What in the world makes people think that D Angelo Russell can fill Klay Thompson’s shoes

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,557

Re: What in the world makes people think that D Angelo Russell can fill Klay Thompson’s shoes 

Post#21 » by ken6199 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:18 am

One or two people make some trollish comments = "All those people think xxx are out of their minds", as if it's the opinion of the entire basketball world that you are challenging.

The imaginary enemy strategy.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Re: What in the world makes people think that D Angelo Russell can fill Klay Thompson’s shoes 

Post#22 » by WarriorGM » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:52 am

XxIronChainzxX wrote:It makes sense to get young talent. DLo isn't that talent. Their best case scenario is that he can score at above average efficiency thanks to Curry's gravity. Otherwise he's not even a good stop gap.

D'Angelo isn't young talent? He was the number two pick in his draft. Odds are you're not going to get much better young talent.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#23 » by XxIronChainzxX » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:09 am

WarriorGM wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:It makes sense to get young talent. DLo isn't that talent. Their best case scenario is that he can score at above average efficiency thanks to Curry's gravity. Otherwise he's not even a good stop gap.

D'Angelo isn't young talent? He was the number two pick in his draft. Odds are you're not going to get much better young talent.

So was Darko. Yet the Heat feel pretty good about that Wade guy the picked a while later.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#24 » by WarriorGM » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:22 am

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

So was Darko. Yet the Heat feel pretty good about that Wade guy the picked a while later.

Darko was never an all-star. D'Angelo may have more in common with Wade. Wade was an all-star at 23. D'Angelo was an all-star at 22.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#25 » by SF_Warriors » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:45 am

Its not about that..dlo is giving them an actual second option while klay is out. Capped out, who exactly were they going to get to help fill that void if they had not swung that trade? When the playoffs come around, how many teams have a third option like Dlo? Not many.
reflex35
Rookie
And1: 672

Post#26 » by reflex35 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:54 am

Why everyone is so negative about D'Angelo chances to stay with Warriors for a long time?
He is not replacing Klay.
But I can see D'Angelo, Klay, Steph, Green, Looney unit working. This unit is dangerous.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#27 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:27 am

WarriorGM wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

Darko was never an all-star. D'Angelo may have more in common with Wade. Wade was an all-star at 23. D'Angelo was an all-star at 22.

I find the amount of doubt in D'lo very strange. He just had his breakout season and lots of people are speaking about it like it's fools gold.

The guy was in a bad situation with the Lakers, a team without any leadership, surrounded by knuckleheads and a first time head coach that I think it's safe to say was a little in over his head. It's not surprising that he struggled. After going to another team with a better coach he was able to fulfill his potential. Hopefully with the Warriors he'll take another step forward.

If he does I get the impression people will be saying that nobody saw it coming. It's like last season never happened.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
shmeakone
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,428

Post#28 » by shmeakone » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:18 am

I personally think he will be able to, but in different ways.
My lifetime better have a Knicks championship.
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#29 » by gorz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:49 am

Unpopular take: Dlo will be better than Klay. Klay is on the waning years of his prime. Ppl think Dlo is already some finished product..hes going to get better.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,260

Post#30 » by iLLmatic860 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:36 pm

I think Warriors gonna be one of the funnest teams to watch this season
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,260

Post#31 » by iLLmatic860 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:38 pm

gorz wrote:Unpopular take: Dlo will be better than Klay. Klay is on the waning years of his prime. Ppl think Dlo is already some finished product..hes going to get better.

Maybe Klay wont be as good on defense but we talking about a guy who can score 45 pts on 11 dribbles lol
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#32 » by E-Balla » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:40 pm

Flash Falcon X wrote:No ones thinking that.

D-Lo and Klay are two completely different players.

With D-Lo, Steph will get to play off-ball while D-Lo handles and initiates the offense. It’s a much different component than Klay because Russell can actually dribble.

Have you ever seen Klay run point while Steph plays off-ball? No you haven’t. It’s usually Draymond or Iggy who would handle while Steph plays off the ball and the defense never worried about Draymond or Iggy scoring—but with D-Lo handling, it’s a different story.

Once Klay gets back, you also got Steph and Klay playing off-ball while D-Lo handles. The defense has to worry about not just the Splash Brothers, but Russell with the ball as well who can easily score on his own, or set up a big like WCS/Looney, or swing it to Draymond to keep the ball moving, etc.

And yes, the Warriors can play all three of D-Lo, Steph and Klay. People forget they Klay can play SF, and people don’t realize how tall Klay Thompson actually is. Klay is taller than Andre Iguodala—Klay is 6’7”.

Also, aside from those three running together. You’ll also see Steph and D-Lo stagger their minutes throughout games as well. Which means the Warriors will always have someone running the offense on full blast all game.

People tend to automatically think, “Steph is a point. D-Lo is a point. LOL STEVE AND STEPHON KNICKS AGAIN,” and call it a day but really D-Lo adds an intriguing component to the Warriors once you give it some thought.

People legitimately think DLo is going to run SG next to Steph like Steph hasn't been a SG with Dray running point for 4 years now...
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,549

Post#33 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:56 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:

I find the amount of doubt in D'lo very strange. He just had his breakout season and lots of people are speaking about it like it's fools gold.

The guy was in a bad situation with the Lakers, a team without any leadership, surrounded by knuckleheads and a first time head coach that I think it's safe to say was a little in over his head. It's not surprising that he struggled. After going to another team with a better coach he was able to fulfill his potential. Hopefully with the Warriors he'll take another step forward.

If he does I get the impression people will be saying that nobody saw it coming. It's like last season never happened.

People still like to pretend that D'Angelo is still the same immature 19 year old that was on the Lakers. Dude's game and overall professionalism have improved tenfold since his time with the Nets.

The Warriors are getting a solid young basketball player with excellent court vision, a nice three point shot and the ability to make huge shots in the clutch. he also can go on flame thrower scoring binges at any given time where he looks practically unstoppable. Last season was the most fun I've had watching the Nets play in years and a lot of that was due to Russell.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,647

Post#34 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Curry will replace Klay. At least offensively. Defensively, they are screwed.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#35 » by Asif16 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:20 pm

There are people out there that are really saying that?

Russel is masssively overrated and wont come close to matching Klay's production. Russel is easily guardable.

Not to mention Klay is an elite defender while Russel probably cant even slow down Raymond Felton
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#36 » by iamworthy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Two different players.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,545

Post#37 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:10 pm

reflex35 wrote:Why everyone is so negative about D'Angelo chances to stay with Warriors for a long time?
But I can see D'Angelo, Klay, Steph, Green, Looney unit working. This unit is dangerous.
If you can get something like Covington + another rotation player probably the Warriors would be much better.
As they are they don't have neither the top talent they used to have last year nor the depth they had in the 73w season.

I don't think DAR is worth a max slot.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
reflex35
Rookie

Post#38 » by reflex35 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
reflex35 wrote:Why everyone is so negative about D'Angelo chances to stay with Warriors for a long time?
If you can get something like Covington + another rotation player probably the Warriors would be much better.
As they are they don't have neither the top talent they used to have last year nor the depth they had in the 73w season.

I can agree with some points you made but is Middleton or Harris worth the contracts they signed? I would argue.. I would argue due to the age and other things who is a better value - D'Angelo or those 2...

Covington + another rotation player is an extreme example. Covington is probably one of the best 3&D guys in the league. Even with that in mind I would keep D'Angelo.
reflex35
Rookie

Post#39 » by reflex35 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:30 pm

reflex35 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:

I can agree with some points you made but is Middleton or Harris worth the contracts they signed? I would argue.. I would argue due to the age and other things who is a better value - D'Angelo or those 2...

Covington + another rotation player is an extreme example. Covington is probably one of the best 3&D guys in the league. Even with that in mind I would keep D'Angelo.

The only problem with Russell is his brain power and that he is not very smart. Trying to sneak weed in a tea can :lol: :crazy:
I hope Green smacks him a couple of times just for the sake of it and guys like Steph and Klay put him in a right place and teach him how to shoot even better and be a better player..
I think he's a good kid and with the guidance of vets he can be become a forth all-star on that rooster and score + 24 points a night.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#40 » by XxIronChainzxX » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:31 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:

I simply think he's in the DeMar DeRozan all-star category - a high price and profile guy who got a lot of the credit for what was a surprising season built on team success. The Nets were basically a .500 team, which was a surprise, and DLo managed to score on league average efficiency without being a trainwreck on defense.

That's nothing to write home about. I get that he's young - and people think youth has an upward trajectory - but I don't think he's yet taken a major step forward as a young player. He just managed to get a high profile role.

Return to The General Board