Where do you guys rank Kyle Lowry?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Current PG Ranking

Number 1
2%
Top 3
3%
Top 5
21%
Top 10
46%
Top 15
11%
Top 20
7%
Top 30
11%

Total votes: 256

illuminati666
Analyst
And1: 4,561

Re: Where do you guys rank Kyle Lowry? 

Post#101 » by illuminati666 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:42 pm

He remains one of the most underrated players in the league. This Raptors team has consistently been at the top of the conference primarily bc of his leadership and effort. He does so much besides scoring its ridiculous, and was just the 2nd best player on a championship team.

Curry
Lillard
Kyrie
Westbrook
Walker

Lowry

Outside that top 5, Lowry is easily number 6 IMO. Conley, Wall, Simmons all below him and I would be baffled by an argument against that.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,896

Post#102 » by lakerz12 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:43 pm

The_Hater wrote:
GusT15 wrote:
udfa wrote:I knew Lowry was underrated but I had no idea by how much. Besides having been an all-star the past five years, Lowry has been in the top-6 among PGs in RPM each of the past 6 seasons and has posted double digit WS in 4 of those 6 seasons...yet so many believe strongly that he doesn't belong in the top-10?

According to the current poll

46% has him 6-10
28% has him 11-30
26% has him 1-5

I mean,it's a pretty fair voting sample,the "overrating him" posters are the same as the "underrating him" posters.
Why are you singling one group out?

3/10 people putting him 11-30 is pretty ridiculous.

I think a lot of those people were thinking all time rankings. Because at one point the OP said "career wise".

However, given that he's going to be 33 and clearly past his prime, I don't think it's that crazy to put him just outside the top 10. Depending on how expect young point guards like Fox and Ball to progress.

If we're going off of last season then yes obviously he's top 10.
Tim Kempton
Starter
And1: 4,901

Post#103 » by Tim Kempton » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:43 pm

I have him at number 5 behind Curry, Lillard, Kemba, and Russ.
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,504

Post#104 » by RaptorPride » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:43 pm

pr0wler wrote:
Roco14 wrote:i don't know where I'd rank him but all i know is that he's a championship calibre PG which can't yet be said about CP3, westbrook, and many others who are normally seen as better than him

Winners bias.

Was Derek Fisher better than CP3 and Westbrook too because he happened to be on a roster of a championship team? Take Kyle's exact same performance in the finals, but pretend that KD was actually playing and the Warriors win the series 4-2. So in one scenario, the Lowry is hailed as a "championship calibre point guard" and in the other he's just regular Kyle Lowry...despite the fact that the factors under his control (his play on the court) are exactly the same. There are lots of variables to evaluate a player, and one of the least objective ones is cherry picking individual seasons of teams they happened to be on.

Kyle Lowry lead the Raptors to the game 6 win for the title even Kawhi acknowledged that. 26 7 10 3 on 56% from the field and 57% from 3.

You guys need to understand Lowry is like the Draymond version of PG's that can still shoot. He does all the little things that help a team win. Show me all the point guards that can guard every position and not be a liability. The man had to switch on Emiid multiple times and still stopped him from scoring the ball. He wins those extra positions at the end of games. He doesn't care about flashy plays or putting up shots for stats. He finds the open man for the best shot every position. Literally, every move he does is to win the game. He is a great second or third option on a contender but was forced to be the first option for his whole career after DeMar **** the bed multiple times.

When there are games that matter Lowry shows up and kills its.

Game 7 vs the heat
35pts 9ast 7reb 4stls on 55% form the field and 71% from three

Spoiler:

illuminati666
Analyst
And1: 4,561

Post#105 » by illuminati666 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:46 pm

nikster wrote:
GusT15 wrote:All time

Current
Steph Curry
Dame Lillard
Kyrie Irving
Russell Westbrook
Kemba Walker
Jamal Murray
Ben Simmons
Chris Paul
De'Aaron Fox
Trae Young
Mike Conley Jr
Eric Bledsoe
Kyle Lowry
Lonzo Ball
Ricky Rubio
DeJounte Murray

And the reason why he's out of the my top10 is cause he's 33 years old.I'm expecting a quick decline at this point.
He would be even lower if i could rank D'Angelo Russell and Jrue Holiday as Point Guards,but they'll be starting SGs this season so i can't do that.

No idea how you have Trae, Bledsoe or Jamal over him. I’d also take him over Kemba, Conley

Bledsoe over Lowry?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dude did you not watch the playoffs. Lowry completely f'd Bledsoe in that series and has been better for years now....this isn't even a question, c'mon
foreigngrammar
Pro Prospect
And1: 470

Post#106 » by foreigngrammar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:56 pm

Cal And Jay wrote:I'm not a big fan of guards that can't create off the dribble and aren't dynamite from 3. Plus he doesn't have the quickest release. Top 30 for me, probably in the 22-23 range

Okay, wait so you win championship with a fringe starting caliber PG in this league who happens to be your third best and maybe second most important player?
Okay then...
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,504

Post#107 » by RaptorPride » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:06 pm

foreigngrammar wrote:
Cal And Jay wrote:I'm not a big fan of guards that can't create off the dribble and aren't dynamite from 3. Plus he doesn't have the quickest release. Top 30 for me, probably in the 22-23 range

Okay, wait so you win championship with a fringe starting caliber PG in this league who happens to be your third best and maybe second most important player?
Okay then...

Three-point averages
Lowry's past 6 years the averages are 7 attempts per game at 38%. While playing beside DeMar who provides zero spacing.
Bradley Beals career averages 5.7 attempts at 38%. Past 6 years 6 attempts 38%.
Kyries career averages 5.4 attempts at 39%. Past 6 years 5.7 attempts 39%
Lillards career averages 7.4 attempts 37%. Past 6 years 7.7 attempts 36%

All of them get praised for being great shooters while Lowry's gets called average or a poor shooter.
You don't rank 8th in three-pointers made in the past 10 years without being a good shooter.

Lowry not being a flashy shoot-first point guard really kills his reputation.

Spoiler:

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#108 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Waylanderz wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:Fringe top 15. So based on the poll, top 20.

Looks like based on the poll he is top 10. :wink:

I wouldn’t put too much stock in a GB poll
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Just_Somebody
Freshman
And1: 173

Post#109 » by Just_Somebody » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:19 pm

Come on guys. He's been considered a playoff-no-show for years. He's been mocked and rightfully so.
One season that he has a couple good games at a good timing (while worth mentioning, it's not even as if he's been brilliant this year) and we're supposed to believe he's top 5-top 10?
Toronto fans have been making too much of their current players. If Toronto really has, as their fans claim, two top 5 players at their positions (PG, PF), I wanna see them make it to the conference finals, at least. I'll believe it then.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#110 » by SF_Warriors » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:39 pm

illuminati666 wrote:
nikster wrote:
GusT15 wrote:All time

Current
Steph Curry
Dame Lillard
Kyrie Irving
Russell Westbrook
Kemba Walker
Jamal Murray
Ben Simmons
Chris Paul
De'Aaron Fox
Trae Young
Mike Conley Jr
Eric Bledsoe
Kyle Lowry
Lonzo Ball
Ricky Rubio
DeJounte Murray

And the reason why he's out of the my top10 is cause he's 33 years old.I'm expecting a quick decline at this point.
He would be even lower if i could rank D'Angelo Russell and Jrue Holiday as Point Guards,but they'll be starting SGs this season so i can't do that.

No idea how you have Trae, Bledsoe or Jamal over him. I’d also take him over Kemba, Conley

Bledsoe over Lowry?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dude did you not watch the playoffs. Lowry completely f'd Bledsoe in that series and has been better for years now....this isn't even a question, c'mon

Lowey the better shooter, passer, ball handler, gacilitator, defender than bledsoe easily...not even arguable in my book who is better..bucks wouldve been muchhh better with lowry
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#111 » by stormi » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:50 pm

Below Chris Paul
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#112 » by dorkestra » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:14 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:
dorkestra wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:Fringe top 15. So based on the poll, top 20.

Really? I cant name ten PGs over him.

In no order:
Curry
Westbrook
Lillard
Kemba
Simmons

But then
Fox, Conley, and Trae Young are probably on a similar tier to Lowry IMO.

Trae Young? Trae Young? The same Trae Young who might be the worst defensive player in the entire league? The same Trae Young that finished 76th out of 100 PGs in RPM last season? That’s like saying Doncic is on the same tier as LeBron and Kawhi.

I don't know how much of him you got to see, but he's an incredible player. Defense for a rookie point guard should be taken into context. And no it's not like saying Doncic is on the same tier as LeBron or Kawhi.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,158

Post#113 » by mademan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:33 pm

dorkestra wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
dorkestra wrote:
Really? I cant name ten PGs over him.

In no order:
Curry
Westbrook
Lillard
Kemba
Simmons

But then
Fox, Conley, and Trae Young are probably on a similar tier to Lowry IMO.

Trae Young? Trae Young? The same Trae Young who might be the worst defensive player in the entire league? The same Trae Young that finished 76th out of 100 PGs in RPM last season? That’s like saying Doncic is on the same tier as LeBron and Kawhi.

I don't know how much of him you got to see, but he's an incredible player. Defense for a rookie point guard should be taken into context. And no it's not like saying Doncic is on the same tier as LeBron or Kawhi.

It's pretty close. Lowry had a top 5 point guard impact. Trae was bottom 5 as a starter. Youd be expecting a huge jump and a big drop off to get them in the same tier within a year.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,896

Post#114 » by lakerz12 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:35 pm

For this upcoming season, give me:

Harden (if you consider a PG)
Curry
Lillard
Westbrook
Kyrie
Kemba
Simmons
Conley
D. Russell
CP3 (depending on health)

Questionable: Fox, T. Young, Lonzo (depending on how they progress)

Lowry is going to be 33 and clearly on the decline. Shot 41% from the floor last year.

I think 8-12 is a fair rank.
mademan
RealGM

Post#115 » by mademan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:35 pm

Just_Somebody wrote:Come on guys. He's been considered a playoff-no-show for years. He's been mocked and rightfully so.
One season that he has a couple good games at a good timing (while worth mentioning, it's not even as if he's been brilliant this year) and we're supposed to believe he's top 5-top 10?
Toronto fans have been making too much of their current players. If Toronto really has, as their fans claim, two top 5 players at their positions (PG, PF), I wanna see them make it to the conference finals, at least. I'll believe it then.

Who are these 10 consistent playoff stars at the point guard position. Im sure ill see WB's name in there, as laughable and hypocritical as it will be or many guys who consistently dont even make the playoffs
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#116 » by dorkestra » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:39 pm

mademan wrote:
dorkestra wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:

It's pretty close. Lowry had a top 5 point guard impact. Trae was bottom 5 as a starter. Youd be expecting a huge jump and a big drop off to get them in the same tier within a year.

I wouldn't get stuck too far into the weeds with the quantitative assessment (as opposed to qualitative).
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
Moahst
Senior
And1: 650

Post#117 » by Moahst » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:49 pm

#1 ass in the NBA, don't @ me
mademan
RealGM

Post#118 » by mademan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:54 pm

dorkestra wrote:
mademan wrote:
dorkestra wrote:

I wouldn't get stuck too far into the weeds with the quantitative assessment (as opposed to qualitative).

I would. Or else it's just one opinion shouting over another. I said it last year with Tatum and I say it this year with all the rook's who showed out last year (like Doncic and Trae); potential is just a word, youre as good as you play. I dont believe in projecting some kind of linear improvement; guys stagnate as much as they ascend in this game.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,033

Post#119 » by iggymcfrack » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:05 pm

Just_Somebody wrote:Come on guys. He's been considered a playoff-no-show for years. He's been mocked and rightfully so.

Raptors have the #4 point guard and the #4 power forward (assuming AD plays the 4 this season). Sixers (the team they’re competing with for last conference finals spot) have the #5 point guard and the #2 center. One of them is likely going to fail to reach that spot even with 2 top 5 players at their position. I do think Toronto has almost as good of a chance as Philly though. Gun to my head Raptors get the 2 seed and Sixers beat them in 7. Would be a hell of a series anyway.
GusT15
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,269

Post#120 » by GusT15 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:11 pm

mademan wrote:Putting him 5th isn’t really overrating. The only guys that were clear cut better last year were curry dame and kyrie. He has a sensible argument against anyone else, even if u do choose to rank him under. Putting him 11-30 though, is absolutely underrating and very much reaching.

nikster wrote:No idea how you have Trae, Bledsoe or Jamal over him. I’d also take him over Kemba, Conley

illuminati666 wrote:Bledsoe over Lowry?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

SF_Warriors wrote:
Lowey the better shooter, passer, ball handler, gacilitator, defender than bledsoe easily...not even arguable in my book who is better..bucks wouldve been muchhh better with lowry

Once again,here is the part you ALL missed.

GusT15 wrote:

I am talking about the entirety of next season.That's how my rating and ranking is based.
If my prediction/take comes true Lowry is not gonna be the first Point Guard to decline heavily after 33 and he is certainly not going to be the last.
If he has one more good year as a top5-10 PG in the League,good for him.If he has two more years even better.

His motivation for maintaining top10 level play PG in 2020 is playing for his next contract and leading his team rank as high as they can entering the playoffs as defending Champions.
His disadvantages are coming off the deepest playoff run of his career,conditioning,being asked to do even more than he had to do (now playing without DeRozan or Leonard),the danger of nagging wear&tear injuries,the potential dissapointment if the season doesn't start out well-in contrast to the emotional high of winning the whole thing last year.

Maybe he will play at a high level for more years,like Billups,maybe he will decline like Parker,Tim Hardaway,Deron Williams etc did.
I think he will decline,many people don't.
I respect your opinion.
Understand where i'm coming from though with my take.

Return to The General Board