Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession 

Post#1 » by Drygon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:31 pm

Read on Twitter
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Re: Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession 

Post#2 » by Drygon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:32 pm

It's hard to believe that Telfair actually was viewed as the next big thing alongside with LeBron 17 years ago :lol:

At least they were half right.

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Re: Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession 

Post#3 » by blind prophet » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:35 pm

Telfair told The Post on Monday before his sentencing that the weapons were his and legally licensed, although in Florida. He was not licensed to have them in New York.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/12/ex-nba-player-sebastian-telfair-gets-over-3-years-on-weapons-charges/

Seems kind of harsh to me.

Note to self, don't bring a gun to NY.
poultryfan
Senior
And1: 875

Post#4 » by poultryfan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:38 pm

Drygon wrote:It's hard to believe that Telfair actually was viewed as the next big thing alongside with LeBron 17 years ago :lol:

At least they were half right.

That magazine cover instantly came to mind as soon as I heard the news. Just wow lol.
SWYM
Senior
And1: 828

Post#5 » by SWYM » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:39 pm

blind prophet wrote:Telfair told The Post on Monday before his sentencing that the weapons were his and legally licensed, although in Florida. He was not licensed to have them in New York.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/12/ex-nba-player-sebastian-telfair-gets-over-3-years-on-weapons-charges/

NYC does not play around when it comes to gun possession wout a permit.
Klayforspicy
Head Coach
And1: 7,248

Post#6 » by Klayforspicy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:42 pm

That's the 2nd time he got caught with a firearm in NYC
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#7 » by BillTheGOAT » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:46 pm

Way too harsh IMO.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,372

Post#8 » by Dominator83 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:48 pm

Now this was a guy who should've went to college for a year. He could've used the seasoning coming into the league. He came in too raw and busted. Now he's literally busted
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,192

Post#9 » by BNM » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:48 pm

Brandon_Roy wrote:That's the 2nd time he got caught with a firearm in NYC

I also recall he brought a loaded weapon on the team plane on a flight to Boston when he played for Portland. I don't believe he was criminally charged for that one, but he certainly has a history with possessing firearms when and where he shouldn't.

It's sad that he's going to end up serving significant time in prison for this when it could have been avoided. If you're going to carry a gun, have the proper permits.
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#10 » by zzaj » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:49 pm

SWYM wrote:
blind prophet wrote:Telfair told The Post on Monday before his sentencing that the weapons were his and legally licensed, although in Florida. He was not licensed to have them in New York.

Sad, but...

I do wonder if his previous infractions came into play. And, regardless of where they found them in his truck, he still had a machine gun, bullet proof vest, multiple magazines, etc...

If I had priors related to firearms, I would be extra cautious about that everywhere, let alone NYC...where everybody knows they are strict--especially NYers.

I don't think Bassey is playing with a full deck. His breakdown about "don't send me to jail, my daughter hasn't started her period..." thing is a little strange, if you ask me...
miamiheat319
Veteran
And1: 6,892

Post#11 » by miamiheat319 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:49 pm

Jesus that sucks. Used to be into reading biographies/autobiographies about NBA players when I was younger, and I read his and he seemed like a super cool dude. Definitely too harsh of a punishment.
NBA Jersey connoisseur
https://youtu.be/k-PaOWxvnz0
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#12 » by GeorgeMarcus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:50 pm

SWYM wrote:

Just ask Plaxico Burress
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,252

Post#13 » by JRoy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:50 pm

Such a disappointing career.

I wonder if a year or two or college would have done him some good.

He was not ready for the big leagues.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#14 » by GeorgeMarcus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:52 pm

Without knowing all the facts it seems too harsh. Maybe the national discussion on gun restrictions factored into that (again I have no idea)
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,568

Post#15 » by Colbinii » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:55 pm

A scrub on and off the court.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,490

Post#16 » by The Laker Kid » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:55 pm

Gilbert Arenas will throw a welcome party
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
Klayforspicy
Head Coach
And1: 7,248

Post#17 » by Klayforspicy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:00 pm

BNM wrote:

I also recall he brought a loaded weapon on the team plane on a flight to Boston when he played for Portland. I don't believe he was criminally charged for that one, but he certainly has a history with possessing firearms when and where he shouldn't.

It's sad that he's going to end up serving significant time in prison for this when it could have been avoided. If you're going to

carry a gun, have the proper permits.
At that point it's not even about protection anymore. You're going to a hotel in Boston, the worst you'll encounter is maybe some uncultured civilians.

I'm not gonna call this harsh because I know how Bassy gets down. He has street beef(s)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2006-10-21-0610210173-story.html
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,192

Post#18 » by BNM » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:03 pm

Brandon_Roy wrote:
BNM wrote:

It's sad that he's going to end up serving significant time in prison for this when it could have been avoided. If you're going to

carry a gun, have the proper permits.
At that point it's not even about protection anymore. You're going to a hotel in Boston, the worst you'll encounter is maybe some uncultured civilians.

It wasn't even his gun (registered to his girlfriend), was loaded, stuffed in a pillowcase and he brought it on the team's private plane. Totally unnecessary and stupid.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#19 » by Bill Bradley » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:04 pm

Didn’t he know that only white civilians in red states are allowed to be heavily armed?

Warning: Don't bait.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,568

Post#20 » by Colbinii » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:06 pm

Bill Bradley wrote:Didn’t he know that only white civilians in red states are allowed to be heavily armed?

This is a terrible post. Telfair failed to read up on the rules of conceal and carry. How stupid can one be to not understand the rules and regulations of such a hot topic?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.

Return to The General Board