Jonathan Isaac for Derrick White

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Jonathan Isaac for Derrick White 

Post#1 » by dorkestra » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:41 am

White/Murray
Gordon/Isaac

two sets of two young players at the same position on the same team. for the good of the players, the teams, and the fans, why don't we sign a petition to force them to make the trade? it could be like brexit where the conditions aren't specified (as in, draft picks could be attached)

DeJounte Murray/Bryn Forbes/Patty Mills
DeMar DeRozan/Marco Belinelli/Lonnie Walker
Rudy Gay/DeMarre Carroll/Keldon Johnson
Jonathan Isaac/Trey Lyles/Luka Samanic
LaMarcus Aldridge/Jakob Poeltl/Chimezie Metu

Derrick White/D. J. Augustin
Evan Fournier/Markelle Fultz/Wesley Iwundu
Terrence Ross/Chuma Okeke/Melvin Frazier Jr.
Aaron Gordon/Al-Farouq Aminu
Nikola Vucevic/Mo Bamba/Timofey Mozgov
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,303

Re: Jonathan Isaac for Derrick White 

Post#2 » by Kurt Heimlich » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:00 am

I like both as prospects and appreciate this idea. IMO the value/fit/contract comp for these teams is very reasonable. Magic fans (like their gm) seem to place extra value on wingspan/potential over production at times. And the former 6th pick v whereever White was picked late 1st will give the inevitable pause for magic evaluators. But this is a yes, with maybe a relatively small value boostfrom SAS, from me dawg.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,814

Post#3 » by psman2 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:06 am

I think Issac has the highest upside of anyone on Orlando's team and I would trade Gordon away for a better return than this before I would consider moving on from Issac.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,244

Post#4 » by Catchall » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:09 am

Derrick White is near his ceiling as a player, imo. Jonathan Issac is just scratching the surface of his potential. White has turned out well for a late 1st-round pick, but there's an obvious reason Issac was drafted in the high lottery. Issac could be a DPOY-caliber defender and has and untapped offensive potential. Orlando wouldn't trade Issac for White. Not close.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#5 » by dorkestra » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:27 am

Catchall wrote:Derrick White is near his ceiling as a player, imo. Jonathan Issac is just scratching the surface of his potential. White has turned out well for a late 1st-round pick, but there's an obvious reason Issac was drafted in the high lottery. Issac could be a DPOY-caliber defender and has and untapped offensive potential. Orlando wouldn't trade Issac for White. Not close.

I rate Isaac very high, but it seems the issue here would be your lack of appreciation for White. Near his ceiling as a player after only 84 games played in the NBA? Is it just because he is 25?
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,244

Post#6 » by Catchall » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:34 am

dorkestra wrote:
Catchall wrote:Derrick White is near his ceiling as a player, imo. Jonathan Issac is just scratching the surface of his potential. White has turned out well for a late 1st-round pick, but there's an obvious reason Issac was drafted in the high lottery. Issac could be a DPOY-caliber defender and has and untapped offensive potential. Orlando wouldn't trade Issac for White. Not close.

I rate Isaac very high, but it seems the issue here would be your lack of appreciation for White. Near his ceiling as a player after only 84 games played in the NBA? Is it just because he is 25?

He's 25, and he's a limited athlete by NBA standards. His offensive efficiency is mediocre, and his PG skills are limited. Both those latter things can improve a little, but he's not remotely the prospect that Issac is. It would be like trading Issac for Evan Fournier.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#7 » by BoogieTime » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:56 am

Legend of Derrick White...

He shouldn’t have near Isaacs value
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,054

Post#8 » by Crives » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:09 am

I think Orlando needs the player with the higher ceiling (Isaac)
jjohns828
Bench Warmer
And1: 515

Post#9 » by jjohns828 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:49 am

Personally, I think if they decide Isaac and Gordon can't coexist our front office is more likely to move Gordon.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,299

Post#10 » by NotACat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:41 am

We're not trading for a PG until we see Fultz play
Black Lives Matter
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#11 » by TheProfessor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:47 am

I think Isaac has alot more value than Derrick White, it would have to be white+ lotto protected first for Isaac.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,729

Post#12 » by Duffman100 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:49 am

Yeah I see Isaac as a potential DPOY candidate. I think his value is higher than white's right now.

I mean, Isaac gave Siakam fits in the first round. You give him 4-5 years and more muscle? I'm not sure there isn't anyone he can't guard.
jjohns828
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by jjohns828 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:11 pm

TheProfessor wrote:I think Isaac has alot more value than Derrick White, it would have to be white+ lotto protected first for Isaac.

That might help bridge the gap but I tend to think the Magic still wouldn't do it. When I think of Isaac or Gordon being traded I tend to think it's more likely to be a scenario where the Magic are the ones adding value because we're trying to acquire a significant upgrade rather than receiving additional smaller assets to make up value. I could be wrong but that's my reading of the direction our front office seems to be pushing.
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#14 » by TheProfessor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:18 pm

jjohns828 wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:I think Isaac has alot more value than Derrick White, it would have to be white+ lotto protected first for Isaac.

That might help bridge the gap but I tend to think the Magic still wouldn't do it. When I think of Isaac or Gordon being traded I tend to think it's more likely to be a scenario where the Magic are the ones adding value because we're trying to acquire a significant upgrade rather than receiving additional smaller assets to make up value. I could be wrong but that's my reading of the direction our front office seems to be pushing.

Ohh no I think your completely right, The bare minimum is a first+white for Gordon. But I think a better trade would be something centered around Winslow and Gordon.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#15 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:10 pm

NotACat wrote:We're not trading for a PG until we see Fultz play

About that...
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jjohns828
Bench Warmer

Post#16 » by jjohns828 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:21 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

About that...

I would agree that extreme skepticism is warranted regarding Fultz, but I think the fact that we didn’t do anything to address our PG rotation so far means our front office is committed enough to the gamble that NotACat is probably right unless it’s a ridiculously good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#17 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:46 pm

jjohns828 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

About that...

I would agree that extreme skepticism is warranted regarding Fultz, but I think the fact that we didn’t do anything to address our PG rotation so far means our front office is committed enough to the gamble that NotACat is probably right unless it’s a ridiculously good deal.

I wouldn’t trade Isaac for white if I were Orlando but I also wouldn’t not trade for a good pg if he became available just because fultz may step foot on the court.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jjohns828
Bench Warmer

Post#18 » by jjohns828 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
jjohns828 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:About that...

I wouldn’t trade Isaac for white if I were Orlando but I also wouldn’t not trade for a good pg if he became available just because fultz may step foot on the court.

Personally, I agree my previous post was just my read of our front office.

Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#19 » by Woody Allen » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Orlando does need a player like Derrick White but they got too little talent on the roster to send away Isaac for him. Maybe a protected first, which the Spurs would likely turn down.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,470

Post#20 » by Chinook » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:45 pm

Catchall wrote:
dorkestra wrote:

He's 25, and he's a limited athlete by NBA standards. His offensive efficiency is mediocre, and his PG skills are limited. Both those latter things can improve a little, but he's not remotely the prospect that Issac is. It would be like trading Issac for Evan Fournier.

White's not a limited athlete. He's not Wiggins or Walker, but he's more athletic than the average PG for sure. His combine numbers were elite. I'm not trying to force you to think he's worth Isaac or anything like that, but you seem to have no real idea who White is as a player given what you said about his skill-set.

Return to Trades and Transactions