ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Casual / OT Wasteman Thread '20-21 Season XI

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

RealGM
And1: 66,480

Re: Official Casual / OT Wasteman Thread '18-19 Season XI 

Post#321 » by 720 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 6:12 am

Was rewatching the finals for a millionth time and I can't help but feel a little down thinking about the what ifs. Kawhi and Siakam both in their mid 20s. This would have been a special duo for years to come, at least they won a ring together.

Oh well, overall I am still excited for the upcoming season. Siakam is going to ball out. Masai just needs to get him a side kick within the next few years (Or hopefully he turns into one again if someone like Giannis comes here).
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#322 » by Kabookalu » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:08 am

Read on Twitter
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#323 » by zilby » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:58 pm

This thread really fell flat on its face huh
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#324 » by Kabookalu » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:09 pm

It started when you guys banned Magic Giannason.

Read on Twitter
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,213

Post#325 » by niQ » Fri Aug 9, 2019 3:58 pm

Kabookalu wrote:It started when you guys banned Magic Giannason.

How did he get banned?
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#326 » by Lord Eder » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:19 pm

Magic Giannison was only here to up his and1 ratio
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,806

Post#327 » by Steelo Green » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:57 pm

KAT4PREZ wrote:straight nonsense homie

OG > > Okogie
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant
And1: 30,508

Post#328 » by Red Shoelace » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:04 am

720 wrote:Was rewatching the finals for a millionth time and I can't help but feel a little down thinking about the what ifs. Kawhi and Siakam both in their mid 20s. This would have been a special duo for years to come, at least they won a ring together.

Oh well, overall I am still excited for the upcoming season. Siakam is going to ball out. Masai just needs to get him a side kick within the next few years (Or hopefully he turns into one again if someone like Giannis comes here).

With how off season went we would be a clear cut finals favourite before the deadline.

Too bad but I like your optimism regarding Siakam.
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#329 » by Red Shoelace » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:09 am

niQ wrote:

How did he get banned?

Banned from discord, angered zilby. Basically only showing up when Bucks won (I like to think it was became he came out of the closet as a weeb)

Lord Eder wrote:Magic Giannison was only here to up his and1 ratio

Yep
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#330 » by Red Shoelace » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:13 am

Timbuktu [French/Arabic/Bambara/English/Songhay/Tamashek] (2015) - 6.75/10
Spoiler:
Timbuktu 2014 ★★★

Watched Aug 09, 2019
RedShoelace’s review published on Letterboxd:

Timbuktu is a superb slice of life drama from a part of the world we hardly see stories about. In north west of Africa is an ancient Malay city steeped in tradition and multiple languages. Still feeling the after effects of French colonization, its language still is spoken among many of its citizens. Arabic for Africa's primary religion of Islam which also happened to bring a new set of invaders. The religious extremists whose actions they dictate are because of their Jihad. The city itself and their people are hunters and gatherers, they enjoy music and the arts, they value family and their traditions, even playing the worlds game; soccer. Many of these things now outlawed by the occupiers, and for the people who suffer under the oppressive rule, what little of life's liberties remain slowly become stripped one by one.

A well shot film from cinematographer Sofian El Fani and the choice to go with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio was a good fit. Many of the films pivotal moments occur from a great distance with the desert in the background. With a locale and people who speak such a wide variety of languages, the choice for subtitles to match the primary characters understanding allowed for a better sense of immersion. Timbuktu really explores the hypocrisy of extremism, and in this case religious extremism from the occupiers. As music and song is outlawed, some members still enjoy the art of dance. As soccer is banned and punished by public lashings, some soldiers engage in a lively debate between soccer greats Messi and Zidane. The rule of law according to the jihadists is strictly according to their god, and yet the local witch is not held to the same standards as the other women of the town. The list goes on and on and as each harsh punishment is dealt, the same ones holding the lash ultimately go on to break their own rules. It is death by many cuts and as a viewer, Timbuktu becomes relentlessly grim. Very harrowing tale with a sad and yet realistic ending.

6.75/10

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/timbuktu-2014/
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#331 » by Red Shoelace » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:16 am

Spoiler:
Jurassic Park 1993

Rewatched Aug 09, 2019

Rewatched in theatres for the.... 4th time.

Still get goosebumps.

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/jurassic-park/
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#332 » by 720 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:58 am

Red Shoelace wrote:
niQ wrote:

How did he get banned?

Banned from discord, angered zilby. Basically only showing up when Bucks won (I like to think it was became he came out of the closet as a weeb)

Yep

I was the first one to call him out on it when he used to come to OT threads. Clown denied it. Glad others saw what he was.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#333 » by Kabookalu » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:31 am

Read on Twitter
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#334 » by Red Shoelace » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Kabookalu wrote:

I love that song.

You really need to watch Chungking Express.

Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,806

Post#335 » by Steelo Green » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:38 pm

Red Shoelace wrote:
niQ wrote:

How did he get banned?

Yep

What is this discord you speak of :o
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#336 » by Kabookalu » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Red Shoelace wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:

I love that song.

I did try watching it the first time you recommended it to me, but I dunno, I just can't watch movies on my laptop anymore lol, I get antsy and uncomfortable. I did try to play it on my TV, but there's no point if there's no 1080 version available or else the quality gets really pixelated.

Read on Twitter
Vorticity
Head Coach
And1: 4,918

Post#337 » by Vorticity » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:22 pm

Red Shoelace wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:

I love that song.

have you seen this?

Burning (from the director of Poetry)

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/81015498
Zona Zoo wrote:
spudwebb wrote:OKC has one black guy in the crowd

Russell Westbrook?

sig by http://www.turbozone.ca
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#338 » by Red Shoelace » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:46 pm

Vorticity wrote:
have you seen this?

Burning (from the director of Poetry)

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/81015498

Watched it at TIFF last year with Chang-dong Lee (director) and Steven Yeun at the Q&A. I really enjoyed it:

Spoiler:
Burning 2018 ★★★½

Watched Sep 09, 2018

*Saw this at TIFF with Director (Chang-dong Lee) + Steve Yeun Q&A*

Burning is a story that compels and rewards the attentive viewer. On the surface the story appears to be a very traditional mystery/suspense drama, but hidden behind layers are metaphor and deeper meanings that enhance the overall film. Recent college graduate working as a delivery driver (played by Ah-In Yoo) reunites with an old friend and is quickly entwined in a suspenseful love triangle with self described 'playboy' Ben (played by Steve Yeun). Throughout the course of the film director Chang-dong Lee leaves breadcrumbs of deeper meaning in both dialogue and beautiful shots. I was reminded back during True Detective season 1 where the mystery was so captivating that I started paying attention to every little detail, bits of debris on the ground and pictures/photographs in the background or on furniture. With a few shots from the director that feel like they belong on a movie poster, Burning was a both visually and mentally stimulating. The real star of the film was Steve Yeun and his portrayal of Ben, giving off heavy vibes from the first scene untill the last and was one of the strongest supporting actor performances of the year thus far. While a slow burn (pun intended) Burning plays off more as a mystery and less a thriller, Ah-In Yoo remains the focal point and this was a very heavy character drama relying more on character development over wild plot changes. In the end Burning is a film up to your interpretation, viewers going in taking what takes place at face value may feel underwhelmed while those of you who paid attention looking for deeper meaning will be greatly rewarded. Another fantastic Korean film in the history books.

Burning (2018) - 7.75/10

Chang-dong Lee Q&A insights:
- Adapted from short story Barn Burning by William Faulkner, screenwriter urged him to make feature film on it
- Film is ambiguous and up to audiences interpretation
- Asked about 8 year absence since his last film - came up with some good, and some bad ideas and has studied film and cinema in off time

Steve Yeun Q&A insights:
- Asked difference between acting in english (western film/tv over foreign film over seas) - 'genius is genius' and crew making a film/show are doing the same job no matter the language and films are a universal art form
- Asked about being cast as a 'bad guy' - did not agree his character was a bad guy and again that was up to the viewers interpretation

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/burning-2018/

Another good foreign film thriller from last year that is also available on Netflix is The Guilty

Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#339 » by Red Shoelace » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:47 am

Blinded By The Light (2019) - 6.5/10
Spoiler:
Blinded by the Light 2019 ★★★

Watched Aug 10, 2019

A nice coming age of tale with heart, showing the transformative powers of music. Javed is a high school student in 1987, growing up in small town Britain, but as his father would say "We'll always be Pakistani, not British." Juggling between his aspirations of being a writer and helping his father and family proves difficult. Until he's introduced to American music star Bruce Springsteen, whose lyrics provide guidance and instruction and really speak to his heart. There's some really crafty musical montage scenes within that I found a real treat. One of those light hearted fluffy dramas that shows the impact art and music can have on our formative years. Naturally, the cultural dynamic comes into play and the xenophobic nationalists of that time against the growing number of immigrants is timely considering what is happening again across the globe. Hard to see what families had grown accustomed to and accepted as a manner of living - a magnifying on the truth is tough to stomach.

Blinded By The Light has all the conflicts that you would expect in a coming of age story. There are girl problems, best friend issues, rebelling against the wants of the family, and understanding oneself. It's just so harmless that I had a hard time faulting it, but the safe approach is also one that didn't earn it extra marks in my book. I enjoyed seeing how his family and more importantly his father came into play. As you would expect his father wants his son to pursue a career that is safe, and writing is something that really isn't. Overall a good movie that 'Boss' fans will love, and the rest of us may forget about a couple years from now.

6.5/10

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/blinded-by-the-light-2019/
raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,280

Post#340 » by raptorstime » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:14 am

Demon slayer goes hard

Return to Toronto Raptors