Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

TJ_Ford_11
Rookie
And1: 907

Re: Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession 

Post#121 » by TJ_Ford_11 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:09 am

Bill Bradley wrote:Didn’t he know that only white civilians in red states are allowed to be heavily armed?

Well, this is quite the racist statement.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Re: Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession 

Post#122 » by Bill Bradley » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:41 am

abark wrote:
jswede wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:
This article includes links to studies that control for rates of crime and circumstances during police killings if you click on them or search for them.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/identities/2016/8/13/17938186/police-shootings-killings-racism-racial-disparities

I am just doing quick Google searches here and not a formal literature review but the evidence is right at our fingertips. There’s a lot out there, and I acknowledge there is some inconsistency, which always happens in social science, but the preponderance of evidence shows clear bias.

BTW black cops can and often do support racist policies and institutions against other black folks within the police force. That doesn’t mean that structural racism doesn’t exist.

It doesn’t mean it exists either. It’s unprovable. But yea, the idea that black people are capable of racism against blacks is a nice out. Lol

Your vox link makes ZERO adjustment for crime rates of races.

No, it's actually been shown to be a proven phenomenon. The cultural bias against black people in America is so pervasive that it has an impact on how EVERY group subconciously views black people.

Here is a summary from a Harvard based study...

Do Black participants show a preference for Black over White on the race attitude IAT?

Answer: Although the majority of White respondents show a preference for White over Black, the responses from Black respondents are more varied. Although some Black participants show liking for White over Black, others show no preference, and yet others show a preference for Black over White. Data collected from this website consistently reveal approximately even numbers of Black respondents showing a pro-White bias as show a pro-Black bias. Part of this might be understood as Black respondents experiencing the similar negative associations about their group from experience in their cultural environments, and also experiencing competing positive associations about their group based on their own group membership and that of close relations. For more information see Nosek, Banaji, & Greenwald, 2002.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/background/faqs.html#faq19

A conflict emerges: When blacks are asked about their predilections, they express a solid preference for their group over whites, but, in general, performance on the IAT suggests they subconsciously hold a slight preference for whites over blacks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/384028/

Yep and we see this when black cops are especially tough on black folks as a way of proving themselves to their colleagues.
Vincent 666
Lead Assistant
And1: 44

Post#123 » by Vincent 666 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:48 am

The 2nd amendment doesnt exist to "fight government tyranny". Its exists to prevent society from ever getting to that point.
foreigngrammar
Pro Prospect
And1: 470

Post#124 » by foreigngrammar » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:49 am

Oh... gun topic being discussed in america... that's gonna be fun

If I am a state and I want a SANE!! gun-control (if that's possible) I'd concivt anybody who's not following. What's harsh about it?
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#125 » by abark » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:45 pm

TJ_Ford_11 wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:Didn’t he know that only white civilians in red states are allowed to be heavily armed?

Well, this is quite the racist statement.

On the surface, yes it is. Until you realize that black individuals would get mowed down by the cops if they acted the same way many white people do regarding guns.

Can you imagine what would happen to a black man in Alabama or Arkansas if they open carried just like many of the white folk.

On paper, the laws treat the gun rights of black and white people equally. But the cops and judicial system keep that from actually being the reality.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#126 » by JHTruth » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Vincent 666 wrote:The 2nd amendment doesnt exist to "fight government tyranny". Its exists to prevent society from ever getting to that point.

Americans buy over 2 million guns EVERY MONTH to add to the over 400mm already in circulation. The government would never ever attempt a takeover in the country, which is exactly the point. Free citizens are armed, ready to defend their rights and liberty. If you choose to be a serf to your government masters, well that's your business..
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#127 » by queridiculo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:57 pm

Drygon wrote:It's hard to believe that Telfair actually was viewed as the next big thing alongside with LeBron 17 years ago :lol:

At least they were half right.

Talent and credentials can get you in the door, neither are a substitute for hard work and a single minded focus at being the best you can be.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,358

Post#128 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:34 pm

I think the problem with Sebastian Telfair the NBA player is that he was too much of a gunner. And he was never fully vested in the team culture. Even though he was fully armed as a player, he'd shoot from the hip too much instead of carefully assessing the situation on the court. Now granted, sometimes he'd hit a few while firing away, but it wasn't enough (39% fg).

Sometimes, when you're looking down the barrel, you need to trust your floor general, whether it's a traditional PG like the Baby-Faced Assassin Isiah Thomas, a hot shooter like the Rifleman Chuck Person or The Hitman Mo Williams, an all-around producer like AK47 or a ball handling wizard like Pistol Pete Maravich. Simply put, teams needed a higher caliber of point guard, which left Telfair on the sidelines. To be fair, he had nobody to blame though, most of his on-court problems were him simply shooting himself in the foot time and again.
Kordic27
Analyst
And1: 3,280

Post#129 » by Kordic27 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:11 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:Idiotically harsh sentence. I personally believe banning concealed carry is unconstitutional PERIOD, registered or not. He should of been fined, not sentenced to 3.5 years. He had a loaded gun on the car seat, which is no doubt a crime... but people do this regularly without jail time. He didn't try to rob or harm anyone. Nothing happened. Unfortunately the emotional events recently are fueling politicians thirst to disarm the population and severely restrict guns. My guess is the extreme liberal policies seek to make examples out of people in places like NY and CA.

PS... the buzz word "Semi automatic firearm" is dumb as ****. It's similar to "assault rifle". It's broad, non specific and meant to trigger emotion with little substance. Pretty much every gun produced is "semi automatic". Even "assault rifles" which are treated as fully automatic "machine guns" are actually semi automatics. You pull the trigger each shot. "Why do civilians need similar guns to the military!!!?"... um well no ****. The whole premise of 2A is for America's citizens to be able to prevent tyranny from it's own government and be able to hold it in check in essence. If law enforcement/military severely outguns it's citizens, there are no longer checks and balances (we are already to that point in some ways).

Not a baiting question, but you seem a bit more thoughtful than most 2nd amendment pro gun people I talk to - what’s the pro gun thinking with regard to the fact that other countries with similar social norms (video games, music, social media etc) but harsher gun control, have unbelievably lower murder rates, and specifically gun crime and gun related deaths?
I ask because it does seem like the talking heads always blame something other than the guns, when it seems like the main difference between the USA and similar countries is the guns...
Trusted Ujiri Watcher
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,731

Post#130 » by RoyceDa59 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:19 pm

Just leave the guns at home. Is it that hard to understand?

What's he doing with a machine gun anyways?
Go Raps!!
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#131 » by zzaj » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:51 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
reflex35 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Define "machine gun" for me.

Google it - "Definition of machine gun"

Thanks for proving my point that this word is tossed around with emotion, yet almost never an accurate term in discussion. A machine gun is a FULLY automatic rifle normally fed by ammunition belt. Perfect example being a mini gun shooting 7.62mm from the side of a helicopter. He didn't have one. Have you seen what a fully automatic gun looks like? There is a huge difference in say 6,000 rounds per minute in a machine gun and the demonized AR-15 which fires closer to 400-500 rounds a minute from a good shooter.

He had a "submachine gun", which I'm guessing you know is a sub category of "machine gun" that is magazine fed smaller ammunition...a fully automatic firearm.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Post#132 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:05 pm

Kordic27 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:Idiotically harsh sentence. I personally believe banning concealed carry is unconstitutional PERIOD, registered or not. He should of been fined, not sentenced to 3.5 years. He had a loaded gun on the car seat, which is no doubt a crime... but people do this regularly without jail time. He didn't try to rob or harm anyone. Nothing happened. Unfortunately the emotional events recently are fueling politicians thirst to disarm the population and severely restrict guns. My guess is the extreme liberal policies seek to make examples out of people in places like NY and CA.

PS... the buzz word "Semi automatic firearm" is dumb as ****. It's similar to "assault rifle". It's broad, non specific and meant to trigger emotion with little substance. Pretty much every gun produced is "semi automatic". Even "assault rifles" which are treated as fully automatic "machine guns" are actually semi automatics. You pull the trigger each shot. "Why do civilians need similar guns to the military!!!?"... um well no ****. The whole premise of 2A is for America's citizens to be able to prevent tyranny from it's own government and be able to hold it in check in essence. If law enforcement/military severely outguns it's citizens, there are no longer checks and balances (we are already to that point in some ways).

Not a baiting question, but you seem a bit more thoughtful than most 2nd amendment pro gun people I talk to - what’s the pro gun thinking with regard to the fact that other countries with similar social norms (video games, music, social media etc) but harsher gun control, have unbelievably lower murder rates, and specifically gun crime and gun related deaths?
I ask because it does seem like the talking heads always blame something other than the guns, when it seems like the main difference between the USA and similar countries is the guns...

I am not denying that having so many guns in circulation isn't a huge factor for gun death. It obviously is. The problem is now that we have probably 400 million guns in circulation and 2A protects it heavily, we need to come up with realistic solutions. Disarming or banning won't work at all because murderers will still have access illegally (the same way they do to drugs and pretty much anything else "black market"). It also punishes responsible gun owners more than criminals. If we KNOW 400+ million guns are circulating, in many cases in bad people's hands.. we can't take away the means to legally defend themselves for the 90% of law abiding, good gun owners or more. On top of that... say we restrict it to pistols only because "nobody needs a rifle anyway besides for hunting" how do you defend yourself against psychopaths who won't abide by that limitation?

Murderers and psychopaths obviously don't abide by laws to begin with. As for an actual solution, I don't think we have a good one yet. I'm all for better background checks, but it ALWAYS becomes a slippery slope when you give the government oversight like that. Look at the Patriot act and the can of worms it's opened on the USA surveilling it's own citizens to an extreme level under the guise of "security and safety". Overall the best I can think of is more good people with firearms combined with more thorough background checks. I am concerned with the overall efficiency of background checks though. Many of these mass shooters for example have red flags, but you can't charge someone for fantasizing about shooting people really. How do we enforce it? What disqualifies someone from purchasing a gun? History of mental illness? Any violent record (already banned from guns in many places with this)?

This is a lot like universal/government healthcare for all. MORALLY and human rights wise I'm 100% for it. I just haven't seen a well thought out policy on how we will pay for it without it becoming exorbitant in price.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,588

Post#133 » by Nate505 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:08 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I think the problem with Sebastian Telfair the NBA player is that he was too much of a gunner. And he was never fully vested in the team culture. Even though he was fully armed as a player, he'd shoot from the hip too much instead of carefully assessing the situation on the court. Now granted, sometimes he'd hit a few while firing away, but it wasn't enough (39% fg).

Sometimes, when you're looking down the barrel, you need to trust your floor general, whether it's a traditional PG like the Baby-Faced Assassin Isiah Thomas, a hot shooter like the Rifleman Chuck Person or The Hitman Mo Williams, an all-around producer like AK47 or a ball handling wizard like Pistol Pete Maravich. Simply put, teams needed a higher caliber of point guard, which left Telfair on the sidelines. To be fair, he had nobody to blame though, most of his on-court problems were him simply shooting himself in the foot time and again.

How long was this locked and loaded
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#134 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:09 pm

zzaj wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
reflex35 wrote:
Google it - "Definition of machine gun"

Thanks for proving my point that this word is tossed around with emotion, yet almost never an accurate term in discussion. A machine gun is a FULLY automatic rifle normally fed by ammunition belt. Perfect example being a mini gun shooting 7.62mm from the side of a helicopter. He didn't have one. Have you seen what a fully automatic gun looks like? There is a huge difference in say 6,000 rounds per minute in a machine gun and the demonized AR-15 which fires closer to 400-500 rounds a minute from a good shooter.

He had a "submachine gun", which I'm guessing you know is a sub category of "machine gun" that is magazine fed smaller ammunition...a fully automatic firearm.

Sub=under, beneath, below as a prefix. A sub machine gun is ineffective for accuracy, range, armor piercing and shoots pistol caliber rounds. So this is more of a gray area. It's fully automatic, but on MUCH smaller cartridges of pistol ammo. In the initial reports it didn't specify SMG. I agree that an SMG is more of a "why the hell would you be carrying a loaded one on a car backseat without intent to go to war" basically.

Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,456

Post#135 » by Swish1906 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:25 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

This statement is so incredible ignorant, wow. Few days ago it took a guy with a "demonized" AR-15 freaking 32 seconds to kill 9 people and hit another 14 people with bullets. So imagine the bodycount if it was five minutes instead of 32 seconds.

And you are really trying to downplay this with some bull argumenting about machine guns, fully/semi automatic rifles blabla ajd how they are not that bad in comparison to real machine guns. And the AR-15 is just demonized and its JUST 400-500 rounds per minute. Well, was enough rounds per minutes in Las Vegas too. The infamous MG-42 (remember the scenes inSaving Private Ryan?) shot 1000-1200 rounds per minute, so dont try to downplay a war weapon "just" shooting 400-500 rounds.

Disgusting.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,831

Post#136 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:32 pm

JHTruth wrote:
Vincent 666 wrote:The 2nd amendment doesnt exist to "fight government tyranny". Its exists to prevent society from ever getting to that point.

Americans buy over 2 million guns EVERY MONTH to add to the over 400mm already in circulation. The government would never ever attempt a takeover in the country, which is exactly the point. Free citizens are armed, ready to defend their rights and liberty. If you choose to be a serf to your government masters, well that's your business..

If the US Military ever went rogue and turned on the populace at the behest of the government it doesn't matter how many guns are in circulations, the American populace would be toast.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,831

Post#137 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:35 pm

What the **** was this dude carrying, an FN P90???
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
TheDiesel36
Senior
And1: 546

Post#138 » by TheDiesel36 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Geez, am I on a political or basketball forum today.. ?
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,114

Post#139 » by Edrees » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:43 pm

Drygon wrote:It's hard to believe that Telfair actually was viewed as the next big thing alongside with LeBron 17 years ago :lol:

At least they were half right.

Just goes to show those young prodigy's can be the next MVP or the next bust, and it's very hard to tell.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#140 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:47 pm

Swish1906 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

This statement is so incredible ignorant, wow. Few days ago it took a guy with a "demonized" AR-15 freaking 32 seconds to kill 9 people and hit another 14 people with bullets. So imagine the bodycount if it was five minutes instead of 32 seconds.

And you are really trying to downplay this with some bull argumenting about machine guns, fully/semi automatic rifles blabla ajd how they are not that bad in comparison to real machine guns. And the AR-15 is just demonized and its JUST 400-500 rounds per minute. Well, was enough rounds per minutes in Las Vegas too.

Disgusting.

No need to strawman. I'm arguing that using the word "machine gun" to describe semi automatics is woefully ignorant. It's like politicians who interchange illegal immigrant with legal immigrant. They are NOT the same thing in the slightest. It doesn't mean an AR-15 cannot wreak havoc. As for Vegas, not even remotely the same. The AR-15 used in Vegas had a bump stock and other mods for increased firing rate and capacity. Not to mention he was shooting for over 10 minutes and exposed Vegas' totally inept law enforcement response. The security guard was shot 6 whole minutes before he even started the rampage on the people in the concert. How did law enforcement not get to him at that point? The police didn't even show up to Paddock's room until he stopped his rampage and had committed suicide.

Again, none of which offers any sort of logical solution. All this kind of stuff is... is emotional reaction and cries for change, without any path to get here. It's no different than the media trotting out "women and children" constantly. It may as well be considered marketing TBH. Let's come up with some logical solutions my man.

Return to The General Board