ImageImage

Signed By Boston - The Kemba Free Agency Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Most likely scenario:

Kemba re-signs with us the moment free agency opens.
13%
Kemba signs with someone else the moment free agency opens.
45%
Kemba re-signs with us within 1-3 days of free agency opening.
13%
Kemba signs with someone else within 1-3 days of free agency opening.
23%
Kemba re-signs with us within 3-7 days of free agency opening.
No votes
Kemba signs with someone else within 3-7 days of free agency opening.
No votes
Kemba re-signs with us a week+ after free agency opening.
No votes
Kemba signs with someone else a week+ after free agency opening.
6%

Total votes: 47

Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,156

Re: Signed By Boston - The Kemba Free Agency Thread 

Post#961 » by Rich4114 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:23 am

W_HAMILTON wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Would it really help if we did?

Yes. I want to know whether or not we could have brought him back or whether he was a goner regardless of what we did. It makes a huge difference to me, both in my feelings towards this organization and Kemba going forward.

We allegedly offered $160m, which would be less per year than he got with Boston. Needed to be around $175m. So that tells me they decided they needed to move on, but they decided that recently.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#962 » by 316Hornets » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:11 pm

Kemba got a player option in the 4th year. Makes more sense for him than a 5 year contract - take the 3 years, and then opt out for another 4 year max contract if he is still performing top level when he's 32.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,608

Post#963 » by fatlever » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:51 am

Read on Twitter
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,508

Post#964 » by LofJ » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:06 am

It's going to be a long year. I just hope we aren't kicked in the nuts again by the lottery.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#965 » by catch20two » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:43 am

fatlever wrote:
Read on Twitter

A lot of this bad offseason took place under Cho’s watch in the summer of 2016 and just so happens to still be lingering. Kupchak had his hands tied when he accepted the job so it’s difficult to blame him but so much when honestly being patient and not doing anything may be the best thing to do.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#966 » by countryboi » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:49 am

The irony

"What happened with Horford, again from what I'm told, really upset the Celtics. They were thinking they were going to be able to negotiate with him. Talk to him about a new contract and all of a sudden it was like he already knew what his market was and he was out of there."

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254932/Celtics-Stomped-Their-Feet-About-Tampering-On-Al-Horford
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,043

Post#967 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:09 am

Im fine with not overpaying Kemba. Rozier is a solid replacement. Lamb however is going to hurt us immensely. I hope Bacon is working as hard as he says he is on his Twitter.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#968 » by Joest2003 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Im fine with not overpaying Kemba. Rozier is a solid replacement. Lamb however is going to hurt us immensely. I hope Bacon is working as hard as he says he is on his Twitter.

You also thought Kemba was a 6th man and Lamb was a scrub so your opinions need to be taken with a grain if salt by this point. Rozier is there for one reason. To lead the tank brigade. But hey at least now the Hornets have an identity (worst franchise in NBA) just unfortunate they only hit in the draft once every decade.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,043

Post#969 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Joest2003 wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:Im fine with not overpaying Kemba. Rozier is a solid replacement. Lamb however is going to hurt us immensely. I hope Bacon is working as hard as he says he is on his Twitter.

You also thought Kemba was a 6th man and Lamb was a scrub so your opinions need to be taken with a grain if salt by this point. Rozier is there for one reason. To lead the tank brigade. But hey at least now the Hornets have an identity (worst franchise in NBA) just unfortunate they only hit in the draft once every decade.

Lol.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#970 » by Joest2003 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:59 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
Joest2003 wrote:

Lol.

I haven't been on here since 2017 consider this my exit interview lol
LofJ
RealGM

Post#971 » by LofJ » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:37 pm

If the team only hits on a pick once a decade we will be due in 2021. So hope is less than two years away!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Post#972 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:26 pm

Read on Twitter
W_HAMILTON
RealGM
And1: 16,992

Post#973 » by W_HAMILTON » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:02 pm

Well, I finally got my question answered beyond a shadow of a doubt:

Hornets' Best Offer To Kemba Walker Was $160M Over Five Seasons

Kemba Walker qualified for the $221 million supermax contract but he was prepared to accept a contract around the normal max of $190 million from the Charlotte Hornets.

The Hornets' best offer was just under $160 million over five years, sources tell Shams Charania of The Athletic.

“Tough days, (expletive) tough days, I can’t even lie,” Walker told The Athletic. “Excuse my language. It was difficult. I couldn’t see myself just being on another team. It was just hard. That’s all I’ve known was Charlotte. Definitely some tough times. I had a feeling that I wasn’t going to get the offer that I wanted, and maybe not close to it, because of cap space.

Taken from: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255124/Hornets-Best-Offer-To-Kemba-Walker-Was-$160M-Over-Five-Seasons

That was an insulting offer -- **** this team. I feel bad that I actually was angry at Walker for a bit, thinking he went "big time" on us and left us high and dry after just paying lip service to us about wanting to stay here, when it turns out he was being honest the whole time and this horrible organization just screwed him over. This organization chased him off. ******* ridiculous.
Howard Mass wrote:You do not have the right to not be offended. Just because something is offensive to you does not mean that it breaks the board rules.
LofJ
RealGM

Post#974 » by LofJ » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:40 pm

Michael Jordan is a **** owner, news at 11.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,163

Post#975 » by SWedd523 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:56 am

I'm cool not paying Kemba $38million a year for 5 years
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#976 » by 316Hornets » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:40 am

I can't say I liked the way we handled this at all. But, it was obviously a tough position to be in with us hosting the ASG and Kemba getting the starting nod. So, I'll reserve my judgement and just hope we can crawl out of the hole we dug ourselves in. Basically, I don't think we necessarily lowballed Kemba, but if that offer was the plan, then it the team should have known he was likely gone. So, the question is, how much is the worth of having a hometown player starting at the ASG vs. whatever return we would have gotten?
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,733

Post#977 » by Diop » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:04 am

SWedd523 wrote:I'm cool not paying Kemba $38million a year for 5 years

Same, best decision for all involved for kemba to move on.
W_HAMILTON
RealGM
And1: 16,992

Post#978 » by W_HAMILTON » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:23 am

316Hornets wrote:I can't say I liked the way we handled this at all. But, it was obviously a tough position to be in with us hosting the ASG and Kemba getting the starting nod. So, I'll reserve my judgement and just hope we can crawl out of the hole we dug ourselves in. Basically, I don't think we necessarily lowballed Kemba, but if that offer was the plan, then it the team should have known he was likely gone. So, the question is, how much is the worth of having a hometown player starting at the ASG vs. whatever return we would have gotten?

Especially given the fact that Curry and his family seemed to receive more hype during the whole event than Kemba did...
Howard Mass wrote:You do not have the right to not be offended. Just because something is offensive to you does not mean that it breaks the board rules.
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#979 » by BigRedDog » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:44 am

We made the right move. Kemba on 5/$175m is a declining negative asset and he puts us into luxury tax on a team that can't win more than ~40 games if things break correctly.

Not trading him on the cheap deal with 1.5 years remaining was dumb but that's a sunk cost at this point. Re-signing him for more than the ~$160 we offered would have just made a bad situation worse.

I'm annoyed that he went to Boston too.. A team i would never root for due to their obnoxious fan base. Plus they are going to suck this year without horford (and by "adding" kanter) and i fear he will get the blame for the fact that tatum and brown worked out with kobe again
vexco
Pro Prospect
And1: 178

Post#980 » by vexco » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:24 am

W_HAMILTON wrote:Well, I finally got my question answered beyond a shadow of a doubt:

Hornets' Best Offer To Kemba Walker Was $160M Over Five Seasons

Kemba Walker qualified for the $221 million supermax contract but he was prepared to accept a contract around the normal max of $190 million from the Charlotte Hornets.

The Hornets' best offer was just under $160 million over five years, sources tell Shams Charania of The Athletic.

“Tough days, (expletive) tough days, I can’t even lie,” Walker told The Athletic. “Excuse my language. It was difficult. I couldn’t see myself just being on another team. It was just hard. That’s all I’ve known was Charlotte. Definitely some tough times. I had a feeling that I wasn’t going to get the offer that I wanted, and maybe not close to it, because of cap space.

Taken from: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255124/Hornets-Best-Offer-To-Kemba-Walker-Was-$160M-Over-Five-Seasons

That was an insulting offer -- **** this team. I feel bad that I actually was angry at Walker for a bit, thinking he went "big time" on us and left us high and dry after just paying lip service to us about wanting to stay here, when it turns out he was being honest the whole time and this horrible organization just screwed him over. This organization chased him off. ******* ridiculous.

Nothing insulting about the offer all things considered.
mapquest me

Return to Charlotte Hornets