ImageImageImageImageImage

At full strength the current roster is close to best

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: At full strength the current roster is close to best 

Post#41 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 2:37 am

SF_Warriors wrote:If they can pick up a couple of rotation bench guys before the playoffs we will be in business. I want them to succeed throughout, but with lacking depth and missing an all star, it may be tough for them early on.

They need to create them, they can't really afford to pick people up. They have one roster spot they can fill late, and they can cut McKinnie for another one, but then they don't have McKinnie. They can't clear any space by cutting anyone else as far as I can see.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,042

Post#42 » by Jester_ » Tue Aug 6, 2019 2:40 am

Samurai wrote:
Jester_ wrote:We would have beaten the Raptors and won the chip with a healthy Klay Thompson, and literally zero bench. I feel better about our bench this year than I have in a while tbh.

That is pretty debatable; we were about even with the Raps with a healthy Klay. I do think we would have beaten them with a healthy KD and a healthy Klay and literally zero bench. Not sure if our current full-strength starting lineup is as good as last season, but if DLo shines while fitting in seamlessly and WCS exceeds expectations, we could be pretty close.

If we were even with the champions with an inferior roster to what we're going to have into next year, I think my point still stands, no?
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#43 » by killmongrel » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:02 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:If they can pick up a couple of rotation bench guys before the playoffs we will be in business. I want them to succeed throughout, but with lacking depth and missing an all star, it may be tough for them early on.

They need to create them, they can't really afford to pick people up. They have one roster spot they can fill late, and they can cut McKinnie for another one, but then they don't have McKinnie. They can't clear any space by cutting anyone else as far as I can see.

So if a player gets bought out, we can sign them under the hard cap since their salary would be pro-rated? And this could be done even without cutting McKinnie?
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#44 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:45 am

Jester_ wrote:
Samurai wrote:
Jester_ wrote:We would have beaten the Raptors and won the chip with a healthy Klay Thompson, and literally zero bench. I feel better about our bench this year than I have in a while tbh.

That is pretty debatable; we were about even with the Raps with a healthy Klay. I do think we would have beaten them with a healthy KD and a healthy Klay and literally zero bench. Not sure if our current full-strength starting lineup is as good as last season, but if DLo shines while fitting in seamlessly and WCS exceeds expectations, we could be pretty close.

If we were even with the champions with an inferior roster to what we're going to have into next year, I think my point still stands, no?

Depends, not sure what your point is exactly. You stated that "we would have beaten the Raptors and won the chip with a healthy Klay and literally zero bench" - I replied that is pretty debatable. If your point is to take the current roster at full strength and time-machine back to last year, that is possible but I also have my doubts. Klay would be worn down if he had to guard Kawhi all the time without having Iggy to help out. And we don't know how well DLo could defend Lowry or FVV. If your point is that the current roster could defeat the Raptors this year, then yes I agree because I don't think the Raps are as good without Kawhi. But if your point is that the current roster could be the champs this year, then I think that is doubtful because a number of teams have significantly improved over last season.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:20 am

killmongrel wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

So if a player gets bought out, we can sign them under the hard cap since their salary would be pro-rated? And this could be done even without cutting McKinnie?

1 player can be added right at the end of the year, yes.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#46 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:27 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

1 player can be added right at the end of the year, yes.

Ah snap thank you for that info
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,187

Post#47 » by clyde21 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 6:12 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
the_dinks wrote:Except for the fact we don't have a wing or a bench...

DLO trade necessary IMHO

Burks, Klay, Robinson, McKinnie, Paschall ... how many players do you need on the wing to count as 1?

The bench is a bunch of potential and not much known yet.

Paschall? admit u dont know wtf a wing is so we can all move on.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#48 » by DAWill1128 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:40 am

I think we are probably a 6th-9th seed till Klay returns. The West has gotten better and we just don't have enough on offense imo till Klay gets back. But I also think we might just win the West again regardless of seeding going into the playoffs. The way I look at it is who really wants to chase our guards around who can all drill 3's at will? Or the fact that we will play three elite passers in Curry, Russell, and Green. You would have to be out of your mind to want to face us come playoff time with the passing and shooting this team has.

I am back and fourth on starting WCS or Looney. I do think with Russell running the pick n roll with Green and the Splash Brothers on the wings ready to drill 3's and WCS as the lob man that we will demolish teams on offense no doubt. But I do like the system continuity of playing Looney, and WCS provides nice scoring punch off the bench.

Small forward is kind of a toss till Klay returns, I guess the system continuity of McKinnie makes sense to start. GR3 is a great athlete who has had injuries derail him. With GR3 the organization must see development potential to pass on proven vets like Shumpert, Sefolosha, Holiday, ect. When Klay returns I think McKinnie will play small ball 4 quite a bit.

I like Spellman. I think Spellman is more like Speights imo than Draymond. Spellman like Speights is a big guy who is inconsistent but had some great shooting games like Speights had.

Burks I think is an awesome grab because he is a combo gaurd and create shots and play both the 1 and 2. I have been vouching for a slasher since Barbosa left and I think Burks will always play the 2 when Curry or Russell subs out as a complimentary scorer. Burks has had some good scoring years.

Lee I think will do well as the designated sharpshooter off the bench, I think he will beat all the other young guards out for the 4th spot on guard rotation.

C WCS, Looney, Smailagic
PF Green, Spellman, Paschall
SF Klay, McKinnie, GR3
SG Russell, Lee, Poole
PG Curry, Burks, Evans

The underrated aspect of the roster is that we had zero shooting off the bench last year. We ran some really bad shooting lineups. This year we have more guys who can hit 3's like we had pre-Durant.

The reason I don' think the run is over is because LeBron is at the end of his career, they are not at the beginning of some run. Kawhi was on major load management last year and he looked in pain a lot last year. If things don't play out perfectly in LA you have 4 all-stars in Golden State with team chemistry ready to make you pay.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#49 » by The-Power » Tue Aug 6, 2019 12:12 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:The original championship team had a bench of
Pg livingston
Sg barbosa
Sf iguodala
Pf speights/lee
C ezeli/speights
Good enough to be 5th place in the east last year

Sorry but that's beyond preposterous.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 2:32 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
the_dinks wrote:Except for the fact we don't have a wing or a bench...

DLO trade necessary IMHO

Burks, Klay, Robinson, McKinnie, Paschall ... how many players do you need on the wing to count as 1?

The bench is a bunch of potential and not much known yet.

Paschall? admit u dont know wtf a wing is so we can all move on.

Wingz? I know all bout wingz!

(I thought you blocked me ... guess not)
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 2:39 pm

Starting WCS or Looney is likely a game by game decision. It also may matter emotionally more to WCS than Looney and that might factor in. Other players who will get some 5 minutes are Dray, Smiley, and Spellman.

The guard spots are solid, PF is solid, the SF position is going to be pretty much everyone on the roster 6'5" to 6'8".
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#52 » by HiRez » Tue Aug 6, 2019 9:09 pm

I'm more interested in watching RS games this coming season than I have been in years. Gonna be fun.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#53 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:24 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Starting WCS or Looney is likely a game by game decision. It also may matter emotionally more to WCS than Looney and that might factor in. Other players who will get some 5 minutes are Dray, Smiley, and Spellman.

The guard spots are solid, PF is solid, the SF position is going to be pretty much everyone on the roster 6'5" to 6'8".

WCS vs Looney will probably be based largely on match-ups. Since most of the teams in the West have a 7-footer starting at center, I would guess that means WCS would get more starts than Looney. Of course, who the starter is won't necessarily dictate who plays the most minutes or who plays in crunch time - I suspect performance will dictate those situations.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#54 » by Coxy » Wed Aug 7, 2019 12:48 am

I’m looking at this roster, and we really suck at the 3 right now. I’ll accept all scorn thrown my way for suggesting this, but surely we could do worse than plugging Melo into the 3 spot for the 1st half of the season if he can buy into a 3 and D role, until Klay comes back.

Anyone?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#55 » by xdrta+ » Wed Aug 7, 2019 12:52 am

Coxy wrote:I’m looking at this roster, and we really suck at the 3 right now. I’ll accept all scorn thrown my way for suggesting this, but surely we could do worse than plugging Melo into the 3 spot for the 1st half of the season if he can buy into a 3 and D role, until Klay comes back.

Anyone?

I guess you're ready to cut McKinnie. I'd have to object to that.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:35 am

Coxy wrote:I’m looking at this roster, and we really suck at the 3 right now. I’ll accept all scorn thrown my way for suggesting this, but surely we could do worse than plugging Melo into the 3 spot for the 1st half of the season if he can buy into a 3 and D role, until Klay comes back.

Anyone?

Not me.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#57 » by Coxy » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:19 am

xdrta+ wrote:

Anyone?

Evans can pack his bags.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#58 » by xdrta+ » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:33 am

Coxy wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Anyone?

Evans can pack his bags.

Wouldn't work. You waive Evans guaranteed salary, you don't have room to sign another minimum contract. Waiving McKinnie's non-guaranteed contract is the only way.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#59 » by Samurai » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:43 am

Anyone?

Absolutely no way would I cut McKinnie to sign Melo. That makes zero sense to me.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#60 » by Coxy » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:45 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Coxy wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Evans can pack his bags.

Wouldn't work. You waive Evans guaranteed salary, you don't have room to sign another minimum contract. Waiving McKinnie's non-guaranteed contract is the only way.

Yeah OK I guess not then.

Can't we cut someone else? Lee?

Return to Golden State Warriors