ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Casual / OT Wasteman Thread '20-21 Season XI

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant
And1: 30,508

Re: Official Casual / OT Wasteman Thread '18-19 Season XI 

Post#341 » by Red Shoelace » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:14 am

The Art of Racing in the Rain (2019) - 4.25/10
Spoiler:
The Art of Racing in the Rain 2019 ★★

Watched Aug 10, 2019
RedShoelace’s review published on Letterboxd:

The zebra must have come back from the dead and made this.

4.25/10

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/the-art-of-racing-in-the-rain/
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#342 » by Red Shoelace » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:17 am

Bumblebee (2018) - 6.25/10
Spoiler:
Bumblebee 2018 ★★★

Watched Aug 11, 2019

When you hear Transformer franchise, the first thought that comes to your mind is probably not a good one. Over the years and several movies later; Michael Bay, explosions, galactic warfare, and a revolving door of actors have all but sealed the fate of the franchise. Which is why Bumblebee, you know the cool Autobot who never had a voice and instead used the lyrics to songs on the radio, the little guy of the bunch, is finally centre stage. Michael Bay is no more, replaced by a director with an impressive creative resume - Travis Knight (Kube & The Two Strings). The result is a delightful little mini blockbuster with some heart, great casting, nostalgic 80's music & pop culture references, and of course a teeny tiny bit of shootouts and Rock Em Sock Em combat.

It doesn't take long for me to think of how great the casting of the film is. Pamela Adlon (Better Things) as Charlie's mother was a great addition as the non archetype motherly role, she rocks. Hailee Steinfeld as Charlie; the main character who discovers Bumblebee. She's been excellent dating back to when she burst on the scene in True Grit and more recently in the underwatched coming of age drama Edge of Seventeen. Hell, she even made me give the musical films Pitch Perfect a try which have become some guilty pleasures of mine (psst don't tell anyone.) Unfortunately, John Cena is here as the balls to the wall rediculous army guy who is hell bent on killing anything that moves, that as you can guess.... has a change of heart at the end. For the Psych fans out there, Cena had an excellent story arc as military brat brother with a wholesome vibe to him, so I can see the decision to cast him here. Unfortunately the stereotypical character on top of Cena's 'acting' is one major downside to this movie.

Going back to the 80's almost feels like cheating doesn't it? Stranger Things started a renaissance where it was cool to have your story take place in that forgotten time period. With a great soundtrack and a super satisfying Breakfast Club reference, Bumblebee delivers without going overboard with shoving your face into the 80's. The story has some heart, albeit a tad predictable. Charlie was a high diving star before her father, who both encouraged her diving and sparked her passion into automobiles and fixing them, tragically passed away. She distances herself between her mother and and brother and rather would spend time at the junk yard bartering for parts to fix her and her father's car that they've been working on. You can guess where her character arc goes and how a large body of water involving a heroic jump comes into play. You know what though - it doesn't matter. Bumblebee was fun and made me remember that once upon a time Transformers was headed in the right direction. YES, that movie with Shia LaBeouf was actually good, before you know, all the super big drawn out battles with mayhem and destruction took over the franchise. Give this a watch, I promise it's not bad.

6.25/10

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/bumblebee/
FreshyFlames
Rookie
And1: 1,044

Post#343 » by FreshyFlames » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:04 pm

If you're reading this.
You're a wasteyute
Raps in 6ix
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#344 » by Red Shoelace » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:08 am

Destination Wedding (2018) - 6.0/10
Spoiler:
Destination Wedding 2018 ★★★

Watched Aug 12, 2019

Destination Wedding reminded me a lot of a neurotic Woody Allen style character and the free flowing dialogue of the Before Trilogy. Was it as good as any of these? Hell no. Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder have great chemistry as two self loathing and pessimistic individuals. They meet on a plane ride to, as the title would imply a destination wedding. The dinner rehearsal, wedding ceremony and even reception are all events that the pair get to know one another better. They are the only people that matter as characters given dialogue and time in front of the camera. The big difference between the Before Trilogy is there was the ying and yang of opposing characters. Celine and her neurosis worked well because of Jesse's counterbalance whereas in Destination Wedding both Frank and Lindsay are over the top.

In my experience most romantic comedies hinge so much on the romance, that they forget about making us laugh. For as narcissistic and upon first glance unlikeable both main characters are, they sure had their moments to make me laugh. With a pretty short run time and the lack of a major second act conflict (ugh I hate those), time flew by watching this movie. The dialogue is quick and snappy which also has the added benefit of holding your attention (at least mine). I kind of liked this movie alright... don't judge me.

6.0/10

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/destination-wedding-2018/
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#345 » by Red Shoelace » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:15 am

Rosemary's Baby (1968) - 8.5/10
Spoiler:
Rosemary’s Baby 1968 ★★★★

Watched Aug 12, 2019

Paranoia. The world is out to get us, a sometimes all too familiar feeling that comes full blast in Rosemary's world. In what starts off as an idyllic drama of a happy couple starting a life together, gradually descends into a masterwork of horror. Mia Farrow gives a transformative performance over two hours, both physically and emotionally. I was absolutely shocked to find she was not even nominated that year. What makes Rosemary's Baby such an incredible film? The ability to craft tension and paranoia through its main character and directing by Roman Polanski. So many shots that have just as much visual storytelling as what the characters are saying in front of the camera. The movie is littered with clues that reward you over time.

More importantly for myself, I consider this a formative film into the horror genre. The past year or two I have mentioned on several occasions my unenthusiastic approach when watching them. The thing is, I am starting to discover there is a niche out there for me. It came from Ari Aster with his two feature length works; Hereditary and Midsommar. Even Julia Ducournau's french body horror film, which had a lot more beneath the blood soaked exterior. It's not hard to see the inspiration these films all took from Roman Polanski and his first English language debut Rosemary's Baby. Creating mystery and intrigue while also having a stellar cast are trademarks of all these films, and ones in which I consider very important. Many people watch horror films for the endorphin rush of being scared, placing yourself in that story being chased by the masked killer, or finding a way to kill the movies monster. I've never had that sort of endorphin rush or been able to truly be scared like those audiences (of which I'm jealous.) Then what AM I when watching more slow burn psychological horror like Rosemary's Baby - tense, anxious, inquisitive. I WANT to uncover the mystery, and need to understand the deeper meaning behind it all.

When Rosemary and actor husband Guy Woodhouse start spending a lot of time with their elder neighbors, some red flags going off. Maybe I've watched too many movies where I'm suspicious of everyone and everything but Rosemary's young naivete goes along with it for a while. The couple plan to start a family, three kids in fact so when she finally discovers she's pregnant, what little paranoia she had built up quickly dissipates. Does that paranoia go away for the viewer who witnesses the suspicious conception..... which is not far removed from our memory - hell no. Like most good horror movies, we start becoming concerned for the main character wanting to yell to her to watch out. She gets recommended an obstetrician, starts drinking a morning concoction by Mrs. Elderly neighbor. I leave the rest for you to discover upon watching, but as you can imagine her deterioration from happy and over the moon to in constant pain and suspicion begin happening, and rapidly.

Rosemary's Baby is really a masterful work in horror. It's the sort of film I regret not having watched all these years. There's hope for me yet with the genre and perhaps Ari Aster really has taken the mantle from Polanski. This is the sort of film that evokes such empathy with the main character, that it is bound to put you in the middle of the mystery. You'll want to put on your detective hat and examine every frame for clues and symbolism. Doing so will only enhance your appreciation for Polanski's directing and William Fraker's cinematography. The feeling of being trapped or imprisoned is palpable. An absolute must watch for any horror fan; scratch that - any movie fan.

8.5/10

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/rosemarys-baby/
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#346 » by Kabookalu » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:01 am

Read on Twitter
Read on Twitter
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#347 » by Red Shoelace » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:29 pm

TIFF lineup is stacked this year. Over 20 movies I'd put in tier 1 must-watch.

Shambles that I won't be going this year :cry:
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#348 » by Red Shoelace » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Trailer is out, HO MAN

Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#349 » by Red Shoelace » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:59 pm

Lineup is trickling out.

7 movies in my first tier must-watch ranked:

Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#350 » by Red Shoelace » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:44 pm

There's an HDRip of Parasite online already...

Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#351 » by Red Shoelace » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:18 am

The Last Black Man in San Francisco (2019) - 8.25/10
Spoiler:
The Last Black Man in San Francisco 2019 ★★★★

Watched Aug 14, 2019

What do I value so much in my movies? Music. Joe Talbot has made a spectacular feature film debut with The Last Black Man in San Francisco with my favourite musical score of the year, as of today. With a rich colour palette that makes you think this is a Tim Burton film in a fantasy land. That same fantasy land imagery which allows you to view main character Jimmy Fails quest to reclaim the house his grandfather built which now belongs to an upscale neighborhood and its new owners. The creative decisions behind the music, and the cinematography all enrich the movie and give a sense of optimism in what otherwise would be a dreary story. As the title would suggest, San Francisco is a city over the years that has gentrified and pushed out those who made up its community. This is an ever growing problem with urban sprawl not just limited to SF, that even us Canadians in the Greater Toronto Area can relate to. What ultimately makes this a special film aside from its cinematography, musical and direction are the two lead performances from best friends Jimmy Fails and Mont.

There are many ways that director Joe Talbot could have approached the making of this movie. Which is what makes his debut all the more impressive. A story with neo realism potential; focusing on the disenfranchised black men of a city who are all but being pushed out in favor of its new class of tech startup elite. Instead of a docu drama camera style with low colour and limited music, the opposite happens. The whole film is shot with a gifted photographers eye displaying both the city and the Victorian era architecture of the house the two are so determined to reclaim. With a whimsical and soulful musical score attached, with bright colours and two characters whose sense of optimism and hope in what others would consider a hopeless cause, translates across the screen. I'm not just talking dozens of shots of the iconic golden gate bridge and its notoriously hilly streets. The way Jimmy has a sense of fulfillment and pride in the little things which the camera puts in focus for us.

With as much glass half full there is within the story, there is also a fair share of conflict. Mont, who lives with his blind father (Danny Glover) as well as his best friend Jimmy is peculiar in his own right. He doesn't fit in 'among his people' and observes his world as an outsider, his only way to express himself fully is to mimic those around him in his self written and self starring plays. Both friends support one another in a wholesome manner and again is just one of those things that makes the story uplifting in what could have been the opposite. There are moments that are difficult, like when the corner boys discover Jimmy is now living back in his grandfathers house. Instead of being happy for your fellow human (in this case another black man), they try and tear him down. Everything is just so poignant and representative of much bigger issues. The musical score and choice songs were such incredible work by ALSO first time composer Emile Mosseri - I couldn't believe my eyes when I learned this afterwards. One of those films that moved me, and great works of arts objective is to do just that.

8.25/10

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/the-last-black-man-in-san-francisco/
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#352 » by Red Shoelace » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:25 am

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019) - 7.25/10
Spoiler:
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 2019 ★★★½

Watched Aug 14, 2019

Quentin Tarantino loves the movies almost as much as he does making them. In many ways he's the gateway to becoming a cinephile. To us novices of cinema, he makes movies curating the best from a selection of thousands encompassing his central idea. Oh, you really like that scene X? - well didn't you know that comes from movie x. I never minded Tarantino for this, because if anything he got me even more interested in the movies. Pointing out all his great musical scores come from his love of Ennio Morricone and the spaghetti westerns as an example. With Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, he gets to make a movie about an actor Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio) who makes movies. There are film references a bundle in this era drama that leads to all characters paths intersecting.

It's no secret my love for Tarantino films, he's up there with Paul Thomas Anderson as my favourite filmmaker. When I say this movie was disappointing, it comes with that stipulation. A disappointing Tarantino film is a hell of a lot better than just about anything else because his filmography I hold in such high esteem. My issue boils down to the story surpassing plausibility and dragging too much in order to reach its destination. The finale is great, I laughed, I saw blood, I watched what most violent films from this directors arsenal usually leads up to, but I could not forgive the extra 45 minutes of extra story to get there. There's still a lot of good here, like how DiCaprio is a virtual lock for the acting nomination this year. Not only did he play an aging actor (any time making a film or portraying another actor is involved the Academy get all hot and bothered), but he did so brilliantly. In contrast to Brad Pitts one note stoic tough guy; stunt man to DiCaprio's character.

Lately I've enjoyed how verbose Tarantino films have gotten. In a way he provides a platform to showoff his screenwriting but also to showcase his stars. With Brad Pitts character Cliff Booth who takes a lot of screen time but isn't blessed with a silver tongue like many of Tarantino's past characters. This makes his scenes lackluster and feel like filler in comparison to the real star of the show, both literally and figuratively; Leonardo DiCaprio's aging TV & Movie star Rick Dalton. The best scenes of the film, save for the finale all involve Dalton while on set. Which leads me to another point, the story gets muddled once we're watching a movie about the making of a movie showing that movie on the screen. There seemed to be a lack of focus which lead to the two plus hour run time really feel that long. I was ready to give up but the finale really delivered so I will be lenient. Hell this movie was good don't get me wrong but it just left that feeling of wanting more, because Tarantino has proven many times over he's capable of delivering it - just not in this case.

7.25/10

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood/
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#353 » by Red Shoelace » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:58 pm

Parasite [Korean] (2019) - 7.5/10
Spoiler:
Parasite 2019 ★★★½

Watched Aug 15, 2019

I'm going to review and rate this again when I see it in theatres.

7.5/10

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/parasite-2019/
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#354 » by Red Shoelace » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:04 pm

Dr Octagon
RealGM
And1: 54,612

Post#355 » by Dr Octagon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:42 pm

Nice to see you Red
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,819

Post#356 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:16 am

@3:46
''Us guys don't wear New Balance or Levis''

Damn so it's Drake's fault that Kawhi left...
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
kai_bouche
Sixth Man
And1: 10,166

Post#357 » by kai_bouche » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:32 pm

Red Shoelace wrote:TIFF lineup is stacked this year. Over 20 movies I'd put in tier 1 must-watch.

Shambles that I won't be going this year :cry:

What why aren’t you going ?
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,154

Post#358 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:31 pm

RS going **** in the wasteman board.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Post#359 » by lebron stopper » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:01 pm

Preview of what's to come... O____o o____O

Gfycat Video - Click to Play