What in the world makes people think that D Angelo Russell can fill Klay Thompson’s shoes

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Joerezz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,503

What in the world makes people think that D Angelo Russell can fill Klay Thompson’s shoes 

Post#1 » by Joerezz7 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:30 am

Let’s keep in mind that they wouldn’t be a playoff team if they didn’t add Dlo. With him they will hover around the 8th, 7th or maybe 6th spot. Some people are saying 5th or 4th which is way too high. A Steph and Dlo duo is not the same as Steph and Klay duo. A lot of people on here will try to make you believe that though

People are making it seem like Dlo and Klay Thompson are in the same class. Don’t get me wrong Dlo is a good young player but he’s not Klay Thompson. Klay Thompson is a great player, 3 point shooter and can score 30 points in a quarter. Klay also plays defense too. Dlo doesn’t.

These same people thought that Paul George could fill KD shoes in OKC. That didn’t work out at all. PG is good but not in the same class as KD.

This will not be the same Warriors team that swept the Blazers in the playoffs last year. They will have the worse defensive backcourt in the NBA in Dlo and Curry.

By the way Dlo had the ball a lot when he was on the Nets and didn’t have to share it with anyone. That’s how he was able to score and create plays for his teammates. With the Warriors it’s no guarantee he averages 20 point a game this season with him having to share the ball with Steph

I’m not sure if it’s a guarantee the Warriors make the playoffs because Dlo is good but he’s not the caliber player of Klay Thompson. You can’t replace a superstar with a young up and coming all star and expect everything to be ok
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

There is nothing inherently different about winning in the Finals compared to winning other playoff seriess,
cellphonecamera
Junior
And1: 427

Re: What in the world makes people think that D Angelo Russell can fill Klay Thompson’s shoes 

Post#2 » by cellphonecamera » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:33 am

Warriors will end up trading him by the deadline, watch and see.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,269

Re: What in the world makes people think that D Angelo Russell can fill Klay Thompson’s shoes 

Post#3 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:36 am

Who are these "people" you keep referencing?

No one has said these two players are the same. They have different strengths and weaknesses. But you're comparing a 23 year old rising star to a guy who is pushing 30 with a fresh ACL injury. What is the point of this thread. Also, are you related to Klay?
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,372

Post#4 » by Dominator83 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:36 am

Come playoff time, Klay Thompson will be filling Klay Thompsons shoes. D-Lo is a luxury whether its on the court or as a big trade asset
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,655

Post#5 » by XxIronChainzxX » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:37 am

No one thinks he'll be that good. About the most positive I've ever seen anyone say about him is that he'd be able to score efficiently next to Curry as a second option rather than at league average efficiency.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,332

Post#6 » by Triple7 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:42 am

A good trade asset! They could hover around 6-8th seed, when Klay comes back, they could ship DLo for a good wing and be competitive again.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#7 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:48 am

Simple. No one, and I mean no one, with half a brain thinks that
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#8 » by Buzzard » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:52 am

Russell is a stop gap and a talented stop gap. GSW needs him to help keep them in the playoff hunt until Klay gets back. Remember this, the Warriors have recent;y beaten Houston and Portland in the playoffs without Durant. Why do people think they can't do it again once Klay gets back?

My opinion, if they can beat Houston and Portland without Durant, they can potentially beat anyone without Durant. I guarantee you Lebron, Leonard, and Harden will not be sleeping on the Warriors; even if some fans are.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,793

Post#9 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:57 am

Joerezz7 wrote:People are making it seem like Dlo and Klay Thompson are in the same class. Don’t get me wrong Dlo is a good young player but he’s not Klay Thompson. Klay Thompson is a great player, 3 point shooter and can score 30 points in a quarter. Klay also plays defense too. Dlo doesn’t.

Whether it's on these boards, or people in the media, I don't think I've heard anyone outwardly say that D'Angelo was in the same class or meant to fill Klay Thompsons shoes, ever. I could be wrong, but if it's been said sparingly, then this post holds no weight because from reading what you've said, it makes it seem like the majority of people tihnk this way which is absolutely untrue.

He is a stopgap due to neccesity, with Klay being out because of his injury. It's not like they traded Klay in favour for D'Angelo.
Why so serious?
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#11 » by Flash Falcon X » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:58 am

No ones thinking that.

D-Lo and Klay are two completely different players.

With D-Lo, Steph will get to play off-ball while D-Lo handles and initiates the offense. It’s a much different component than Klay because Russell can actually dribble.

Have you ever seen Klay run point while Steph plays off-ball? No you haven’t. It’s usually Draymond or Iggy who would handle while Steph plays off the ball and the defense never worried about Draymond or Iggy scoring—but with D-Lo handling, it’s a different story.

Once Klay gets back, you also got Steph and Klay playing off-ball while D-Lo handles. The defense has to worry about not just the Splash Brothers, but Russell with the ball as well who can easily score on his own, or set up a big like WCS/Looney, or swing it to Draymond to keep the ball moving, etc.

And yes, the Warriors can play all three of D-Lo, Steph and Klay. People forget they Klay can play SF, and people don’t realize how tall Klay Thompson actually is. Klay is taller than Andre Iguodala—Klay is 6’7”.

Also, aside from those three running together. You’ll also see Steph and D-Lo stagger their minutes throughout games as well. Which means the Warriors will always have someone running the offense on full blast all game.

People tend to automatically think, “Steph is a point. D-Lo is a point. LOL STEVE AND STEPHON KNICKS AGAIN,” and call it a day but really D-Lo adds an intriguing component to the Warriors once you give it some thought.
#DubNation
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#12 » by DCRYsing89 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:59 am

Because he won’t be ‘replacing’ klay.

He will play 14min a night as the Backup PG
Another 20min at SG,
He can hit spot up 3s at around a 38% clip,
And is not bad on defense, is just mediocre...

Him, Curry and Dray will develop a unique chemistry I feel.
He wants to be there so he will buy in,
Curry can play offball and makes his teammates better,
He still has quality P&R teammates to let him do his bread and butter.

Till Klay comes back those 3 will keep them afloat.

There isn’t a team in the NBA clearly better...
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
Schmooftie
Senior
And1: 94

Post#13 » by Schmooftie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:30 am

Not sure why everyone thinks he is just trade bait. The Warriors core are all around 30 now so it makes sense they have another key player who is a lot younger than them. As others have mentioned he will more than likely play more PG than Steph, and will play part of the role Durant / Iggy / Livingston did as a primary ball carrier. He also gives them an ISO option with the shot clock running down or end of qtr's etc. I actually think he will be a great fit and replace a lot of the roles which some of their departing players played.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,655

Post#14 » by XxIronChainzxX » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:33 am

Schmooftie wrote:Not sure why everyone thinks he is just trade bait. The Warriors core are all around 30 now so it makes sense they have another key player who is a lot younger than them. As others have mentioned he will more than likely play more PG than Steph, and will play part of the role Durant / Iggy / Livingston did as a primary ball carrier. He also gives them an ISO option with the shot clock running down or end of qtr's etc. I actually think he will be a great fit and replace a lot of the roles which some of their departing players played.

It makes sense to get young talent. DLo isn't that talent. Their best case scenario is that he can score at above average efficiency thanks to Curry's gravity. Otherwise he's not even a good stop gap.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,031

Post#15 » by SlovenianDragon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:36 am

What's their foot sizes?
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 920

Post#16 » by dk1115 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:48 am

He'll help them hold enough.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,391

Post#17 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:58 am

Dlo is younger Livingston. There already have plays for him.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#18 » by Samurai » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:02 am

No one is expecting DLo to fill Klay's shoes. Besides, I am pretty sure both guys can afford their own shoes. :wink:

DLo can handle and pass the rock better than Klay. DLo is a good catch-and-shoot guy from deep - around 39% last year - but Klay is GOAT-level at that. Klay is a better man defender than DLo. They are just very different players.

My guess is that there is no pre-determined trade position regarding DLo right now. I suspect the team will wait and see how a three-guard system with DLo, Curry and Klay fit together on the court with Klay guarding the other team's SF. If all three fit seamlessly, then they will roll with those three plus Draymond and WCS/Looney as a starting five. If they don't mesh well, then DLo could be moved for a wing that fits better. But they won't know that until Klay returns and they have enough of a sample size to see how well they all play together. Personally I predict that they should be fine on offense; without KD the Warriors won't have anyone who can create their own shot other than Curry. While certainly not in KD's class, DLo gives the team another badly needed shot-creator. And DLo is an outstanding lob tosser, which should work extremely well with WCS. My question is whether or not DLo can defend well enough to make it work.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#19 » by jason bourne » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:03 am

DLo is long and has better measurements than Brad Beal, but Beal has the skills and much better player. DLo is still young, and is working to improve his shooting, 3-pt and perimeter. We do not expect him to be Klay Thompson, but add to the perimeter and transition offense. We'll have to see how good his defense is. It's hard to say how the Warriors will do with DLo since we have not seen any workouts yet. If DLo does fit, then he's not expected to fill Klay Thompson's shoes. Klay will move the SF when he comes back. That will mean another adjustment period.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Free Rider
Veteran
And1: 1,565

Post#20 » by Free Rider » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:17 am

If "people" really thought Russell was that same caliber as Klay, they'd be predicting the Warriors to be a one or two seed given how great a play Klay is. As of now, I don't see many people making such a bold proclamation. it seems that the general consensus is that they'll be able to weather the storm of losing Klay and end up as a 4 or 5 seed. Which means they've factored in the drop off in talent and still think the Warriors are a playoff team. That's a far cry from saying that Russell can somehow replace Klay's production.

Return to The General Board