Assume He Repeats Last Season. What Does Montrezl Harrell Get Paid Next Summer?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Re: Assume He Repeats Last Season. What Does Montrezl Harrell Get Paid Next Summer? 

Post#21 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:07 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:I don’t get the Capela comparisons. Harrell is much better offensively and much worse defensively.

I agree for sure, although Capela's defensive impact has fallen off a ton the last couple years obviously. I still think the Rockets probably regret trading Harrell as a throw in. Doc flat out said the Clippers took him to save the Rockets tax and they weren't excited about him (neither were the Rockets). Then he quickly realized in practices that Harrell was killing our bigs and just "kept scoring" and making it look easy (Doc's words).
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Assume He Repeats Last Season. What Does Montrezl Harrell Get Paid Next Summer? 

Post#22 » by Pinkyring » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:08 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Buzzard wrote:What is absurd is getting 16.6, 6.5, and 1.3 blocks in just 26.3 minutes. If he were to play besides John Collins for 30 minutes a game, that would be two 18/19 and 8/9 a game bigs plus Harrells defensive hustle and shot changing ability.

The Hawks have plenty of shooters, what they need is someone willing and able to do the dirty work. He does not waste possessions either; TS% of .636 and a low turnover per 100 possessions at just 2.9. Tristian Thompson got 82 Million over five years. I think Harrell is better and he is younger.

No,, Thompson was/is an elite rebounder and a much better defender at his peak, harrell is trash defensively and a mediocre rebounder, he is a dirty work guy and thats a great asset but not at 20m

Absolutely not a trash defender anymore. He became an above average defender last year and very good shot blocker overall. He's not great or anything, but its nowhere near the liability it was the previous years. Rebounding, I'll agree he's average at best.. but 9 PER 36 isn't horrid or anything, just not special. He's a hell of a lot more than a dirty work guy. He's got an unstoppable touch inside the paint, the best hands in the NBA catching lobs/inside passes, is the #2 PNR finisher in the NBA and gets key offensive rebounds regularly. He made big leaps defensively and playmaking wise last year. This guy is arguably the most efficient offensive player in the NBA. He doesn't do anything outside of his ability and what he's good at he obliterates efficiency.

He's dwight Powell, pretty much the same strengths and weaknesses and we just have powell a 3/30 extension, Harrell is a tad better and younger so a 3/39 sure, but any team paying 20m will regret it
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#23 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:11 am

Pinkyring wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:No,, Thompson was/is an elite rebounder and a much better defender at his peak, harrell is trash defensively and a mediocre rebounder, he is a dirty work guy and thats a great asset but not at 20m

Absolutely not a trash defender anymore. He became an above average defender last year and very good shot blocker overall. He's not great or anything, but its nowhere near the liability it was the previous years. Rebounding, I'll agree he's average at best.. but 9 PER 36 isn't horrid or anything, just not special. He's a hell of a lot more than a dirty work guy. He's got an unstoppable touch inside the paint, the best hands in the NBA catching lobs/inside passes, is the #2 PNR finisher in the NBA and gets key offensive rebounds regularly. He made big leaps defensively and playmaking wise last year. This guy is arguably the most efficient offensive player in the NBA. He doesn't do anything outside of his ability and what he's good at he obliterates efficiency.

He's dwight Powell, pretty much the same strengths and weaknesses and we just have powell a 3/30 extension, Harrell is a tad better and younger so a 3/39 sure, but any team paying 20m will regret it

I think you are underselling him a fair bit, the metrics bore that out as well. That being said, I'd LOVE to lock him up for 3/39. You also have to look at the circumstances of why we may be forced to overpay him. That being said, the Clippers have been pretty ruthless trading guys who don't take discounts in recent years, so they may just trade him when his value is peaked if they think he's gonna demand max.

fianchetto
Starter
And1: 2,997

Post#24 » by fianchetto » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:17 am

Pinkyring wrote:20m is absurd, he's a 12-14m guy, he isnt a starter he's an energy big and u dont pay those guys 20m. Paying any guy that money that doesn't create his own offense or dominate on the glass or defensively is terrible

But the market is the market... he will get offered 20per in my opinion but I agree in principle it’s overpaying
“If I told you that a flower bloomed in a dark room, would you trust it?”
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#25 » by PistolPeteJR » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:18 am

Unfortunately for the Clips and their fans, he’ll be getting 4/80 at the very least. Teams with cap (who’ll have cap, I haven’t really checked) will be lining up to nab him to 1) get some good defensive and energetic talent (and if he’s improved his passing and shooting as he’s worked on ‘em this summer, teams will be even more enticed), and 2) take away from the Clips’ riches.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#26 » by Up-And-Coming » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:23 am

Harrell is good but am I missing something? He's never averaged more than 6 rebounds. 16.6 point and 6 rebounds last year which is solid production off the bench.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#27 » by Buzzard » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:26 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

I think you are underselling him a fair bit, the metrics bore that out as well. That being said, I'd LOVE to lock him up for 3/39. You also have to look at the circumstances of why we may be forced to overpay him. That being said, the Clippers have been pretty ruthless trading guys who don't take discounts in recent years, so they may just trade him when his value is peaked if they think he's gonna demand max.

I think he is underselling him to.

Powells per 36 last season:
17.7 PTS, 8.9 TRB, 1.1 BLK, 1.0 STL
Harrell per 36 last season:
22.7 PTS, 8.9 TRB, 1.8 BLK, 1.2 STL

There is no doubt in my mind Harrell has the bigger impact when he is on the floor. Powell is better suited on the bench and he is being paid that way. The team that chases and pays Harrell will be chasing him to be a starter. There is a big difference between those two types of pay days.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#28 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:27 am

Up-And-Coming wrote:Harrell is good but am I missing something? He's never averaged more than 6 rebounds. 16.6 point and 6 rebounds last year which is solid production off the bench.

The guy played a career high 26 minutes per game. Were you expecting 10+ rpg in that time? 23/9/2 blocks PER 36 on insane efficiency.

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#29 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:29 am

Buzzard wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:He's dwight Powell, pretty much the same strengths and weaknesses and we just have powell a 3/30 extension, Harrell is a tad better and younger so a 3/39 sure, but any team paying 20m will regret it

I think he is underselling him to.

Powells per 36 last season:
17.7 PTS, 8.9 TRB, 1.1 BLK, 1.0 STL
Harrell per 36 last season:
22.7 PTS, 8.9 TRB, 1.8 BLK, 1.2 STL

There is no doubt in my mind Harrell has the bigger impact when he is on the floor. Powell is better suited on the bench and he is being paid that way. The team that chases and pays Harrell will be chasing him to be a starter. There is a big difference between those two types of pay days.

Harrell also improved a ton as a passer last year and put up nearly 3 assists per 36. Also Harrell played the same with the same efficiency and raw production per minute the year before in less minutes, so we have a sample to draw from. He's a very rare player in the sense that his minutes/usage went UP, yet his efficiency/production didn't fall at all like it normally does in that scenario. Doc knows he's our best big and should start (which is why he regularly plays the entire 4th quarter to close games), but he prefers the elite bench pairing with Lou and balancing out the lineups.. so he doesn't start.

iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#30 » by iamworthy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:49 am

He's not a starter right? But he's going to get starter money? Has anyone else done this?
Pop Daddy
Freshman
And1: 60

Post#31 » by Pop Daddy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:54 am

I loved his numbers last year, a little bit of everything. Now they have all this star power, I dont know what his numbers will be, I could see them go down or I could see him come into his own, Im rooting for him
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,633

Post#32 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:56 am

I'm going to stay jaded and presume the deal they worked out last contract will see him be paid well over what he deserves.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by Up-And-Coming » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:03 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:Harrell is good but am I missing something? He's never averaged more than 6 rebounds. 16.6 point and 6 rebounds last year which is solid production off the bench.

The guy played a career high 26 minutes per game. Were you expecting 10+ rpg in that time? 23/9/2 blocks PER 36 on insane efficiency.

Per 36 is a flawed stat as you know. He's a good player who will probably continue to improve, but it just sounds like you keep hyping him up for everyone else.

But to answer the question, I think 3 years $45 million is fair and I can see someone offering 4 years $60 mil.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#34 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:18 am

Up-And-Coming wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

Per 36 is a flawed stat as you know. He's a good player who will probably continue to improve, but it just sounds like you keep hyping him up for everyone else.

But to answer the question, I think 3 years $45 million is fair and I can see someone offering 4 years $60 mil.

Explain the flaws. As his minutes rose his numbers bore out PER 36 perfectly. In fact, in Harrell's case if you look at year by year, it proves the validity of the stat.

Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by Up-And-Coming » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:31 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

Explain the flaws. As his minutes rose his numbers bore out PER 36 perfectly. In fact, in Harrell's case if you look at year by year, it proves the validity of the stat.

It's an unreliable stat in that Montrezl Harrell never in his career played close to 36 mpg. You're defensive when I wasn't even overtly critical of your Clipper
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#36 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:40 am

Up-And-Coming wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:

It's an unreliable stat in that Montrezl Harrell never in his career played close to 36 mpg. You're defensive when I wasn't even overtly critical of your Clipper

I'm not defensive or upset at all. I'm saying if anything Harrell is a perfect example of why PER 36 is a useful metric. I wanted you to explain what flaws you were referring to.

Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#37 » by Buzzard » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:46 am

iamworthy wrote:He's not a starter right? But he's going to get starter money? Has anyone else done this?

1/2 the players in the NBA probably rode the pine and then went to starting. If you need to be reminded of some recent good ones we have Draymond Green and Pascal Siakam. James Harden is probably the best example of them all.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,813

Post#38 » by dirkforpres » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:52 am

He will get 20 easily... Improved every year and still not in his prime
FIRE JASON KIDD
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,695

Post#39 » by Benedict_Boozer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:17 am

Rich Paul will ask for max, wait and see - if he doesn’t get it, will get ugly and it’s also in his interest to make the clippers worse to help his boy Lebron. Clips better be ready to open up the pocketbook.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,922

Post#40 » by zimpy27 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:22 am

Could get close to 4/80 with the lack of FA next off-season
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to The General Board