Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,307

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#61 » by Bornstellar » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:18 am

AwkwardBoogaloo wrote:This will be an unpopular opinion, but I think Anthony Davis is one of the most overrated players in the NBA. 7 seasons in the league and only 2 playoff appearances. The 5 years that they didn't make they playoffs, their record was under .500. Only been out of the 1st round once. Off the top of my head I can't think of another player who consistently loses and is still considered a 'superstar'.

As for LMA, he isn't overrated... if anything he's underrated. The amount of times he's made the playoffs in the Western conference speaks for itself.

100% agree with you. Anthony Davis is the epitome of empty stats guy. For such a "generational" talent like him he sure hasnt done jack s*** in his career that translated to any winning. And his teams haven't been great but other players have taken worse teams further.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,666

Post#62 » by G R E Y » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:36 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:And yes, if you watch you see LaMarcus really is a defensive anchor down low for us. He's taken on the responsibility to improve on that end all the while keeping up his O numbers well. He's shouldered the team and kept things steady through some turbulent times. His even keeled demeanour perhaps contributes to his being underappreciated at least outside of SA, but these last couple of years especially he's really risen to the anchor role and appreciation for his value has as well. He got a mural and everything.

Aldridge's defense was originally the key reason why he was underrated. He's a good defender who should simply approach offense differently. I could quibble about just how good his defense is (good but not a defensive star) but my bigger issue is the notion that he has an even-keeled demeanor. Dude demanded a trade from your team a year after being unhappy on his previous team.

I have no doubt that when he feels the right kind of fawning from those around him that he can play the part of the noble leader, but when the wind blows the other way, he's got a very different track record.

My broader point about LMA was that he's grown, and so descriptions such as 'demanded a trade' when a request to Pop was made and then in fact he and Pop sat down, talked things through, and there was acknowledgement on both sides of working together better shows that it was a situation that was handled maturely. He even re-signed after that. When that instance is looked at in totality rather than isolating one aspect, the story is really a positive one. He was acknowledged as the steadying presence the last couple of turbulent years publicly by Pop and his teammates, so don't take my word for it. But I've watched every game, every interview I could, so in fairness you may not have come across those.

Not sure where the fawning comment comes from, but if it's rooted in past behaviour, my sense is that you're attributing that to the present and it's clouding who and where he is now. Sure players at this level have egos and what makes them tick is different one from the next. From what I've witnessed and those around him have attested to, that need to have others fawn over him does not fit, though he's received plenty of praise, rightfully so when he's played well. The fit with Leonard may not have been there, and to whatever extent it was a LMA issue, it was decidedly a Leonard one as well. That LMA played so smoothly with more willing team-wide passing isn't that the team deferred, but that they all played well together. LMA is a rhythm-from-volume scorer and so he needs to get his shots in his spots, but he's also improved in making faster decisions with the ball even from last season to the one before (but we relied on him far more two seasons ago as well, so there's that). LMA gets on great with DeMar, though that openness is a two-way street, and he is a 'big bro' to the younger guys. They all like one another, and that's a fit that you can see on the court as well.

He IS amenable, and he can and has adapted while getting his. For a team comprised of half new players and another star to share with, the system and LMA did well within it. It frankly worked better than I thought given all the changes going into last season. LMA, as the steady anchor, was central to facilitating that.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,932

Post#63 » by Ice Trae » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:18 am

"mid-range shooting albatross" that one got me good op :lol:
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#64 » by Baski » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:13 am

VanWest82 wrote:
BNM wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:Gotta underrated small forward to add with this crew? This would be a fun team to watch I think.

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app

Robert Covington.

Joe Ingles and Rudy Gay are good candidates too though Covington might be the better fit because he's strictly 3+D. You could make an all underrated team with just Spurs players.

Covington gets a lot of love though. Ingles too. Gay had that early "tank commander" reputation plus the Achilles injury so he's fallen under the radar. Otto Porter would be a great fit on that team.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,844

Post#65 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:16 am

Dead on OP, he's as soft as it gets and runs like a dork. Most overrated player in nba history, what a bum.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#66 » by Scalabrine » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:18 am

PockyCandy wrote:
Colbinii wrote:I think RealGM generally does a good job of player assessment. I think Kawhi and Giannis are a little overrated but nothing major. I have seen Klay Thompson get overrated as well. Some people overrate the 90s as a whole but for the most part, as I said above, the community is filled with relatively intelligent people which spills over well to basketball assessment and analysis.

As a moderator on this board, I'd respectfully disagree with your opinion. The amount of trolls who post only to get a rise out of someone else has increased exponentially since I joined in 2015.

If you joined in 2015 how would you know it's increased exponentially?
Go Knicks!
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#67 » by Baski » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:24 am

Bornstellar wrote:
AwkwardBoogaloo wrote:This will be an unpopular opinion, but I think Anthony Davis is one of the most overrated players in the NBA. 7 seasons in the league and only 2 playoff appearances. The 5 years that they didn't make they playoffs, their record was under .500. Only been out of the 1st round once. Off the top of my head I can't think of another player who consistently loses and is still considered a 'superstar'.

As for LMA, he isn't overrated... if anything he's underrated. The amount of times he's made the playoffs in the Western conference speaks for itself.

100% agree with you. Anthony Davis is the epitome of empty stats guy. For such a "generational" talent like him he sure hasnt done jack s*** in his career that translated to any winning. And his teams haven't been great but other players have taken worse teams further.

Spot on. What kills me is the push to name him as some historical great when the actual greats were all able to push their teams much further than he has. When this is brought up you hear some ridiculous argument about how Anthony Davis is so uniquely unlucky that the basketball gods decided to bestow upon him the most negative players of all time as teammates, whose role is to actively negate any positive impact he provides.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#68 » by JazzUte88 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:06 am

Yuri Vaultin wrote:Donovan Mitchell?

Seems to be an inefficient chucker.

I mean, if Donovan has another playoff stinker like the Rockets series last season, then yes, there's some validity to what you're saying. Donovan was pretty damn good in the 2nd half of the season last year, so.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Post#69 » by Gus McCrae » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:26 am

jamaalstar21 wrote:He's like 80% of Marc Gasol

Which is interesting because the name “Marc Gasol” makes up 80% of the name “Lamarcus Aldridge”, phonetically speaking.
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,298

Post#70 » by Side beard » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:10 am

Scorpion King wrote:Kyle Kuzma -
Jayson Tatum
Montrez Harrel
Zion Williamson
Pascal Siakam
Mitch Robinson

Why are you mentioning these 1-3 year players in here?
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,039

Post#71 » by Capn'O » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:13 am

LaMarcus is awesome. Please don't sully his fine name.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#72 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:And yes, if you watch you see LaMarcus really is a defensive anchor down low for us. He's taken on the responsibility to improve on that end all the while keeping up his O numbers well. He's shouldered the team and kept things steady through some turbulent times. His even keeled demeanour perhaps contributes to his being underappreciated at least outside of SA, but these last couple of years especially he's really risen to the anchor role and appreciation for his value has as well. He got a mural and everything.

Aldridge's defense was originally the key reason why he was underrated. He's a good defender who should simply approach offense differently. I could quibble about just how good his defense is (good but not a defensive star) but my bigger issue is the notion that he has an even-keeled demeanor. Dude demanded a trade from your team a year after being unhappy on his previous team.

I have no doubt that when he feels the right kind of fawning from those around him that he can play the part of the noble leader, but when the wind blows the other way, he's got a very different track record.

My broader point about LMA was that he's grown, and so descriptions such as 'demanded a trade' when a request to Pop was made and then in fact he and Pop sat down, talked things through, and there was acknowledgement on both sides of working together better shows that it was a situation that was handled maturely. He even re-signed after that. When that instance is looked at in totality rather than isolating one aspect, the story is really a positive one. He was acknowledged as the steadying presence the last couple of turbulent years publicly by Pop and his teammates, so don't take my word for it. But I've watched every game, every interview I could, so in fairness you may not have come across those.

Not sure where the fawning comment comes from, but if it's rooted in past behaviour, my sense is that you're attributing that to the present and it's clouding who and where he is now. Sure players at this level have egos and what makes them tick is different one from the next. From what I've witnessed and those around him have attested to, that need to have others fawn over him does not fit, though he's received plenty of praise, rightfully so when he's played well. The fit with Leonard may not have been there, and to whatever extent it was a LMA issue, it was decidedly a Leonard one as well. That LMA played so smoothly with more willing team-wide passing isn't that the team deferred, but that they all played well together. LMA is a rhythm-from-volume scorer and so he needs to get his shots in his spots, but he's also improved in making faster decisions with the ball even from last season to the one before (but we relied on him far more two seasons ago as well, so there's that). LMA gets on great with DeMar, though that openness is a two-way street, and he is a 'big bro' to the younger guys. They all like one another, and that's a fit that you can see on the court as well.

He IS amenable, and he can and has adapted while getting his. For a team comprised of half new players and another star to share with, the system and LMA did well within it. It frankly worked better than I thought given all the changes going into last season. LMA, as the steady anchor, was central to facilitating that.

I appreciate your Spur specific perspective here. My feelings remain about the same but appreciate hearing what you see.

I think the key here is "big fish in small pond" syndrome. Big fishes, so long as they are confident they'll stay big fishes, tend to be very confident. Confident people have a relatively easy time being generous. "Magnanimous" is the specific term that comes to mind.

When you're the big fish and you sacrifice for others you're "magnanimous".
When you're the sidekick and you sacrifice for the big fish, you're doing what you damn well better do.

It feels very different, and in some the latter can cause confidence issues that lead to people to wonder if the grass is greener elsewhere. In his prime, Aldridge did this repeatedly and that's a major dealbreaker for me.

I can forgive rookie contract bad behavior pretty easily, but when you cause problems during both your second and third contracts, then that's what your prime self acted like, and that lowers my assessment of your prime.

Not that it's not nice to see former brats turn into great teammates after they cease being stars (a la Vince Carter), but let's just say I'd rate Carter a lot higher if he'd figured this stuff out back when he had the physical ability to be a franchise player.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
GusT15
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,272

Post#73 » by GusT15 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:33 am

I've said this before about LaMarcus Aldridge and i'll say it again.

Aldridge is an All-Star NBA player,who had all the tools and talent to be a Superstar,yet he never made the jump,and during very frequent time periods he plays like a scrub.

Aldridge is strong as a ox.He can bully ball in the post.He has a silky smooth midrange jumper.He makes his FTs.He can pass the ball-but he doesn't like to.He has a good defensive iq.He can provide help defense in the post and he can body check every bigman out there.

Aldridge also has one the weirder mentalities in the game.
He gets dissapointed so damn easily.Not in the anxious/scared DeRozan way.Once things don't go his way,he mentally checks out.His j isn't dropping? He stops shooting.He doesn't touch the ball on offense? He stops trailing on fast breaks.His guards didn't pass him the ball? He doesn't provide coverage on defense.

His mentality/attitude towards the game has hurt him and his teams tremendously.
One of the best big men long 2s-Jump Shooter,refusing to expand his range just a bit further to the 3pt line? Why? Frustrating and inexcusable.He could be Brook Lopez on steroids if he was willing to transform his game just a bit.

So,in conclusion,nah he's not overrated.
What he is though,at 34 years old,for his career/legacy and current version,is not what he could be nor what he should be.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Post#74 » by basketballRob » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:40 am

Delete
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Post#75 » by basketballRob » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:48 am

You could argue that any player that rated solely on offense and plays below average defense is overrated.

I always thought Blake Griffin and Love were overrated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#76 » by gorz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:08 am

Ben SImmons..not a superstar nor will he be but talked about as such.

NIkola Jokic is not a top 10 player and not better than Embiid or Towns for that matter.
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,227

Post#77 » by Tracymcgoaty » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 am

Wasn''t Embiid Called a better version of Hakeem?

So Embiid
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
C-Melo Man
Junior
And1: 197

Post#78 » by C-Melo Man » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:25 am

gorz wrote:Ben SImmons..not a superstar nor will he be but talked about as such.

NIkola Jokic is not a top 10 player and not better than Embiid or Towns for that matter.

I can understand that it's a debate between Jokic & Embiid, but how is Jokic not better than Karl Anthony-Towns at this point? Before Jimmy Butler came, he didn't make the playoffs at all. Also, as talented as big KAT is offensively & I like him, he's a worse defender than Jokic, not a better passer & about the same rebounding wise. He doesn't have the b-ball IQ that Nikola possesses either. They're both great players, but I'll take Jokic over Towns right now & most likely in the future unless Towns proves he can be a leader for his team with that max contract he has.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#79 » by The_Hater » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:27 am

jazzfan1971 wrote:I don't get the love for LA. An All-Star (IN THE WEST) last year. I just got out of a thread where he was called a defensive anchor.

To my eye he is a mid-range shooting albatross that doesn't play much defense. ESPN RPM has him ranked as the 20th center in the league. I agree with ESPN. I don't see why he was an All-Star last year, and I don't see why he's on the list of potential guys for the top 25 players in the league here on the general board.

Must be something to do with counting stats.

Anyway, Who do you think is the most over-rated player in the league? Less deserving of being an All-Star or on an all NBA team?

Who you got?

For starters, his one-dimensional teammate Demar Derozan is more overrated.

And while he’s no Rudy Gobert but he is a good defensive player. One of the few bigs that can guard both inside and outside effectively.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#80 » by Showdown » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:43 pm

JAFRO, Denver players, Doncic, Brook Lopez, Middleton, Brogdon

Return to The General Board