ImageImageImage

2019 Post draft, free agency, and trade speculation: ValleyBoyz are back!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Re: 2019 Post draft, free agency, and trade speculation: ValleyBoyz are back! 

Post#1861 » by matt131 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:48 pm

bwgood77 wrote:It really might have benefited Booker to play on the USA team this summer. The team is really devoid of stars, so much so, that Pop was told he will be the most recognizable face to the international crowd. But just learning that system I think would help him...and if they needed that iso star, maybe he could rise up, though it's tougher without illegal defense calls. Bridges may make the team, the way the Select team is playing.

Without proven superstars, Team USA is probably going to have to be carried at times by a system. The Americans can't rely on the tremendous driving ability of LeBron James or world-class shot-creators such as Kevin Durant or James Harden in this cycle. The mega-stars are not here. They'll lean on a coach who believes in a style that tests players' aptitude, selflessness and sense of humor.

They will have to move the ball, because under FIBA rules, there is no illegal defense and teams just dare the U.S. to shoot. Fairly or not, there is no one on this roster that opponents will fear. Popovich's San Antonio teams have moved the ball better than anyone else over the past 20 years. But that's a process, one he now needs to rush.

"We've had guys in the past who are great isolation players, but we can't rely on that with this team," center Myles Turner said. "His emphasis is 0.5. You have half a second, shoot it, pass it and go. We're learning."

The team does have some budding stars. Donovan Mitchell has looked like the best player on the floor at times in scrimmages this week. De'Aaron Fox, who was promoted from the Select roster, has speed and the ability to break down defenses that is likely going to earn him one of the final 12 roster spots. Popovich is working his charms on them.

"We had a run where we played very well and he came in the huddle and talked about what we did wrong," Mitchell said. "I like playing for coaches like that. He does it in his own funky way. He can be sarcastic or serious, but he gets to the point where there's something more you can be doing."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27343815/what-gregg-popovich-doing-coaching-team-usa

Yeah, I really wish he would have played. Not only is it a great experience, but I imagine he could have led this team in scoring (over players like Mitchell and Tatum) AND they would have won. I think he could have gained a ton of respect from the media and around the NBA if he carried the scoring load on a gold medal team. But oh well...vacation calls I guess.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,092

Post#1862 » by Frank Lee » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:05 pm

OFF TOPIC :

Hey MODs....what happened to the 'Current Affairs' topic/board ? Cant seem to find it. Any clues?
What ? Me Worry ?
Jarlaxle0204
Sixth Man
And1: 2,089

Post#1863 » by Jarlaxle0204 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:30 pm

I'm happy Book is not playing honestly. He was banged up for nearly half the season last year. Rest up, focus on our team this year. I expect a fairly significant improvement. Booker looked pretty good going down the stretch last year. Hopefully his long ball returns to form.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,046

Post#1864 » by bwgood77 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:52 pm

First time I've seen Booker in a top 20 list...

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,046

Post#1865 » by bwgood77 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:53 pm

Frank Lee wrote:OFF TOPIC :

Hey MODs....what happened to the 'Current Affairs' topic/board ? Cant seem to find it. Any clues?

viewforum.php?f=69
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,092

Post#1866 » by Frank Lee » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:30 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:OFF TOPIC :

viewforum.php?f=69

I swear it was not there this AM
But then again, I can’t find my glasses when they are on my head :-0
What ? Me Worry ?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#1867 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:28 pm

Jarlaxle0204 wrote:I'm happy Book is not playing honestly. He was banged up for nearly half the season last year. Rest up, focus on our team this year. I expect a fairly significant improvement. Booker looked pretty good going down the stretch last year. Hopefully his long ball returns to form.
Yeah I'm with you on that. He needs to get his body right and have a full healthy season. I also think he had a couple of kids since the season ended so I'm sure some of that life stuff influenced the decision to skip this year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,763

Post#1868 » by darealjuice » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:47 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Jarlaxle0204 wrote:I'm happy Book is not playing honestly. He was banged up for nearly half the season last year. Rest up, focus on our team this year. I expect a fairly significant improvement. Booker looked pretty good going down the stretch last year. Hopefully his long ball returns to form.
Yeah I'm with you on that. He needs to get his body right and have a full healthy season. I also think he had a couple of kids since the season ended so I'm sure some of that life stuff influenced the decision to skip this year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Don't think that kid stuff was true lol I know at least one of the rumored chicks denied it
NavLDO
Suns Forum Defensive Player of the Year
And1: 1,425

Post#1869 » by NavLDO » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:21 am

Qwigglez wrote:
NavLDO wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:Wolves and Thunder are definitely worse than us. Can’t wait for the season to start to show all the doubters how much of an improved team we are.

2015: X and X are definitely worse than us. Can’t wait for the season to start to show all the doubters how much of an improved team we are.

2016: X and X are definitely worse than us. Can’t wait for the season to start to show all the doubters how much of an improved team we are.

2017: X and X are definitely worse than us. Can’t wait for the season to start to show all the doubters how much of an improved team we are.

2018: X and X are definitely worse than us. Can’t wait for the season to start to show all the doubters how much of an improved team we are.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not attributing this to you or anyone in particular...just seems the same sentiment ever year about this time...but in all honesty, I do agree, if nothing else, because we have a real PG for the first time in 2 years...

This is the year. Last year who was even our starting PG? Canaan? He’s not even in the league anymore. We don’t have two rookies starting, we don’t have a broken down Ryan Anderson not a washed Tyson Chandler. We actually have players in their prime. We don’t have a 2nd round pick rookie starting either.
Who’s our oldest player this year? Baynes? He’s not even that old and doesn’t have that much NBA mileage on him.

This is the first year we actually tried surrounding Booker with talented players, whether they mesh well is a different story. If we suck this year and show no progress then all hope is lost and we should probably just give up :lol:

So, taking a look at some of the other teams in the West a little closer, I agree with the Wolves and Thunder, but I also feel, taking into consideration more than just raw talent, but also, positional distribution, versatility, and age/experience, they are potentially better than Portland, Sacramento, New Orleans, and even Dallas. Feel free to skip to the Conclusion--another infamous Nav-novel for you all...

OTHER TEAMS' WEAKNESSES:
The Blazers almost remind me a little of us last year--no true PF. They have about 6-7 guys who most naturally play the 2 or 3, and another 3-4 who play the 5.

For the Kings, it's almost the opposite. Barnes is fine...but Ariza?? Fox is good, but then...and Bagley is still young, but not much behind him either...basically, the Depth doesn't impress me, and I actually like our depth at EVERY position...the Suns are jsut simply more well balanced, overall.

The Pelicans is almost a mix of what I listed above, between the Blazers and Kings. They are deep, deep, deep at the 2 and 3, but PG, and the Center position are very thin, IMO.

And finally, the Mavs...Of course Doncic = Great, but KP?? How aggressive/assertive will he play this season...how long before he 'forgets' about it, and plays 100% physically...ACL is 2nd only to Achilles, I think, in regards to potential for long term problems. Just my opinion, of course, but after that, they have some decent players, but nothing that screams to me--Playoffs.

I'm not asserting that I feel the Suns are definitely the 9th best team in the West, by any stretch...I just think that it wouldn't surprise me, for them to finish ahead of those 6 teams...and it wouldn't surprise me if they only bested 1 out of 6 of those teams, either. I'm just saying I think that is their 'range', presuming 100% health for all teams involved...of course, a devastating injury to a key player on any of those teams would swing in our favor...

POSITION DEPTH/STARTER-LEVEL TALENT:
But look at our team, as a whole--position by position. The Suns do not have a 'weakness' at any one position. Sure, some positions are stronger than others, but as has been stated ad nauseum...we don't have glaring holes at the 1 and 4 anymore. And I'd argue, we have at least 2 players that could start at each position, and not completely 'embarrass' themselves...

Rubio / Carter / Jerome / Okobo
Booker / T. Johnson
Oubre / Bridges / C. Johnson
Saric / Kaminsky / Cheick Diallo
Ayton / Baynes

POSITION VERSATILITY/FLEXIBILITY:
Not only that, but we have guys that are truly, position versatile. I don't mean "hey, X player is the right size, so he could conceivably play Y position, too...

No, I mean guys that have 'proven' through actual play, to be able to play multiple positions...

Booker - 1/2
T. Johnson - 1/2
Bridges - 2/3
Oubre - 3/4
Kaminsky - 4/5

...and then, we can bring up 'potentially able to play' players, like Diallo is athletic enough to play the 3, if he had too. Saric could play some small-ball 5...and Cam Johnson could play some small-ball 4, or Stretch 4, in a dire pinch.

I just like the way our roster looks on a whole; if pressed, I would say we are likely the 13th/14th most talented team in the West, but I would also say the Suns are a top 6/7 most 'balanced' and 'positional versatile' team in the West, too, so IMHO, that puts us somewhere around 10th best team in the West, all things considered.

AGE/EXPERIENCE:
And finally, our 'well distributed' age/experience. Not too old, and not too 'young', either. 2 x Rookies, 4 x 2nd yr (all of whom had at least 575 minutes played, 2 x 3rd yr, 3 x 4th yr, and a 5th, a 7th, and an 8th yr player, with our oldest guy being 32. Compare our 1 player, this season, against that of 4, last year, having been born in the 80s (not counting Fredette). Of course that could change, but when our 2nd oldest player, starting the season, is 28, and he is at the 'less-concerning' old-age/body-wear-related position of PG, that makes us young, yet fairly experienced team.

CONCLUSION:
Factoring in each of these aspects, we are simply, a decently talented, fairly-young, yet experienced team with solid position-versatility. And IMHO, the Suns are starting the season in a heck of a lot better 'place' than in years past.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,634

Post#1870 » by Saberestar » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:44 am

Read on Twitter
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,188

Post#1871 » by King4Day » Fri Aug 9, 2019 5:55 pm

Saw this posted on Reddit. I'm sure, over the years, more 'future former players' will say the same thing:

Per The Athletic article Hawks offer Alex Len a chance to develop, and he’s ready to take advantage.

Excerpt on his time in Phoenix:

He doesn’t blame the coaches for his lack of development because he knows the front office put a lot of pressure on the staff to win immediately when the infrastructure just wasn’t in place to be as competitive as the Suns possibly could be. So while the coaches’ plans for Len included expanding his game, he felt like there wasn’t an emphasis on letting players develop because of the pressure to win.

https://theathletic.com/1126159/2019/08/08/hawks-offer-alex-len-a-chance-to-develop-and-hes-ready-to-take-advantage/
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,634

Post#1872 » by Saberestar » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Booker never stops playing ball. I just love it.
Blonde
Veteran
And1: 3,723

Post#1873 » by Blonde » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:15 pm

DarkHawk wrote:Saw this posted on Reddit. I'm sure, over the years, more 'future former players' will say the same thing:

Per The Athletic article Hawks offer Alex Len a chance to develop, and he’s ready to take advantage.

He doesn’t blame the coaches for his lack of development because he knows the front office put a lot of pressure on the staff to win immediately when the infrastructure just wasn’t in place to be as competitive as the Suns possibly could be. So while the coaches’ plans for Len included expanding his game, he felt like there wasn’t an emphasis on letting players develop because of the pressure to win.

https://theathletic.com/1126159/2019/08/08/hawks-offer-alex-len-a-chance-to-develop-and-hes-ready-to-take-advantage/

I find this strange because Alex Len was never expected to win a single game in his time here. He has only himself to blame for not being able to outplay Miles Plumlee and old man Tyson Chandler. I’m glad he’s coming into his own in Atlanta but I do not miss his river rock hands one bit.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,080

Post#1874 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:41 pm

Blonde wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:Saw this posted on Reddit. I'm sure, over the years, more 'future former players' will say the same thing:

I find this strange because Alex Len was never expected to win a single game in his time here. He has only himself to blame for not being able to outplay Miles Plumlee and old man Tyson Chandler. I’m glad he’s coming into his own in Atlanta but I do not miss his river rock hands one bit.

Len outplayed both Plumlee and Chandler, except that almost every time we gave him the opportunity to do something on offense, Alex choked. In the end, Tyson ended up with the better +/- because although he was just giving us straight nothing out there, at least he wasn't hurting us.

Plumlee really cratered his second year with us. Len was definitely better. Plumlee was basically a way less effective Richaun Holmes at his peak. Len's a good bench player, borderline starter on a mediocre team. It's okay.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#1875 » by cberry78 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 11:08 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Blonde wrote:

Len outplayed both Plumlee and Chandler, except that almost every time we gave him the opportunity to do something on offense, Alex choked. In the end, Tyson ended up with the better +/- because although he was just giving us straight nothing out there, at least he wasn't hurting us.

Plumlee really cratered his second year with us. Len was definitely better. Plumlee was basically a way less effective Richaun Holmes at his peak. Len's a good bench player, borderline starter on a mediocre team. It's okay.

That's a fantastic return for a #5 pick. Thanks McD! :banghead:
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,894

Post#1876 » by Damkac » Fri Aug 9, 2019 11:37 pm

Better return than he got with his two #4.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#1877 » by nevetsov » Fri Aug 9, 2019 11:41 pm

There was a time Tyson was injured, and Len was starting in his place and playing really well. I'm talking efficient double doubles, for about half a dozen games.

When Tyson came back he automatically got the starting spot back, and Len went back to an inconsistent bench role. I never understood that move - if your young guy is playing well in a starting role then you don't push him out for a mediocre vet that was giving you less.
asudevil
Analyst
And1: 689

Post#1878 » by asudevil » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:38 am

cberry78 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Blonde wrote:

Not defending McD...but after Len it was a pretty meh class. It has a decent selection of players who fizzled out and became journeymen.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using RealGM mobile app
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,031

Post#1879 » by SlovenianDragon » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:51 am

after watching all these videos of booker playing ball this off-season I want some of those skinny jean style sweat pants.

At first I was like

Now im like those actually look super comfy and can play ball in them cuz they are tighter...
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#1880 » by cberry78 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:37 pm

asudevil wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

Not defending McD...but after Len it was a pretty meh class. It has a decent selection of players who fizzled out and became journeymen.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using RealGM mobile app

Sorry, didn't think the green font would be that necessary.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain

Return to Phoenix Suns