’ll go with Poole based on the number of minutes he’ll get and the fact that he’s gonna let it fly.

Not trying to be snarky at all. I want to ask you a legit question.

Why would the Warriors be grooming him to have a potential significant role on the team if he's not, "NBA level talent"?

I had some harsh takes on him last year, and by no means am I expecting bit things, but not an NBA level talent is pretty harsh.

I think he's going to surprise us a bit with merely fitting in with the main group. I think if the expectation is for him to do subtle things that help win games, then it can work. But if we want him to score big, or be a big impact player, then we might be disappointed.

Honestly if he can shoot around 37% from 3 or better, make open jump shots, move the ball, and especially play good defense, then I'll be pumped.

I hear you. It’s easier than easy to make sweeping judgements from behind a keyboard about dudes that are, in a vacuum, incredibly talented and have gotten way farther in their respective careers than the vast majority of other humans. However, the reality of professional sports is, in a word, harsh.

For his sake and for the Warriors benefit, I hope that you’re right and he surprises us with his offensive prowess. But, and I’m honestly not trying to be overly negative, he just hasn’t shown even a glimmer of promise while in an NBA game. I realize that one year is not enough time to draw definitive conclusions but even Pat McCaw had stretches of brilliance in his first year. Obviously I could be wrong but, so far, there’s nothing tangible that I’ve seen to make me feel hopeful.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#17 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 2:31 pm

likemycurryhot wrote:I hear you. It’s easier than easy to make sweeping judgements from behind a keyboard about dudes that are, in a vacuum, incredibly talented and have gotten way farther in their respective careers than the vast majority of other humans. However, the reality of professional sports is, in a word, harsh.

For his sake and for the Warriors benefit, I hope that you’re right and he surprises us with his offensive prowess. But, and I’m honestly not trying to be overly negative, he just hasn’t shown even a glimmer of promise while in an NBA game. I realize that one year is not enough time to draw definitive conclusions but even Pat McCaw had stretches of brilliance in his first year. Obviously I could be wrong but, so far, there’s nothing tangible that I’ve seen to make me feel hopeful.

I watch G-league games and have definitely seen enough to have hope. His BBIQ is definitely high ... it doesn't make him have much confidence however which was, I think, his biggest issue in his very limited time in NBA games, it also didn't help that his only minutes tended to be garbage time which is not the time for a "glue" guy to shine.

He's changed his shooting form for the better, his mid-range game has become reliable, long range is still not quite smooth. But while his shooting is not his strength, the other parts of his game are much stronger.

All that said G-league to NBA is a BIG step, and I expect there to be growing pains, but I think he will be, by the end of the season, the guy who keeps the 2nd unit stable and moving, like Livingston used to do.

Return to Golden State Warriors