Jerry Colangelo Declined Carmelo Anthony's Request To Join Team USA

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Jerry Colangelo Declined Carmelo Anthony's Request To Join Team USA 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Jerry Colangelo told Chris Mannix of SI.com that he declined Carmelo Anthony's request to join Team USA ahead of the FIBA World Cup.

Anthony asked to join the team through representatives, according to Colangelo.

“I love Carmelo. He made a great contribution. He was a very good international player. But for where we are and what we’re doing, that conceivably could have been a distraction. I understand why the request was made. He’s trying to reestablish himself," said Colangelo.

Anthony hasn't played since leaving the Rockets last November after 10 games.

Via Chris Mannix/SI.com

alienpick
Starter
And1: 614

Re: Jerry Colangelo Declined Carmelo Anthony's Request To Join Team USA 

Post#2 » by alienpick » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:00 pm

So Colangelo is sleeping with D’Antoni... got it. Makes sense now.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 232

Post#3 » by tigerae » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Pretty lame if you ask me. With all the talent walking out on the US team, Anthony is better than half of the ones that will make the roster and he sounded way more humbled in his last interview. It also looked to me that he really was trying to fit in with the Rockets, they just screwed him over.

I truly hopes he finds a home on a team this season, hopefully on a contender. I can easily see him being a good scorer off the bench for a lot of teams. Maybe even a starter for some teams.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:27 pm

tigerae wrote:Pretty lame if you ask me. With all the talent walking out on the US team, Anthony is better than half of the ones that will make the roster and he sounded way more humbled in his last interview. It also looked to me that he really was trying to fit in with the Rockets, they just screwed him over.

I truly hopes he finds a home on a team this season, hopefully on a contender. I can easily see him being a good scorer off the bench for a lot of teams. Maybe even a starter for some teams.

Unemployed former NBA players who are not better than NBA starters. Not sure why so many people seem to have this completely backwards.

Please people, join us in 2019 where Carmelo Anthony is no longer an NBA player.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Post#5 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:52 pm

There is no team in the league better suited for Melo than GSW they just lost Durant, and Iguodala. These guys need a SF who can really get it done. I would love to see Anthony prove his doubters wrong and take that team to the playoffs.
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 360

Post#6 » by imDatknicksTape » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:53 pm

The_Hater wrote:
tigerae wrote:Pretty lame if you ask me. With all the talent walking out on the US team, Anthony is better than half of the ones that will make the roster and he sounded way more humbled in his last interview. It also looked to me that he really was trying to fit in with the Rockets, they just screwed him over.

Unemployed former NBA players who are not better than NBA starters. Not sure why so many people seem to have this completely backwards.

Please people, join us in 2019 where Carmelo Anthony is no longer an NBA player.

i think team usa did a big favor for melo by not adding him. this usa team about to get annihilated.

btw if jared freaking dudley and udonis haslem can get contracts, so can melo. Its clear that media and nba execs hate him due to horrible narrative hes been labeled of. Its not a talent thing its more than talent in Melos case
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 360

Post#7 » by imDatknicksTape » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:55 pm

IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#8 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:00 pm

Not sure why this surprises anybody.

If you can't make an NBA roster, you're obviously not likely making a team USA one.
alienpick
Starter

Post#9 » by alienpick » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:27 pm

Colangelo makes no sense. Having a star on your team is a distraction?!? Then why did you invite Harden, Davis and everyone else? Every other star turned you down so you turn down team USAs most prolific star? Come on.

It’s obvious there’s some behind the scenes politics going on. If anything you owe Carmelo a shot, he never once turned you down. He played for you, for free, every time; even on the **** teams. When all the other stars balked at the World Cup and only wanted to play the Olympics, he showed up.

Get D’Antoni’s old man dick out of your old man ass and show some respect for the players that gave you respect.
alienpick
Starter

Post#10 » by alienpick » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:31 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:Not sure why this surprises anybody.

If you can't make an NBA roster, you're obviously not likely making a team USA one.

Carmelo can make a roster. He’s better than half the league. There’s a ton of useless scrubs that he is WAY better than. Open up your eyes and realize this isn’t about Carmelo sucking, it’s behind the scenes bull politics. Carmelo still has game.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#11 » by dan-man » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:48 pm

two words: Black Balled.
nguyen925
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#12 » by nguyen925 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:17 am

Hopefully he meant that Carmelo would be a distraction for the media? He looks like he would be suitable to fit the deadly scoring punch off the bench. And then unfortunately below average on the defensive end..
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#13 » by The_Hater » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:42 am

imDatknicksTape wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

i think team usa did a big favor for melo by not adding him. this usa team about to get annihilated.

btw if jared freaking dudley and udonis haslem can get contracts, so can melo. Its clear that media and nba execs hate him due to horrible narrative hes been labeled of. Its not a talent thing its more than talent in Melos case

Dudley and Haslem are obviously getting contracts because they're great teammates and basically assisstant coaches on the roster, not because they're solid NBA players. Unlike those 2, Melo has no future in coaching and is basically just one huge distraction even being on an NBA roster because Melo is about Melo, not the team. That's why Houston told him to go home 10 games in to the season last year.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:39 pm

alienpick wrote:
IWishIWasHarden wrote:Not sure why this surprises anybody.

Carmelo can make a roster. He’s better than half the league. There’s a ton of useless scrubs that he is WAY better than. Open up your eyes and realize this isn’t about Carmelo sucking, it’s behind the scenes bull politics. Carmelo still has game.

I'm not the one who needs to open their eyes pal. Melo is not on a roster. That's all there is to it.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:43 pm

imDatknicksTape wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

This USA team is still roughly 110 times more likely to win it all than any other team. A standard USA team is 1000/1.

So annihilated? Not sure what you're thinking there.

Return to Wiretap Discussion