ImageImageImage

Who Starts next to Kemba and a C, out of Hayward, Brown, Smart and Tatum?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Who of the 4 starts?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:52 am

All 4
3%
Tatum, Hayward, Brown
66%
Tatum, Hayward, Smart
13%
Tatum, Brown, Smart
10%
Hayward, Brown,Smart
No votes
Tatum and Brown
4%
Tatum and Hayward
1%
Tatum and Smart
1%
Brown and Hayward
No votes
Hayward and Smart
2%

Total votes: 107

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Re: Who Starts next to Kemba and a C, out of Hayward, Brown, Smart and Tatum? 

Post#41 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:28 am

Smart is the 6th man.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,426

Post#42 » by Kalela » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:00 am

I really hate small ball line ups. They don't work unless you have a player who is special defensively. It should be Brown, Tatum and either Williams or Theis to team up with Kemba and Kanter/Poirier.
Fire Mazzulla
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#43 » by cloverleaf » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:21 am

exculpatory wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Brown, Tatum, Hayward. I could see something like this minutes wise:

1: Kemba (32), Smart (16)
2: Brown (20), Smart(16) Edwards/Langford (12)
3: Tatum (24), Hayward(12), Brown(12)
4: Hayward (20), Tatum(8), Theis(8), GWill(12)
5: Kanter (24), RWIII (16), Theis(8)

Gets all of the main 5 32 minutes each: Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Smart
Kanter: 24
Theis, RWIII: 16
GWill: 12
Edwards/Langford: 12 total. Whoever grabs it, or they split.
Semi/Wanamaker/Poirier looking at spot minutes unless they earn more/injuries/etc.

I'd probably token start Timelord, but Kanter is ok if you stagger later.

Excellent work!

Indeed. I'd just hold Smart to his usual 30 and give those extra 2 minutes to Tacko for a 6-minute cameo once every 3 games! :P
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Post#44 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:37 pm

Walker
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Kanter.

Hayward will come off the bench and Tatum and Brown will continue to think he is Stevens boy and be resentful that he is getting playing time over them. That was a major problem last year that Ainge failed to address this year.
*Insert witty signature here.*
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#45 » by GuyClinch » Fri Aug 2, 2019 8:01 pm

Hayward will start. Kanter is the guy that could lose his spot if he plays like garbage. If Brown is terrible Smart takes him spot. The problem is any lineup with Kanter is going to defend poorly. Bring Smart and R. Williams off bench for massive defense boost.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,405

Post#46 » by theman » Fri Aug 2, 2019 8:12 pm

GuyClinch wrote:Hayward will start. Kanter is the guy that could lose his spot if he plays like garbage. If Brown is terrible Smart takes him spot. The problem is any lineup with Kanter is going to defend poorly. Bring Smart and R. Williams off bench for massive defense boost.

Hayward came off the bench quite a bit last season and it seemed to work. And if you are worried about Kanter's defense Smart can help. But I don't believe one player makes up for another's defensive short comings. Team defense matters.

If Kanter does not start, and I think there is a chance he does not, Kanter and Hayward would give us the most potent bench in the league.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#47 » by Dannyboy36 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 8:51 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:Walker
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Kanter.

Hayward will come off the bench and Tatum and Brown will continue to think he is Stevens boy and be resentful that he is getting playing time over them. That was a major problem last year that Ainge failed to address this year.

I doubt Hayward would be interested in stating if he’s not starting and we’re not a contender. Do you think in this scenario we best showcase him best to get the most in return for a trade? I’m of the opinion that Hayward is significantly more skilled than Tatum and brown so I’m wary of benching our 2nd best player.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#48 » by Dannyboy36 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 8:53 pm

theman wrote:
GuyClinch wrote:Hayward will start. Kanter is the guy that could lose his spot if he plays like garbage. If Brown is terrible Smart takes him spot. The problem is any lineup with Kanter is going to defend poorly. Bring Smart and R. Williams off bench for massive defense boost.

Hayward came off the bench quite a bit last season and it seemed to work. And if you are worried about Kanter's defense Smart can help. But I don't believe one player makes up for another's defensive short comings. Team defense matters.

If Kanter does not start, and I think there is a chance he does not, Kanter and Hayward would give us the most potent bench in the league.

I just hope the Celts prioritize increasing the value of our best assets. I don’t trust Stevens at all with this. I’m counting on Danny in this but I have doubts.
Cyclical
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,397

Post#49 » by Cyclical » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:03 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Maybe something like the following, to start the season off:

Kemba - Brown - Tatum - R. Will - Kanter

Man, I doubt that will happen but would love to see that lineup at some point. Also, alternately, supersized with Hayward instead of Brown.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#50 » by Ernest » Mon Aug 5, 2019 4:18 am

Maybe brad will just let their play at practice and preseason determine who starts.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#51 » by ddb » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:11 pm

Kemba-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-VP
Smart-Edwards-Semi-Theis-Kanter
GWilliams/BWilliams/Langford fighting for mins
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#52 » by Edug27 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 5:32 pm

Hayward, Jaylen, Tatum... neither will come off the bench.

Kemba
Brown
Hayward
Tatum

And the Center spot is TBD.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#53 » by celtxman » Mon Aug 5, 2019 10:26 pm

djFan71 wrote:Brown, Tatum, Hayward. I could see something like this minutes wise:

Semi/Wanamaker/Poirier looking at spot minutes unless they earn more/injuries/etc.

They will use Poirier much more than this IMO injuries or not
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,275

Post#54 » by Parliament10 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:28 am

celtxman wrote:

They will use Poirier much more than this IMO injuries or not

I don't think that anyone is going to get more than 30 mins, on a regular basis.
I'm thinking more like 28 mins, at the start of the season.

1) We don't need them to burn themselves out, over 82 Games.
2) We need our Backups to be experienced, for the just-in-case's.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#55 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Tue Aug 6, 2019 1:59 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:
theman wrote:

I just hope the Celts prioritize increasing the value of our best assets. I don’t trust Stevens at all with this. I’m counting on Danny in this but I have doubts.
I'm not really sure why people feel this way about Brad. Nearly every player that's left his Celtic teams has been worse elsewhere.

Brad has done a great job at maximizing guys values. Evan Turner, Jae Crowder, IT, Avery Bradley, Marcus Morris just to name a few had their best career seasons under Brad. In spite of the end result, Kyrie even had his best stats under Brad (top 2 eFG% years, top 2 reb years, top ast year). Al Horford had his top eFG% last year at age 32.

I really want to know how Brad is somehow bad at maximizing guys? Because an injured Hayward hasn't produced?
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#56 » by 100proof » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:38 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:Walker
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Kanter.

I agree with this, with the exception of 1 small change.

I think the smartest play is to put 2 tremendous wing defenders beside Kemba and (if you are playing Tatum out of position at PF,) those defenders help him as well.

Kemba (score run offense)
Smart (defend, knock down shots)
Brown (defend, run on breaks, rebound, pass, secondary scorer)
Tatum (score, rebound, make shots)
Poirier or Williams (set screens, defend, rebound)

the reason I put those Centers over Kanter is 2 fold.

1) having a player like Poirier/Williiams to fill that Baynes roll of Hard screens, rebounding, blocking shots and just throwing muscle around and not needing the ball at all will, when paired in the lineup with Smart opens up maximum opportunity for Kemba and Tatum with Brown just behind. Kemba is 1a, Tatum 1B and Brown is 2.

2) Kanter will pair very nicely with someone like Hayward who excels at playing intelligent basketball, facilitating, and capitalizing on fast breaks off rebounds, and kickouts.

So therefore the bench can be a nice blend of youth and savy vets.

Edwards (shooting, toughness)
Langford (play the rookie, defend and score)
Hayward (run the show)
Williams (get some minutes and defend, move the ball)
Kanter (score and rebound)
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,509

Post#57 » by snowman » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:27 am

In my opinion:

Starters:
PG: Kemba
SG: Brown
SF: Tatum
PF: Theis
C: Poirier
Kemba, Brown, and Tatum are the scoring options in the starting unit, with Theis able to spread the floor and play defense along with Poirier's rim protection.

Rotation:
PG: Edwards
SG: Smart / Langford
SF: Hayward
PF: R. Williams / G. Williams
C: Kanter
Kanter's scoring is needed with second unit, so Poirier gives the rim protection with the first unit. R. Williams gives the rim protection with the second unit, Smart brings the defensive intensity, while Edwards and Hayward score. Langford and G. Williams also has spot minutes with the second team.

Deep Bench:
PG: Wannamaker will more than likely be cut or part of trade at midseason. He is just insurance in case neither Edwards or Waters can cut it.
SF: Semi will also be traded by midseason. He is redundant as long as G. Williams doesn't get hurt.
c: Fall will spend most of his time in Maine, with some spot duty to gauge his progress.
Smog
Senior
And1: 801

Post#58 » by Smog » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:32 am

They almost have to start all of Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Kemba for a bunch of reasons, but also because it should be their best group.

It's not the 80s-90s, when you have guys in rigid 1-2-3-4-5 roles. Everyone should be able to run up the floor, switch, attack the basket, and shoot.

If you've got ball-stoppers, the defense can reorganize. You want quick shots or drives every time. This was a problem last year with Kyrie, who jogged or even walked over down screens, stopped, pounded the ball, etc. You need a decision-maker like Hayward to really do small-ball well. Add Hayward to three other good offensive players, and they should find the mismatch with five-ten seconds every time.

This should be a fun team.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,059

Post#59 » by Gant » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:17 pm

One way to look at this question is to ask a different one, which is... Who will run the team when Kemba goes out?

It seems like Smart is the easiest choice for that, as he's a very good floor general. Maybe Hayward could do it, but Hayward as a main distributor seems like more of a short minute gimmick. So probably Smart will come off the bench a lot. Realistically, who else is there to back up Walker?

Having said that, you'd think the starting group will be constantly changing according to health, matchups, and who's earned it.
thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Post#60 » by thomas1897 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:35 pm

Brad Stevens and the coaching staff can have a master plan but the important analysis is team chemistry who plays best with Kemba.

Return to Boston Celtics