ImageImageImage

Sixers vs the Bucks and the rest of the east

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,908

Re: Sixers vs the Bucks and the rest of the east 

Post#61 » by Wilfried » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:37 pm

Really don't understand why we weren't in on Noah Vonleh (and why he's only on a 1-year deal, 2 million, on the Wolves).
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#62 » by 76ciology » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:53 am

Wilfried wrote:Really don't understand why we weren't in on Noah Vonleh (and why he's only on a 1-year deal, 2 million, on the Wolves).

We got a lot of talent at PF. To start, Ben and Tobias both can play PF.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#63 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Wilfried wrote:Really don't understand why we weren't in on Noah Vonleh (and why he's only on a 1-year deal, 2 million, on the Wolves).

I honestly would've preferred signing him to a vet min and using our MLE on someone other than Scott.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#64 » by LloydFree » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:06 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:

I honestly would've preferred signing him to a vet min and using our MLE on someone other than Scott.

Vonleh is a good enough player to deserve the Room Exemption that Scott received, but Brand doubled and tripled down on fit this year. There really is no role or minutes for Vonleh on this team. Any minutes he would get at PF are going to Horford or Tobias. And the developmental minutes are going to Bolden. It would have been a waste to spend that exception on Vonleh, once they made those other moves.

As for Scott's role, he's capable of playing SF minutes and he is the team's best spot up shooter, believe it or not. Scott had a better percentage on spot-ups than Kyle Korver and Marco Belinelli, last year. Brand went out of his way this year to pay players that played well with, and fit with Ben Simmons.

https://stats.nba.com/players/catch-shoot/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals&sort=CATCH_SHOOT_FG3_PCT&dir=1&CF=CATCH_SHOOT_FG3A*GE*200
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#65 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:59 pm

LloydFree wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

Vonleh is a good enough player to deserve the Room Exemption that Scott received, but Brand doubled and tripled down on fit this year. There really is no role or minutes for Vonleh on this team. Any minutes he would get at PF are going to Horford or Tobias. And the developmental minutes are going to Bolden. It would have been a waste to spend that exception on Vonleh, once they made those other moves.

As for Scott's role, he's capable of playing SF minutes and he is the team's best spot up shooter, believe it or not. Scott had a better percentage on spot-ups than Kyle Korver and Marco Belinelli, last year. Brand went out of his way this year to pay players that played well with, and fit with Ben Simmons.

https://stats.nba.com/players/catch-shoot/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals&sort=CATCH_SHOOT_FG3_PCT&dir=1&CF=CATCH_SHOOT_FG3A*GE*200

Nice find. I think there were good reasons to bring Mike Scott back, I was just surprised he cost the MLE when guys like Jeff Green and WCS are getting the vet min. His advanced metrics are also pretty disappointing and makes you question if he's really an impactful player or just a guy who gets hot free 3 every so often. I know the hive won't be happy with this critique though lo.

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#66 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:39 am

I'm surprised, as well. Especially considering that the team was apparently floating the possibility of trading a 2nd rounder for him at the deadline.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Vonleh. I think he floats around and gives competent, but unproductive, minutes. He's like a defensively-skewed Mike Muscala.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#67 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:34 am

Wasn't exactly sure where to post this but someone from another forum found an interesting stat mentioned on ESPN's NBA rank 2018-19.

According to Second Spectrum research, opposing players shot 41.6 percent when Richardson was the closest defender, tied for fifth best among 100 players to defend at least 700 shots last season.

The only players with a lower percentage? Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, Al Horford and Ben Simmons. -- Williams

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24651811/nbarank-2018-19-100-51-best-players-season

The stat is from the 2017-18 season, but still demonstrates how great we can be defensively this year. I can't wait for October 23rd.

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,033

Post#68 » by ivysixer2000 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:32 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Wasn't exactly sure where to post this but someone from another forum found an interesting stat mentioned on ESPN's NBA rank 2018-19.

According to Second Spectrum research, opposing players shot 41.6 percent when Richardson was the closest defender, tied for fifth best among 100 players to defend at least 700 shots last season.

The only players with a lower percentage? Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, Al Horford and Ben Simmons. -- Williams

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24651811/nbarank-2018-19-100-51-best-players-season

The stat is from the 2017-18 season, but still demonstrates how great we can be defensively this year. I can't wait for October 23rd.

Pretty impressive, but is that the correct link? Kinda surprised AD is high on that list really, Kawhi is just coasting in the regular season so I guess it doesn't matter if he is on there.

It goes to an article from 2018.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#69 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:17 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Wasn't exactly sure where to post this but someone from another forum found an interesting stat mentioned on ESPN's NBA rank 2018-19.

Pretty impressive, but is that the correct link? Kinda surprised AD is high on that list really, Kawhi is just coasting in the regular season so I guess it doesn't matter if he is on there.

It goes to an article from 2018.

Yea it’s a link from last summer. This year’s rank hasn’t come out yet.

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba

Return to Philadelphia 76ers