Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

rapscity
Junior
And1: 281

Re: Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession 

Post#101 » by rapscity » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:15 am

Used to be a big fan of Telfair. Bad career followed by bad choices.
shanghaifanzi
Senior
And1: 796

Re: Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession 

Post#102 » by shanghaifanzi » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:38 am

just like people said: "you can take him out of hood but you can't take hood out of him"
Hroz
Pro Prospect
And1: 468

Post#103 » by Hroz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:51 am

Multiple chances
Multiple failures

In life and basketball.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#104 » by dorkestra » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:05 am

Lots of bad takes on morality in this thread. The people shaming the guy when they are not educated about his life and he's not here to defend himself.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
reflex35
Rookie
And1: 672

Post#105 » by reflex35 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:40 am

3.5 years in prison for gun possession?
Seems a bit over the line and too much.
Especially when he has a permit in another state and it's not an illegal gun or a gun from the black market.

Might be the case that he has a history of repeating this illegal activity but even with that in mind this is a bit crazy.
For robbery's and rapes criminals don't get as much.
Strange sense of JUSTICE some courts have in States...
This will do no good neither for him or the society. Law should not penalise it should "correct the behaviour".

So how he will be corrected if he spends 3.5 years in prison gets into prison gangs to survive and after that will be in another world to do more crimes due to not having any chance.

Stupid. Should have gotten minimum time or lot of community work hours or/and huge fines.
reflex35
Rookie

Post#106 » by reflex35 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:48 am

reflex35 wrote:3.5 years in prison for gun possession?
Especially when he has a permit in another state and it's not an illegal gun or a gun from the black market.

Might be the case that he has a history of repeating this illegal activity but even with that in mind this is a bit crazy.
This will do no good neither for him or the society. Law should not penalise it should "correct the behaviour".

So how he will be corrected if he spends 3.5 years in prison gets into prison gangs to survive and after that will be in another world to do more crimes due to not having any chance.

Stupid. Should have gotten minimum time or lot of community work hours or/and huge fines.

Just read the full thread and he had a fully loaded machine gun, 3 hand guns and a bullet proof vest...
I change my mind - it does not seem normal. What for does he need all of this?
I thought that it was just a handgun with a few rounds but this seems like he was going to a war.
No normal person needs that unless you have huge problems with criminal world or you're in that world.
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 457

Post#107 » by Swift21 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:53 am

BillTheGOAT wrote:Way too harsh IMO.

Agreed.
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#108 » by SFrush » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:09 am

nbhadja wrote:This is an outrageous sentence. 3.5 years for that? The sad part is that he could have abused a child and probably would have received a lesser sentence than this.

Tyreek Hill broke his kid's arm and didn't receive any time.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,554

Post#109 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 am

reflex35 wrote:

Just read the full thread and he had a fully loaded machine gun, 3 hand guns and a bullet proof vest...
I thought that it was just a handgun with a few rounds but this seems like he was going to a war.
No normal person needs that unless you have huge problems with criminal world or you're in that world.

Define "machine gun" for me.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
reflex35
Rookie

Post#110 » by reflex35 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:42 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
reflex35 wrote:

Google it - "Definition of machine gun"
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,554

Post#111 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:47 am

reflex35 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
reflex35 wrote:

Thanks for proving my point that this word is tossed around with emotion, yet almost never an accurate term in discussion. A machine gun is a FULLY automatic rifle normally fed by ammunition belt. Perfect example being a mini gun shooting 7.62mm from the side of a helicopter. He didn't have one. Have you seen what a fully automatic gun looks like? There is a huge difference in say 6,000 rounds per minute in a machine gun and the demonized AR-15 which fires closer to 400-500 rounds a minute from a good shooter.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,859

Post#112 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:49 am

NY doing it the right way
I've come to the conclusion that most folks don't really care that you broke one of the rules... they just enjoy telling you that you broke it.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#113 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:53 am

Damn. Cuddy 'bout that life.
Haters beware
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
Sabas11
Senior
And1: 385

Post#114 » by Sabas11 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:56 am

JHTruth wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
I'm not necessarily a gun lover. I'm a history lover who understands why 2A exists. I've studied the major correlation between disarming citizens and unchecked government abuses of power and genocide. We are already seeing our intelligence agencies going rogue with zero accountability with personal vendettas. It's going to continue to be worse. The argument that the government is massively overpowered compared to civilizations is actually a great argument for WHY we need to keep American's armed. Also the same people making fun of this as "muskets" are the same one's screaming "Why do civilians need military machine guns!!?" when someone takes down 20 people and a couple cops. They may have the edge in firepower, but we have 500 million guns in circulation and a TON of people who know how to use them.

It's not that we would win an all out war with the government, but they sure as hell will tread much more lightly knowing that we can form militias than if we were completely defenseless. Again that idiots fallacious argument is exactly WHY we need to keep our firearms.

PS... if you understood war you'd know that no wars are won without foot soldiers. You can have the best air force on the planet, all the drones in the world, yet it will be won on the backs of the soldiers on the front lines. There would be MAJOR casualties to the US government. If they carpet bomb, they destroy their own cities, homes and family's. Drones are great for targeted strikes, but to handle the American militias who live in the same places as these politicians/government officials/LEO's is another matter. Also have to take into account that in this event of all out war, MANY LEO's and military members would side with the civilian militias. You would have an insane level of insubordination.

Amazing...its really amazing how people trying so desperately to argue around the issue.

I have a hot take:
Leave the USA a while and travel around the world. Then you maaay realize how outdated the 2A or any "argument" for it is. The 2A became absolut pointless decades ago. People defending it so hard because they dont wanna lose their beloved toys. Thats the only reason. And the rest of the world are anyway all suckers and the americans are doing it the right way. Because its not the guns. Its mental illness and video games and too many doors in school buildings etc etc

But hey, Sandy Hook made it pretty clear that nothing is going to change because half of the population dont want change no matter what. So let the bullets fly around to "protect freedom". Just a matter of time until the brains of more small kids are spilled on the floor. But please no lame ass "thoughts and prayers" for the next human tomato sauce festival in a school, mall, concert etc. Because thats just hypocritical when you keep choosing to go down this path, a path who gets worse every freaking month.

And please no arguing with stuff written up 200 years ago relating to the circumstances freaking 200 years ago. Just own it then and say its worth the tens of thousands of dead people every year. Because the guns are responsible for it. And nothing else

Lol the Brits gave up their guns and now get arrested for being mean on FB and kill each other with kitchen knives. Spare us the rest of the world gave up guns and are better than us nonsense. You pitiful leftists will never, ever, ever get my guns..

Yeah man, they took err jebs!
reflex35
Rookie

Post#115 » by reflex35 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:59 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
reflex35 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

Thanks for proving my point that this word is tossed around with emotion, yet almost never an accurate term in discussion. A machine gun is a FULLY automatic rifle normally fed by ammunition belt. Perfect example being a mini gun shooting 7.62mm from the side of a helicopter. He didn't have one. Have you seen what a fully automatic gun looks like? There is a huge difference in say 6,000 rounds per minute in a machine gun and the demonized AR-15 which fires closer to 400-500 rounds a minute from a good shooter.

I'm not tossing words around.
I am not a native speaker so therefore it's more difficult for me. It was not emotional nor did I want to describe something inaccurately.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,687

Post#116 » by durden_tyler » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:17 am

He was a gunner, an inefficient one, during his NBA prime. Apt i guess.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#117 » by packforfreedom » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am

I call institutional racism.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#118 » by Dupp » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 am

Lol what a strange country
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#119 » by abark » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:32 am

jswede wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:
jswede wrote:
Nope. And show me that study, not just the “synopsis”. You can’t. The give-away is they call it “structural racism”. That’s an unprovable conclusion. For example, they called Baltimore that, when everyone - from the mayor to the chief of police to the arresting and charged officers - were black.

This is fitting data to prove a conclusion already reached. Notice that “armed suspects” were an exception?

This article includes links to studies that control for rates of crime and circumstances during police killings if you click on them or search for them.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/identities/2016/8/13/17938186/police-shootings-killings-racism-racial-disparities

I am just doing quick Google searches here and not a formal literature review but the evidence is right at our fingertips. There’s a lot out there, and I acknowledge there is some inconsistency, which always happens in social science, but the preponderance of evidence shows clear bias.

BTW black cops can and often do support racist policies and institutions against other black folks within the police force. That doesn’t mean that structural racism doesn’t exist.

It doesn’t mean it exists either. It’s unprovable. But yea, the idea that black people are capable of racism against blacks is a nice out. Lol

Your vox link makes ZERO adjustment for crime rates of races.

No, it's actually been shown to be a proven phenomenon. The cultural bias against black people in America is so pervasive that it has an impact on how EVERY group subconciously views black people.

Here is a summary from a Harvard based study...

Do Black participants show a preference for Black over White on the race attitude IAT?

Answer: Although the majority of White respondents show a preference for White over Black, the responses from Black respondents are more varied. Although some Black participants show liking for White over Black, others show no preference, and yet others show a preference for Black over White. Data collected from this website consistently reveal approximately even numbers of Black respondents showing a pro-White bias as show a pro-Black bias. Part of this might be understood as Black respondents experiencing the similar negative associations about their group from experience in their cultural environments, and also experiencing competing positive associations about their group based on their own group membership and that of close relations. For more information see Nosek, Banaji, & Greenwald, 2002.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/background/faqs.html#faq19

A conflict emerges: When blacks are asked about their predilections, they express a solid preference for their group over whites, but, in general, performance on the IAT suggests they subconsciously hold a slight preference for whites over blacks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/384028/
rasta_marley
Starter
And1: 509

Post#120 » by rasta_marley » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:33 am

It does seem a little harsh, though if this was the 2nd time in nyc, plus this Boston incident. It might have looked like he wasnt learning his lesson. Also what was he doing parked illegally with lights off with a submachine gun and a vest?
It does look bad and pretty sketchy. Dude really **** up.

I dont know I'd like more info on this one.
Heej wrote:And tbh I'm not entirely convinced MJ wasn't just the 90s version of KD.

:lol:

Return to The General Board