Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,104

Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#1 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:10 pm

I don't get the love for LA. An All-Star (IN THE WEST) last year. I just got out of a thread where he was called a defensive anchor.

To my eye he is a mid-range shooting albatross that doesn't play much defense. ESPN RPM has him ranked as the 20th center in the league. I agree with ESPN. I don't see why he was an All-Star last year, and I don't see why he's on the list of potential guys for the top 25 players in the league here on the general board.

Must be something to do with counting stats.

Anyway, Who do you think is the most over-rated player in the league? Less deserving of being an All-Star or on an all NBA team?

Who you got?
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,686

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#2 » by shtolky » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:20 pm

I would say off the top of my head that Tatum is the most overrated player in the league, simply due to how he's referred by some as the next big thing. He was very good in the playoffs his rookie season and that performance has seemingly given him this status that I don't think he's earned yet. He's a very good player, but I'm not sure he's more than that, certainly not a perennial all-star like some have said he will be.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,794

Post#3 » by Colbinii » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:21 pm

LaMarcus Aldridge is more overrated than Lemercus Aldridge and his other cousin Lomercus Aldridge.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#4 » by Colbinii » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:22 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I don't get the love for LA. An All-Star (IN THE WEST) last year. I just got out of a thread where he was called a defensive anchor.

To my eye he is a mid-range shooting albatross that doesn't play much defense. ESPN RPM has him ranked as the 20th center in the league. I agree with ESPN. I don't see why he was an All-Star last year, and I don't see why he's on the list of potential guys for the top 25 players in the league here on the general board.

Anyway, Who do you think is the most over-rated player in the league? Less deserving of being an All-Star or on an all NBA team?

Who you got?

It has nothing to do with counting stats. It has to do with him being great at defending the rim [defensive FG%] and his teams generally being much better defensively with him on the court than with him on the bench.

In fact counting stats (DBPM, DWS) always underrate him.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#5 » by Colbinii » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:25 pm

shtolky wrote:I would say off the top of my head that Tatum is the most overrated player in the league, simply due to how he's referred by some as the next big thing. He was very good in the playoffs his rookie season and that performance has seemingly given him this status that I don't think he's earned yet. He's a very good player, but I'm not sure he's more than that, certainly not a perennial all-star like some have said he will be.

Tatum is really only overrated by a few Celtics fans and even that is more about "He will be a superstar" versus "He already is a superstar".

I think RealGM generally does a good job of player assessment. I think Kawhi and Giannis are a little overrated but nothing major. I have seen Klay Thompson get overrated as well. Some people overrate the 90s as a whole but for the most part, as I said above, the community is filled with relatively intelligent people which spills over well to basketball assessment and analysis.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 10,820

Post#6 » by BFRESH44 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:26 pm

There's nothing overrated about him. He's been a very good player for over a decade now. He'll be a borderline hall of fame guy when his career is over.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,745

Post#7 » by UcanUwill » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:32 pm

Nikola Vucevic
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,198

Post#8 » by BNM » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:41 pm

Who is more overrated? Kyle Kuzma, by himself, by Laker fans and by casual fans who only look at scoring average and not efficiency, his weak rebounding and non-existent defense.

Aldridge had a great season in 2017-18 (7th in RPM and 5th in RPM/Wins), when Kawhi decided to take a 72 game + playoffs paid vacation. He slipped a little bit last season, but was still solid. He may shoot a lot of mid-range jumpers, but his 2FG% and TS% are still above league average (.528 and .579).
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#9 » by Goudelock » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:42 pm

Colbinii wrote:I think RealGM generally does a good job of player assessment. I think Kawhi and Giannis are a little overrated but nothing major. I have seen Klay Thompson get overrated as well. Some people overrate the 90s as a whole but for the most part, as I said above, the community is filled with relatively intelligent people which spills over well to basketball assessment and analysis.

As a moderator on this board, I'd respectfully disagree with your opinion. The amount of trolls who post only to get a rise out of someone else has increased exponentially since I joined in 2015.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
BIG Game
Rookie
And1: 272

Post#10 » by BIG Game » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Say whatever you want about LA but take this into consideration he's made the playoffs 70% of his time in the league. On top of that he's been your 1A/1B on all of those teams. List 25 other guys that have done that since 06.

Other bit of triva, the Bulls traded him for Tyrus Thomas ..........
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#11 » by MGB8 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:48 pm

Colbinii wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:I don't get the love for LA. An All-Star (IN THE WEST) last year. I just got out of a thread where he was called a defensive anchor.

Who you got?

It has nothing to do with counting stats. It has to do with him being great at defending the rim [defensive FG%] and his teams generally being much better defensively with him on the court than with him on the bench.

In fact counting stats (DBPM, DWS) always underrate him.

Yup. If anything, LaMarcus Aldridge has become underrated. He's good for 22-24 ppg along with 8-10 rpg and 1 to 1.5 blocks on pretty good efficiency (.56-.58 TS) with a decent to good defensive metrics (noting that his defensive metrics were down last season).

At 34 years old, he isn't as mobile as he once was, so that hurts him, but he deserved all-star consideration for the past decade.
BIG Game
Rookie

Post#12 » by BIG Game » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:49 pm

BFRESH44 wrote:There's nothing overrated about him. He's been a very good player for over a decade now. He'll be a borderline hall of fame guy when his career is over.

He should for sure get in. He has 3-4 more years left in him, and if he can get a ring somehow its a lock.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:54 pm

I wouldn't put him in the HOF. But, then the HOF has a bunch of guys I wouldn't have put in.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,182

Post#14 » by Bologna Smasher » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm

Still can't believe Bryan Colangelo picked Bargnani over him in the draft. Bosh and Aldridge would've been a nightmare for other teams to deal with. Bulls and Raptors both dropped the ball on him when it should've been an easy pick.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,973

Post#15 » by RCM88x » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm

He's become the DeMar DeRozan of Power Forwards.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
gh123
Sixth Man
And1: 1,197

Post#16 » by gh123 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:00 pm

Ben Rubio
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,105

Post#17 » by Kobblehead » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:02 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:To my eye he is a mid-range shooting albatross that doesn't play much defense.

He's got flaws in his game, but there's something to be said for him having 9 playoff appearances in the Western Conference. All of which he was either the man or 2nd banana.

Aldridge is to be respected.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#18 » by Colbinii » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:07 pm

PockyCandy wrote:
Colbinii wrote:I think RealGM generally does a good job of player assessment. I think Kawhi and Giannis are a little overrated but nothing major. I have seen Klay Thompson get overrated as well. Some people overrate the 90s as a whole but for the most part, as I said above, the community is filled with relatively intelligent people which spills over well to basketball assessment and analysis.

As a moderator on this board, I'd respectfully disagree with your opinion. The amount of trolls who post only to get a rise out of someone else has increased exponentially since I joined in 2015.

I spend a majority of my time on the PC Board so I'm biased.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
BIG Game
Rookie

Post#19 » by BIG Game » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:08 pm

RCM88x wrote:He's become the DeMar DeRozan of Power Forwards.

Better player LA or K.Love?
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:To my eye he is a mid-range shooting albatross that doesn't play much defense.

He's got flaws in his game, but there's something to be said for him having 9 playoff appearances in the Western Conference. All of which he was either the man or 2nd banana.

Aldridge is to be respected.

This is hard for me because I attribute most of that to Pop. That is I could imagine the Spurs also making all those runs if they had replaced Aldridge with someone like maybe Zach Randolph instead.

Return to The General Board