ImageImageImageImageImage

I love our YUTES...

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,438

Re: I love our YUTES... 

Post#101 » by RHODEY » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:13 pm

K-DOT wrote:I'd say

RJ
Randle
Knox
DSJ
Mitch

For my top 5. We have depth for youth, but nothing amazing. RJ has good potential, but not superstar potential, and I love Mitch but he doesn't have that high of potential on offense. Then DSJ/Knox/Randle are all fringe All Star potential

Which is why I say we really need another top pick this year

Why. 3 guys with fringe allstar potential and another two with solid allstar potential....W could just sign Greek Freak or whoever is available in 2-3 years. Or we trade contracts for whoever becomes available in 1-3 years.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,375

Post#102 » by Zenzibar » Tue Aug 6, 2019 11:19 pm

Great thread btw.

My pick for the biggest leap in play of our "Yutes" is AlonzoTrier.

Below's a great article, describing how Alonzo Trier pre-injury, showed an unlimited ceiling in his first year. Also speaks on how Trier's only flaw on offense is his tunnel vision. But also mentions that perhaps Fiz told him not to defer and he took it upon himself to just play and get confident.

Mentions how against the Pelicans, game of this summer, Trier quietly dominated.
Alonzo showed last year that he gives even veterans fits, trying to stop his creative drives (Earl Monroe like).

That Trier will be first off the bench is practically guaranteed and I'll be shocked if anyone takes his spot.

The analytics probably show that Trier's accuracy will not suffer much by stepping back a couple of feet.
So I anticipate for Trier playing PnR with Morris, a tough pick man and respectable 3 pt shooter. Once isolated with a big, Trier will be practically unstoppable to the rim as he gets stronger and confident (article mentions a young 6th man Harden in OKC).

You can mark it down, neither Perry or Mills were inclined to discuss Trier or Robinson in any Davis trade. Attitude is, if you want to play for the Knicks, sign outright, we have more than enough cash for your thirst.

https://empirewritesback.com/2019/08/06/new-york-knicks-allonzo-trier-fit-new-lineup/
Stop All Genocides
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,270

Post#103 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Aug 7, 2019 1:01 am

Zenzibar wrote:Great thread btw.

My pick for the biggest leap in play of our "Yutes" is AlonzoTrier.

Below's a great article, describing how Alonzo Trier pre-injury, showed an unlimited ceiling in his first year. Also speaks on how Trier's only flaw on offense is his tunnel vision. But also mentions that perhaps Fiz told him not to defer and he took it upon himself to just play and get confident.

Mentions how against the Pelicans, game of this summer, Trier quietly dominated.
Alonzo showed last year that he gives even veterans fits, trying to stop his creative drives (Earl Monroe like).

That Trier will be first off the bench is practically guaranteed and I'll be shocked if anyone takes his spot.

The analytics probably show that Trier's accuracy will not suffer much by stepping back a couple of feet.
So I anticipate for Trier playing PnR with Morris, a tough pick man and respectable 3 pt shooter. Once isolated with a big, Trier will be practically unstoppable to the rim as he gets stronger and confident (article mentions a young 6th man Harden in OKC).

You can mark it down, neither Perry or Mills were inclined to discuss Trier or Robinson in any Davis trade. Attitude is, if you want to play for the Knicks, sign outright, we have more than enough cash for your thirst.

https://empirewritesback.com/2019/08/06/new-york-knicks-allonzo-trier-fit-new-lineup/

Yassssssssssssssss
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#104 » by BKAY » Wed Aug 7, 2019 1:04 am

Interesting to watch a true rebuild (so far) through the social media era lens. Fun to watch these guys mature. Knicks are giving unprecedented access to young guys. Really only guys you don't see are Ntilikina and Trier, who I think would both benefit from this type of stuff.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,262

Post#105 » by DOT » Wed Aug 7, 2019 1:40 am

RHODEY wrote:

RJ
Randle
Knox
DSJ
Mitch

For my top 5. We have depth for youth, but nothing amazing. RJ has good potential, but not superstar potential, and I love Mitch but he doesn't have that high of potential on offense. Then DSJ/Knox/Randle are all fringe All Star potential

Why. 3 guys with fringe allstar potential and another two with solid allstar potential....W could just sign Greek Freak or whoever is available in 2-3 years. Or we trade contracts for whoever becomes available in 1-3 years.

Because Randle isn't here long term if we want to sign max guys (aka actual all stars, not fringe all stars), then of DSJ and Knox, the likelihood they both pan out is relatively low, so realistically they just end up as starting caliber guys. Then RJ has to develop properly which knowing us he won't, and Fiz turning him into the next THJ is just as if not more likely, and Mitch is a defensive all star, not offensive, meaning he's not a player you build around but a player you use to build around other guys. Plus again, no superstar potential.

We have good youth, but not great youth. Plus I'm not too thrilled about Randle because he's pointless considering he's pretty much guaranteed to not be here when we're actually competing, so his potential is irrelevant
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#106 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:02 am

Kevin Knox is getting lost in the shuffle.
Just listening to him in that clip with the rooks, you can see he’s getting more comfortable in his skin. And for him that’s as huge as anything because immaturity, both physically and mentally is his hurdle. He has every skill albeit not polished yet to be a star. He’s 6’9” and probably gonna grow an inch or two more. He can be a big time trailer three guy because he’s best shooting off the catch. He can grab a defensive board and get to the rim and either finish or draw a foul already even without legit man-strength. I think he’s gonna be scared straight into better habits with Morris and Randle around. He knows he won’t be gifted minutes this year. I think people are sleeping on the kid. And I like it.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#107 » by malik959 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:08 am

RHODEY wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
I can't call this. I get excited even thinking about the players you left off your list.

Dotson
Iggy
Knox...

That's 8 dudes right there that could break out. Em betting 2 do...and that would be fantastic. If 3 or 4 breakout....

:lol: I just noticed the watermark at the top of the GIF you posted says:

Gay Sex is the Answer

lol I'm just now noticing that :oops:

RHODEY
RealGM

Post#108 » by RHODEY » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:15 am

K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

RJ
Randle
Knox
DSJ
Mitch

Because Randle isn't here long term if we want to sign max guys (aka actual all stars, not fringe all stars), then of DSJ and Knox, the likelihood they both pan out is relatively low, so realistically they just end up as starting caliber guys. Then RJ has to develop properly which knowing us he won't, and Fiz turning him into the next THJ is just as if not more likely, and Mitch is a defensive all star, not offensive, meaning he's not a player you build around but a player you use to build around other guys. Plus again, no superstar potential.

We have good youth, but not great youth. Plus I'm not too thrilled about Randle because he's pointless considering he's pretty much guaranteed to not be here when we're actually competing, so his potential is irrelevant

Three years of prime Randle is anything but irrelevant IMO. Maybe he's a keeper and stays. If he leaves that he will get us something even better in a trade if he continues to improve. Or he leaves us with cap space. But by then some of our YUTES will be young vets.

Speaking of the YUTES nobody knows fully what we have... why put the ceiling at just good? Mitch could be great - . Trier too, DSJ if he matures and that new shot is for real. Iggy could stun folks... But lets just say we have a squad of good YUTES and then add one or two maxes ...what more do you really need?

Young teams like the nuggets more than get by with one Superstar and a fleet of good /very good players. Why cant that be us in 3 years?
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,270

Post#109 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:17 am

K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

RJ
Randle
Knox
DSJ
Mitch

I Love Our Yutes!
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#110 » by RHODEY » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:19 am

malik959 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
:lol: I just noticed the watermark at the top of the GIF you posted says:

Gay Sex is the Answer

lol I'm just now noticing that :oops:

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,308

Post#111 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:27 am

K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

RJ
Randle
Knox
DSJ
Mitch

You have a crystal ball? Randle is a potential long term piece. That's why he got a 3 year deal. So...his potential is relevant.

As for the rest of the kids...there's talent and potential at every position.

DSJ is 21 Frank is 21
RJ is 18 Trier is 23
Knox is 19 Iggy is 20
Randle is 24
Mitch is 21

That's riduculous youth!! You can't predict where these guys peak.

Payton 25
Dotson 25
Portis 24

More young depth. This is a rebuild. The idea is to enjoy watching the youth actually develop and try to become a solid core. You have ZERO idea where those guys will max out. There is far too many kids 21 and under to count out. That's just silly.
:beer: RIP mags
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by DOT » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:33 am

RHODEY wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Three years of prime Randle is anything but irrelevant IMO. Maybe he's a keeper and stays. If he leaves that he will get us something even better in a trade if he continues to improve. Or he leaves us with cap space. But by then some of our YUTES will be young vets.

Speaking of the YUTES nobody knows fully what we have... why put the ceiling at just good? Mitch could be great - . Trier too, DSJ if he matures and that new shot is for real. Iggy could stun folks... But lets just say we have a squad of good YUTES and then add one or two maxes ...what more do you really need?

Young teams like the nuggets more than get by with one Superstar and a fleet of good /very good players. Why cant that be us in 3 years?

If you're seriously gonna argue that Randle leaving for nothing is good for us because "he leaves us with cap space," then I can't take you seriously.

And speaking of young guys, everyone always overvalues theirs. Wolves had the best young core in the league a few years ago, everyone knew they were gonna be contending for championships, now they have one good player to show for it. Y'all just assume Mitch is gonna develop elite offensive skills, but likely he's a DJ type, which is more than fine. Trier is going to be a career 6th man which again is fine, but he's not good enough to be great. Iggy is a 2nd rounder, so adding him to a young core is super premature. And we still need to add two maxes before we count our chickens, I seem to recall people being convinced that we were for sure signing KD and Kyrie, or Kawhi, or Butler, Kemba, whoever. What makes you sure 2021 is going to be different?

And for the Nuggets, they have a superstar. We don't. RJ could be, but he's not a surefire stud so it's a very slim chance, and is an unknown right now. Our entire future hinges on us signing superstars in 2021. If we miss, we become a mediocre playoff team for the next 5 years until we're forced to rebuild again because our current YUTES leave after becoming UFAs. So we should at least try and get an insurance YUTE in case RJ doesn't become lefty Kobe like you're positive he'll be.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by DOT » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:39 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

You have a crystal ball? Randle is a potential long term piece. That's why he got a 3 year deal. So...his potential is relevant.

DSJ is 21 Frank is 21
RJ is 18 Trier is 23
Knox is 19 Iggy is 20
Randle is 24
Mitch is 21

Payton 25
Dotson 25
Portis 24

More young depth. This is a rebuild. The idea is to enjoy watching the youth actually develop and try to become a solid core. You have ZERO idea where those guys will max out. There is far too many kids 21 and under to count out. That's just silly.

First of all, Randle's on a 2 year deal, his last year is a team option. Why do you think that is, if he's a potential long term piece, we should have given him a long term contract, no?

And you're right, I can't predict where these guys peak. But you can't either, and you're including guys on one year deals as part of the young core. Where are Vonleh and Mario on that list, surely those young studs we got last year are still part of the core, no? But of course, we have Mudiay to make up for the loss of them. Oh wait

Ridiculous youth? No. I think our young guys are underrated by the rest of the league yes, but y'all super overrate them sometimes. We have some good young talent, I just think we need one more stud to top it off
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#114 » by Zenzibar » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:41 am

K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Because Randle isn't here long term if we want to sign max guys (aka actual all stars, not fringe all stars), then of DSJ and Knox, the likelihood they both pan out is relatively low, so realistically they just end up as starting caliber guys. Then RJ has to develop properly which knowing us he won't, and Fiz turning him into the next THJ is just as if not more likely, and Mitch is a defensive all star, not offensive, meaning he's not a player you build around but a player you use to build around other guys. Plus again, no superstar potential.

If you're seriously gonna argue that Randle leaving for nothing is good for us because "he leaves us with cap space," then I can't take you seriously.

And speaking of young guys, everyone always overvalues theirs. Wolves had the best young core in the league a few years ago, everyone knew they were gonna be contending for championships, now they have one good player to show for it. Y'all just assume Mitch is gonna develop elite offensive skills, but likely he's a DJ type, which is more than fine. Trier is going to be a career 6th man which again is fine, but he's not good enough to be great. Iggy is a 2nd rounder, so adding him to a young core is super premature. And we still need to add two maxes before we count our chickens, I seem to recall people being convinced that we were for sure signing KD and Kyrie, or Kawhi, or Butler, Kemba, whoever. What makes you sure 2021 is going to be different?

And for the Nuggets, they have a superstar. We don't. RJ could be, but he's not a surefire stud so it's a very slim chance, and is an unknown right now. Our entire future hinges on us signing superstars in 2021. If we miss, we become a mediocre playoff team for the next 5 years until we're forced to rebuild again because our current YUTES leave after becoming UFAs. So we should at least try and get an insurance YUTE in case RJ doesn't become lefty Kobe like you're positive he'll be.

Honestly, fk the Nuggets. The presently constituted Knicks are replenished with young talent, moreso than most any team in the league. While the Nuggets may be what they are, the Knicks are about to find out if they have more than 2 future stars on the team.

I'm interested in that, not what anyone else is doing.
Stop All Genocides
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#115 » by Thugger HBC » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:42 am

Knicks would have to be cursed if none of the youth panned out to be something worthy. All of the youth have potential to be really good. Of course they aren't there yet, and have quite a bit of ways to go, but it's too soon to completely rule them out.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#116 » by DOT » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:46 am

Thugger HBC wrote:Knicks would have to be cursed if none of the youth panned out to be something worthy. All of the youth have potential to be really good. Of course they aren't there yet, and have quite a bit of ways to go, but it's too soon to completely rule them out.

And on the flip side, we'd have to be extremely fortunate to have them all pan out the way they have the potential to. I don't think we should rule them out, but we shouldn't rule them in, either. There's not a single young player that doesn't have major question marks about him, and saying we're guaranteed anything at this stage is super optimistic
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,308

Post#117 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:47 am

K-DOT wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Because Randle isn't here long term if we want to sign max guys (aka actual all stars, not fringe all stars), then of DSJ and Knox, the likelihood they both pan out is relatively low, so realistically they just end up as starting caliber guys. Then RJ has to develop properly which knowing us he won't, and Fiz turning him into the next THJ is just as if not more likely, and Mitch is a defensive all star, not offensive, meaning he's not a player you build around but a player you use to build around other guys. Plus again, no superstar potential.

DSJ is 21 Frank is 21
RJ is 18 Trier is 23
Knox is 19 Iggy is 20
Randle is 24
Mitch is 21

Payton 25
Dotson 25
Portis 24

First of all, Randle's on a 2 year deal, his last year is a team option. Why do you think that is, if he's a potential long term piece, we should have given him a long term contract, no?

And you're right, I can't predict where these guys peak. But you can't either, and you're including guys on one year deals as part of the young core. Where are Vonleh and Mario on that list, surely those young studs we got last year are still part of the core, no? But of course, we have Mudiay to make up for the loss of them. Oh wait

Ridiculous youth? No. I think our young guys are underrated by the rest of the league yes, but y'all super overrate them sometimes. We have some good young talent, I just think we need one more stud to top it off

Nah bro. You can spin your negative take any way you want but don't twist my words. I'm done. You have not said anything of substance. Enjoy your misery. You ain't built for this life.
:beer: RIP mags
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#118 » by Thugger HBC » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:52 am

K-DOT wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:Knicks would have to be cursed if none of the youth panned out to be something worthy. All of the youth have potential to be really good. Of course they aren't there yet, and have quite a bit of ways to go, but it's too soon to completely rule them out.

And on the flip side, we'd have to be extremely fortunate to have them all pan out the way they have the potential to. I don't think we should rule them out, but we shouldn't rule them in, either. There's not a single young player that doesn't have major question marks about him, and saying we're guaranteed anything at this stage is super optimistic

But this is why you have to let the rebuild take it's natural course. Some of these guys are really young, some arent that experienced.

It's natural they'd have flaws. I cant recall seeing a rookie come into the league without glaring things they had to work on to be great, so i wouldnt hold that on our guys heads when all rookies have that aspect.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#119 » by Zenzibar » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:55 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

DSJ is 21 Frank is 21
RJ is 18 Trier is 23
Knox is 19 Iggy is 20
Randle is 24
Mitch is 21

Payton 25
Dotson 25
Portis 24

Nah bro. You can spin your negative take any way you want but don't twist my words. I'm done. You have not said anything of substance. Enjoy your misery. You ain't built for this life.

Stop All Genocides
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by DOT » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:59 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

DSJ is 21 Frank is 21
RJ is 18 Trier is 23
Knox is 19 Iggy is 20
Randle is 24
Mitch is 21

Payton 25
Dotson 25
Portis 24

You keep talking like I'm saying everything sucks and nobody's any good. I've been pretty consistent that I'm content with the kids we have, but I want more cause I'm cautious and don't think it's enough.

What life ain't I built for lol, you just sound mad cause you know I'm right. Kids could suck, or they could not. Every year we say, "this guy who's in his early 20s and on a 1 year deal is totally a part of the young core" and then he ain't here next year.

I like the kids we have, but we could always have more
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Return to New York Knicks