Kobe vs LeBron finals would not have been as good as people think

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,655

Re: Kobe vs LeBron finals would not have been as good as people think 

Post#21 » by XxIronChainzxX » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:04 am

Gooner wrote:
Blazers-1977 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:OT, one is 5-2 in the Finals and the other 3-6 but I'm supposed to chalk that up to everyone except them. Seems fishy.

And Kobe played with a Peak Shaq for 3 of those titles , and never played a team which added the 2nd best player in the league after they made back to back finals

Kobe never had a big 3, like LeBron had, twice.

Lol. Kobe played with a top 10 guy all time in his prime. The idea of comparing Kyrie + Kevin Love or even Wade + Bosh to that is silly.

If you team up LeBron with prime Jordan you can give them the 10-72 Philly 76ers and they win the title in a rout.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#22 » by Gooner » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:04 am

pr0wler wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:OT, one is 5-2 in the Finals and the other 3-6 but I'm supposed to chalk that up to everyone except them. Seems fishy.

I never knew LeBron played with one of the greatest centers of all-time, and must've forgot when the Lakers had to face the most talented team ever assembled multiple years in a row. Oh wait.

The heatles were supposed to be the most talented team ever assembled. How did that end? Two finals losses, that famous choke in 2011, and the loss by the biggest margin in NBA finals history in 2014.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#23 » by Gooner » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:08 am

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
Gooner wrote:
Blazers-1977 wrote:
And Kobe played with a Peak Shaq for 3 of those titles , and never played a team which added the 2nd best player in the league after they made back to back finals

Lol. Kobe played with a top 10 guy all time in his prime. The idea of comparing Kyrie + Kevin Love or even Wade + Bosh to that is silly.

If you team up LeBron with prime Jordan you can give them the 10-72 Philly 76ers and they win the title in a rout.

Kobe is a top 10 guy all time himself, he proved it when he won 2 without Shaq, who only won one after he left. Wade was a first option to Shaq in Miami, and he had one of the best finals in history. Comparing he and Bosh together to Shaq is not silly. It's a lot of help, but you still have to win, and LeBron lost two finals with Miami badly.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,655

Post#24 » by XxIronChainzxX » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:10 am

Gooner wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:
Gooner wrote:

Kobe is a top 10 guy all time himself, he proved it when he won 2 without Shaq, who only won one after he left. Wade was a first option to Shaq in Miami, and he had one of the best finals in history. Comparing he and Bosh together to Shaq is not silly. It's a lot of help, but you still have to win, and LeBron lost two finals with Miami badly.

Kobe's not top 10. His peak isn't good enough. He's in that low 15 range. But if you're right, that makes the comparison even more idiotic.

So on the one hand we've got two of the 10 greatest human beings at basketball ever, in their primes, for 3 titles.

On the other side, we have Chris Bosh and old man Wade.

You're so blinded by hate for LeBron that you can't even appreciate the knots you're twisting yourself in to try and discredit him.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#25 » by Gooner » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 am

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
Gooner wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:

Kobe's not top 10. His peak isn't good enough. He's in that low 15 range. But if you're right, that makes the comparison even more idiotic.

So on the one hand we've got two of the 10 greatest human beings at basketball ever, in their primes, for 3 titles.

On the other side, we have Chris Bosh and old man Wade.

You're so blinded by hate for LeBron that you can't even appreciate the knots you're twisting yourself in to try and discredit him.

Wade was 28 when LeBron joined. Shaq and Kobe did what they were supposed to do, which was a three-peat. Not many teams in the history have done it. LeBron's superteams never did it.
NeutralObserver
Senior
And1: 1,134

Post#26 » by NeutralObserver » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:07 am

Lol. So the cliff notes of this thread:

2009:
"LeBron's team would've been outmatched (Even though they won 60+ games)".

2007, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018:
"LeBron's team was outmatched."

Props to the people who REALLY believe that they can keep up with the mental gymnastics of LeBron stans.

Newsflash: To his cult-like fanbase, LeBron's teammates will NEVER be good unless they win a championship.
NeutralObserver
Senior

Post#27 » by NeutralObserver » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:13 am

Lol @ people scoffing at LeBron playing alongside Dwayne Wade, whose arguably the 3rd-5th best SG of all-time.

Why not admit that LeBron has had GREAT teammates but failed to maximize the talent around him?

Kobe almost 3peated in the West with Shannon Brown, DJ Mbenga, Vujecic, and Jordan Farmer receiving significant playing time.

Let that sink in...

The level of delusion is impressive.
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,158

Post#28 » by Tracymcgoaty » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:18 am

JordansBulls wrote:2009 Cavs had Ben Wallace and 2010 Cavs had Shaq, both of which won titles for franchises.

Age is just a number it's all about how you feel on the inside!
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,897

Post#29 » by thebigbird » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:38 am

Lebron is a vastly superior player than Kobe. There's really no reason to compare the two. Compare Kobe to players in the 11-20 ranking where he belongs.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,165

Post#30 » by iLLmatic860 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:41 am

Wouldve drew crazy ratings tho
NeutralObserver
Senior

Post#31 » by NeutralObserver » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:18 pm

thebigbird wrote:Lebron is a vastly superior player than Kobe. There's really no reason to compare the two. Compare Kobe to players in the 11-20 ranking where he belongs.

Compare LeBron to the list of players who couldn't make the playoffs in a competitive conference...in the bracket that he belongs.
AussieRules
Starter
And1: 2,002

Post#32 » by AussieRules » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Imon wrote:I dunno about the 2011 Lakers.
Kobe's supporting cast was actually pretty good it's just that the key guys on that Lakers team weren't playing to their potential.

IIRC I think Kobe sprained his ankle or something in the 1st round against Chris Paul and the NOH and Gasol was going through some weird personal issues. Combine that with the fact that the Lakers were trying to make their 4th Finals in a row and you get a team that wasn't playing to their maximum potential.
On paper though that team was pretty formidable. IMO Gasol in his prime is better than Bosh in his prime, Kobe is better than Wade, but the Lakers don't really have an answer for Lebron other than chemistry (I know someone is gonna say Artest is a good defender but, I mean, he's not stopping Lebron only JJ Barea can stop Lebron).
Also, people forget how good Lamar Odom used to be before the Lakers trade wrecked him. He was a 6'10" PF who could handle the ball well, score, distribute a bit, and rebound. Odom was the 6th man of the year that season.

I think if the 2011 Lakers were playing to their potential a hypothetical 2011 Lakers/Heat Finals would actually be a good series.

I don’t think people forgot how good Lamar Odom was, he just wasn’t that good tbh. He was a very frustrating player to watch, he got better with the addition on Pau, but still he was too strung out on drugs (crack) to be consistent.
AussieRules
Starter

Post#33 » by AussieRules » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:01 pm

NeutralObserver wrote:Lol @ people scoffing at LeBron playing alongside Dwayne Wade, whose arguably the 3rd-5th best SG of all-time.

Why not admit that LeBron has had GREAT teammates but failed to maximize the talent around him?

Kobe almost 3peated in the West with Shannon Brown, DJ Mbenga, Vujecic, and Jordan Farmer receiving significant playing time.

Let that sink in...

The level of delusion is impressive.

Sometimes I feel like I’m living in a twilight zone. The level of disingenuousness is disgusting, makes me wanna barf
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,897

Post#34 » by thebigbird » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:03 pm

NeutralObserver wrote:
thebigbird wrote:Lebron is a vastly superior player than Kobe. There's really no reason to compare the two. Compare Kobe to players in the 11-20 ranking where he belongs.

Compare LeBron to the list of players who couldn't make the playoffs in a competitive conference...in the bracket that he belongs.

Lol okay looks like Kobe is still in that category. Prime Kobe, at that. Since we're removing all context Michael Jordan missed the playoffs two years in a row in the weak east.
AussieRules
Starter

Post#35 » by AussieRules » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Celtics fans stay salty lol, y’all were chanting MVP for the man when he toasted y’all. Now you gonna act like it never happened. You know u love Kobe :lol:

infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,413

Post#36 » by infinite11285 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:35 pm

JordansBulls wrote:2009 Cavs had Ben Wallace and 2010 Cavs had Shaq, both of which won titles for franchises.

And both were very, very washed up at the time.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,413

Post#37 » by infinite11285 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:37 pm

Gooner wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

In fairness, Kobe wasn't even the best player on the team for 3 of those championships.

Ring counting is a rather shallow and ineffective way of comparing players.

It's not as shallow as stat counting.

So you agree both measures are shallow and ineffective ways of comparing players and ultimately gets us nowhere. So how should we compare players?
fianchetto
Starter
And1: 2,997

Post#38 » by fianchetto » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Gooner wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

In fairness, Kobe wasn't even the best player on the team for 3 of those championships.

Ring counting is a rather shallow and ineffective way of comparing players.

It's not as shallow as stat counting.

:banghead:
“If I told you that a flower bloomed in a dark room, would you trust it?”
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#39 » by Danny1616 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:30 pm

It would have been a close series.

Wasn't like the Celtics and Magic destroyed the Cavaliers...those were close match-ups that could have gone either way.

Cavaliers were a perennial 60+ win with Lebron.

I can't stand Lebron but I wouldn't say that the Lakers would roll over those Cavs teams...the Cavs would have a legitimate chance.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,229

Post#40 » by freethedevil » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:34 pm

Blazers-1977 wrote:People keep saying how we missed chance of a great series between them but I think the series won’t have been anywhere near as good as people think :

In 2009 and 2010 Kobe clearly had better supporting cast than LeBron so the Lakers win easily even if LeBron outplays Kobe

In 2011 and 2012 LeBron Clearly had the better supporting cast and Heat would win easily even if Kobe outplays LeBron .

Besides we got two amazing series in 2010 and 2011 ( and 3 if you count 2013 in the stretch )

I htink people need to stop overreacting to Small sample sizes. The magic were a nightmare matchup who went redhot and won a close series. This doesn't mean the cavs weren't as good as they played for 80+ games.

Chances are, it's a close series.

Return to The General Board