Kobe on Advanced Analytics: "The Game is about Momentum and Pace"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

IgorK
Veteran
And1: 4,786

Re: Kobe on Advanced Analytics: "The Game is about Momentum and Pace" 

Post#121 » by IgorK » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:34 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
IgorK wrote:Analytics are great for analysis, which comes after the game has concluded.

I'm pretty sure you want all kinds of analytics in your scouting report. That plays a KEY role in how you defend, how you attack, your offense should be designed around those metrics as well. In game sure, someone gets hot and you have to adapt. Someone goes cold, same thing.

I think people are getting it twisted and thinking I mean analytics has no place in the game. Surely they help to point out some helpful trends. But they won't win you a game in the future alone. You need the human eye, knowledge about health, as well as hopefully insights into which motivational mix tape the opposing locker room is playing :lol:
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#122 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:42 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Pretty sure in the end we decided who wins the game based on numbers. Scoreboard baby.

Momentum is very important...because it has the potential to affect the scoreboard.

Re: numbers without proper context. Absolutely agree that that's what you want to avoid. Disagree if you're implying those who making use of numbers in the +/- family aren't also considering context.

He didn’t like that I posted the on/offs of the Nets last year (with a minutes qualifier) even after I stated outright that bench players having positive on/offs does not mean they are better than starters with negative on/offs. What I did deduce however is that, for a team with an average point differential of -0.1, negative on/offs imply the starters were worse than an average starting unit. Also that depth was a big part of their success. There was plenty of context in the thread.

Saying that Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Shabazz Napier had more of a floor impact over Joe Harris on the Nets last season is a textbook example of using on/off with very little context.

Then it's a good thing I never said that... Nothing that could even be misinterpreted as that
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,408

Post#123 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:46 pm

IgorK wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
IgorK wrote:Analytics are great for analysis, which comes after the game has concluded.

I'm pretty sure you want all kinds of analytics in your scouting report. That plays a KEY role in how you defend, how you attack, your offense should be designed around those metrics as well. In game sure, someone gets hot and you have to adapt. Someone goes cold, same thing.

I think people are getting it twisted and thinking I mean analytics has no place in the game. Surely they help to point out some helpful trends. But they won't win you a game in the future alone. You need the human eye, knowledge about health, as well as hopefully insights into which motivational mix tape the opposing locker room is playing :lol:

I mean there's no counter for "Eye of the Tiger". That's an auto win!

Analytics are a lot more than finding trends. Knowing your guy (who lets be honest you play 3 times a year and forget about) goes left 80% of the time or is a weak catch and shoot guy are things that analytics bring out and play key roles in the decisions players make in real time in game. When NBA players make comments like "I had no idea so and so allstar was that tall" and that was said by Jefferson about Manu when Jefferson joined the spurs...well it's pretty clear players know less about each other than fans generally assume. That's why having analytics available before games is so critical.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,530

Post#124 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:54 pm

CallMeKahn wrote:
fianchetto wrote:
IgorK wrote:
Analytics point to past performance trends. They're not great at predicting true winning, and they never will be since they don't take into account intangible factors like motivation and health.

The goal of analytics is to make intangibles tangible. How can you say they never will?

Because it's like Science trying to prove God. The goal of analytics isn't to prove an intangible thing. It's goal is to provide data, isolate trends, and possible future performance. But it doesn't predict health, emotional states, or even fluke outliers that can affect the whole (think regression to the mean). Grayson f***ing Allen dropped 40 in a game last year. Even if it's a scrub game with neither side having anything to play for, no one predicted that.

Simply put, having the data available helps and is wickedly valuable. But if it's the end-all-be-all, why haven't the Rockets won a chip lately?

Are you serious?
Anyway, it would be super easy to prove God's existence

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,720

Post#125 » by G35 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:09 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Buzzard wrote:He has a point that analytics and advanced stats are not the end all be all. But check this list of MVP players. The common theme I listed is they are all around .550 TS% or better except Iverson. TS% listed is for the year they won it. I don't think it is a accident that the year Kobe won his, was also his 2nd most efficient season.

The ones who won multiple MVP's were all above the .550 thresh hold. Another thing that stood out is how many of these MVPs have never won a Championship. Quite a few of course are still playing.

TS% .644 2018-19 Giannis Antetokounmpo
TS% .619 2017-18 James Harden
TS% .554 2016-17 Russell Westbrook
TS% .669 2015-16 Stephen Curry
TS% .638 2014-15 Stephen Curry
TS% .635 2013-14 Kevin Durant
TS% .640 2012-13 LeBron James
TS% .605 2011-12 LeBron James
TS% .550 2010-11 Derrick Rose
TS% .604 2009-10 LeBron James
TS% .591 2008-09 LeBron James
TS% .576 2007-08 Kobe Bryant
TS% .589 2006-07 Dirk Nowitzki
TS% .606 2005-06 Steve Nash
TS% .632 2004-05 Steve Nash
TS% .547 2003-04 Kevin Garnett
TS% .564 2002-03 Tim Duncan
TS% .576 2001-02 Tim Duncan
TS% .518 2000-01 Allen Iverson
TS% .578 1999-00 Shaquille O'Neal

The threshold is actually 60% really or close to. The early 2000’s was lower but outside of that and Westbrook, almost everyone is approaching 60TS%.

TS% is great to see how efficient a player is and how well they can get to the line. But efficiency is sometimes overblown. James Harden might be a top 3 efficiency player ever, but I don't think he will ever win a title.

I think offensive creation is more powerful than efficiency...I realize that "offensive creation" is a vague term but that's what is, you can't quite describe it in a word or phrase. The players that can create offense in all situations i.e. playoffs, strong defenses, zones, double/triple teams...those players may not always be the most efficient but they propel their teams offense to a higher degree. Few players can do that.

Buzzard wrote:Garnett surprised me; he was a decent FT shooter also. Duncan surprised me being under .600. I was not expecting that, but FT shooting hurt him.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ts_pct_career.html

Not surprising, KG has a wealth of skills but he was not very efficient for an elite big man...I think he might be the least efficient elite big of all time. In career TS% during the RS, Garnett is at the very bottom of this list at 250. Below luminaries like Jeremy Lin, Dennis Rodman, Theo Ratliff, and Channing Frye.

levon wrote:I think pre-analytics NBA thought is really interesting and is undervalued by blog boys all the time. Being dismissive and smart-alecy about the mental aspects of the game when you've never played NBA ball isn't more empirical; it's actually less responsible because you're actively dropping qualitative information that can either be quantified, be used to interpret the numbers, or both.

Kobe's approach to the game was deception. He would start off by imposing his will and getting the defense to react a certain way, and then do the opposite to throw them off. He would do this in something as small scale as a single move, or across possessions, or across games within a playoff series. He would be very informed by film and scouting reports, focusing on tendencies and less on local optima.

It seems to me the dominant school of thought now is to do the most locally optimal thing per possession. It's definitely less of a mental/emotional calculation and more of just referring to data and basically executing a simple min-max. But I think winning is largely a separate experiential skillset, based on very minute details. That's something Kobe loves talking about.

+100

I played a lot of videogames growing up, and I was at that time when you had to go to the mall and play them at an arcade. When Street Fight II came out and then Mortal Kombat came out it was a great time for fighting games. The thing is when you play against the AI at home is far different than playing against a human opponent. The programmers can optimize the character until its nearly unbeatable, but I always felt there was some way to adapt and beat the AI, even on the hardest difficulties.

But going to the arcade...having to put your quarter up on the screen, basically saying you got "next"...(quarters were round pieces of metal we used for currency for cheaper items) and everyone would look at you and you give you that look. The same look you get when you got next on a basketball court. You have to prove yourself. The difference with playing in the arcade is your emotions change, you get excited, you may start to feel hot...sweat...and then you had people who were trash talking behind you, taking sides, saying which matchup was better and who could beat who.

In fighting games, a huge key to winning is adaptation to your opponent and momentum. Knowing what your opponent wants to do and either taking it away or using it against them. Also, there are times when you are down big, its looking like a sure L, and then you have that "real master comeback" and one thing can change the momentum of the game. You never give up, there was always a chance you could win, but you could always tell the guys would give up when things weren't going their way and then the guys who would/could adapt.

You see the same thing in the NBA...when things are going their way some players are invincible (cough James Harden cough) and then when things aren't going their way they look like garbage and you can see they do not adapt to the situation or to their opponent.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,328

Post#126 » by ShotCreator » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:50 pm

levon wrote:I think pre-analytics NBA thought is really interesting and is undervalued by blog boys all the time. Being dismissive and smart-alecy about the mental aspects of the game when you've never played NBA ball isn't more empirical; it's actually less responsible because you're actively dropping qualitative information that can either be quantified, be used to interpret the numbers, or both.

Kobe's approach to the game was deception. He would start off by imposing his will and getting the defense to react a certain way, and then do the opposite to throw them off. He would do this in something as small scale as a single move, or across possessions, or across games within a playoff series. He would be very informed by film and scouting reports, focusing on tendencies and less on local optima.

It seems to me the dominant school of thought now is to do the most locally optimal thing per possession. It's definitely less of a mental/emotional calculation and more of just referring to data and basically executing a simple min-max. But I think winning is largely a separate experiential skillset, based on very minute details. That's something Kobe loves talking about.

The only thing that would allow Kobe to be effective in diversifying his approach to the game would be talent and ability, which analytics has tracked pretty well for years now.

I really don’t think people understand just how good the right analytics can be at forecasting outcomes. There are guys who watch zero sports and literally farm millions through daily fantasy using algorithms similar to RAPM for forecasting box scores.

Things as violatile as PTS/TRB/AST/STL/BLK every night.

Kobe makes it sound like(or even says directly), the most important skills to have in basketball are untrackable and mental. Absolute ****.

It’s a game of substance, and talent. The ability to play it out a high level(which is always trackable) is BY FAR the most important aspect.

Quote is nothing more than arrogance and superstition.
Swinging for the fences.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#127 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:57 pm

KyRo23 wrote:Kind of rich coming from Kobe, a guy who went for numbers instead of winning for awhile.

Nah you are missing something in your criticism. Kobe wasn’t that interested in numbers as in “let me pad my stats” he was more interested in getting his rhythm and momentum back. He was heaving half court shots at the end of quarters and 24 seconds before it was trendy. He was doing those things because he was not afraid to ruin his numbers he was doing it to get back in rhythm.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,615

Post#128 » by KyRo23 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:01 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:Kind of rich coming from Kobe, a guy who went for numbers instead of winning for awhile.

Nah you are missing something in your criticism. Kobe wasn’t that interested in numbers as in “let me pad my stats” he was more interested in getting his rhythm and momentum back. He was heaving half court shots at the end of quarters and 24 seconds before it was trendy. He was doing those things because he was not afraid to ruin his numbers he was doing it to get back in rhythm.

That sounds a lot like personal momentum rather than team momentum...
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:07 pm

KyRo23 wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:

Rhythm and momentum affects both, the individual players and the team as a whole. One carries the other and vise a verse
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,615

Post#130 » by KyRo23 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:Nah you are missing something in your criticism. Kobe wasn’t that interested in numbers as in “let me pad my stats” he was more interested in getting his rhythm and momentum back. He was heaving half court shots at the end of quarters and 24 seconds before it was trendy. He was doing those things because he was not afraid to ruin his numbers he was doing it to get back in rhythm.

Rhythm and momentum affects both, the individual players and the team as a whole. One carries the other and vise a verse

Seems pretty detrimental to force shots like that. Does more for killing momentum than gaining it.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#131 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:12 pm

KyRo23 wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:That sounds a lot like personal momentum rather than team momentum...

Seems pretty detrimental to force shots like that. Does more for killing momentum than gaining it.

That you are right, but you have to consider that we are talking about Kobe under Phil Jackson and Tex Winter who strongly believe in those little things that change the game when rhythm and momentum swing your way.
Forum permissions