ImageImageImage

Visiting Dallas

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,823

Visiting Dallas 

Post#1 » by Tor_Raps » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:53 pm

I will be visiting Dallas this upcoming weekend (Sunday to Wednesday) and wanted to know what are the must do's and don'ts while i'm there. I saw that there are no sporting events so i guess that's out. But what are the places to check out in the evening with a good vibe? I consider myself a big foodie so where are the best wing/rib/steak places?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Re: Visiting Dallas 

Post#2 » by Imon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:52 pm

You've picked a hell of a time to come to Dallas - it's the hottest time of the year right now.
The past few days its been close to 40°C but it's going to dip down a bit, still, you probably shouldn't plan on doing anything outside.
If you do plan on going outside you might check out the Ft Worth Water Gardens. Every time I go down the waterfall pit the water mist feels cool even on a hot day.

You might consider checking out Reunion Tower in Dallas - it's kind of like the CN Tower in Toronto. Nothing too special and the restaurant is only so-so (in my opinion) but it's been about 8 years since I last went up there and they told me I couldn't wear shorts so... ("business casual" apparently)
The BBQ here is pretty good although I don't really eat that much BBQ (I prefer Tex-Mex) but Texas is famous for their briskets so you must try that when you're here. Hard Eight BBQ is pretty good - been there a few times with the family but prepare to stand around outside a bit.
There's a jazz club in Ft Worth I like - Scat Jazz Lounge. If you've never been there it's actually kind of hard to find you have to go down an alley and take a elevator down. I understand there aren't many jazz fans out there but I dig it.
You might also check out Southlake Town Square. I live near there and there's a high concentration of shops and restaurants. Southlake is the rich neighborhood around here (also Preston Hollow in Dallas) which explains the high concentration of sushi restaurants here. :lol:
Gaylord Texan in Grapevine is a hotel/convention center that's pretty interesting. I got to say I've eaten in all the restaurants there and I've been left pretty underwhelmed (particularly the sports bar). So I think people go there more for the view than the grub. Parking needs to validated too which you can do at any restaurant you eat at.

That's all I can think about for now. Honestly, the DFW area is kinda boring but I think anyone who has lived somewhere for awhile would say that. I remember visiting my cousin in NYC when I was in high school and he was telling me there's not much to do in NYC - boy was he wrong.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,823

Post#3 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 am

Imon wrote:You've picked a hell of a time to come to Dallas - it's the hottest time of the year right now.
The past few days its been close to 40°C but it's going to dip down a bit, still, you probably shouldn't plan on doing anything outside.
If you do plan on going outside you might check out the Ft Worth Water Gardens. Every time I go down the waterfall pit the water mist feels cool even on a hot day.

You might consider checking out Reunion Tower in Dallas - it's kind of like the CN Tower in Toronto. Nothing too special and the restaurant is only so-so (in my opinion) but it's been about 8 years since I last went up there and they told me I couldn't wear shorts so... ("business casual" apparently)
The BBQ here is pretty good although I don't really eat that much BBQ (I prefer Tex-Mex) but Texas is famous for their briskets so you must try that when you're here. Hard Eight BBQ is pretty good - been there a few times with the family but prepare to stand around outside a bit.
There's a jazz club in Ft Worth I like - Scat Jazz Lounge. If you've never been there it's actually kind of hard to find you have to go down an alley and take a elevator down. I understand there aren't many jazz fans out there but I dig it.
You might also check out Southlake Town Square. I live near there and there's a high concentration of shops and restaurants. Southlake is the rich neighborhood around here (also Preston Hollow in Dallas) which explains the high concentration of sushi restaurants here. :lol:
Gaylord Texan in Grapevine is a hotel/convention center that's pretty interesting. I got to say I've eaten in all the restaurants there and I've been left pretty underwhelmed (particularly the sports bar). So I think people go there more for the view than the grub. Parking needs to validated too which you can do at any restaurant you eat at.

That's all I can think about for now. Honestly, the DFW area is kinda boring but I think anyone who has lived somewhere for awhile would say that. I remember visiting my cousin in NYC when I was in high school and he was telling me there's not much to do in NYC - boy was he wrong.

Thanks so much... im travelling for work but will have a few days to do whatever I'd like. I'll def check out the water park, Southlake town and the BBQ spot.

Not a fan of jazz or sushi so will probably have to pass on that lol.

If there's any nice chilled spot to spend the evenings, that's what I'd be looking for.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#4 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:53 am

Shops of Legacy or Uptown Dallas for nightlife I guess. Downtown nightlife sucks though, lol.

Velvet Taco is a popular spot for food.

Hard Eight is good for BBQ, but so is Lockhart Smokehouse. Off the Bone and Slow Bone are popular too.

If you want a burger, then there's Maple & Motor, Twisted Root (very popular), Scotty P's in the north Dallas burbs, Keller's Drive-In, Wingfield's and such.

Check out Dealy Plaza though and the 6th floor museum. I personally liked the museum at the George W. Bush Presidential Center and then there's the Cowgirl Museum in Fort Worth, the International Bowling Hall of Fame and museum in Arlington (close to where the Cowboys and Rangers play their home games), and the National Soccer Hall of Fame up in Frisco. National Video Game Museum is also in Frisco.

For Steak, try out these places
3 Forks
Kenny's Wood Fired Grill
Nick & Sam's
Al Biernat's
Perry's
Bob's Steak and Chop House

For Pizza try these places
Canne Rosso
Picasso's
Eno's
Serious Pizza
Campisi's (roots with Dallas mob, lol)

Wings:
Wingstop
Pluckers
Wing Bucket
Wings World

Local Chain Fast Food/Fast Casual:
Taco Bueno
Zoe's Kitchen
Corner Bakery
La Madeleine
Wingstop
Which Wich
Mongolian Grill
Burger Street

Other Things To See:
Reunion Tower
Calatrava String Bridge
Fountain Place
Klyde Warren Park
Dallas Cowboys Practice Facility (The Star) --> They have a football field open to the public on their grounds and restaurants nearby
Nebraska Furniture Mart (lol)
Lake Lewisville, Lake Grapevine, etc..
Sundance Square in Fort Worth (great bar scene)
Lower Greenville Ave (bar scene in Dallas, can be kinda trashy though)
The Village at Allen
AAC
Cowboys/AT&T Stadium
Globe Life Park

If you want to see some big houses
Southlake (also home to Southlake Town Square)
Highland Park (close to where SMU is)
Preston Hollow

Stuff In Dallas That Might Not Be In Other Cities:
QT Gas Station (try a chicken taquito from inside)
Steak N Shake
Taco Cabana

Places To Shop:
Grapevine Outlet Mall
Stonebriar Mall
Allen Outlets
Stanley Korshack
Neiman Marcus flagship store
Jack Mason (headquartered in DFW)
Haggar (headquartered in DFW)
JCPenney (headquartered in DFW)
Fossil (headquartered in DFW)
Tuesday Morning (headquartered in DFW)
Michael's (headquartered in DFW)

Other Fun Venues:
Top Golf
Pin Stack Bowl
Main Event
Studio Movie Grill
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#5 » by Imon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:24 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
Spoiler:
Shops of Legacy or Uptown Dallas for nightlife I guess. Downtown nightlife sucks though, lol.

Velvet Taco is a popular spot for food.

Hard Eight is good for BBQ, but so is Lockhart Smokehouse. Off the Bone and Slow Bone are popular too.

If you want a burger, then there's Maple & Motor, Twisted Root (very popular), Scotty P's in the north Dallas burbs, Keller's Drive-In, Wingfield's and such.

Check out Dealy Plaza though and the 6th floor museum. I personally liked the museum at the George W. Bush Presidential Center and then there's the Cowgirl Museum in Fort Worth, the International Bowling Hall of Fame and museum in Arlington (close to where the Cowboys and Rangers play their home games), and the National Soccer Hall of Fame up in Frisco. National Video Game Museum is also in Frisco.

For Steak, try out these places
3 Forks
Kenny's Wood Fired Grill
Nick & Sam's
Al Biernat's
Perry's
Bob's Steak and Chop House

Spoiler:
For Pizza try these places
Canne Rosso
Picasso's
Eno's
Serious Pizza
Campisi's (roots with Dallas mob, lol)

Wings:
Wingstop
Pluckers
Wing Bucket
Wings World

Local Chain Fast Food/Fast Casual:
Taco Bueno
Zoe's Kitchen
Corner Bakery
La Madeleine
Wingstop
Which Wich
Mongolian Grill
Burger Street

Other Things To See:
Reunion Tower
Calatrava String Bridge
Fountain Place
Klyde Warren Park
Dallas Cowboys Practice Facility (The Star) --> They have a football field open to the public on their grounds and restaurants nearby
Nebraska Furniture Mart (lol)
Lake Lewisville, Lake Grapevine, etc..
Sundance Square in Fort Worth (great bar scene)
Lower Greenville Ave (bar scene in Dallas, can be kinda trashy though)
The Village at Allen
AAC
Cowboys/AT&T Stadium
Globe Life Park

If you want to see some big houses
Southlake (also home to Southlake Town Square)
Highland Park (close to where SMU is)
Preston Hollow

Stuff In Dallas That Might Not Be In Other Cities:
QT Gas Station (try a chicken taquito from inside)
Steak N Shake
Taco Cabana

Places To Shop:
Grapevine Outlet Mall
Stonebriar Mall
Allen Outlets
Stanley Korshack
Neiman Marcus flagship store
Jack Mason (headquartered in DFW)
Haggar (headquartered in DFW)
JCPenney (headquartered in DFW)
Fossil (headquartered in DFW)
Tuesday Morning (headquartered in DFW)
Michael's (headquartered in DFW)

Other Fun Venues:
Top Golf
Pin Stack Bowl
Main Event
Studio Movie Grill

Yeah, I was gonna mention Nick and Sam's but I forgot. :lol:
It's apparently one of Luka's favorite restaurants in the area (won't help him with his fight to lose weight).
Just be aware it can get kind of pricey ... like no price on the menu kind of expensive.
Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Post#6 » by Lowtech801 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:35 pm

Best steak : Nick and Sams

Best bbq: Cattleack but they're only open Thursday & Friday and the 1st Saturday of the month plus you gotta get there when they open or even before they open cuz the line is ridiculous. Also pecan lodge and hard 8 are good bbq spots.

Gallo nero is a good italian spot in lower greenville. Also buca di beppo is good but they serve family size portions only so not great for only one or two people.

Pizza: campisi, zalat or serious pizza

If you want a place with a lot of good options the food hall at Legacy West is a good choice.

For burgers Maple & Motor, Haystack and Grub burger bar

As far as night life best option is uptown as there are a lot of places close together with a nice chill vibe.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using RealGM mobile app
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:08 am

The city of Richardson is known for their hookah lounges. Salah Mejri was seen at Cairo's, which is a popular spot.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#8 » by bobsquad » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:53 am

Don't expect much to do downtown in Dallas. Tourists frequently express to me how dead the downtown area is, especially given the expectations of its "flashy" skyline. Fort Worth, on the other hand, has a nice, walkable shopping and entertainment district in its downtown.

Speaking of Fort Worth, if you find yourself on that side of the Metroplex...
* Kincaid's (a chain, but only in Fort Worth) is my all time favorite "no frills" burger.
* Clay Pigeon is an UTR spot that would probably have a Michelin star if they gave those in Texas.
* If by chance you're 21-27, Caves in Arlington is the place to be bar-wise. (Can only speak for that age group!)
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:21 am

Rodeo Goat is good for a burger too.
People seem to like Katy Trail Ice House as well.
Speaking of, when you Google Katy Trail Ice House, you can find some other popular spots
https://www.google.com/search?ei=sRVVXYuVF4TmtQWTsa3AAw&q=katy+trail+ice+house+dallas&oq=Katy+Trai&gs_l=psy-ab.3.0.0i67l2j0l8.13143.15399..16118...0.0..0.229.1201.3j5j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0i131j0i131i67.hOBArXNiKdo

Return to Dallas Mavericks