Chris Paul to Philly

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,780

Chris Paul to Philly 

Post#1 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:02 am

OKC out: Paul, Gallo, Nader, Muscala
OKC in: Whiteside, Dieng, Little

Thunder get going on the rebuild.

POR out: Whiteside, Collins, Little
POR in: Horford, Nader, Scott

Blazers get an elite PF that fits well for Dames prime.

MIN out: RoCo, Dieng
MIN in: Gallo, Collins

Wolves cut salary and get good players.

PHI out: Horford, Scott
PHI in: CP, RoCo, Muscala

Sixers move Simmons to PF get a starting PG and much more depth.
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Re: Chris Paul to Philly 

Post#2 » by SmokeyPaw » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:37 am

Definite no from wolves. Want a young prospect for roco but collins isnt it. Expect wolves to hold out for a big wing or pg.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,141

Post#3 » by marcush » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:53 am

No thanks for Sixers.
Diamondman07
Pro Prospect
And1: 266

Post#4 » by Diamondman07 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:25 am

I like it for Portland, adding Horford for 2 projects is a good move

OKC moves CP3, brings in a prospect and moves enough talent to tank is good for them

Wolves I feel like they are adding win now Pieces and they should be looking to get some pieces 2-3 years out and cheap versus an expiring Gallo for Roco

Horford is welll more valuable in my opinion than CP3, so sixers say no
THREE Time Dunn Elementary Paper Air Plane launch champion
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#5 » by Chris76 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:43 am

Diamondman07 wrote:I like it for Portland, adding Horford for 2 projects is a good move

OKC moves CP3, brings in a prospect and moves enough talent to tank is good for them

Wolves I feel like they are adding win now Pieces and they should be looking to get some pieces 2-3 years out and cheap versus an expiring Gallo for Roco

Horford is welll more valuable in my opinion than CP3, so sixers say no

I agree Horford should fit well with Simmons and Embiid.

CP3 could fit too, but he would take the ball out of Simmons hands, which lessens his impact (Butler experiment).

Sixers have several options to defend quick Pgs. Richardson, Ennis, Zhaire, and Thybulle could fill that role allowing Simmons to defend bigger scorers.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,379

Post#6 » by Myth » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:49 pm

This is tough for Portland. Horford makes Portland better for a year or 2, but his contract is quite huge for a 33 year old. If Portland thinks they can win it all in next 2 years, maybe go for it, but this hurts them beyond that. I don't think he fits that well in Dame's timeline given Dame is 4 years younger, while almost all the rest of the important team members are younger than Dame. Whiteside might be close enough to Horford to not sacrafice the future with this switch.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#7 » by youngcrev » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:57 pm

It's interesting player-wise, but the Sixers cap be a little out of hand
expatbayern
Senior
And1: 213

Post#8 » by expatbayern » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:08 pm

Myth wrote:This is tough for Portland. Horford makes Portland better for a year or 2, but his contract is quite huge for a 33 year old. If Portland thinks they can win it all in next 2 years, maybe go for it, but this hurts them beyond that. I don't think he fits that well in Dame's timeline given Dame is 4 years younger, while almost all the rest of the important team members are younger than Dame. Whiteside might be close enough to Horford to not sacrafice the future with this switch.

I'd do it for PDX. I think Horford's skill set will age really well, and unlike Whiteside he can play at least some of the time next to Nurkic once he's back (in addition to filling in for him at the 5).

Portland would still need one more move to address the forward spots (I once proposed a Bazemore/filler/1st for Iggy/Crowder that seemed pretty well received) but then I think you'd have a real contender in a wide-open year

Edit: forgot to mention I don't think it works at all for Philly, though, so this is pretty hypothetical.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Philly obviously the hardest sell here. Wanted to try something different in a CP trade.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#10 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:56 pm

Love this for Minnesota, OKC, and Portland.

No brainer from Minny. Swap Gallo for Covington, but get Collins in the process. They could probably move Gallo for more value. And they get off Dieng? Thats a sweetheart deal. Love Collins next to Towns long term. With Culver, thats a nice core.

For Portland, it really hurts to lose both Collins/Little, but the time is now. Horford/Nurk could bully down low and provide ELITE defense. With CJ/Lillard locked in for scoring.

OKC, moves off Paul and gets Little. Take on Dieng and give up Gallo, but its worth it.

Just not sure about Philly. Obviously they just signed Horford because they think he fits well next to/behind Embid. It also moves SImmons out of the lead guard spot. I think this is actually a better team though. The more I think about it, they should go for it. This is probably the best year to do so, Durant is out, LAC/LAL is still building chemistry, Klay is hurt. If they win 1 ship its worth it.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#11 » by pacers33granger » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:00 pm

If Philly is going to entertain a deal like this I think they need to get a more usable big back than Muscala. This trade leaves them with basically just KOQ for when Embiid sits and also sends out their backup stretch PF (Scott).
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:05 pm

pacers33granger wrote:If Philly is going to entertain a deal like this I think they need to get a more usable big back than Muscala. This trade leaves them with basically just KOQ for when Embiid sits and also sends out their backup stretch PF (Scott).

If Noel would agree I'd send him to Philly. Or Minny could send Bell. Not sure, but it's an issue here definitely. Scott is needed for salary, otherwise I'd be happy to leave him out. I also couldn't reasonably add more players, it's already an unwieldy trade.

Folks can correct me here but I think Simmons best defensive position would be PF? And Harris can play it as well. My thinking was CP plays somewhat limited minutes in the RS, like 25 or so, and when he sits they run a lineup of:

Simmons/JRich/Roco/Harris/Embiid

CP would "start" and close but I'd try to have lineups where it's CP and the shooters in the middle of the game.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#13 » by Woody Allen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:09 pm

I know Chris Paul is the worst, oldest, most expensive player ever (and I even saw a thread that called him a team cancer) but I like this trade for Philly. The Horford - Embiid frontcourt is excessive, especially for 2020 (and the team is lacking everywhere else). Especially with RoCo added in, they become a much bigger threat than they are.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#14 » by pacers33granger » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:11 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
If Noel would agree I'd send him to Philly. Or Minny could send Bell. Not sure, but it's an issue here definitely. Scott is needed for salary, otherwise I'd be happy to leave him out.

I know the team is different in nearly all ways now, but I doubt Noel would agree. Would be a nice backup to Embiid though.

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Folks can correct me here but I think Simmons best defensive position would be PF? And Harris can play it as well.

My issue stems more from the backup center minutes than the PF minutes. Presumably a big part of getting Horford was to have high level play at the C spot for nearly all 48 minutes and primarily to help with resting Embiid. With this trade they'd be relying on a combination of Muscala, KOQ, and Bolden (?) to man the spot when he sits.

The trade certainly fills a couple weaknesses of Philly, but at the expense of a strength that appears to be of high importance to them.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#15 » by youngcrev » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:11 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:If Philly is going to entertain a deal like this I think they need to get a more usable big back than Muscala. This trade leaves them with basically just KOQ for when Embiid sits and also sends out their backup stretch PF (Scott).

If Noel would agree I'd send him to Philly. Or Minny could send Bell. Not sure, but it's an issue here definitely. Scott is needed for salary, otherwise I'd be happy to leave him out.

Folks can correct me here but I think Simmons best defensive position would be PF? And Harris can play it as well. My thinking was CP plays somewhat limited minutes in the RS, like 25 or so, and when he sits they run a lineup of:

Simmons/JRich/Roco/Harris/Embiid

CP would "start" and close but I'd try to have lineups where it's CP and the shooters in the middle of the game.

Simmons best defensive position is probably SF. I don't think he likes banging with guys in the paint. He can definitely play there though. And it might be the best place to slot Harris.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:30 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

I know the team is different in nearly all ways now, but I doubt Noel would agree. Would be a nice backup to Embiid though.

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Folks can correct me here but I think Simmons best defensive position would be PF? And Harris can play it as well.

My issue stems more from the backup center minutes than the PF minutes. Presumably a big part of getting Horford was to have high level play at the C spot for nearly all 48 minutes and primarily to help with resting Embiid. With this trade they'd be relying on a combination of Muscala, KOQ, and Bolden (?) to man the spot when he sits.

The trade certainly fills a couple weaknesses of Philly, but at the expense of a strength that appears to be of high importance to them.

Noah is still on the street. But I definitely get that a backup C is a big priority with potential injury/rest for Embiid.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#17 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:52 pm

I don’t think trading someone immediately after you sign them is a good look, so I don’t see Philly trading Horford.

But assuming they do, I don’t think OKC gets Little here, I think he has to go to either Minnesota or Philly. Probably Minnesota, and someone should send Philly a second.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#18 » by eminence » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:09 pm

I'm not sure on Philly as they're obviously pretty high on Horford's fit. And actually don't like it for OKC at all, Whiteside and a recent 25th pick is a pretty meh rebuild, I think they could wait and get more than that (or just be moderately competitive on their own while the picks roll in).
I bought a boat.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:19 pm

eminence wrote:I'm not sure on Philly as they're obviously pretty high on Horford's fit. And actually don't like it for OKC at all, Whiteside and a recent 25th pick is a pretty meh rebuild, I think they could wait and get more than that (or just be moderately competitive on their own while the picks roll in).

I'm hoping for a better return for CP, but with the current thinking on this board and amongst the talking heads consensus seems to be he won't return any positive value even with a bad contract. I chose this as a middle ground for conversation.
bigmean
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#20 » by bigmean » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:58 am

Cant do it.... causes major depth problems for philly... even if you move harris back to 4. Scott is thete sixth man

Return to Trades and Transactions