The Next face of the NBA

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Sulico
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,295

Re: The Next face of the NBA 

Post#81 » by Sulico » Mon Aug 5, 2019 4:54 am

If Doncic takes that next step, it will be him, no doubt.
This dude almost beat Lebron in all-star votes in his rookie season! Come on guys, pretty white boy, who likes to talk with the media, likes to smile, confident but humble at the same time.
If he will play like all-time great, this **** will reach Jordan levels and he will be face of NBA not only in US, but around the world.
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#82 » by gorz » Mon Aug 5, 2019 4:55 am

Giannis? Nah

It will be Zion.
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#83 » by pootbrah » Mon Aug 5, 2019 4:57 am

Luka. Lock it, it's a wrap
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,913

Post#84 » by mudsak » Mon Aug 5, 2019 5:34 am

Joe Ingles the GOAT
CelticsFTW
Junior
And1: 400

Post#85 » by CelticsFTW » Mon Aug 5, 2019 5:45 am

Who will win a title first, AD or Zion? That could be a nice storyline for the NBA to come. ;)
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#86 » by yellowknifer » Mon Aug 5, 2019 5:48 am

Pascal on the rise. Watch out.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#87 » by Danny1616 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 6:21 am

Giannis and Embiid if healthy.

Doncic could be the next Nowitzki type of Euro star.
Sulico
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,295

Post#88 » by Sulico » Mon Aug 5, 2019 8:27 am

Danny1616 wrote:Giannis and Embiid if healthy.

Doncic could be the next Nowitzki type of Euro star.

Yeah, Embiid, right.
The guy that recieved 2.7 mln all-star votes in his 5th year against Luka's 4.2 mln in his rookie year.
I see a lot of face-of-the-league potential here.
Knicks7Tape
Pro Prospect
And1: 902

Post#89 » by Knicks7Tape » Mon Aug 5, 2019 8:44 am

Kawhii, Donovan Mitchell and Zion
Mogspan
Senior
And1: 1,101

Post#90 » by Mogspan » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:38 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:I think it will be between Zion, Trae and Luka. 3 highly entertaining and talented players who seem to naturally get people excited. If I had to bet my money I would say Trae. I believe he’s a basketball genius, a future MVP and he’s American, which is relevant in this conversation.

AD has the charisma of a shrimp and he will not be the guy to lead a franchise to a championship. I think Giannis has a glass ceiling in terms of popularity, he will never be the « face » of the league. I just don’t see him having the same hype around him that Steph, LeBron or Kobe had, casual fans don’t seem to care all that much about him.

I know you don't think that defense is a thing, but Trae may continue to be the worst defender in the league even in his prime. AD is actually pretty likable and funny in interviews. He's just ugly and not a big presence on social media. Your hate for him is unreal lol.
Also, something that might surprise people. I think when it comes to athleticism, agility, physical attributes and skill I rate LeBron only in the top 50.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,246

Post#91 » by Harry Garris » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:39 pm

Giannis is the most likeable/marketable so the NBA will push for it to be him
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#92 » by Tiny ball » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:41 pm

Tacko Fall.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#93 » by Paradise » Fri Aug 9, 2019 7:54 pm

Giannis, Zion and Doncic in 2020s with Jalen Green, Emoni Bates, Anthony Edwards as the new 2022 era ascends from the shadows...
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,115

Post#94 » by Edrees » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:05 pm

Giannis or Luka
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,075

Post#95 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:14 pm

Mogspan wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:I think it will be between Zion, Trae and Luka. 3 highly entertaining and talented players who seem to naturally get people excited. If I had to bet my money I would say Trae. I believe he’s a basketball genius, a future MVP and he’s American, which is relevant in this conversation.

AD has the charisma of a shrimp and he will not be the guy to lead a franchise to a championship. I think Giannis has a glass ceiling in terms of popularity, he will never be the « face » of the league. I just don’t see him having the same hype around him that Steph, LeBron or Kobe had, casual fans don’t seem to care all that much about him.

I know you don't think that defense is a thing, but Trae may continue to be the worst defender in the league even in his prime. AD is actually pretty likable and funny in interviews. He's just ugly and not a big presence on social media. Your hate for him is unreal lol.

Lol I just believe that offense vs defense is a false equivalency and that having a liability on defense can be compensated by surrounding him with the right players (unless that player is a center), whereas the gravity and the offensive flow/efficiency that results from having a superstar on offense cannot be replicated by role players or even "mere" All-Stars. Obviously, Trae will need to improve on defense, there's no denying that, and I value defense a lot, especially from a team perspective. But I think Trae's going to be a true superstar on offense.

I don't hate AD, I just think he's overrated as a player and that he has 0 charisma. It doesn't mean I want him to fail. I just don't think he can ever lead a team to a championship (I've always said he could be one of if not the greatest second option of all time, which is not an insult by the way) and if the Smoothie King center is half-empty every time you play, maybe you're not that much of a draw. He might be likable (to be discussed seeing how he handled his trade request along with his agent, not to mention the "That's all folks" t-shirt which was pretty distasteful), but he's not lovable. He's not a compelling character. His game is not that exciting to watch. He lacks creativity on the court and personality off it. I'm sorry but AD is not "face of the NBA" material. I'm not hating, but realistically that's just too high a standard for him.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#96 » by Danny1616 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:43 pm

Giannis, Embiid and Doncic will be at the top for the next 5-10 years if healthy.

Very difficult to determine who the rest are.

Nobody predicted early on that guys like George, Butler and Curry would become top 10 or MVP caliber players.

You have very good young players like Mitchell, Simmons, Trey Young etc. but it's difficult to predict whether they will be all-star caliber top 25-30 players or top 5-10 players.
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#97 » by nurseryc » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:50 pm

Ben Simmons
Mogspan
Senior
And1: 1,101

Post#98 » by Mogspan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Mogspan wrote:

Lol I just believe that offense vs defense is a false equivalency and that having a liability on defense can be compensated by surrounding him with the right players (unless that player is a center), whereas the gravity and the offensive flow/efficiency that results from having a superstar on offense cannot be replicated by role players or even "mere" All-Stars. Obviously, Trae will need to improve on defense, there's no denying that, and I value defense a lot, especially from a team perspective. But I think Trae's going to be a true superstar on offense.

I don't hate AD, I just think he's overrated as a player and that he has 0 charisma. It doesn't mean I want him to fail. I just don't think he can ever lead a team to a championship (I've always said he could be one of if not the greatest second option of all time, which is not an insult by the way) and if the Smoothie King center is half-empty every time you play, maybe you're not that much of a draw. He might be likable (to be discussed seeing how he handled his trade request along with his agent, not to mention the "That's all folks" t-shirt which was pretty distasteful), but he's not lovable. He's not a compelling character. His game is not that exciting to watch. He lacks creativity on the court and personality off it. I'm sorry but AD is not "face of the NBA" material. I'm not hating, but realistically that's just too high a standard for him.

That's fair. Individual offense is definitely more important than individual defense, but defensive impact isn't negligible (not that you think it is - I just remember that you wouldn't entertain that KG > Dirk because Dirk is the superior offensive player even though Garnett is miles better defensively and his impact stats are among the best ever).

Would you say that KG never led a team to a title? He didn't have the skillset to be the #1 offensive option on a championship team, but he was clearly the best player on the '08 Celtics. AD's a very similar player in that he can't warp defenses with his presence, but he's one of the best defenders in the league, a very good rebounder, and a very good scorer despite his limitations. Plus he has recently displayed his talent for passing and an improved handle that allows him to create for himself like he couldn't before. I don't think that you necessarily need to run a team's offense to be considered its best player, even though that's usually the case.

Everything said about AD as a person has been positive AFAIK. Calipari was nearly in tears talking about his selflessness. Charles Barkley said that he's one of the nicest people in the world. His teammates in NOLA said that he handled the circumstances following the trade request with the utmost class. Requesting a trade is pretty lame, but he seemed to have been sincere about trying to succeed with the Pels prior to them failing him for the last time. I'll give you that he isn't a leader of men nor face of the league material, but saying that he has the charm of a crustacean is kind of hateful.

I also consider it hate if you're unjustifiably low on a player. He's ranked top 7 in RPM the past two seasons (in suboptimal environments) and has the third highest career PER of all-time (while being an elite defender), yet he's outside of your top 10? Plus you are essentially rooting for him and the Lakers to fail since you've asserted that they won't even make the postseason. You claim that AD apologists are pretentious (Kellerman is tbf), but I think it's pretentious to act like potentially the most athletic and statistically dominant big since Wilt is the most overrated player you remember seeing and to imply that proponents of his just don't see the game the right way.
Also, something that might surprise people. I think when it comes to athleticism, agility, physical attributes and skill I rate LeBron only in the top 50.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#99 » by MugzZo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:02 pm

Zion but it should be luka

Trae young and Fox could be right up there if both make a leap.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,075

Post#100 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:07 am

Mogspan wrote:That's fair. Individual offense is definitely more important than individual defense, but defensive impact isn't negligible (not that you think it is - I just remember that you wouldn't entertain that KG > Dirk because Dirk is the superior offensive player even though Garnett is miles better defensively and his impact stats are among the best ever).

Would you say that KG never led a team to a title? He didn't have the skillset to be the #1 offensive option on a championship team, but he was clearly the best player on the '08 Celtics. AD's a very similar player in that he can't warp defenses with his presence, but he's one of the best defenders in the league, a very good rebounder, and a very good scorer despite his limitations. Plus he has recently displayed his talent for passing and an improved handle that allows him to create for himself like he couldn't before. I don't think that you necessarily need to run a team's offense to be considered its best player, even though that's usually the case.

I think we're essentially saying the same thing. I do agree that KG was clearly the Celtics' best all-around player when factoring in defense. But did he lead them to the 2008 title though? Was he the main driving force behind their championship run? I wouldn't go that far personally. I can't isolate him like I can MJ, Dirk, Hakeem, LeBron, Shaq, Kobe or Wade for example.

Mogspan wrote:Everything said about AD as a person has been positive AFAIK. Calipari was nearly in tears talking about his selflessness. Charles Barkley said that he's one of the nicest people in the world. His teammates in NOLA said that he handled the circumstances following the trade request with the utmost class. Requesting a trade is pretty lame, but he seemed to have been sincere about trying to succeed with the Pels prior to them failing him for the last time. I'll give you that he isn't a leader of men nor face of the league material, but saying that he has the charm of a crustacean is kind of hateful.

You know I jokingly made that analogy, it wasn't supposed to be taken seriously... It's my sense of humor I guess. Anyways, I know that by all accounts he's a good guy and a pretty likable guy. I didn't mean to crucify him for how he handled the trade request, we all make mistakes and we're not talking about punching fans or bringing guns to the locker room. I just don't find him particularly relatable, lovable or charismatic, that's why in my opinion he's never going to become the face of the league. That's the only point I was trying to make, and you seem to agree with the conclusion of my argument. I'm no leader of men myself so I'm not killing him for his lack of leadership either. But it does matter in how I evaluate him as a player.

Mogspan wrote:I also consider it hate if you're unjustifiably low on a player. He's ranked top 7 in RPM the past two seasons (in suboptimal environments) and has the third highest career PER of all-time (while being an elite defender), yet he's outside of your top 10? Plus you are essentially rooting for him and the Lakers to fail since you've asserted that they won't even make the postseason. You claim that AD apologists are pretentious (Kellerman is tbf), but I think it's pretentious to act like potentially the most athletic and statistically dominant big since Wilt is the most overrated player you remember seeing and to imply that proponents of his just don't see the game the right way.

The RPM argument is solid, especially considering how mediocre the Pelicans have been. It's a fact that his environments were suboptimal as you said. I also believe conceptually speaking (feel free to disprove this evidence-free argument) that there are ceilings in how far certain players can lead their team. DeMarcus Cousins statistically improved the Kings as evidenced by how high he consistently ranked in RPM but I also believe that his teams hit a ceiling when he was on the floor because of his own individual limitations combined with his role/usage rate. He could improve them significantly but not past a certain level. I believe the same logic applies to AD (on a whole other level though) as the best offensive player on your team. His RPM numbers are insane, but I believe his impact on winning hits a ceiling after he reaches a certain level of competition as the "lead guy". Feel free to disagree, I'm not presenting this as truth.

PER however is completely unreliable when it comes to big men as it overvalues certain boxscore numbers like rebounds and blocks. The fact that bigs like Kanter, Harrell or Vucevic have ranked so high in recent years would prove that. I'm not saying it's a trash stat, but I only find it useful for guards and wings. So - while impressive - AD's all-time ranking in PER doesn't paint a picture that's particularly relevant to me (besides the fact that he's an incredible player, which I never denied).

I rank AD at the lower end of my top 10 at best, at worst just outside the top 10. LeBron, Curry, Kawhi, KD (if healthy) and Harden are clearly better than him in my opinion. I believe Giannis, Embiid and Jokic are more impactful players as well, for reasons I could explain if you want me to. Then AD's in the conversation with Lillard and Paul George. So he's number 9 at best, 11 at worst. I don't think it's an unreasonable take and I don't think I'm being unjustifiably low on him. I'm just lower on him than most.

We're all a little pretentious in our opinions here. I just see the game differently than you and it's at the heart of our disagreements, which I think is cool because contradiction helps us elevate. I'm not saying I'm right and you are wrong, although I do feel strongly about my views so I get why you would take it that way.

Return to The General Board