Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Re: Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession 

Post#161 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Sabas11 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Sabas11 wrote:
Sorry but your appeal to logic falls on deaf ears when you start using the slippery slope argument (did someone say emotional reaction?) and keep bickering about what constitutes a dangerous weapon.

A slippery slope is not always fallacious. I am well aware of the fallacy. That does NOT mean a slippery slope, especially with well documented evidence doesn't exist. I can list off dozens of examples of a slippery slope with the government in regards to giving them an inch and they take a mile. I gave one very valid example in the Patriot Act from George W to show what I was referencing. A slippery slope is NOT the premises of my argument necessarily, just an example of the consequences of giving the government more power based on what we've seen historically.

Here is an excerpt from an article that defines it pretty nicely.

"A slippery slope argument is merely a claim that “A will lead to B” either as an inevitability, as an increased probability, or as a logical outcome. Slippery slope arguments are often misunderstood, and many people mistakenly think their use is always logically fallacious. As a general rule, if someone summarily dismisses a slippery slope claim, he or she is probably not the type of person who understands how arguments work. (For instance, there are numerous legal precedents where people have argued that accepting legal decision A will lead to B and have been proven correct.)"

In other words, a slippery slope can either be fallacious or not. I gave a good example of what I was comparing to as a point of reference and therefor don't believe the way I used it was fallacious. The US government has a LONG track record of abuse of power and rights.

I never claimed the slippery slope argument was always fallacious, just that you contradicted yourself when you used that argument and appealed to logic at the same time.

For some reason you tried to associate the topic at hand with the Patriot Act, which had nothing to do with with gun control to my knowledge, and screamed "slippery slope!" without starting to provide evidence to argue your position. Typical appeal to emotion to keep the status quo.

I think you're throwing out a bunch of fallacies out of context here. What emotion was I appealing to? What argument from passion was I making? So if you want a gun specific slippery slope, we can look at current day politicians. Look at the narrative over even the last 5 years. We've gone from background checks, to full blown gun confiscation talk from presidential candidates and congressmen/women. It's getting louder and more bold. Feinstein and other's have actually tried to pass legislation to encroach on VERY generic firearm groups such as "semi automatic" including all non revolver pistols (which basically is 90% of all guns out there right now). If they weren't trying to actively pass gun banning/severe restriction policy as we speak, you'd have more of an argument against slippery slope. Given the history (including very recent), you don't have much of a leg to stand on I'm afraid.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/going-to-extremes-against-guns-11565302002

"Texas’ former Rep. Beto O’Rourke said he is now “open” to a “mandatory” government gun-buying program—a polite way to describe confiscation of entire classes of firearms. New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker highlighted his plan to require every American to obtain a federal “license” to purchase a firearm. Responsible gun owners would have to submit fingerprints, pass an interview, and take safety courses to obtain even a .22-caliber long rifle. And they’d have to repeat the process every five years.

California Sen. Kamala Harris has vowed to ignore Congress and impose gun regulations via executive action. She’d ban certain firearm imports and sue gun manufacturers for “negligence,” among other things. As for former Vice President Joe Biden, CNN asked him if gun owners should worry that a Biden administration “is going to come for my guns.” He answered: “Bingo. You’re right if you have an assault weapon. The fact of the matter is, they should be illegal, period.”

The media is cheering all this on, as well as highlighting polls that claim majorities of Americans support this or that gun-control proposal. But polls are quick snapshots of tiny pools of Americans, often answering vaguely worded policy questions. This is a shoddy, and politically dangerous, way of measuring attitudes on a subject voters take seriously."

PS... look at this random tidbit. This excerpt is from Wikipedia in regards to the first gun buyback program that ever happened in the USA, in Baltimore. In the event of gun confiscation/buyback... we see that in most cases it's the law abiding, responsible gun owners who turn in... not gang members, murderers, burglars etc.

For two months in 1974, the Baltimore Police Department ran what is believed to have been the first gun buyback program in the U.S. Police commissioner Donald Pomerleau, not known as an advocate for strict gun control, reportedly came up with the idea while at a funeral for an officer who was shot in the line of duty. Operation PASS (People Against Senseless Shootings) paid a $50 "bounty" for surrendered guns and $100 for tips leading to the confiscation of illegal guns. Some bounty seekers attempted to game the system by buying cheap, new guns that retailed for $21.95 and then trying to turn them in. In all, the police collected 13,500 firearms - mostly handguns - at a cost of over $660,000. However, the city's already high gun homicide and assault rates actually increased during the program, for which police officials offered no explanation.

You're making this too easy my man.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Re: Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession 

Post#162 » by Woody Allen » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:59 pm

blind prophet wrote:Telfair told The Post on Monday before his sentencing that the weapons were his and legally licensed, although in Florida. He was not licensed to have them in New York.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/12/ex-nba-player-sebastian-telfair-gets-over-3-years-on-weapons-charges/

Seems kind of harsh to me.

Note to self, don't bring a gun to NY.

Why do you need a note to self like that, that's really weird.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Post#163 » by nedleeds » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:05 pm

Some **** are always trying to ice skate uphill.

This is his 3rd arrest? All for firearms? Dude is a moron. Put the responsibility on the grown ass man, not white gun owners in Alabama or New York's laws.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#164 » by Bayside » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:05 pm

After the last round of madness that had 3 mass shootings close to each other getting international news again. I decided to look at the web page that was going to be shut down since people posted on it before going nuts. And it was crazy. Never seen so much evil and gross images before. Then I downloaded Alex Jones podcast and preceded to listen to him say that democrats were involved with the devil. That they were coming for the guns and everyone should be prepared to go to war basically. He also kept going off on current events proclaiming all false. That these are all incells devil worshipers and again provided by the left. I was in shock. Supposedly Trump knows all of this and is the last line of defense. So I just get real shocked, saddened, confused, you name it. Sorry but anyone not seeing this as a problem needs to go get help. Most people are somewhere in the middle with views that alternate across political spectrum. But this stuff is downright incitement and evil. Facts are America has gun culture issue, as well as many other social and political issues that are stirring up certain groups. These groups are being used from what i can gather. But the rest of normal folks are at risk because of it. What concessions are these groups willing to make? Any? Or just there to keep others in fear. What a mess.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,930

Post#165 » by Axl Rose » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:19 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

No words. This is sad stuff.

I was thinking he just had a handgun or something. He was wildin riding around that heavy in NY.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,862

Post#166 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:37 pm

chrismikayla wrote:
karkinos wrote:literally couldn't pay him to get out of the hood mentality.

Just FYI, you don't have to have a "hood mentality" to carry protection. In fact, in today's social climate in the U.S., you'd be foolish not to be prepared to protect yourself.

I don't disagree with this because I guarantee you if minorities began legally arming ourselves en masse the gun laws will be changed overnight.

That being said, if you have to drive around with a submachine gun and an armored vest you may need to rethink some of your life's choices and the company you are involved with.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#167 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Hold on this man was driving around at night with all of this, lights off in BK?

Was he going to hit someone up? WTF...he's lucky af that they didn't lock him away for 10+ :crazy:

Sebastian Telfair is an idiot. I'm sorry. He is.

Klayforspicy
Head Coach
And1: 7,248

Post#168 » by Klayforspicy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:16 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hold on this man was driving around at night with all of this, lights off in BK?

Was he going to hit someone up? WTF...he's lucky af that they didn't lock him away for 10+ :crazy:

Sebastian Telfair is an idiot. I'm sorry. He is.
Dude got 3 for military grade, will probably serve 1.5, on his 3rd firearm arrest and theres dudes in here virtue signalling talking about too harsh lol
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,238

Post#169 » by John Murdoch » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:17 pm

Drygon wrote:It's hard to believe that Telfair actually was viewed as the next big thing alongside with LeBron 17 years ago :lol:

At least they were half right.

I had that slam shittttt
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Bayside
Rookie

Post#170 » by Bayside » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:33 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Golden Knight wrote:
TurinTurambar wrote:
And we wouldn't even see it coming. One of the many reasons why the pro-gun "self defense" argument has always been flatly ridiculous as even a premise.

Yeah that was cartoonish thinking. A country that has won World Wars is going to be afraid of civilians with guns?

How will guns protect you from Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear weapons? Kidnap the president or something like in the movies?

These 2A nutjobs really think they can take on the military with AR-15s. Good luck with all that when a well timed drone strike blows up your house.

I also think it is this same group that votes to put in an authoritarian govt. Busy defending an establishment that is doing said things, because they are pandered to saying anyone with different thought is less than human and is there sworn enemy. They are not at war with the govt but the other citizens. I am glad I visited some of these sites / shows. was really eye opening what some are actually thinking. Fox is lightweight compared.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#171 » by Ball so hard » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:52 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:Didn’t he know that only white civilians in red states are allowed to be heavily armed?

This is a terrible post. Telfair failed to read up on the rules of conceal and carry. How stupid can one be to not understand the rules and regulations of such a hot topic?

Count me in as one of those stupid people.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#172 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:09 pm

Bayside wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Golden Knight wrote:Yeah that was cartoonish thinking. A country that has won World Wars is going to be afraid of civilians with guns?

How will guns protect you from Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear weapons? Kidnap the president or something like in the movies?

These 2A nutjobs really think they can take on the military with AR-15s. Good luck with all that when a well timed drone strike blows up your house.

I also think it is this same group that votes to put in an authoritarian govt. Busy defending an establishment that is doing said things, because they are pandered to saying anyone with different thought is less than human and is there sworn enemy. They are not at war with the govt but the other citizens. I am glad I visited some of these sites / shows. was really eye opening what some are actually thinking. Fox is lightweight compared.

Yes, that's the crazy part about it. The same people who think that they should have unlimited access to assault weapons are the same ones who are in support of authoritarian fascism.

I'm assuming you've had the displeasure of visiting 4chan or 8chan. I took a trip down that rabbit hole as well awhile back (way before the shootings) to see exactly what these people are thinking and they are absolutely vile, violent, and insane.

Ball so hard
Sixth Man

Post#173 » by Ball so hard » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:11 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
Vincent 666 wrote:The 2nd amendment doesnt exist to "fight government tyranny". Its exists to prevent society from ever getting to that point.

Americans buy over 2 million guns EVERY MONTH to add to the over 400mm already in circulation. The government would never ever attempt a takeover in the country, which is exactly the point. Free citizens are armed, ready to defend their rights and liberty. If you choose to be a serf to your government masters, well that's your business..

99% of those with these guns would end up shooting themselves in the foot before they took a life with them...

Literally burst out laughing :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've always thought the notion that citizens would stand even a remote chance against a tyrannical government is absurd.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man

Post#174 » by Ball so hard » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:16 pm

This is such an ignorant statement.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,591

Post#175 » by Nate505 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:14 pm

Ball so hard wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:Didn’t he know that only white civilians in red states are allowed to be heavily armed?

This is a terrible post. Telfair failed to read up on the rules of conceal and carry. How stupid can one be to not understand the rules and regulations of such a hot topic?

Count me in as one of those stupid people.

If you had priors for the same offense 10 years ago, yeah, that would be pretty stupid.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,577

Post#176 » by Asianiac_24 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:05 pm

Anyone bringing around an assault weapon especially in NY should be locked for 10+. 3 years is light.
Bayside
Rookie

Post#177 » by Bayside » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:24 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Bayside wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Yes, that's the crazy part about it. The same people who think that they should have unlimited access to assault weapons are the same ones who are in support of authoritarian fascism.

I'm assuming you've had the displeasure of visiting 4chan or 8chan. I took a trip down that rabbit hole as well awhile back (way before the shootings) to see exactly what these people are thinking and they are absolutely vile, violent, and insane.

Yes that is what I did. figured I should see for myself. It was eye opening to how big a problem there is. I think Jones is more dangerous. He is actively painting one entire party and their voters as inspired by the devil. And staying they are starting a war etc. He riles people up susceptible.. I still cant tell if he is for real or just playing his role for the dollar. He is calling dems devil worshipers and their handlers off of this earth? WTF. He does also sound off on republicans who go against their cause 2A, or Trump. It's bizarre.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#178 » by karkinos » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:06 am

Ball so hard wrote:

This is such an ignorant statement.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/12/ex-nba-player-sebastian-telfair-gets-over-3-years-on-weapons-charges/

1. responsible gun owners should know where their guns are 100% of the time. "i didn't know it was there" is never a good excuse. ever.
2. normal people don't move out of a house and put a gun in an ottoman.
3. "three loaded handguns, a submachine gun, ammunition, extended magazines and a ballistic vest during a search of his vehicle" extended magazines in a heavily gun restricted state is a HUGE no-no. reasonably informed gun owners should be hyperaware of what constitutes an extended magazine.
4. nba player bringing a gun in a pillow case on the team plane? like how many times do people have to tell this guy "no" when it comes to transportation with guns? he seriously has a problem with doing it legally in a responsible manner.

you can stamp it 'ignorant' all you want but there's a clear threshold for what it means to be a responsible citizen and he clearly does not meet that bar. for a political climate clamoring for stricter gun control, one would have expected more people applauding such a strict enforcement of the law.
Shaud
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,061

Post#179 » by Shaud » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:13 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,150

Post#180 » by SHO'NUFF » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:30 am

Shaud wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

He should have known....but that still breaks my heart...
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image

Return to The General Board