Max extension for DeRozan?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

What do you think about the idea?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:11 am

Awful
52%
Not very good
38%
Okay
8%
Really good
No votes
Fantastic
2%

Total votes: 50

DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Max extension for DeRozan? 

Post#1 » by DeathLineup » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:11 am

Read on Twitter
#thevillain
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Re: Max extension for DeRozan? 

Post#2 » by Mykhyn » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:15 am

:-(

Assuming we resign poeltl and dejounte that means this is our team basically for 4 or 5 years. Barring a great mle. Not sold
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#3 » by TTP » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:30 am

I would absolutely hate it if I were a Spurs fan but I thought it was a poor decision to pursue him in the first place. I doubt he's even worth it in year one, much less down the line.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#4 » by andyhop » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:13 am

It would reduce my admiration for the Spurs FO by a significant amount.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#5 » by DanishLakerFan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:54 am

It’s a good example of how half-wit writers work these days. I’m sure he’s correct in saying Pop and the Spurs like the current group of guys including Demar Derozan, which is fair. That they haven’t ruled out offering Derozan an extension before the season stars makes sense as well. But i doubt it’s a max extension they have in mind.

But of course, the writer isn’t lying when says that the ”Spurs could give Derozan a max extension”, because it is theoretically possible.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,560

Post#6 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:49 pm

He's worth between $25-30 million annually on a multi year deal this summer when he'll be 31. Its not like he is going to improve his outside shot or defense. They need to trade him along with LaMarcus, cash out and start a proper rebuild. Youre not winning a playoff round anymore with DeMar, LaMarcus, Gay as your focal points.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,785

Post#7 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:53 pm

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:It’s a good example of how half-wit writers work these days. I’m sure he’s correct in saying Pop and the Spurs like the current group of guys including Demar Derozan, which is fair. That they haven’t ruled out offering Derozan an extension before the season stars makes sense as well. But i doubt it’s a max extension they have in mind.

But of course, the writer isn’t lying when says that the ”Spurs could give Derozan a max extension”, because it is theoretically possible.

Yeah it's this. Sensational headline. I also haven't ruled out dating Jennifer Lawrence.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,440

Post#8 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:29 pm

Yikes, RIP.

How do you explain to fans that you gave up Kawhi Leonard to simply max out Demar Derozan or devils advocate how do you explain to fans that you gave up Kawhi Leonard to let Derozan walk?

Kinda a double sided sword.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#9 » by rugbyrugger23 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:47 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:It’s a good example of how half-wit writers work these days. I’m sure he’s correct in saying Pop and the Spurs like the current group of guys including Demar Derozan, which is fair. That they haven’t ruled out offering Derozan an extension before the season stars makes sense as well. But i doubt it’s a max extension they have in mind.

Yeah it's this. Sensational headline. I also haven't ruled out dating Jennifer Lawrence.

This.

In this day and age of click bait battles — max extension headline gets a lot more eyeballs, retweets, clicks, then just reporting the actual facts.

On the flip side, it could be the Spurs organization playing the market. If they aim to trade him, they could be floating he is still a max value player, and trying to get other GMs to think, “what does the magnificent Spurs organization see that I don’t?”

And as a fallback outcome of floating a max contract extension headline now, the Spurs organization can win the court of public opinion once again — when/if they extend DD for anything less than max. “See how great we are, we got a value deal for otherwise a ‘max worthy’ player.” Even though is was their own self imposed value for DD (the good old “see this $500 thing — I am so good I got it for rock bottom deal of $100” — when the actual market rate is $100 in reality).
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#10 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:31 pm

It all depends on the years to me. Two years and I get it— hes a nice transition piece while White/Murray/Walker ramp up. Longer and I get more and more dubious.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:32 pm

Cklbmk wrote::-(

Assuming we resign poeltl and dejounte that means this is our team basically for 4 or 5 years. Barring a great mle. Not sold

Eh, or I assume they think they can at least move the contract for neutral value, which seems about right. IDK I think DeMar is pretty underrated because of his atypical game.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,560

Post#12 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:Yikes, RIP.

How do you explain to fans that you gave up Kawhi Leonard to simply max out Demar Derozan or devils advocate how do you explain to fans that you gave up Kawhi Leonard to let Derozan walk?

Excellent point. Spurs FO seems like they are dammed if they do, damned if they dont in terms of extending DeRozan. Its in best interest of both sides to wait until trade deadline and see where the team is at.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by DeathLineup » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:44 am

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:Yikes, RIP.

This.

Considering that DeRozan was the main return from the Kawhi trade, it won't be a very good look if Spurs let him go.

So I don't think it's fair to say giving DeRozan a max extension is an awful idea. It's just not very good.
#thevillain
andyhop
Analyst

Post#14 » by andyhop » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:01 am

DeathLineup wrote:
Considering that DeRozan was the main return from the Kawhi trade, it won't be a very good look if Spurs let him go.

So I don't think it's fair to say giving DeRozan a max extension is an awful idea. It's just not very good.

That type of thinking is exactly how you come to make terrible decisions.

It is basically finding yourself in a hole and carrying on digging
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by DeathLineup » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:33 am

andyhop wrote:
DeathLineup wrote:

As I stated before, I do think it's not a very good idea. I don't applaud the idea of giving DeRozan a max extension.

But I can't call it an awful idea. I can understand why the Spurs are trying to retain DeRozan. And a max entension might be what it takes to get DeRozan to re-sign.
#thevillain
andyhop
Analyst

Post#16 » by andyhop » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:54 am

DeathLineup wrote:
andyhop wrote:
DeathLineup wrote:

As I stated before, I do think it's not a very good idea. I don't applaud the idea of giving DeRozan a max extension.

But I can't call it an awful idea. I can understand why the Spurs are trying to retain DeRozan. And a max entension might be what it takes to get DeRozan to re-sign.

If they think he is worth it for whatever value he brings then I think they are delusional but thats fine, if they are doing it because he was the big piece in the Kawhi trade to try and make themselves look better then that is a sign of poor management
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#17 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:44 pm

andyhop wrote:It would reduce my admiration for the Spurs FO by a significant amount.

I agree if they can find a deal to move him for some youth or picks they should.
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#18 » by yellowknifer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:59 am

DeRozan has massive intangibles. He is a very good player too. Improved defensively. I don't like a max salary necessarily but definitely in the 30 million a year range.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:19 am

Remember guys. This is a max extension talk that Derozan is eligible for, meaning just a 120% raise over his current salary (which, yes, is still a lot). Not a 35% max salary he would otherwise be “eligible” for. Big difference. A 5 year max contract for him, only possible if he opts out and signs after the end of next season in free agency, would be 5/237. A max extension he’s eligible for is the 5/177 Woj mentions.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by DeathLineup » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:19 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Remember guys. This is a max extension talk that Derozan is eligible for, meaning just a 120% raise over his current salary (which, yes, is still a lot). Not a 35% max salary he would otherwise be “eligible” for. Big difference. A 5 year max contract for him, only possible if he opts out and signs after the end of next season in free agency, would be 5/237. A max extension he’s eligible for is the 5/177 Woj mentions.

This. Basically...

Max entension: 4/$149M
Max contract: 5/$237M

Max extension for DeRozan does not sound ridiculously crazy after all.
#thevillain

Return to Trades and Transactions