What in the world makes people think that D Angelo Russell can fill Klay Thompson’s shoes

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,265

Re: What in the world makes people think that D Angelo Russell can fill Klay Thompson’s shoes 

Post#61 » by CS707 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:56 pm

D-Lo is here to be D-Lo. Much like the Spurs had several versions of themselves over the years, the Warriors are going to have to adapt to survive. Whether they can do it as well as SA did remains to be seen but the fact is that this wasn't a cookie cutter move. Accumulate talent and see what you can do with it.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Re: What in the world makes people think that D Angelo Russell can fill Klay Thompson’s shoes 

Post#62 » by karkinos » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:24 am

dlo isn't trying to "fill klay's shoes"
he's trying to be himself and i think warriors fans will appreciate what he brings to the floor.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#63 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:36 am

Up-And-Coming wrote:D'Lo plays nothing like Klay. D'Lo reminds me a bit of Manu and a skinnier Harden without the foul shots. If anything he can fill the role of 6th man when Klay comes back.

I don't think the Dubs gave him a max contract to be a 6th man. If he produces, he will be a starter playing big minutes. If he doesn't produce or doesn't provide a good fit with the Splash Brothers, he will be moved (probably at the end of the season).
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#64 » by Up-And-Coming » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:42 am

Samurai wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:D'Lo plays nothing like Klay. D'Lo reminds me a bit of Manu and a skinnier Harden without the foul shots. If anything he can fill the role of 6th man when Klay comes back.

I don't think the Dubs gave him a max contract to be a 6th man. If he produces, he will be a starter playing big minutes. If he doesn't produce or doesn't provide a good fit with the Splash Brothers, he will be moved (probably at the end of the season).

Ya, that makes sense. I'm sure they will try out the

D'Lo
Steph
Klay
Draymond
WCS

lineup but I'm not sure how well they will play together. If not, they will probably trade him by the beginning of the 2020 season
Joerezz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,504

Post#65 » by Joerezz7 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:35 pm

freethedevil wrote:
Joerezz7 wrote:
freethedevil wrote: :lol:
They played like the best offense in the league without klay and kd. Why would this be the case?

Anyway, people think that because

a. he's a better ball handler
b. he's a better passer
c. a more versatile scorer
d. is likely to improve

If they played like the best offense in the league last year then why did they get dominated by the Raptors in the Finals.

The raptors werethe second best modern playoff defense ever. The warriors defense ranked 11th both with and without durant this postseason. Imma let you figure this out.

Series would’ve been over in 5 games if KD didn’t come back that one game.

Huh? Based on what. When KD got injured the warriors lead had been reduced to a one possesion game despite the warriors having unsustainbly hot shooting at the start. In kd's last series, the rockets won two straight with him on the floor. There is zero evidence that kd was essential to their offense. Especially since it was their defense which collapsed.

The Warriors Finals record with Durant is 9-1. Without him they are 8-11. How is that a better offense without KD? They have a losing record in the Finals without him lol. Analytics don’t always tell the full story.

A lot of people feel if Durant played in the Finals against the Raptors they would’ve either swept them or the Raptors might’ve won one game. That’s how the majority of people feel. That’s the effect KD has on a team.

By the way The Warriors only beat the Rockets one and a half game in the playoffs. They wouldn’t of beat the Rockets in a full playoff series with KD. It would’ve been easier for Houston to Mande adjustments especially the fact they don’t have to deal with a matchup nightmare like KD.

This is a totally different Warriors team this year. What happens last year doesn’t apply much especially being with Klay not being there. Guys like Damian Lillard will drop 40 plus points on the Warriors without Klay being there to guard him
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

There is nothing inherently different about winning in the Finals compared to winning other playoff seriess,
gorditadog
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#66 » by gorditadog » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Nobody can replace Klay as the most over-rated, over-hyped player in the NBA.
Joerezz7
Sixth Man

Post#67 » by Joerezz7 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:41 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Joerezz7 wrote:Let’s keep in mind that they wouldn’t be a playoff team if they didn’t add Dlo.

"Let's keep in mind this false assumption"

Are you delusional? Popular opinion says they wouldn’t be in the playoffs at all if they didn’t get Dlo. Are you forgetting the Warriors play in the WEST, Not the East.

Steph is a great player but he’s not Allen Iverson or Tracy Mcgrady. Those are players who can force a team in the playoffs. Draymond Green is not a scorer. It would be a one man show if they didn’t get Dlo.

Warriors without Dlo and Klay are not better than Lakers, Clippers, Jazz, Rockets, Denver, Blazers. Dallas is a lot better this year too. Maybe Warriors will grab 8th spot if they didn’t get Dlo. If you think otherwise you are living in a fantasy land and smoking some good stuff
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

There is nothing inherently different about winning in the Finals compared to winning other playoff seriess,
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,043

Post#68 » by Lalouie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:15 pm

wasn't the initial thought that dlo would eventually be moved?
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,744

Post#69 » by KingDavid » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:52 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:What's their foot sizes?

Asking the real questions!
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,406

Post#70 » by Indomitable » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Joerezz7 wrote:Let’s keep in mind that they wouldn’t be a playoff team if they didn’t add Dlo. With him they will hover around the 8th, 7th or maybe 6th spot. Some people are saying 5th or 4th which is way too high. A Steph and Dlo duo is not the same as Steph and Klay duo. A lot of people on here will try to make you believe that though

People are making it seem like Dlo and Klay Thompson are in the same class. Don’t get me wrong Dlo is a good young player but he’s not Klay Thompson. Klay Thompson is a great player, 3 point shooter and can score 30 points in a quarter. Klay also plays defense too. Dlo doesn’t.

These same people thought that Paul George could fill KD shoes in OKC. That didn’t work out at all. PG is good but not in the same class as KD.

This will not be the same Warriors team that swept the Blazers in the playoffs last year. They will have the worse defensive backcourt in the NBA in Dlo and Curry.

By the way Dlo had the ball a lot when he was on the Nets and didn’t have to share it with anyone. That’s how he was able to score and create plays for his teammates. With the Warriors it’s no guarantee he averages 20 point a game this season with him having to share the ball with Steph

I’m not sure if it’s a guarantee the Warriors make the playoffs because Dlo is good but he’s not the caliber player of Klay Thompson. You can’t replace a superstar with a young up and coming all star and expect everything to be ok

Most are warrior fans.

The team rain in it death throes.So much was made about their offense but great defense is what made them so dangerous. Now they are a 2nd round team.
:banghead:
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#71 » by michaelm » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Indomitable wrote:
Joerezz7 wrote:Let’s keep in mind that they wouldn’t be a playoff team if they didn’t add Dlo. With him they will hover around the 8th, 7th or maybe 6th spot. Some people are saying 5th or 4th which is way too high. A Steph and Dlo duo is not the same as Steph and Klay duo. A lot of people on here will try to make you believe that though

People are making it seem like Dlo and Klay Thompson are in the same class. Don’t get me wrong Dlo is a good young player but he’s not Klay Thompson. Klay Thompson is a great player, 3 point shooter and can score 30 points in a quarter. Klay also plays defense too. Dlo doesn’t.

These same people thought that Paul George could fill KD shoes in OKC. That didn’t work out at all. PG is good but not in the same class as KD.

This will not be the same Warriors team that swept the Blazers in the playoffs last year. They will have the worse defensive backcourt in the NBA in Dlo and Curry.

By the way Dlo had the ball a lot when he was on the Nets and didn’t have to share it with anyone. That’s how he was able to score and create plays for his teammates. With the Warriors it’s no guarantee he averages 20 point a game this season with him having to share the ball with Steph

I’m not sure if it’s a guarantee the Warriors make the playoffs because Dlo is good but he’s not the caliber player of Klay Thompson. You can’t replace a superstar with a young up and coming all star and expect everything to be ok

Most are warrior fans.

The team rain in it death throes.So much was made about their offense but great defense is what made them so dangerous. Now they are a 2nd round team.

I am not sure the ceiling of a 22 year old who has already made an all-star team can be precisely known at this point in time, but the number of GSW fans who consider him to be at Klay’s level now or a like for like replacement is precisely zero, so the OP is arguing against himself in which process you seem happy to join him.

GSW fans are naturally delighted to have a young all-star rather than no-one in the wake of KD’s departure, and have a somewhat evidence based faith in the GSW coaching staff and in Curry’s and Green’s ceiling raising ability. Klay himself was no All star at this stage in his career btw.

If GSW make the second round which will involve Klay coming back in shape sufficient to contribute I think you may find they will go further.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,406

Post#72 » by Indomitable » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:25 pm

michaelm wrote:
Indomitable wrote:

Most are warrior fans.

I am not sure the ceiling of a 22 year old who has already made an all-star team can be precisely known at this point in time, but the number of GSW fans who consider him to be at Klay’s level now or a like for like replacement is precisely zero, so the OP is arguing against himself in which process you seem happy to join him.

GSW fans are naturally delighted to have a young all-star rather than no-one in the wake of KD’s departure, and have a somewhat evidence based faith in the GSW coaching staff and in Curry’s and Green’s ceiling raising ability. Klay himself was no All star at this stage in his career btw.

If GSW make the second round which will involve Klay coming back in shape sufficient to contribute I think you may find they will go further.

Klay will not be a 100%

Russell is a scorer and that is about it. The Yellow State biggest issue is how much they will lose on defense.

You went from 4 very good defender and Curry.

Curry is below avg on defense. He gives great effort.
Russell is bad on defense.
Draymont is a great defender
Looney is a solid defender

I was being nice.
BOTH LA teams will kill your team.
Houston is better
Portland is at least your equal

Your experience will see you through the first round but you guys lack talent. Klay has no chance of being the player he was last year next year. In time he will probably regain 90% ofhis effectiveness.
:banghead:
Ree4erMadness
Senior
And1: 981

Post#73 » by Ree4erMadness » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:26 pm

Lalouie wrote:wasn't the initial thought that dlo would eventually be moved?

No, thats the media/forum narrative.
"In America you'll never be free, middle fingers up **** the police. Damn can a nikka just breathe? - Nas - 2008
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#74 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:46 pm

Joerezz7 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Joerezz7 wrote:Let’s keep in mind that they wouldn’t be a playoff team if they didn’t add Dlo.

Are you delusional? Popular opinion says they wouldn’t be in the playoffs at all if they didn’t get Dlo. Are you forgetting the Warriors play in the WEST, Not the East.

Steph is a great player but he’s not Allen Iverson or Tracy Mcgrady. Those are players who can force a team in the playoffs. Draymond Green is not a scorer. It would be a one man show if they didn’t get Dlo.

Warriors without Dlo and Klay are not better than Lakers, Clippers, Jazz, Rockets, Denver, Blazers. Dallas is a lot better this year too. Maybe Warriors will grab 8th spot if they didn’t get Dlo. If you think otherwise you are living in a fantasy land and smoking some good stuff

Lol holy ****. Not only do you have the audacity to spout blatantly false information, but you have the the audacity to frame it like it's a consensus opinion. Unreal. As a Sixers fan who loved AI, Curry is very obviously better than both Iverson/TMac (and I guarantee you that's a consensus opinon).

This isn't even a conversation worth having. Will you say you're sorry when they land a top 3 seed this season?
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#75 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:57 pm

The same thing that makes people think Green can fill KD and Iggy's roles by himself. :)
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#76 » by killmongrel » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:09 pm

Still wondering who these "people" are that the OP is referring to. I have never heard anybody say that DLO will fill Klay's shoes. It's more about DLO hopefully providing some of offense that the Warriors will need in Klay's absence. Also, people are hoping he steps up his defense as well. OP seems to have had a fever induced dream and thought of people that don't even exist.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#77 » by The_Hater » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:29 pm

I haven’t seen a single person claim that Russell can fill Thompson's Shoes. Not one.

AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,428

Post#78 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:46 am

XxIronChainzxX wrote:No one thinks he'll be that good. About the most positive I've ever seen anyone say about him is that he'd be able to score efficiently next to Curry as a second option rather than at league average efficiency.

I'm really excited to see how Russell does next to Curry. Not because I'm a big believer in Russell, but because I think Curry makes everything easier for on-ball players on a level we've never seen in basketball history.

I don't think it's implausible at all that the Warriors could raise Russell's stock and then pass him off to a team that will be very disappointed.

Of course, who knows. Russell isn't really taking Klay's shoes. Maybe he can find a distinct niche valuable enough that the Warriors are happy to keep him.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Joerezz7
Sixth Man

Post#79 » by Joerezz7 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:05 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Joerezz7 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

Lol holy ****. Not only do you have the audacity to spout blatantly false information, but you have the the audacity to frame it like it's a consensus opinion. Unreal. As a Sixers fan who loved AI, Curry is very obviously better than both Iverson/TMac (and I guarantee you that's a consensus opinon).

This isn't even a conversation worth having. Will you say you're sorry when they land a top 3 seed this season?

Top 3 seed? Steph and Dlo is not even the best backcourt in the West. I think Houston or Denver ,possibly Utah. will get that 3rd seed behind Clippers and Lakers. Houston has a better backcourt in Harden and Westbrook than Warriors.

Denver was 2nd seed last year. Don’t think they will fall off and be a worse team than the Warriors without Klay lol. Utah is also more deeper than Warriors too.
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#80 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:10 am

Joerezz7 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Joerezz7 wrote:

Top 3 seed? Steph and Dlo is not even the best backcourt in the West. I think Houston or Denver ,possibly Utah. will get that 3rd seed behind Clippers and Lakers. Houston has a better backcourt in Harden and Westbrook than Warriors.

Denver was 2nd seed last year. Don’t think they will fall off and be a worse team than the Warriors without Klay lol. Utah is also more deeper than Warriors too.

Warriors can realistically end up anywhere between 1-6. I have them 3rd behind the Jazz and Clips as far as RS standings go (almost put them #2).

Even if Westbrook/Harden outperform Curry/D'Lo (I'm not convinced that will happen), Draymond is far better than any other player on the Rockets. He and Curry are/always have been the heart of the Warriors' success.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph

Return to The General Board