codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,530

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#61 » by codydaze » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:28 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:What an absolute lovely problem for a coach to have!

I will just hope that we do not go too often to a 5 deep on the bench. Make some solid lineups: starting lineup, bench lineups with 2-3 starters in them, and a closing lineup. Either Fox or Bagley should be in virtually 48 minutes a game.

The OKC blow up is pretty good for us. OKC is definitely going to be out of the playoffs and looks like full rebuild. I'm sure they would have traded Adams already but market is soft. Interesting to see what the do with Paul. Also Houston just became more volatile so % chance of them missing the playoffs probably went up (even if their ceiling also went up) way too early to tell.

Yep, the OKC "thing" is terrific. And it will be fascinating to see if they can trade Paul?

So, Bagley will be getting better. But we shouldn't fool ourselves. He isn't "that" yet. He will be - but there are going to be games where he gets in foul trouble or just plays "stupid". It's only his second season in the L and the coach will need to still correct behavior. Having said that - Bagley played mid 20s last year - like you I hope it goes to mid-30s.

Fox played ~ 31.5mpg last year. Like you, I hope it goes up a bit this year.

But you should assume a five deep bench. There is so much talent there. You will definitely see either Joseph or Ferrell behind Fox. You want Bogdan to get some minutes, right? And Ariza will definitely get limited minutes behind Barnes. My guess is you will see Giles play some minutes behind Bagley. And you will see Holmes get minutes behind Dedmon.

I don't think we should look at this as a bad thing. It will keep Fox/Bagley/Hield from wearing down at the end of the season to push for the playoffs.

My 1/2 cent.

Don't forget about Bjelica.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#62 » by kalenclayton » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:23 pm

So do you all think the Kings are done? Holmes was reported to sign the room exception and still hasn’t been announced. It seems like we are holding out for one or more moves. We have 3 question marks on the team (Yogi, Johnson, Swanigan). It seems that we can clear space to sign one more small contributor by waiving Johnson.

1. Was Yogi’s guarantee a way to turn him into a trade chip or are we keeping him?
2. Are we really keeping BJ Johnson? His contract is non-guaranteed.
3. What the heck does Vlade see in Swanigan? He doesn’t fit or look like an NBA player.
4. Lastly, if we make cuts, who do you all want to target?

Current roster:
Fox / Joseph / Ferrell
Hield / Bogdanovic/ James
Barnes / Ariza / Johnson
Bagley / Bjelica / Swanigan
Dedmon / Giles / Holmes
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#63 » by blind prophet » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:35 pm

kalenclayton wrote:So do you all think the Kings are done? Holmes was reported to sign the room exception and still hasn’t been announced. It seems like we are holding out for one or more moves. We have 3 question marks on the team (Yogi, Johnson, Swanigan). It seems that we can clear space to sign one more small contributor by waiving Johnson.

1. Was Yogi’s guarantee a way to turn him into a trade chip or are we keeping him?
3. What the heck does Vlade see in Swanigan? He doesn’t fit or look like an NBA player.

Current roster:
Fox / Joseph / Ferrell
Barnes / Ariza / Johnson
Dedmon / Giles / Holmes

Guy & Gabriel two way players, James at wing depth. Swanigan has guaranteed contract so there you go.

1 spot left. I'm going to guess if we add someone else it will be Brewer on the minimum.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by kalenclayton » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:02 pm

blind prophet wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:So do you all think the Kings are done? Holmes was reported to sign the room exception and still hasn’t been announced. It seems like we are holding out for one or more moves. We have 3 question marks on the team (Yogi, Johnson, Swanigan). It seems that we can clear space to sign one more small contributor by waiving Johnson.

Current roster:
Fox / Joseph / Ferrell
Barnes / Ariza / Johnson
Dedmon / Giles / Holmes

Guy & Gabriel two way players, James at wing depth. Swanigan has guaranteed contract so there you go.

1 spot left. I'm going to guess if we add someone else it will be Brewer on the minimum.

Even though he is guaranteed, I don’t see Swanigan being safe. He is the worst player on the team and I just don’t see a time that he could be useful unless he is trade filler (salary).

Brewer will likely want minutes if he comes. He still has some left in the tank. I could see him going to either LA team or Houston and being useful. If Brewer signs elsewhere, what position/player do we go for. Do we go for a wing defender like Brewer? Could Shaun Livingston, David Nwaba, Thabo Sefolosha, or even Shump be realistic? Do we go for a big like Koufos, Marcin Gortat, Ryan Anderson, or even Mozgov? I’m kinda fascinated by the possibilities. I just want a good locker room voice and/or a player who can push the other players to get better.

(JACK COOLEY PLEASE)
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#65 » by blind prophet » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:21 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
blind prophet wrote:

Current roster:
Fox / Joseph / Ferrell
Barnes / Ariza / Johnson
Dedmon / Giles / Holmes

Even though he is guaranteed, I don’t see Swanigan being safe. He is the worst player on the team and I just don’t see a time that he could be useful unless he is trade filler (salary).

Brewer will likely want minutes if he comes. He still has some left in the tank. I could see him going to either LA team or Houston and being useful. If Brewer signs elsewhere, what position/player do we go for. Do we go for a wing defender like Brewer? Could Shaun Livingston, David Nwaba, Thabo Sefolosha, or even Shump be realistic? Do we go for a big like Koufos, Marcin Gortat, Ryan Anderson, or even Mozgov? I’m kinda fascinated by the possibilities. I just want a good locker room voice and/or a player who can push the other players to get better.

(JACK COOLEY PLEASE)

I think it has to be a defensive wing of some sort. James is obviously a rookie, our depth at sf is less than other positions. And Ariza is getting old.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#66 » by donkeylips » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:03 pm

Bring back shumpert
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by kalenclayton » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:43 pm

donkeylips wrote:Bring back shumpert

I’d love to bring him and Kosta back while waiving Swanigan and Johnson.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#68 » by BoogieTime » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:20 pm

ON a side note, when that schedule comes out I’d like an easy start to it

It’s been years, since this team has had an easy early schedule that lended itself to an early taking the league by storm media reaction (we did it last year with a relatively competitive schedule)

I want an easy early schedule for what seems like the first time in awhile
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,530

Post#69 » by codydaze » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:38 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

A possibility we have 3 guys on the 12 man Team USA roster.
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 159

Post#70 » by Lost in LA » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:07 pm

No pressure on the Kings' Head Coach then, whoever it may be...lol
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,997

Post#71 » by dckingsfan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Looks like Fox, Bagley and Barnes are going to make team - I think that is a good thing?
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#72 » by BoogieTime » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:15 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Looks like Fox, Bagley and Barnes are going to make team - I think that is a good thing?

I don’t think Barnes or Bagley are guaranteed to make the final cut.

But it would be s good experience for them if they did, particularly Bagley
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#73 » by nolang1 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:10 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Looks like Fox, Bagley and Barnes are going to make team - I think that is a good thing?

I don’t think Barnes or Bagley are guaranteed to make the final cut.

But it would be s good experience for them if they did, particularly Bagley

Bagley withdrew. He was definitely a long shot to make the team for a number of reasons, not least of all because USA basketball is essentially a marketing arm of Nike and he wears Puma. I remember Mason Plumlee making the team over Damian Lillard one year.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#74 » by BoogieTime » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:23 am

Even if he wasnt going to make the cut, I’m not seeing the point of Bagley withdrawing? He’s still getting the training there for the upcoming season.

It’s either a pride thing, about dropping out before being cut, or an egotistical rant type thing.

Hope it doesn’t hurt his chances in the future of joining the team
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by nolang1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:19 am

BoogieTime wrote:Even if he wasnt going to make the cut, I’m not seeing the point of Bagley withdrawing? He’s still getting the training there for the upcoming season.

It’s either a pride thing, about dropping out before being cut, or an egotistical rant type thing.

Have you ever played basketball before? What kind of reps is the 15th man on the roster getting during practice? Obviously he could train more on his own without having to travel all over the world. It's not like he begged them to put him on the senior team roster and then turned around and quit; he just played hard and did well during the week, which obviously wouldn't hurt his chances going forward.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#76 » by BoogieTime » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:42 am

nolang1 wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Even if he wasnt going to make the cut, I’m not seeing the point of Bagley withdrawing? He’s still getting the training there for the upcoming season.

Have you ever played basketball before? What kind of reps is the 15th man on the roster getting during practice? Obviously he could train more on his own without having to travel all over the world. It's not like he begged them to put him on the senior team roster and then turned around and quit; he just played hard and did well during the week, which obviously wouldn't hurt his chances going forward.

I’d prefer him being taught by Pop/Kerr and be around competitive piers, and getting reps in practice, or after it if he isn’t working out enough which I don’t believe, than just doing his thing for a couple weeks

I don’t think that’s the impetus for his decision
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by nolang1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:07 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

I’d prefer him being taught by Pop/Kerr and be around competitive piers, and getting reps in practice, or after it if he isn’t working out enough which I don’t believe, than just doing his thing for a couple weeks

Aside from how presumptuous it is to assume you would be more informed about it than Bagley, who was actually there for a week, I guarantee you the coaches will be far more concerned with going over their system and opponent tendencies with a bunch of players who have never played together and make up the least talented USA roster in a long time than they would be with providing a lot of individualized instruction to some guy who wasn't going to make the team.

If you watched the telecast of the scrimmage at all, they spent a lot of time talking about how they're worried about Jokic/Gasol and want backup bigs who can match up physically. Going forward there's going to be more time spent on travel and exhibition games than actually practicing, so if the best-case scenario was Bagley being the human victory cigar then it certainly does make sense to focus on the upcoming season.

The whole 'playing for team USA magically makes you better by osmosis' thing is largely a bunch of patriotic hokum; if you're talented and work hard you're gonna get better wherever you practice, and if you're a more marginal talent who happens to make the team it doesn't mean much on its own. It clearly wasn't a huge springboard for Harrison Barnes' career to be the last guy on the 2016 Olympic roster, and everyone thought Kenneth Faried making the all-tournament team at the 2014 World Cup meant he was gonna take the next step and become an all-star when in fact his best NBA season was already behind him at that point.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#78 » by BoogieTime » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:00 am

nolang1 wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

Aside from how presumptuous it is to assume you would be more informed about it than Bagley, who was actually there for a week, I guarantee you the coaches will be far more concerned with going over their system and opponent tendencies with a bunch of players who have never played together and make up the least talented USA roster in a long time than they would be with providing a lot of individualized instruction to some guy who wasn't going to make the team.

If you watched the telecast of the scrimmage at all, they spent a lot of time talking about how they're worried about Jokic/Gasol and want backup bigs who can match up physically. Going forward there's going to be more time spent on travel and exhibition games than actually practicing, so if the best-case scenario was Bagley being the human victory cigar then it certainly does make sense to focus on the upcoming season.

The whole 'playing for team USA magically makes you better by osmosis' thing is largely a bunch of patriotic hokum; if you're talented and work hard you're gonna get better wherever you practice, and if you're a more marginal talent who happens to make the team it doesn't mean much on its own. It clearly wasn't a huge springboard for Harrison Barnes' career to be the last guy on the 2016 Olympic roster, and everyone thought Kenneth Faried making the all-tournament team at the 2014 World Cup meant he was gonna take the next step and become an all-star when in fact his best NBA season was already behind him at that point.

you certainly come off as a disrespectful/condescending user who is going on ignore after this

I wouldn’t think two players were cut for him, and the big rotation consist of Turner/Lopez/Plumlee/Kuzma, so he could summarily be cut without, key here, the possibility of outplaying someone. If they had it in their minds he’s already a casualty, what would be the purpose of the cuts?

And it seems a bit of a slap to US to have cut two players and promoted him for him to immediately withdraw

I’d still like an explanation. It seems indeed like he arrived and was used as an extra, but he still withdrew rather quickly IMO
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#79 » by nolang1 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:15 am

BoogieTime wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

you certainly come off as a disrespectful/condescending user who is going on ignore after this

I wouldn’t think two players were cut for him, and the big rotation consist of Turner/Lopez/Plumlee/Kuzma, so he could summarily be cut without, key here, the possibility of outplaying someone. If they had it in their minds he’s already a casualty, what would be the purpose of the cuts

This is FIBA. Players like Tatum, Barnes, PJ Tucker, etc., are all big and strong enough to play 4 at the FIBA level so the big rotation is a lot more crowded than you think it is; Bagley was strictly used as a 5, and players like Kuzma and Tucker can play there as well. As I already mentioned, if a 3rd center even makes the 12-man team it's just to be a big body they can put on Jokic/Gasol in case of foul trouble, so Plumlee would have the edge there with that, his seniority/experience, and wearing Nike.

And it seems a bit of a slap to US to have cut two players and promoted him for him to immediately withdraw

OK cool, he's an adult and can make that decision and deal with the consequences if there are any. Even assuming that going to the training camp for a week and then dropping out is worse than just turning down an invite in the first place like dozens of other players did, if he's even in a position for that to be a factor in making the Olympic team next year (rather than just clearly not good enough because the player pool will be much better) that'll mean he had a major breakout season and probably helped get the Kings to the playoffs.

I’d still like an explanation. It seems indeed like he arrived and was used as an extra, but he still withdrew rather quickly IMO

LOL do you need a personal apology from Marvin Bagley for dropping out now rather than going to 3 more practices, getting a DNP or playing garbage time minutes in a scrimmage, and getting cut? Ironically from Sacramento's perspective, it's probably better that he's back to his regular training schedule, where he's been working with a coach who was cited as instrumental in Pascal Siakam's improvement (somehow he was able to get better without playing for team USA, crazy I know) and is now on the Kings' staff.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#80 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:27 pm

I agree, Bagley playing with the team was a good experience but considering his age it's way more valuable for him to be bulking up and working out. Rookies need that first summer more than anything. If his career pans out like it should playing with the US team will be in the cards down the line.

Return to Sacramento Kings