ImageImageImageImageImage

[The Athletic] - Judging Scott Perry's Draft Record

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,286

Re: [The Athletic] - Judging Scott Perry's Draft Record 

Post#41 » by Zenzibar » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:22 pm

nedleeds wrote:Melo and Larry Brown would have surely worked out great.

Actually, that was an uber veteran team that Melo would have had to conformed to. He would have been a more complete player and perhaps in my opinion, still contributing to a team.
Stop All Genocides
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#42 » by boomann21 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:25 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:The darko pick is pretty bad though. Not that I agree with Perry getting part of the blame for that. I don’t. But Melo was the more known player and he practically fell into the laps of a championship contending team. I think the not drafting Melo is a classic example of getting too cute with the draft. Darko was a beast but no one really knew about his personality and all the other stuff.

Joe Dumars is to blame for that catastrophic pick. He was driving the bus, Perry just happened to be on the bus with him. I recall quite clearly just because I'm from Detroit that Joe Dumars was the high on Darko for his ability to work out and look good doing it.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,867

Post#43 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:26 pm

Zenzibar wrote:

Actually, that was an uber veteran team that Melo would have had to conformed to. He would have been a more complete player and perhaps in my opinion, still contributing to a team.

Yes, that team would have been the best thing to have happened to Melo. And he'd be a champion too.
boomann21
RealGM

Post#44 » by boomann21 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:28 pm

spree8 wrote:Yo if you’re the assistant to the head guy in charge... you’re kinda to blame too if they make an epically horrible choice like Dumars did with Darko... I mean come on, how the hell u don’t talk someone out of that is beyond me... not very good at your job of basically advising the president.

You don’t get praise for drafting Durant either... not when he fell in their laps with it being a 2 player draft and Oden being taken by Portland. If RJ is a superstar, I’m not giving Perry much credit as he fell in our laps too. Perry’s iight, but that record is mad suspect... just like Knox over Mikal was, but the jury’s still out.

Who is this Mikal you speak of? Is he on the all Rookie team?
boomann21
RealGM

Post#45 » by boomann21 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:30 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

Yes, that team would have been the best thing to have happened to Melo. And he'd be a champion too.

Yep if Melo would of went to the Pistons like he was supposed to then his career would of been much better. Rasheed, Billups, Rip, and Ben Wallace would of matured him early on and gave him plenty of time to grow into the player he should of been. Instead he teamed up with Allen Iverson to see who could jack the most shots in 48 minutes.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,727

Post#46 » by spree8 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:39 pm

boomann21 wrote:
spree8 wrote:Yo if you’re the assistant to the head guy in charge... you’re kinda to blame too if they make an epically horrible choice like Dumars did with Darko... I mean come on, how the hell u don’t talk someone out of that is beyond me... not very good at your job of basically advising the president.

You don’t get praise for drafting Durant either... not when he fell in their laps with it being a 2 player draft and Oden being taken by Portland. If RJ is a superstar, I’m not giving Perry much credit as he fell in our laps too. Perry’s iight, but that record is mad suspect... just like Knox over Mikal was, but the jury’s still out.

Who is this Mikal you speak of? Is he on the all Rookie team?

That’s the end all be all huh?

Return to New York Knicks