Chicago Off Season Review

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Re: Chicago Off Season Review 

Post#21 » by dakomish23 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:27 am

They should consider packaging together some of the flotsam and a pick for a more productive wing who’s on a bad deal that expires in 2021.

There are some opportunities out there for an overpaid bench wing.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#22 » by loserX » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:25 pm

ChettheJet wrote:Boylan said Dunn would start and that might only last the pre season

I would hope so. If the Bulls spent a top-7 pick on one guy and $10M/yr on another guy with the expectation that neither could beat out Kris Dunn then they had a worse offseason than I thought...

I've been doing "best move/worst move" for each team so far and I've found Chicago the most difficult. In a vacuum, I like their moves! I like Coby White, even if there are questions about his game translating and/or fitting with LaVine's. I've been a Thad Young fan for pretty much ever. I'm intrigued by Satoransky to some extent too.

It just seems like an odd mix, which I think some of my fellows are getting at:
- leaping out on Day 1 of FA and paying a 31-year-old Thad that kind of contract feels like a move that a team with deep playoff aspirations would do
- signing Sato to a $10M/yr S&T feels like a move a young team looking for test drives on fit would do
- signing Luke Kornet at all feels like a move a lotto team scrounging for diamonds in the dirt would do

I can't even decide whether this feels like a team looking for complements to a young core, or a team with little direction trying to shop at every aisle in the supermarket at the same time.

Today I feel more like the former so am tempted to give a better grade. Still the toughest offseason for me personally to get a grip on, so far.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,331

Post#23 » by pipfan » Wed Aug 7, 2019 6:37 pm

Chic had a great off season. No mistakes, lots of solid moves. We should be in the thick of the playoff hunt, with lots of upside still, and 2021 (and possible 2020 for AD) cap space
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#24 » by NoZoLakers » Wed Aug 7, 2019 10:14 pm

pipfan wrote:Chic had a great off season. No mistakes, lots of solid moves. We should be in the thick of the playoff hunt, with lots of upside still, and 2021 (and possible 2020 for AD) cap space

i predict more of the same from last yr
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 3,987

Post#25 » by vxmike » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:28 am

They got some solid role players, but they need one of Lauri or Lavine to make a legit jump to star if this team is going anywhere.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#26 » by PlayerUp » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:28 pm

TheProfessor wrote:C, Not a fan of White at all I think he has very high best potential.

What are they going to do here?

This draft was weak. Look at picks 8-16. There just isn't much there. Bust or not, White was the prospect with the most upside at #7.
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#27 » by TheProfessor » Thu Aug 8, 2019 10:09 pm

PlayerUp wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:C, Not a fan of White at all I think he has very high best potential.

What are they going to do here?

This draft was weak. Look at picks 8-16. There just isn't much there. Bust or not, White was the prospect with the most upside at #7.

I would have tried trading down, see if maybe I can pick up a piece like PHX or very protected first. Herro or even Sekou would have been better in IMO.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#28 » by drosereturn » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:57 pm

loserX wrote:
ChettheJet wrote:Boylan said Dunn would start and that might only last the pre season

I would hope so. If the Bulls spent a top-7 pick on one guy and $10M/yr on another guy with the expectation that neither could beat out Kris Dunn then they had a worse offseason than I thought...

I've been doing "best move/worst move" for each team so far and I've found Chicago the most difficult. In a vacuum, I like their moves! I like Coby White, even if there are questions about his game translating and/or fitting with LaVine's. I've been a Thad Young fan for pretty much ever. I'm intrigued by Satoransky to some extent too.

- leaping out on Day 1 of FA and paying a 31-year-old Thad that kind of contract feels like a move that a team with deep playoff aspirations would do
- signing Sato to a $10M/yr S&T feels like a move a young team looking for test drives on fit would do
- signing Luke Kornet at all feels like a move a lotto team scrounging for diamonds in the dirt would do

I can't even decide whether this feels like a team looking for complements to a young core, or a team with little direction trying to shop at every aisle in the supermarket at the same time.

Today I feel more like the former so am tempted to give a better grade. Still the toughest offseason for me personally to get a grip on, so far.

Sato, Thad signing makes sense when you think about this team has no one like Vince.
Drafting White was a bad choice give that they could have traded down and acquire a top 10 pick next year with a decent prospect who I like more. (NAW)
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Lost Angel
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#29 » by Lost Angel » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:21 am

like the White pick, don’t like 30m for satoransky.

Should give the keys to White at point guard and let him build chemistry with the starters
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,673

Post#30 » by dorkestra » Fri Aug 9, 2019 3:08 am

Thaddeus Young and Tomas Satoransky were shrewd pickups.

I don't know what to make of the coaching situation otherwise I might have them as a playoff darkhorse.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,572

Post#31 » by Dez » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:22 am

Showtime23 wrote:
loserX wrote:

Sato, Thad signing makes sense when you think about this team has no one like Vince.
Drafting White was a bad choice give that they could have traded down and acquire a top 10 pick next year with a decent prospect who I like more. (NAW)

How can someone who hasn't played a single second be a bad choice? Also nobody was giving a top 10 pick next year.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,187

Post#32 » by Dan Z » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:24 pm

Dez wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:
loserX wrote:.

How can someone who hasn't played a single second be a bad choice? Also nobody was giving a top 10 pick next year.

I can see someone make an argument that the Bulls should've drafted someone else (like NAW), but I think it's too early to tell. I agree with you that nobody was giving a top 10 pick next year. At best the Bulls trade down and get two late picks.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,572

Post#33 » by Dez » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:28 am

Dez wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:
loserX wrote:

What's the point of getting two late picks in a weak draft? They made the right choice taking a punt on a high upside guy in White, people go on about the Bulls playing safe but when they select a high upside guy instead of pointlessly trading back they get criticized for that as well.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#34 » by Prospect Dong » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:18 am

ChettheJet wrote:Most national writers, or would be writers, or semi experts really never get a handle on the Bulls. They have shied away from the big flashy gambling moves because they've seen them fail here and plenty of other places. The fan base remembers the 6 championships, was excited when Derrick Rose came and they've put up with a lot of rebuilding. But they don't get so upset that they force management into big reactionary moves that usually backfire and set the team back for 4-5 years. If you look at the champions since the Bulls won there are probably 10 teams that didn't really get all that close more than once and 10 more that never got close, so the Bulls haven't been inept since Tim Floyd.

The whaler, well got off to a bad start calling the Bulls center Wendell Clark, they drafted Carter jr. And it's baby stuff to suggest they need new ownership, GM, coaches, players and even jokingly arena. 4th in the NBA worth $2.9B, they ain't the idiots in this article.

I think realGM missed on the depth chart

Porter Hutchison Valentine
Markkanen Young Porter Gafford
Carter jr Kornet Gafford Felicio
Lavine Valentine White Blankeney Harrison
Dunn White Satoransky Arcidiacono

Boylan said Dunn would start and that might only last the pre season but for all the geniuses who want to dump him for nothing or pay to get rid of him, he's going to get one more chance to see if he can play and if he can stay healthy. The same goes for Valentine, they aren't doing to declare him garbage because he actually played well when he was healthy and there's no point to dumping him after missing a full season for someone similar before you find out if he's healthy and can play. They have too many guards, they had too few last year, they had too few of everything last year with the injuries and shutting down.

This healthy roster gets at least to 500. They can't lose players for 40 -80 games like last year but on any given night Porter, Markkanen or Lavine could put up 35 points or more. Carter should become a defensive presence and develop an NBA offensive game, either Dunn or Satoransky is going to run the offense If Young and Valentine can keep the bench of White and Hutchison from getting out of control they won't be a liability.

Most of all they don't have any huge contracts that are going to saddle them with untradable players long term, they have their own draft picks and it's not crazy to believe their young players grow and reach their potential.

Neither Porter nor Markinen have ever scored 35 points in a game. They've been close, so I guess next year could be the year, but it doesn't seem like an "any given night"-type possibility.

This offseason seems like a bet by the bulls on their young core and ability to land a difference maker in free agency to complete it sometime in the near future. My uneducated opinion is that they've got the pieces of a solid playoff team, but not yet a contender, but the flatter lottery odds make chasing their dream a bit less expensive than it used to be. I don't hate adding pieces around their probably above-average starters in the hope that they are some future stars on the roster and seeing what happens...
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
scottyg
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#35 » by scottyg » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:11 pm

Still think we should find a way to IGGY to the bulls, need to find a 3rd to make it work!

Bulls get Iggy
Hornets get - Felicio + Dunn 2 2nd rd picks
GriZ Get - MKG + Denzel Valentine

Something like this works
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,539

Post#36 » by jpengland » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:27 pm

The Thad Young signing is hugely underrated.

Hes a great, versatile, defender and stretches the floor. He's going yo make the game easier for that roster.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,289

Post#37 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:22 pm

Prospect Dong wrote:
ChettheJet wrote:Most national writers, or would be writers, or semi experts really never get a handle on the Bulls. They have shied away from the big flashy gambling moves because they've seen them fail here and plenty of other places. The fan base remembers the 6 championships, was excited when Derrick Rose came and they've put up with a lot of rebuilding. But they don't get so upset that they force management into big reactionary moves that usually backfire and set the team back for 4-5 years. If you look at the champions since the Bulls won there are probably 10 teams that didn't really get all that close more than once and 10 more that never got close, so the Bulls haven't been inept since Tim Floyd.

The whaler, well got off to a bad start calling the Bulls center Wendell Clark, they drafted Carter jr. And it's baby stuff to suggest they need new ownership, GM, coaches, players and even jokingly arena. 4th in the NBA worth $2.9B, they ain't the idiots in this article.

Boylan said Dunn would start and that might only last the pre season but for all the geniuses who want to dump him for nothing or pay to get rid of him, he's going to get one more chance to see if he can play and if he can stay healthy. The same goes for Valentine, they aren't doing to declare him garbage because he actually played well when he was healthy and there's no point to dumping him after missing a full season for someone similar before you find out if he's healthy and can play. They have too many guards, they had too few last year, they had too few of everything last year with the injuries and shutting down.

This healthy roster gets at least to 500. They can't lose players for 40 -80 games like last year but on any given night Porter, Markkanen or Lavine could put up 35 points or more. Carter should become a defensive presence and develop an NBA offensive game, either Dunn or Satoransky is going to run the offense If Young and Valentine can keep the bench of White and Hutchison from getting out of control they won't be a liability.

Most of all they don't have any huge contracts that are going to saddle them with untradable players long term, they have their own draft picks and it's not crazy to believe their young players grow and reach their potential.

Neither Porter nor Markinen have ever scored 35 points in a game. They've been close, so I guess next year could be the year, but it doesn't seem like an "any given night"-type possibility.

This offseason seems like a bet by the bulls on their young core and ability to land a difference maker in free agency to complete it sometime in the near future. My uneducated opinion is that they've got the pieces of a solid playoff team, but not yet a contender, but the flatter lottery odds make chasing their dream a bit less expensive than it used to be. I don't hate adding pieces around their probably above-average starters in the hope that they are some future stars on the roster and seeing what happens...

Just as a matter of correctness, both OPJ and Lauri have scored 35(+) and both did it last year with the Bulls.

OPJ had a very OPJ'y 16/20 for 37points in a win vs the Grizz last year:

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/boxscore/2019-02-13/Memphis-at-Chicago/309653

And Lauri himself had another efficient game going 12 for 20 for 35 points in a win vs the Celtics last year:

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/boxscore/2019-02-23/Boston-at-Chicago/309684
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#38 » by pacers33granger » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:34 pm

jpengland wrote:The Thad Young signing is hugely underrated.

Hes a great, versatile, defender and stretches the floor. He's going yo make the game easier for that roster.
The Thad signing was good, though slightly confusing given where their top players play but he is certainly not a floor spacer. He can take threes and make them (so not like a Favors) but not at a good enough clip to be respected by the defense. A lot of his threes with Indy were the result of being completely open and sometimes he even passed those up.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#39 » by BullyKing » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:36 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
jpengland wrote:The Thad Young signing is hugely underrated.

The Thad signing was good, though slightly confusing given where their top players play but he is certainly not a floor spacer. He can take threes and make them (so not like a Favors) but not at a good enough clip to be respected by the defense. A lot of his threes with Indy were the result of being completely open and sometimes he even passed those up.

I'd also take issue with Thad being a versatile defender. He really can't guard anyone but an opposing four.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#40 » by Prospect Dong » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:55 pm

Kurt Heimlich wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:

Just as a matter of correctness, both OPJ and Lauri have scored 35(+) and both did it last year with the Bulls.

OPJ had a very OPJ'y 16/20 for 37points in a win vs the Grizz last year:

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/boxscore/2019-02-13/Memphis-at-Chicago/309653

And Lauri himself had another efficient game going 12 for 20 for 35 points in a win vs the Celtics last year:

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/boxscore/2019-02-23/Boston-at-Chicago/309684

Fair enough, thanks. I checked career-highs on wikipedia, but clearly you guys aren't doing enough to keep them up to date :D

Consider the specific claim withdrawn.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors

Return to Trades and Transactions