ImageImageImage

2019 Post draft, free agency, and trade speculation: ValleyBoyz are back!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Re: 2019 Post draft, free agency, and trade speculation: ValleyBoyz are back! 

Post#1881 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:34 pm

nevetsov wrote:There was a time Tyson was injured, and Len was starting in his place and playing really well. I'm talking efficient double doubles, for about half a dozen games.

When Tyson came back he automatically got the starting spot back, and Len went back to an inconsistent bench role. I never understood that move - if your young guy is playing well in a starting role then you don't push him out for a mediocre vet that was giving you less.
With that idiotic contract they gave Chandler they probably felt he needed to start. I felt from the day they signed Chandler it was terrible for Len, he was a guy who needed confidence and signing Chandler to a 4 year deal that guaranteed he was going to be blocked for playing time was the last thing he needed for his development.

Now with that said Len was/is never got to be more than a fringe starter because if his lack of natural feel for the game. He always looked like a dude who learned to play basketball by reading a book.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
darmani
Sixth Man
And1: 2,724

Post#1882 » by darmani » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:01 pm

Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#1883 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:31 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
nevetsov wrote:There was a time Tyson was injured, and Len was starting in his place and playing really well. I'm talking efficient double doubles, for about half a dozen games.

When Tyson came back he automatically got the starting spot back, and Len went back to an inconsistent bench role. I never understood that move - if your young guy is playing well in a starting role then you don't push him out for a mediocre vet that was giving you less.
With that idiotic contract they gave Chandler they probably felt he needed to start. I felt from the day they signed Chandler it was terrible for Len, he was a guy who needed confidence and signing Chandler to a 4 year deal that guaranteed he was going to be blocked for playing time was the last thing he needed for his development.

Now with that said Len was/is never got to be more than a fringe starter because if his lack of natural feel for the game. He always looked like a dude who learned to play basketball by reading a book.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

This is the exact same reason for some of the moves this summer. When you overload a position, you block players you really need to develop or force players to play out of position.

Last year, we had TJ, JJ, Oubre, and Bridges at sf. Our solution to that problem was to play TJ and Oubre at pf much of the time. What we really needed was a real pf and to thin the herd at sf. They looked at the four and kept Oubre and Bridges. I think that was probably the right choice. Yes, TJ was productive and maybe JJ would get smarter, but sometimes you have to just commit to a player. Now Oubre and Bridges can fight over who starts. I think it will be Oubre, with Bridges coming off the bench both at SF and SG.

The Suns are all-in on their starters at this point. Rubio, Booker, Oubre, Saric, Ayton. I even think they are all-in on their sixth man in Bridges. I am not sure how successful that team will be, but at least we are going into the year with a sense of stability.

Please pardon the cock-eyed homerism for a moment. But if we compare this team to the previous summer roster (pre-Ariza) these are the moves we made.

Pg: Rubio for Melton, Carter for Canaan.
Sg: TJohnson for Daniels.
Sf: Oubre for Warren, Cam Johnson for Jackson
Pf: Saric for Ariza, Kaminsky for Bender
C: Baynes for Holmes, Diallo for Ryan Anderson

This is the net result. In addition we gave up the Bucks pick and a second-rounder. If all of these were the actual trades, it does not look horrible.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,634

Post#1884 » by Saberestar » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:42 pm

darmani wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nice!
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1885 » by Saberestar » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:40 pm

Read on Twitter
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#1886 » by Crives » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:48 pm

Can’t wait
Read on Twitter
?s=21
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#1887 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:52 pm

Crives wrote:Can’t wait
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I know its just a highlight reel, and I know the level of competition is inferior, but still, we had no one on our team last year that could do that at all, regardless of the competition.

This year is going to be fun. I love to watch good passing and team play. And I love good defense. Hoping for at least one of the two.
asudevil
Analyst
And1: 689

Post#1888 » by asudevil » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:18 am

cberry78 wrote:
asudevil wrote:
cberry78 wrote:That's a fantastic return for a #5 pick. Thanks McD! :banghead:
Not defending McD...but after Len it was a pretty meh class. It has a decent selection of players who fizzled out and became journeymen.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using RealGM mobile app

Sorry, didn't think the green font would be that necessary.
All I meant was that there was a good chance that any player we selected with that pick would have been far from spectacular.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using RealGM mobile app
Crives
General Manager

Post#1889 » by Crives » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:15 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Crives
General Manager

Post#1890 » by Crives » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:01 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,031

Post#1891 » by SlovenianDragon » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:52 am

Crives wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Hypothetically if Ayton has a 3 point shot this year the league better be on notice.

One thing I love about Ayton is that he isnt shy to take the blame and talk about how he needs to get better.

Ayton is already a beast but man i feel like this year he will be a monster.

If everything clicks i see no reason why we cant make the POs...

Sleep on the sun and u gunna get mooned...
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#1892 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:49 pm

I think as important as adding a 3pt shot is improved ball handling. It was something that he didn't have coming into the league and he didn't show much improvement throughout the season (not that I was expecting it). But if he really wants to be more dangerous, he needs to be able to put on the ball on the ground. No, he doesn't need to be Kyrie or even KAT/Embiid level of ball handling right now but he needs to show that he's a triple threat. The best big men in the league are triple threats because they can put the ball on the floor. AD, Embiid, KAT and Jokic are all multidimensional offensive players because they are incredibly hard to guard with their ability to show and go.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
darmani
Sixth Man

Post#1893 » by darmani » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:47 pm

El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#1894 » by El Hespiritu » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Mmmh...

I haven't seen Ayton full games enough to state anything.

My impression right now is we shouldn't expect a too noticeable development of putting the ball on the floor.
If he has good working ethics, he'll eventually improve that as any other aspect of his game but these sort of things are more often progressive slow bloomers than sophomore's flashy big steps.

Disagree about that specific improvement being essential to get you a functional 3p shot.

In Ayton's case, a good catch'n'shoot mechanic looks more worthy to develop.

... all of this provided we think Monty is particularly concerned about Ayton shooting 3s. Hardly a good option with current roster.
My educated guess is he's probably more focused into improving his defense at the moment.

Or so I'd like to think.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1895 » by Saberestar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:55 pm

darmani wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/suns/comments/coshi9/suns_regular_season_schedule_insiderrr/

****, the first five games of the season are brutal.
darmani
Sixth Man

Post#1896 » by darmani » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:01 pm

Saberestar wrote:
darmani wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/suns/comments/coshi9/suns_regular_season_schedule_insiderrr/

Read on Twitter
Crives
General Manager

Post#1897 » by Crives » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:50 pm

Saberestar wrote:

Clippers likely have no PG
Warriors no Klay. I think we should beat the warriors actually.
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#1898 » by JDLAW » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:53 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:Mmmh...

My impression right now is we shouldn't expect a too noticeable development of putting the ball on the floor.
If he has good working ethics, he'll eventually improve that as any other aspect of his game but these sort of things are more often progressive slow bloomers than sophomore's flashy big steps.

Disagree about that specific improvement being essential to get you a functional 3p shot.

... all of this provided we think Monty is particularly concerned about Ayton shooting 3s. Hardly a good option with current roster.
My educated guess is he's probably more focused into improving his defense at the moment.

Or so I'd like to think.

Then why are you commenting on this?
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#1899 » by El Hespiritu » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Gratitude for my first laugh today.

Stating and commenting aren't synonymous.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,044

Post#1900 » by bwgood77 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:02 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:Mmmh...

Or so I'd like to think.

Yeah, I doubt he will be shooting 3s off the dribble...just needs to catch and shoot, but you're right, the most important thing for him is defense.

Return to Phoenix Suns