ImageImageImageImageImage

[The Athletic] - What will the Knicks’ rotation look like?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,754

Re: [The Athletic] - What will the Knicks’ rotation look like? 

Post#121 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:46 pm

j4remi wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:I think DSJ will start, but they will probably split minutes pretty evenly and Fiz will go with the hot hand to finish. It is probably the starting spot that is the most up for grabs so would not surprise me either way.

All indications point to it being up for grabs for sure.

https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/sources-elfrid-payton-will-have-every-opportunity-to-win-knicks-starting-pg-job/308781808

But at the moment, the plan is for new Knick Elfrid Payton to get "every opportunity" to win the starting point guard position next season, per SNY sources familiar with the matter.

"Playing time was a factor and it depended on the deal,'' Payton told the website. "I obviously don't mind playing on a one-year deal ... but when you're in a situation where you're on a one-year deal, you have to be able to play to showcase what you can do. If you're on a one-year deal and you don't play, then your hands are kind of tied, you feel me? I also looked at the coaching and playing style."

DSJ is gonna have to earn his spot, period. That doesn't preclude him from doing so, but the Payton pick up wasn't just window dressing.

Payton is going to play. And he might be wonderful too.

You're right about the competition. And that should be a good thing, because if DSJr wins the starting spot then that validates the decision to get him. Payton is there to push him and if Smith falters Payton will start.

It's all good.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#122 » by GONYK » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:05 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:I think DSJ will start, but they will probably split minutes pretty evenly and Fiz will go with the hot hand to finish. It is probably the starting spot that is the most up for grabs so would not surprise me either way.

https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/sources-elfrid-payton-will-have-every-opportunity-to-win-knicks-starting-pg-job/308781808

But at the moment, the plan is for new Knick Elfrid Payton to get "every opportunity" to win the starting point guard position next season, per SNY sources familiar with the matter.

"Playing time was a factor and it depended on the deal,'' Payton told the website. "I obviously don't mind playing on a one-year deal ... but when you're in a situation where you're on a one-year deal, you have to be able to play to showcase what you can do. If you're on a one-year deal and you don't play, then your hands are kind of tied, you feel me? I also looked at the coaching and playing style."

DSJ is gonna have to earn his spot, period. That doesn't preclude him from doing so, but the Payton pick up wasn't just window dressing.

You're right about the competition. And that should be a good thing, because if DSJr wins the starting spot then that validates the decision to get him. Payton is there to push him and if Smith falters Payton will start.

It's all good.

I'm not sure who will start, but I do think Payton is the best overall PG on the roster.

DSJ as a super sub probably works better for lineup balance, and Frank can slot in as a 3 off the bench next to DSJ and Trier, since they both will command a ton of shots.

I have no idea what Fiz will do though. I really have no feel for his sense of lineup balance.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,977

Post#123 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:20 pm

DSJ did say he prefers the starting spot not be given to him already and would rather compete for it. Training camp should be fun
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,907

Post#124 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:36 pm

j4remi wrote:

Yeah, I am sure Payton will have a chance. I can see Fiz testing out different starters even during the season. It is hard to say for sure what he will be looking for. Ultimatley, he will want to win so will go with whoever he thinks gives him the best chance.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
melo4three
Senior
And1: 253

Post#125 » by melo4three » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:47 pm

j4remi wrote:

Payton is nice player but has a limited ceiling, dsj is gonna be a star and the sky is his limit so they should go with him to see how far he can take the knicks.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#126 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:58 pm

I think it’s DSJ’s job to lose. But it’s good he’s coming in with mindset to compete and “earn” the starting spot.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,171

Post#127 » by BBALLER4FR » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
BBALLER4FR wrote:DSJr/Payton/Frank
RJ/Trier/Dotson
Knox/Morris/Iggy/Bullock
Randle/Taj
Mitch/Portis

That's what I more or less expect as well.

I'd switch Portis and Taj positionally though (Randle/Portis & Mitch/Taj).

Honest question - why does everyone prefer Taj at the 5 and Portis at the 4? Their height would dictate otherwise plus I'd rather see Taj on the Floor at some points with Mitch for his leadership effects than Portis.
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#128 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:04 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
BBALLER4FR wrote:DSJr/Payton/Frank
RJ/Trier/Dotson
Knox/Morris/Iggy/Bullock
Randle/Taj
Mitch/Portis

Honest question - why does everyone prefer Taj at the 5 and Portis at the 4? Their height would dictate otherwise plus I'd rather see Taj on the Floor at some points with Mitch for his leadership effects than Portis.

If you're going to swap in a defensive presence for Mitch are you going to choose Taj or Bobby? I think that answers the question
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#129 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:06 pm

GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
j4remi wrote:

It's all good.

I'm not sure who will start, but I do think Payton is the best overall PG on the roster.

DSJ as a super sub probably works better for lineup balance, and Frank can slot in as a 3 off the bench next to DSJ and Trier, since they both will command a ton of shots.

I have no idea what Fiz will do though. I really have no feel for his sense of lineup balance.

We don't know what he'll do. Mostly, we're guessing, but I do think Smith will be given every opportunity based on Fiz's apparent fondness for guards who push the pace and attack the paint. If Dennis is draining threes and making a decent amount of feeds he appears to be close to the prototype of player Fizdale was advocating.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#130 » by GONYK » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:16 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

It's all good.

We don't know what he'll do. Mostly, we're guessing, but I do think Smith will be given every opportunity based on Fiz's apparent fondness for guards who push the pace and attack the paint. If Dennis is draining threes and making a decent amount of feeds he appears to be close to the prototype of player Fizdale was advocating.

I'm not disagreeing with that. I just am unsure of the fit with RJ, since he needs the ball in his hands a lot as well.

One of them will have to get comfortable off ball very quickly
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#131 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:24 pm

GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
GONYK wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with that. I just am unsure of the fit with RJ, since he needs the ball in his hands a lot as well.

I don't know if their usage will conflict, but if Smith is able to shoot from three now it will open up his possibilities for off-the-ball activity, i.e. his offense will be less dependent on being the initiator.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#132 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:27 pm

GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Could very easily see dsj having a Chris Paul like season statistically. Without checking I know the bar isn't very high considering the level of separation currently isn't even that much. Probably efficiency is the main differentiator.

Could see dsj and RJ being flip flopped in the backcourt based on matchup.
The usage concern is legit but I think it can be figured out schematically.

The Spurs are game 1, without a namely backcourt. (Demar is usually their SF).
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#133 » by GONYK » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:42 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Could very easily see dsj having a Chris Paul like season statistically. Without checking I know the bar isn't very high considering the level of separation currently isn't even that much. Probably efficiency is the main differentiator.

Could see dsj and RJ and can being flip flopped in the backcourt based on matchup.
The usage concern is legit but I think it can be figured out schematically.

The Spurs are game 1, without a namely backcourt. (Demar is usually their SF).

Matching last year's Chris Paul statistically isn't out of the realm of possibility. Matching Chris Paul's usage is what I'm more interested in.

DSJ has had a top 30 usage rate in the league his whole career. That will have to come down.
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,171

Post#134 » by BBALLER4FR » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:34 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
BBALLER4FR wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

If you're going to swap in a defensive presence for Mitch are you going to choose Taj or Bobby? I think that answers the question

I get that. I'm just saying I want to see Mitch occasionally play alongside a veteran workhorse like Taj. Obviously Taj can't start over Randle but I believe the benefits to having moments where Taj plays alongside of Mitch outweigh subbing them out for one another.
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304

Return to New York Knicks