Spurs/Wolves

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,034

Spurs/Wolves 

Post#1 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Belli, Samanic, White for RoCo, Graham

Spurs get the perfect 3/D guy that allows DD to be more effective. Wolves get a PGOTF and a high talent 4 to try out next to Towns.
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Re: Spurs/Wolves 

Post#2 » by SmokeyPaw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:27 pm

I'd do this for the wolves, I like white and as valuable as Roco is to us we need ballhandling. Samancic is worth a look. Couldnt answer for the spurs, not sure they'd value Covington over White.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,825

Post#3 » by giberish » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:02 pm

This one's interesting. It seems at least roughly plausible. Covington's still a somewhat better then White, but White's younger. Covington's a better fit with SA - more size and off the ball shooting to pair with Murray and DeRozan. White fits the Wolves core age-wise better then Covington - though you can argue this leaves Minny with a lot of SG-types.

I'm not sure Samanic is good enough to cause an issue with the Spurs trading him away.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#4 » by rugbyrugger23 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:14 pm

giberish wrote:This one's interesting. It seems at least roughly plausible. Covington's still a somewhat better then White, but White's younger. Covington's a better fit with SA - more size and off the ball shooting to pair with Murray and DeRozan. White fits the Wolves core age-wise better then Covington - though you can argue this leaves Minny with a lot of SG-types.

I'm not sure Samanic is good enough to cause an issue with the Spurs trading him away.

I think White is 25. So not too much younger.

Wolves should go for Murray. And let him come back slow with Teague around.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#5 » by Mykhyn » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:10 am

I'd be shocked if we traded Samanic. Theres evidence of RC personally scouting him for 3+ years. On top of that Pop and Duncan did the personality assessment in person themselves. Then they reached on him despite having a later pick that he was expected to be available at. I can't remember that being the case for any other player the Spurs have ever drafted.

Going into the draft our biggest need was pretty clearly SF. After the draft interview RC said that Keldon Johnson was the top rated SF on the Spurs draft board. The fact that they passed on Keldon for Samanic when he was expected to be available at 29 speaks volumes to what they think Luka can become.

I just can't see any scenario that he's included in a package for a non star before he's played a couple years for us.

I personally think the Spurs see Dejounte/White/Walker/Samanic as bordering on untouchable currently. I don't think any of them would be on the table for Covington.

Given the news that we're thinking of extending Derozan I don't think theres a trade to be had with the Wolves for Covington. I suspect the Spurs offer would cap out at Forbes+ Belienlli + pick or Mills + Pick or Carroll + pick for Covington and I just can't see the Wolves doing any of those trades. I fully expect Covington to be a Warrior by the start of 2020-2021 honestly.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,383

Post#6 » by shrink » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:33 am

Giberish nailed it. It’s interesting, but at SG, MIN used this year’s pick (#6 Culver), last year’s pick (#20 Okogie), plus that’s Wiggins’ better position, and he’d be costly to move.

MIN only has investments in SG and C, so if they trade Covington (SF, and will play some PF this year), it will be to fill one of the other three spots with some high upside young player.

My guess is that DEN will want to trade some of it’s strong young depth (just not enough minutes), or POR will see Covington as the piece they really need. However, there are lots of teams that need a starting SF that is elite defensively, so who knows?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,470

Post#7 » by Chinook » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:20 am

I'd rather it be Murray instead of White if that's an option. But keeping Walker, Johnson and one of the PGs makes this a more palatable deal.

Murray (or White), Mills
Forbes, Walker, Graham
DeRozan, Carroll, Johnson
Covington, Gay, Metu
Aldridge, Poeltl, Lyles

It's razor thin, but if the PG and Walker develop, that team can win the West. But Cov is now injury-prone, and I'm not convinced he'd hold up a full season at the four. Adding KBD into the deal either instead of Graham or for Metu makes sense. Gives SA some extra size and the ability to drop Bryn or Lonnie from the rotation if one doesn't work out. Or it lets them trade Mills, though they'd already be in the position where they should be looking for one to fill in that last spot.

It's a good trade, though. It's a lot to give up from the Spurs' perspective, but it's for a piece they need, so at least the stakes make sense. It's the first thread in a long time where I feel like it's good while also feeling like SA doesn't solidly win.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:23 am

Cklbmk wrote:I'd be shocked if we traded Samanic. Theres evidence of RC personally scouting him for 3+ years. On top of that Pop and Duncan did the personality assessment in person themselves. Then they reached on him despite having a later pick that he was expected to be available at. I can't remember that being the case for any other player the Spurs have ever drafted.

Going into the draft our biggest need was pretty clearly SF. After the draft interview RC said that Keldon Johnson was the topi rated SF on the Spurs draft board. The fact that they passed on Keldon for Samanic when he was expected to be available at 29 speaks volumes to what they think Luka can become.

I just can't see any scenario that he's included in a package for a non star before he's played a couple years for us.

I personally think the Spurs see Dejounte/White/Walker/Samanic as bordering on untouchable currently. I don't think any of them would be on the table for Covington.

Given the news that we're thinking of extending Derozan I don't think theres a trade to be had with the Wolves for Covington. I suspect the Spurs offer would cap out at Forbes+ Belienlli + pick or Mills + Pick or Carroll + pick for Covington and I just can't see the Wolves doing any of those trades. I fully expect Covington to be a Warrior by the start of 2020-2021 honestly.

I’m sure they believe in both players, but Keldon was not their top SF and Samanic is real solid but not anything special
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,470

Post#9 » by Chinook » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:44 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:I'd be shocked if we traded Samanic. Theres evidence of RC personally scouting him for 3+ years. On top of that Pop and Duncan did the personality assessment in person themselves. Then they reached on him despite having a later pick that he was expected to be available at. I can't remember that being the case for any other player the Spurs have ever drafted.

Going into the draft our biggest need was pretty clearly SF. After the draft interview RC said that Keldon Johnson was the topi rated SF on the Spurs draft board. The fact that they passed on Keldon for Samanic when he was expected to be available at 29 speaks volumes to what they think Luka can become.

I’m sure they believe in both players, but Keldon was not their top SF and Samanic is real solid but not anything special

RC said Johnson was one of their top players and they were surprised to see him still there. No reason to think he wasn't being honest.
Mykhyn
General Manager

Post#10 » by Mykhyn » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:16 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

He seemed pretty honest in the interview.

https://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2019/06/21/2655765/1561094395892-rc-buford-post-draft-media-2655765

You also have to take into account, their first filter is a personality filter. If they don't like someone's mental makeup they don't make it on the board at all.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#11 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:40 am

I saw the title and almost skipped this one; but it just might work out. Minnesota needs to build for the future and this trade gives them a good shot at developing talent. Covington is the key for San Antonio and I really like his fit on their team.

Arguments that San Antonio shouldn't trade some of their young talent make a lot of sense (and not just Samanic & White). Their question becomes: how far do they go if they add Covington.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:32 pm

Chinook wrote:I'd rather it be Murray instead of White if that's an option. But keeping Walker, Johnson and one of the PGs makes this a more palatable deal.

Murray (or White), Mills
Forbes, Walker, Graham
DeRozan, Carroll, Johnson
Covington, Gay, Metu
Aldridge, Poeltl, Lyles

It's razor thin, but if the PG and Walker develop, that team can win the West. But Cov is now injury-prone, and I'm not convinced he'd hold up a full season at the four. Adding KBD into the deal either instead of Graham or for Metu makes sense. Gives SA some extra size and the ability to drop Bryn or Lonnie from the rotation if one doesn't work out. Or it lets them trade Mills, though they'd already be in the position where they should be looking for one to fill in that last spot.

It's a good trade, though. It's a lot to give up from the Spurs' perspective, but it's for a piece they need, so at least the stakes make sense. It's the first thread in a long time where I feel like it's good while also feeling like SA doesn't solidly win.

Wasn't sure which one you all valued more, but I think Murray or White makes this work.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:35 pm

shrink wrote:Giberish nailed it. It’s interesting, but at SG, MIN used this year’s pick (#6 Culver), last year’s pick (#20 Okogie), plus that’s Wiggins’ better position, and he’d be costly to move.

MIN only has investments in SG and C, so if they trade Covington (SF, and will play some PF this year), it will be to fill one of the other three spots with some high upside young player.

My guess is that DEN will want to trade some of it’s strong young depth (just not enough minutes), or POR will see Covington as the piece they really need. However, there are lots of teams that need a starting SF that is elite defensively, so who knows?

I was under the impression that White could play the 1 well. But I think it could be Murray, I'm not sure which one the Spurs see as their guy. And I think there are a number of good deal options out there with Denver, Portland, etc., just wanted to present something new as RoCo is probably the most interesting win now piece potentially on the market.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 384

Post#14 » by pad300 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:17 pm

SAS isn't doing that. The FO figures that both White and Samanic can be special...
bigmean
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#15 » by bigmean » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:01 am

Good deal for both.... not enough minutes for gay carroll lyles and covington.. unless aldridge plays center permantely.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,825

Post#16 » by giberish » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:27 am

bigmean wrote:Good deal for both.... not enough minutes for gay carroll lyles and covington.. unless aldridge plays center permantely.

LMA is a center. He might still cover spot minutes at PF in some matchups but he's a center. He was always tall enough, and as he's gotten older he's gotten stronger and slower - and so has followed pretty much every other tall, skinny young PF in becoming a center.
Mykhyn
General Manager

Post#17 » by Mykhyn » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:26 am

giberish wrote:
bigmean wrote:Good deal for both.... not enough minutes for gay carroll lyles and covington.. unless aldridge plays center permantely.

LMA is a center. He might still cover spot minutes at PF in some matchups but he's a center. He was always tall enough, and as he's gotten older he's gotten stronger and slower - and so has followed pretty much every other tall, skinny young PF in becoming a center.

Naw he regularly refuses to guard real centers. Gay will end up bodying them instead of lma

Return to Trades and Transactions