ImageImageImage

2019 Post draft, free agency, and trade speculation: ValleyBoyz are back!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Re: 2019 Post draft, free agency, and trade speculation: ValleyBoyz are back! 

Post#1921 » by bwgood77 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:08 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Crives wrote:
Not last in the west. Last in the pacific... at least while Klay is out. We will see.

More then anything I think the warriors were dominant due to their defense... now they clearly have one of the worst defenses in the west with the loss of KD/Klay/Iggy. Draymond hasn’t been great during the regular season recently.. it’s been the playoffs when he is stepped up. As good as Curry is... I’m not sure Steph + DLo + regular season Draymond + even less depth then last year moves the needle in the west/pacific.

They may struggle somewhat before Klay gets back, and if the Kings and us play really really well it's possible, but I think they will still be pretty good. I think Looney has gotten a lot better and like Saberestar said, they added some depth like WCS and Burks.

I still see Steph as a legit floor raiser. If there's no stars on the team and just average but competent role players, I think Steph can still propel them to 35-40 wins. Throw in Draymond's defense and playmaking and DLo as an x-factor, I think there floor is still a .500 team. If Klay is back around ASW and even if they slowly bring him back into the fold, they should still win around 50 games.

They will be experienced, talented and well-coached enough to feast on a ton of teams in the regular season but the playoffs is a different story

Yes, Curry + replacement level players is good close to 500 ball. I've always felt Draymond was huge to that team. He has had a drop off but he will probably step up with other players missing. For them it would be nice if he got his 3 ball back to a respectable %. And if Russell can keep hitting 3s like he did last year, or better, they will be solid. It's still 3 all stars, one of them being one of the best defensive players ever. Draymond is still far more impactful than any player we have, if only for defense. They should have great ball movement with 3 players who can average 6-7 assists per game. So they will have better defense and ball movement than us, and better shooting, at least from the perimeter. But even McKinnie shot better than anyone on our team (that returned) last year, so their 1-2-3 is solid shooting and with Klay back they will be elite shooting. When he comes back they will be able to hang with anyone.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1922 » by bwgood77 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Crives wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
They may struggle somewhat before Klay gets back, and if the Kings and us play really really well it's possible, but I think they will still be pretty good. I think Looney has gotten a lot better and like Saberestar said, they added some depth like WCS and Burks.

I still see Steph as a legit floor raiser. If there's no stars on the team and just average but competent role players, I think Steph can still propel them to 35-40 wins. Throw in Draymond's defense and playmaking and DLo as an x-factor, I think there floor is still a .500 team. If Klay is back around ASW and even if they slowly bring him back into the fold, they should still win around 50 games.

They will be experienced, talented and well-coached enough to feast on a ton of teams in the regular season but the playoffs is a different story

I think Steph/Klay/Draymond just fit together like a perfect puzzle. The sum of the three was much greater then the sum of the individual parts. Steph is really going to struggle on D now... won’t be able to hide him on Defense with the roster changes. I can’t see the Warriors being a .500 team with zero perimeter/wing defense... but who knows... going to be a fun season. Warriors need a healthy Klay back ASAP... but if the Warriors do squeak into the playoffs... I would have them as favorites over LA if Klay comes back healthy.

Steph is an decent defender. He's actually a positive defender based on metrics. He's much better than Booker, as is Russell. Throw Draymond in there along with WCS and Looney and they are definitely an above avg defensive team.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1923 » by bwgood77 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:22 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:With GS and how this year is percieved it depends where you set the bar. Vegas has them at 46-49 wins depending on the book. Even hitting that would be quite a step back from where they have been the past 5 years.

That seems about right although it wouldn't shock me if they went under. I feel like the margin for error is much lower for them. They can't afford curry to miss a month or green to come and have to play himself into shape again. There's also the factor where their opponents are going be as intimidated playing them and with how many teams play this style they have lost some of their system advantage they had early in their dynasty. Teams will still get up to play them and try to knock off the bullies so this season could be a bit of a grind.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

I think in a normal year, if they were healthy and Klay came back by the all star break, I'd take the over, but I feel like records will be worse overall this year and 44-45 wins probably gets you in the playoffs. I won't be surprised if the #1 seed has like 53 or 54 wins. Though if the LAC stay healthy they may eclipse that.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#1924 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:46 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:With GS and how this year is percieved it depends where you set the bar. Vegas has them at 46-49 wins depending on the book. Even hitting that would be quite a step back from where they have been the past 5 years.

That seems about right although it wouldn't shock me if they went under. I feel like the margin for error is much lower for them. They can't afford curry to miss a month or green to come and have to play himself into shape again. There's also the factor where their opponents are going be as intimidated playing them and with how many teams play this style they have lost some of their system advantage they had early in their dynasty. Teams will still get up to play them and try to knock off the bullies so this season could be a bit of a grind.

I think in a normal year, if they were healthy and Klay came back by the all star break, I'd take the over, but I feel like records will be worse overall this year and 44-45 wins probably gets you in the playoffs. I won't be surprised if the #1 seed has like 53 or 54 wins. Though if the LAC stay healthy they may eclipse that.
Well see with Klay. On one hand he seems to be a guy who comes back quickly from injury but on the other hand he's 29 and they have a long term investment in him so might be cautious with rushing him back especially after the KD stuff.

I kind of view the warriors like I did LeBron last year. Sure they still want to make a run but if things break wrong they might essentially play the long game and maybe it's not the worst thing if they have a shorter season after 5 straight years of playing into June. Like say curry missed a month and they are sitting at the 11 seed at the deadline I don't think it's completely crazy to think they would punt.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1925 » by bwgood77 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Well see with Klay. On one hand he seems to be a guy who comes back quickly from injury but on the other hand he's 29 and they have a long term investment in him so might be cautious with rushing him back especially after the KD stuff.

I kind of view the warriors like I did LeBron last year. Sure they still want to make a run but if things break wrong they might essentially play the long game and maybe it's not the worst thing if they have a shorter season after 5 straight years of playing into June. Like say curry missed a month and they are sitting at the 11 seed at the deadline I don't think it's completely crazy to think they would punt.

Yeah, you mentioned that before. I can see them being careful with Klay, which is why I say all star break. ACL injuries typically take 5-7 months, so that would mean between an early December to early February return under normal circumstances. But I could see them giving until after the all star break which would be over 7 1/2 months. Ultimately they will probably leave it up to him and not force him to come back, but I imagine he will want to come back. If he's ready, completely healed, and cleared to go, there really isn't much of a reason to make him sit out another 8 months.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#1926 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Now I'm not the biggest DLo fan but he was a huge signing for them because they absolutely needed someone to take the scoring load off Curry.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,054

Post#1927 » by Crives » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:31 pm

Lol
Read on Twitter
?s=21
darmani
Sixth Man
And1: 2,728

Post#1928 » by darmani » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:08 pm

Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
darmani
Sixth Man

Post#1929 » by darmani » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:13 pm

Yay! More NBA TV games!
Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#1930 » by Saberestar » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:32 pm

Read on Twitter
darmani
Sixth Man

Post#1931 » by darmani » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:35 pm

This is fantastic
Read on Twitter
Crives
General Manager

Post#1932 » by Crives » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:16 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pretty rough start. 8 of first 10 opponents are likely playoff teams
Moochthemonkey
Sixth Man
And1: 1,579

Post#1933 » by Moochthemonkey » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:43 pm

darmani wrote:This is fantastic
Read on Twitter

excellent. I would have 0 issue if this board unequivocally displayed that level of homerism. *Head over to Suns reddit*
Crives
General Manager

Post#1934 » by Crives » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:43 pm

No love
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Crives
General Manager

Post#1935 » by Crives » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:46 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Crives
General Manager

Post#1936 » by Crives » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:47 pm

Im kind of shocked the kings only get 1 national game.. against the pelicans (same as us)
alamin330
Pro Prospect
And1: 497

Post#1937 » by alamin330 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:57 pm

Crives wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

I can see suns going 7-3 or 2-8. So probably somewhere in between is more likely.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#1938 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:53 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Now I'm not the biggest DLo fan but he was a huge signing for them because they absolutely needed someone to take the scoring load off Curry.

Likewise but even then I think it's an incredibly underrated move this offseason. Everyone is talking about Kawhi, PG, AD, Kyrie moving to different teams and KD moving on from the Dubs but the DLo trade barely gets much air time. I mean, I get it, they won't be a bonafide contender with where the team is but the DLo trade isn't nothing. He's an 'all-star' level player and on paper, they still have an MVP-caliber guy, a DPOY-level guy and usually that's enough. Throw in DLo who's probably not an all-star in the West but he's still a good player and the potential for a legit all-star in Klay coming back to play maybe 20-30 games, they are still going to be solid. They won't be as good this season (for obvious reasons) but they could probably still hang with the top tier teams
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1939 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:54 pm

Crives wrote:Lol
Read on Twitter
?s=21

lol is that a necessary tweet?

On the real though, who thinks he's gonna just have the game of the season and put up like 22/7/4 and hitting like 4/6 3's
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1940 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:56 pm

alamin330 wrote:
Crives wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

I can see suns going 7-3 or 2-8. So probably somewhere in between is more likely.

I much prefer tough games at the start. Throw them into the deep end early

Return to Phoenix Suns