Mavericks Summer of 2019

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 830

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1841 » by Teffer10 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:16 pm

jpengland wrote:
Darren wrote:Who're the starters? As of today, I'd pencil in Curry as fifth starter for basketball reasons. Curry, Wright, Barea and Brunson is way too deep. And Luka possibly play better defense at 3 than 2. I really don't think it's up to TH, DFS and JJ 2.0 for the fifth starter role. It's easily Curry for me since the Mavs need shooter alongside Luka and Zinger. And Curry would play a lot of clutch minutes. It's better to have Curry start in case the goal is to contend. Of course, if the goal is to tank, things could go completely different.

I don't see Luka and Curry starting due to defensive issues.

DFS, Jackson and possibly Courtney Lee will fight for that 5th spot. Curry and THJ will get the majority of their burn against second units where they can fill it up without worrying too much about going the other way.

I would also start Maxi next to Porzingis.

I could see this going two different ways.

I think Luka/Wright/KP/Powell is a given for the start of the season but good arguments could be made for either Seth or Jackson in that last spot.
Seth is an amazing 3pt shooter when being setup and Luka might become the best in the league at that next season. Seth would also spread the floor for Luka which would give Luka more room to work. The Mavs will be bombing 3 pointers this year and Seth is one of the best in the league so I could see Rick going that direction.

However that lineup could struggle defensively as you mention so I could see Jackson, DFS or even Lee filling the final spot to help defensively. The west is loaded with good wings and guards so we'll need better defenders on the floor to hang with them in most cases. Several teams are have multiple stars at guard and wings so the need for defenders will be critical.

I hope DFS and/or Jackson take their games to much higher levels because one, or both will have critical roles this season. I'd also love to see Reaves get an opportunity because he could become a key player or starter someday.
Rn5ho
Junior
And1: 376

Post#1842 » by Rn5ho » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Last year everyone doubted Luka could play against NBA competition/defense.. he was "too slow", "reached ceiling", "not athletic enough", etc. etc.

And he proved everyone wrong. This year, everyone (not literally) is saying how Mavs have almost no chance of reaching playoffs and I think everyone will be proved wrong again - Luka is working his ass off and I'm expecting him to go for 25/8/8 type of season, carrying this team to the PO. He is hungry, he hates losing and team is now openly going for POs (Luka said he wants PO and anything else will be disappointment), so there will be no tanking/holding back.

I'm looking forward to the new season and can't wait to see doubters/haters proven wrong again.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#1843 » by BlueSan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Although I am naturally a big fan of Dallas, I have to be realistic here and say that I personally do not see them reaching the playoffs.

And if they do, that I will be really surprised.

Here is hoping for the best, but expecting realistically lower than rank 8
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 830

Post#1844 » by Teffer10 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:22 pm

Rn5ho wrote:Last year everyone doubted Luka could play against NBA competition/defense.. he was "too slow", "reached ceiling", "not athletic enough", etc. etc.

And he proved everyone wrong. This year, everyone (not literally) is saying how Mavs have almost no chance of reaching playoffs and I think everyone will be proved wrong again - Luka is working his ass off and I'm expecting him to go for 25/8/8 type of season, carrying this team to the PO. He is hungry, he hates losing and team is now openly going for POs (Luka said he wants PO and anything else will be disappointment), so there will be no tanking/holding back.

I'm looking forward to the new season and can't wait to see doubters/haters proven wrong again.

I think most of us agree with you but at least for me it will be KP's ability to stay healthy and Wright's ability to take his game to another level. All of the other role players (Seth, Brunson, Maxi, Powell, Jackson, Boban, Broek and THJ) just need to be who they are.
If those things happen I would say we are in the POs.
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,763

Post#1845 » by Archx » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Problem is, they have a strong bench again, but it's the starting unit that's a big concern right now. If KP can not stay healthy for at least 70 games, they will miss the playoffs. LD is not all around 2 way player like LBJ ( yet? :) ) or a scoring machine like Kobe was, he won't be able to carry them alone.

When you start inserting important bench players into the starting lineup, like THJ, DFS, Powell or even Curry, you create a huge gap on the bench. I mean, this season will have to be almost perfect for them to reach playoffs in my opinion.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,262

Post#1846 » by Imon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:52 am

I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet but it was announced a few days ago that 5miles and the Mavs have agreed to end their jersey sponsorship contract.

While I would be perfectly happy for sponsors to disappear from NBA jerseys I'm not so naive to believe team owners would just willingly give up an opportunity to make more money.
Any ideas about who the next sponsor might be? I think the obvious answer might be American Airlines but they also have naming rights to the arena so they probably don't need the jersey sponsorship.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#1847 » by dirkforpres » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:34 am

Imon wrote:I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet but it was announced a few days ago that 5miles and the Mavs have agreed to end their jersey sponsorship contract.

While I would be perfectly happy for sponsors to disappear from NBA jerseys I'm not so naive to believe team owners would just willingly give up an opportunity to make more money.
Any ideas about who the next sponsor might be? I think the obvious answer might be American Airlines but they also have naming rights to the arena so they probably don't need the jersey sponsorship.

Whoever the highest bidder is. Some other Dallas based company should jump on this though
FIRE JASON KIDD
Imon
Head Coach

Post#1848 » by Imon » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:20 pm

Just saw this on the GB.
These are supposed to be the new court designs for the 2019-20 season.

Here are the ones for the Mavs.

WTH is this? This looks like a 90's Quicksilver surfer dude court.

Is this so much different than the court we have right now? Kinda bland but nothing wrong with it.
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,763

Post#1849 » by Archx » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:28 pm

Imon wrote:Just saw this on the GB.
These are supposed to be the new court designs for the 2019-20 season.

Here are the ones for the Mavs.

WTH is this? This looks like a 90's Quicksilver surfer dude court.

Is this so much different than the court we have right now? Kinda bland but nothing wrong with it.

That's only for special occasions ( City edition), right? Because the "core" court looks the same. Don't know what the green color is suppose to represent though. I mean, i could think of a reason, but i'm not sure they would go this far to kiss Doncic's ass lol.
Raido
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#1850 » by Raido » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:48 pm

Welcome back Luka!

Raido
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#1851 » by Raido » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:25 pm

Mavericks Claim Aric Holman Off Waivers
AUG 29, 2019 5:56 PM

The Dallas Mavericks have claimed Aric Holman off waivers.

The Los Angeles Lakers waived Holman in order to create a roster spot to sign Dwight Howard.

Holman went undrafted out of Mississippi State this offseason and then joined the Lakers for Summer League before signing an Exhibit 10 deal.

G League material next year, who will be used as a training camp body. But as much as I researched about him, he seems like a good fit to Mavericks and has nice modern NBA PF/C potential.

Unfortunately he is poor defender with sometimes lack of effort, so he will have hard time getting minutes from Rick.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#1852 » by leolozon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:37 pm

Luka is back at it, dishing a couple of nice assists.

Read on Twitter
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,530

Post#1853 » by jpengland » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:17 pm

Holman has a little rim protection and can stretch the floor. Not a great PnR defender.

That's a good flyer for me. Has potential to become a rotation piece.
Imon
Head Coach

Post#1854 » by Imon » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:27 am

leolozon wrote:Luka is back at it, dishing a couple of nice assists.

Read on Twitter

Whoa, Monta Ellis sighting! :D
Also, is that Isaiah Roby? Hope he can transform into a useful rotation player - I'm still pretty pessimistic about DFS.
Imon
Head Coach

Post#1855 » by Imon » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:55 am

The GOAT himself in China for FIBA. :cry:
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#1856 » by Darren » Sun Sep 1, 2019 2:39 am

Are the Mavs and Rap interested in Courtney for Serge deal? Toronto saves some instant cash. The Mavs gets a rotation international big on bigger expiring contract.
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#1857 » by guille_4 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 7:30 pm

Not sure if this is thread worthy - it might be since it's the offseason after all, but the Mavs website has published an interview with Luka Doncic.

Link: https://www.mavs.com/doncic-hoping-he-and-porzingis-can-do-a-lot-of-damage-on-the-court-together-for-many-years-to-come/

Some quotes:

LUKA DONCIC: It was a different summer for me. It’s the first time I’ve had so many days off – actually, months. So it was great for me.

MAVS.COM: Millions of us saw that photo of you on social media where you posed with a flat stomach while holding your dog, Hugo. How much weight did you lose, because I heard you lost as much as 20 pounds?

LUKA: Yeah, but I didn’t check it. I just lost it, so I don’t have to worry about it, so that’s the key.

MAVS.COM: What has been the immediate results of the weight loss? And do you believe that’s going to help you going forward, especially on the defensive end of the floor.

LUKA: I would say I’m faster now. So (my defense is) going to get better, for sure.

Based on his answer, I'd say 20 pounds is a reach. He probably lost 10-14 pounds.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,530

Post#1858 » by jpengland » Mon Sep 2, 2019 7:06 pm

Darren wrote:Are the Mavs and Rap interested in Courtney for Serge deal? Toronto saves some instant cash. The Mavs gets a rotation international big on bigger expiring contract.

The Raptors are a playoff team

They aren't dumping a 15/8 big man for nothing.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#1859 » by dirkforpres » Mon Sep 2, 2019 8:27 pm

Darren wrote:Are the Mavs and Rap interested in Courtney for Serge deal? Toronto saves some instant cash. The Mavs gets a rotation international big on bigger expiring contract.

Only way that happens is at the deadline, and even then it’s pretty unlikely. They aren’t a free agent hotspot so cap space doesn’t really do much for them as much as a pick or young player could/would.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Imon
Head Coach

Post#1860 » by Imon » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:17 am

Read on Twitter

Dirk at the Cowboys season opener. Got a stading-o from the crowd.

It's a shame the Mavs don't get as much love as the Cowboys but I get it ... it's Texas. Texans love their football.

Return to Dallas Mavericks