ImageImageImageImageImage

Eric Paschall's Potential

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 360

Eric Paschall's Potential 

Post#1 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:47 pm

I know he's an older rookie by NBA standards, but watching quite a bit of his highlights from his junior and senior year, I'd say he can possibly be utilized as an oversized 2 guard or even a 3. Reminds me a lot like Joe Johnson (Mr. ISO; ISO Joe). A big and strong body that can overpower smaller and weaker players in the post, seems to have decent handles for a big guy, and can shoot it. He's looking more and more like a 2nd round steal if he can develop anything close to him (Hopefully not too much isolation plays), but probably his ceiling is Paul Millsap -- which isn't too shabby, either.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Re: Eric Paschall's Potential 

Post#2 » by killmongrel » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:20 pm

I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but I wouldn't be surprised if he starts at small forward. 6'7". Strong. Athletic. Can shoot. Handle is good. Looks like he can guard multiple positions. I trust his defense more than I do McKinnie's. The only way I don't see him starting is if Robinson looks like he can return to his Indiana days. A line up of Steph/DLo/Paschall/Green/WCS is going to be surprisingly good. Camp is going to be interesting with a lot of players competing for the starting job at the 3. But Paschall wins it because of his defense.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,349

Post#3 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:20 pm

He may be the only person on the team that can physically match LeBron and Kawhi. We need him to step up.

God, I miss Andre Iguodala already.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#4 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:25 am

killmongrel wrote:I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but I wouldn't be surprised if he starts at small forward. 6'7". Strong. Athletic. Can shoot. Handle is good. Looks like he can guard multiple positions. I trust his defense more than I do McKinnie's. The only way I don't see him starting is if Robinson looks like he can return to his Indiana days. A line up of Steph/DLo/Paschall/Green/WCS is going to be surprisingly good. Camp is going to be interesting with a lot of players competing for the starting job at the 3. But Paschall wins it because of his defense.

From his 2019 Bleacher Report scouting analysis:

Offensive Strengths: Strong, explosive and versatile. Can make shots from all three levels.
Offensive Weaknesses: Lacks a speciality skill. Is neither a lights-out shooter nor advanced shot-creator.
Defensive Outlook: Can guard both forward spots, but he isn't always the sharpest containing or making reads.
Projected Role: Reserve combo forward.

The report stated that his 'do a little of everything' ability may remind some of Draymond. He doesn't have Draymond's passing ability, but the report said his likely role will be as someone who can come off the bench and spell Draymond.

Could he be our starting SF? Who knows, but I don't see anything in the scouting report that screams 'starting SF" to me. Unless he shows something really special in pre-season, I would guess that both McKinnie (due to familiarity) and even GR3 (started 18 games at SF last season and 27 games in 2017) would be ahead of him on the SF depth chart. Being Draymond's backup seems like a more realistic and attainable goal for a rookie.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#5 » by Mylie10 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:49 am

I predicted he will play some small forward out of necessity at times this season. I haven't changed that outlook.

Draymond will also spend some minutes playing small forward. It won't be every game, but more situational. Same for Paschall.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,391

Post#6 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:48 am

4th option on a championship team. He has an assortment of offensive moves, but I don't think they will work as well in the pros. He will go as far as his defense goes. He's not as intense as Draymond on the defensive end, so I don't think he will be a shutdown defender. If he can hit open threes and play solid switching defense his first year then it's a good start. For him, his future will be all about his defense, but he seems offensive minded. I just don't think his offense will be superior enough to make him a star. If he focuses on his defense, he will always be able to find a starting rotation job in the NBA. Should try to pattern his game after Draymond and Iguodala. His offense is superior to those two, but they both made a living off defensive end, high IQ basketball, and play making.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#7 » by Coxy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:51 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:4th option on a championship team. He has an assortment of offensive moves, but I don't think they will work as well in the pros. He will go as far as his defense goes. He's not as intense as Draymond on the defensive end, so I don't think he will be a shutdown defender. If he can hit open threes and play solid switching defense his first year then it's a good start. For him, his future will be all about his defense, but he seems offensive minded. I just don't think his offense will be superior enough to make him a star. If he focuses on his defense, he will always be able to find a starting rotation job in the NBA. Should try to pattern his game after Draymond and Iguodala. His offense is superior to those two, but they both made a living off defensive end, high IQ basketball, and play making.

Your handle :rofl:
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#8 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:45 pm

hard to say what he could be given that he's 'ok' at a lot of things but not necessarily NBA level at anything at this point...physically speaking he's NBA ready, but how is he gonna earn his minutes is the question? what's his path to success?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#9 » by Mylie10 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:04 am

clyde21 wrote:hard to say what he could be given that he's 'ok' at a lot of things but not necessarily NBA level at anything at this point...physically speaking he's NBA ready, but how is he gonna earn his minutes is the question? what's his path to success?

I think with Kerr, he has to earn his keep by playing defense first. You can forgive some mental mistakes if a dude is bringing it on defense. Part of that would also be defensive rebounding.

He has pretty good mid range and if he is shooting with confidence on good percentages, then he's in.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:52 am

Mylie10 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:hard to say what he could be given that he's 'ok' at a lot of things but not necessarily NBA level at anything at this point...physically speaking he's NBA ready, but how is he gonna earn his minutes is the question? what's his path to success?

I think with Kerr, he has to earn his keep by playing defense first. You can forgive some mental mistakes if a dude is bringing it on defense. Part of that would also be defensive rebounding.

He has pretty good mid range and if he is shooting with confidence on good percentages, then he's in.

yea rebounding is the first thing that comes to mind but even college he wasnt that strong of a rebounder despite the physical prowess he has...well see
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#11 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:34 am

At this point his biggest road block is getting on the court past the other 6 guys who are supposedly going to be trying to get minutes at the 3. Of course that's a positive too in that nobody has the job and none of them have much history to point to to keep him off the floor.

This season is all about developing and evaluating every player on the roster not names Curry, Klay, Dray, or Loon.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#12 » by wco81 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 6:10 am

He’s got more scoring talent than I think anyone expected.

Did they say he’s got a 7-feet wingspan? Doesn’t seem like it, seems like he’s too compact to be that long.

The thing to look for is he he can playmake and then defend like Draymond, who may be a trade chip.

I don’t know if they plan to play Curry in March and April, or even part of February.

They could make a push for not playoffs but some empty wins.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#13 » by Phase 3 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 6:13 am

Floor: Draymond/Zion hybrid

Ceiling: Better version of LeBron
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#14 » by jamesnamida » Tue Nov 5, 2019 6:16 am

Trade curry and green
We got the hybrid in Paschall
Paschalls wager
Passgod

But seriously his 3 point shooting won’t be too reliable unless he is set and open. He shoots It as a jumpshot and releases it the top of the arc so it’s very flat bc of the longer distance.

But if he keeps just the intangibles up, what a find. Said during draft day he is the rookie that will contribute the most cause he’s nba ready.
wco81
RealGM

Post#15 » by wco81 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 6:22 am

Obviously he's not going to get the FG attempts with Curry and Klay in the game. I don't think they'd run ISO for him say in the last few seconds of a shot clock in a playoffs game, though if he has that kind of skills, that would be something.

But he might be a consistent catch and shoot player from 3, so that they can't load up on the Splash Brothers.

The key is can he defend 2-4 like Draymond. Can he be a great help defender at the rim like Draymond. If he really has that wingspan, I guess the Warriors will run him in a new death lineup.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 828

Post#16 » by marthafokker » Tue Nov 5, 2019 6:28 am

If dubbs can find a rebounding 5 that can shoot 3s for next year....

OR

Imagine if Greek Freak wants to team up.... And all it cost is a package of our lottery 1st and Russell package!
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#17 » by likashing » Tue Nov 5, 2019 6:36 am

He reminds me of Brandon Bass.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
wco81
RealGM

Post#18 » by wco81 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 6:37 am

6-7.25 in shoes and 6-11.75 wingspan.

https://stats.nba.com/articles/2019-nba-draft-profile-eric-paschall/

If he can raise his scoring average from 17 to over 20 by the end of Nov. or Dec. I think it will make the team reassess their strategy.
Sam Lowry Jr
Bench Warmer
And1: 281

Post#19 » by Sam Lowry Jr » Tue Nov 5, 2019 6:38 am

Paul Millsap.
wco81
RealGM

Post#20 » by wco81 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 6:54 am

If he can defend half as good as Dray while say average 20/10 with the Splash Bros out, he would be a unicorn.

But I assume teams won’t just leave him wide open any more. He said in the post fame show that it’s nice not to be double teamed like in college.

Presumably if he played with the Splash Brothers he’d get. Wide open looks again.

Return to Golden State Warriors