ImageImageImageImageImage

[The Athletic] - Judging Scott Perry's Draft Record

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Re: [The Athletic] - Judging Scott Perry's Draft Record 

Post#21 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:23 am

Clyde_Style wrote:He has drafted four players as a GM. That's it. Whatever

Yeah this article kinda dumb, sorry...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,443

Post#22 » by cgmw » Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:17 pm

Perry cutting his teeth w/Darko probably didn’t help his feelings toward Porzingis.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,145

Post#23 » by Fat Kat » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:34 pm

Moke Hamilton is a less knowledgeable Tommy D

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,259
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#24 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:39 pm

Fat Kat wrote:Moke Hamilton is a less knowledgeable Tommy D

Read on Twitter

What he should have tweeted was missing out on Okafor was a start towards balancing out missing out on Curry. Having drafted Okafor would have really just been so much worse. How could he write that?

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,199

Post#25 » by DOT » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:43 pm

BKlutch wrote:

Read on Twitter

What he should have tweeted was missing out on Okafor was a start towards balancing out missing out on Curry. Having drafted Okafor would have really just been so much worse. How could he write that?

Check the date

It's actually unintentionally a good point. Had we been one spot higher in 2015, we'd have been likely in a worse situation right now. But if we'd been one slot higher in 2009, we'd have been able to draft an MVP

Kind of goes towards what I always say, getting a higher pick just means you have more options, doesn't necessarily mean you're guaranteed to get the better player. Always better to be picking higher, but doesn't mean much if your scouting and developing ain't up to snuff
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#26 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:45 pm

K-DOT wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

Read on Twitter

Check the date

It's actually unintentionally a good point. Had we been one spot higher in 2015, we'd have been likely in a worse situation right now. But if we'd been one slot higher in 2009, we'd have been able to draft an MVP

Kind of goes towards what I always say, getting a higher pick just means you have more options, doesn't necessarily mean you're guaranteed to get the better player. Always better to be picking higher, but doesn't mean much if your scouting and developing ain't up to snuff

OK - I missed the date. What you said is absolutely correct.

Still, sorry about Curry, sorry not sorry about Okafor.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,145

Post#27 » by Fat Kat » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:13 pm

BKlutch wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
BKlutch wrote:What he should have tweeted was missing out on Okafor was a start towards balancing out missing out on Curry. Having drafted Okafor would have really just been so much worse. How could he write that?

Check the date

OK - I missed the date. What you said is absolutely correct.

Still, sorry about Curry, sorry not sorry about Okafor.

Just thumbing through his resume as he’s looking at Perry’s. It’s important for people to know who they’re listening to. There’s plenty more foolishness. Like I said, Tommy Dee brings more to the game.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#28 » by nedleeds » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:15 pm

nyknicks8016 wrote:
JXL wrote:Perry can draft the next Jordan, Olajuwon and Pippen on this team and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. Until Dolan is gone, no legit superstar is coming to MSG.

this literally makes no sense, if they draft superstars then they would have superstars coming to msg. So yes drafting well does make a difference.

Yeah nobody gives a **** about Dolan. They care about money, winning and money. The Knicks have just not had any lottery luck at all, it's been putrid. This year was the cherry on the turd sundae. We end up with R.J. Barrett after cashing in the worst record in the league, the result was absolutely awful. Zion would have completely pivoted the conversation. Just like if we'd gotten #3 last year Luka would have completely turned the franchise around in terms of perception, KP wouldn't have demanded a trade things would be a total 180. Instead we got the youngest player in the draft who looked lost most of the year.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,727

Post#29 » by spree8 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:22 am

Yo if you’re the assistant to the head guy in charge... you’re kinda to blame too if they make an epically horrible choice like Dumars did with Darko... I mean come on, how the hell u don’t talk someone out of that is beyond me... not very good at your job of basically advising the president.

You don’t get praise for drafting Durant either... not when he fell in their laps with it being a 2 player draft and Oden being taken by Portland. If RJ is a superstar, I’m not giving Perry much credit as he fell in our laps too. Perry’s iight, but that record is mad suspect... just like Knox over Mikal was, but the jury’s still out.
DLTGWH
Sixth Man
And1: 670

Post#30 » by DLTGWH » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:37 pm

shtolky wrote:Perry's draft record is RJ, Knox, Robinson, Iggy.

You can't put failures (Hezonja, Payton, etc.) up there with successes (Durant, Middleton, Oladipo, Fox, Drummond) because he was only the assistant GM of those teams and it's silly to say that's part of his draft record. If we're going to say that, then his fingerprints are all over the 2004 title team with Detroit, which is again, a bit silly to say since Dumars was the GM.

Trier a solid pick too
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#31 » by BKlutch » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:36 am

DLTGWH wrote:

You can't put failures (Hezonja, Payton, etc.) up there with successes (Durant, Middleton, Oladipo, Fox, Drummond) because he was only the assistant GM of those teams and it's silly to say that's part of his draft record. If we're going to say that, then his fingerprints are all over the 2004 title team with Detroit, which is again, a bit silly to say since Dumars was the GM.

Trier a solid pick too

You can't say all the people who quit the Adimistration as Cabinet Members (like assistant coaches) to the President get all the credit or the blame for what the Commander in Chief does. Sometimes, guys may disagree with the boss, but once the boss has decided, they just don't talk about it any more. I'm happy with the picks Perry has made for the slots we have had,

MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#32 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:16 am

DLTGWH wrote:

Trier a solid pick too

He was signed undrafted so not sure if they are counting those in that piece?
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#33 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 am

spree8 wrote:Yo if you’re the assistant to the head guy in charge... you’re kinda to blame too if they make an epically horrible choice like Dumars did with Darko... I mean come on, how the hell u don’t talk someone out of that is beyond me... not very good at your job of basically advising the president.

You don’t get praise for drafting Durant either... not when he fell in their laps with it being a 2 player draft and Oden being taken by Portland. If RJ is a superstar, I’m not giving Perry much credit as he fell in our laps too. Perry’s iight, but that record is mad suspect... just like Knox over Mikal was, but the jury’s still out.

Hmm I feel that’s a bit extreme. Nobody looks at assistant gm resumes that closely unless they are now in lead front office roles with the Knicks.

Also Mikal hasn’t looked all that great. He had a solid rookie year but it’s pretty much universally accepted he doesn’t have a big ceiling. So no I don’t agree that Knox over Mikal was “mad suspect.”
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
spree8
RealGM

Post#34 » by spree8 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:30 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:
spree8 wrote:Yo if you’re the assistant to the head guy in charge... you’re kinda to blame too if they make an epically horrible choice like Dumars did with Darko... I mean come on, how the hell u don’t talk someone out of that is beyond me... not very good at your job of basically advising the president.

Hmm I feel that’s a bit extreme. Nobody looks at assistant gm resumes that closely unless they are now in lead front office roles with the Knicks.

Also Mikal hasn’t looked all that great. He had a solid rookie year but it’s pretty much universally accepted he doesn’t have a big ceiling. So no I don’t agree that Knox over Mikal was “mad suspect.”

“Nobody looks at assistant Gm’s resume’s that closely unless they’re with the Knicks”? Where did you get that fact from? Dumars still gets killed for that til this day... Perry was his right hand... he should be too.

Mikal looked better than Knox has... kid doesn’t play defense, is unaggressive in every facet of the game, and doesn’t appear to have much bball IQ... so yea, it was “mad suspect”... Mikal’s ceiling is not universally accepted to be low... that’s just from lazy people who write him off because of his age... he was the best player on a college championship team. Most people here wanted him and thought it was a lock Perry would pick him because it was the obvious choice.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#35 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:00 pm

spree8 wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:

“Nobody looks at assistant Gm’s resume’s that closely unless they’re with the Knicks”? Where did you get that fact from? Dumars still gets killed for that til this day... Perry was his right hand... he should be too.

Mikal looked better than Knox has... kid doesn’t play defense, is unaggressive in every facet of the game, and doesn’t appear to have much bball IQ... so yea, it was “mad suspect”... Mikal’s ceiling is not universally accepted to be low... that’s just from lazy people who write him off because of his age... he was the best player on a college championship team. Most people here wanted him and thought it was a lock Perry would pick him because it was the obvious choice.

Well...while I respect most people here they aren’t professionals. Most people here also thought Jahlil Okafor was a can’t miss pick.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
spree8
RealGM

Post#36 » by spree8 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:12 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
spree8 wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:

Well...while I respect most people here they aren’t professionals. Most people here also thought Jahlil Okafor was a can’t miss pick.

Ehh professionals also draft guys like Anthony Bennett #1 overall, sooo
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,199

Post#37 » by DOT » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:51 pm

Where are people getting "Perry was Dumars' right hand" from?

I haven't seen anything saying he was more than just a member of the front office, which could mean literally anything. It would say if he were assistant gm, no?

So we have no idea how much input he had on Darko or if he even supported it in the first place.

If we knew he wanted Darko, that'd be one thing, but we don't. And saying he should have talked Dumars out of it, would you blame anyone in the FO who wanted Mitchell in 2018 for not convincing Phil to take him over Frank? No, so why should we blame Perry for someone else making a mistake that was out of his control?

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#38 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:11 pm

The darko pick is pretty bad though. Not that I agree with Perry getting part of the blame for that. I don’t. But Melo was the more known player and he practically fell into the laps of a championship contending team. I think the not drafting Melo is a classic example of getting too cute with the draft. Darko was a beast but no one really knew about his personality and all the other stuff.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 28,473

Post#39 » by HerSports85 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:44 pm

Lol please stop with the Perry is somehow responsible for Darko. I live here in Detroit, covered the pistons and spoke to Dumars numerous of times.

His biggest regret is not listening to his team and drafting Darko instead of Melo. He puts this decision solely on his shoulders. There was no talking him out of it. These are facts .. not rumors or opinions.

This is the last time (2014) I had the opportunity to talk to Dumars and his Son in person.

BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#40 » by nedleeds » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:16 pm

Melo and Larry Brown would have surely worked out great.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.

Return to New York Knicks