Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Re: Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2 

Post#341 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Mon Aug 5, 2019 11:01 pm

payitforward wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
payitforward wrote:The problem with Vince Carter is that we already have 17 players. As it is, we have to jettison 2 of the 4 guys whose contracts aren't guaranteed (McRae, Phillip, Jones & Robinson).

Obviously, Vince wouldn't be part of our on-court future (though of course he'd be a great mentor, not to mention that it would be an honor to have him end his career as a Wizard), so, he'd be taking the place of a player who at least has some chance of being part of that future. We can't afford to do that.

When Justin Robinson was signed Candace Buckner quoted Coach Brooks as saying he would spend most of his time with the GoGo, but would have a chance to play with his team. That suggested to me that he was a 2-way player. Thus not taking up a roster spot.

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2019/6/21/18700421/2019-nba-draft-washington-wizards-justin-robinson-virginia-tech-undrafted-prospect

Nah... he has a conventional, partially-guaranteed salary. To this point, our only 2-way guy is Garrison Matthews.

I don't know who the candidates are for the 2d one of those, but when I looked at Armoni Brooks' numbers I was favorably impressed. I imagine he has a shot at that 2d 2way deal.

(Brooks & Corey Davis Jr. are the two guards out of U of Houston whom we signed unguaranteed post-draft. I don't think they even played in SL!)

From the bulletsforever article tagged above..

"Robinson is likely on a two-way contract based on what Candace Buckner of The Washington Post reported."

Also, as far as Chriss I was not aware of those issues. The searches I did included the Bulls article speculating he could be a good choice for their last spot, and Wikipedia which talked a lot about how much he listened to his mother. Really I don't know anything about him other than his measurable and where he was drafted. I watched and posted some highlights which admittedly I wasn't overly impressed with. I basically focused on him because we are thin at PF and he would fit in our philosophy of picking up other teams young players let go. He just turned 22 in July, but maybe he is a lost cause. It was just an idea, a bad idea obviously.

Tarik Phillip has had multiple academic ineligibilities and suspensions so he should probably be cut ASAP.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarik_Phillip

The Vince Carter idea is still a good one though IMO. I'm sticking to my guns on that one !
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,870

Post#342 » by payitforward » Tue Aug 6, 2019 1:53 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
payitforward wrote:
doclinkin wrote:When Justin Robinson was signed Candace Buckner quoted Coach Brooks as saying he would spend most of his time with the GoGo, but would have a chance to play with his team. That suggested to me that he was a 2-way player. Thus not taking up a roster spot.

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2019/6/21/18700421/2019-nba-draft-washington-wizards-justin-robinson-virginia-tech-undrafted-prospect

Nah... he has a conventional, partially-guaranteed salary. To this point, our only 2-way guy is Garrison Matthews.

I don't know who the candidates are for the 2d one of those, but when I looked at Armoni Brooks' numbers I was favorably impressed. I imagine he has a shot at that 2d 2way deal.

(Brooks & Corey Davis Jr. are the two guards out of U of Houston whom we signed unguaranteed post-draft. I don't think they even played in SL!)

"Robinson is likely on a two-way contract based on what Candace Buckner of The Washington Post reported."...

One more once: NO, Justin Robinson is NOT on a 2way contract. He has a 3 year deal, a conventional NBA contract. His salary this year is $988,310. His contract is only partially guaranteed. In fact, each year is partially guaranteed.

That article is date 6/21 -- one day after the draft. It is inaccurate. Put it away.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#343 » by verbal8 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:07 am

Vince Carter signs with the Hawks

The brief article mentions that he is expected to go into broadcasting.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255110/Vince-Carter-Agrees-To-One-Year-Deal-With-Hawks
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#344 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:12 am

verbal8 wrote:Vince Carter signs with the Hawks

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255110/Vince-Carter-Agrees-To-One-Year-Deal-With-Hawks

Well there it is. Hope you're happy nate.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#345 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:56 am

payitforward wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
payitforward wrote:Nah... he has a conventional, partially-guaranteed salary. To this point, our only 2-way guy is Garrison Matthews.

"Robinson is likely on a two-way contract based on what Candace Buckner of The Washington Post reported."...

One more once: NO, Justin Robinson is NOT on a 2way contract. He has a 3 year deal, a conventional NBA contract. His salary this year is $988,310. His contract is only partially guaranteed. In fact, each year is partially guaranteed.

That article is date 6/21 -- one day after the draft. It is inaccurate. Put it away.

Fine.

Looks like our off-season is done.

Thomas, Smith, Robinson
Beal, McRae, Bonga
TBJ, Miles, Admiral
Hachimura, Bertans
Bryant, Mahinmi, Wagner

Wall (injured)
Matthews (2-way)

Seems Phillip is gone for sure. Jones I guess doesn't make it unless we get that exemption for Wall's spot. Suppose it will be a training camp competition for the final spot with Jones, Phillip, McRae, Bonga, Robinson going at it. Someone pointed out before McRae probably has the advantage because of his scoring ability to be a legit backup for Beal. And probably more so if Miles is recovering from injury. My preference would be to keep Jones.

Don't know if our final camp cuts can be retained with our final 2 way, or E-10 ?

https://www.nba.com/teams/wizards
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#346 » by BigA » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:27 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
verbal8 wrote:Vince Carter signs with the Hawks

Well there it is. Hope you're happy nate.

I would have only wanted him on the Wizards so I could say "half man....half AMAZING!"
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#347 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:31 pm

Another hire from the Clippers . At this point we’ve gotta bring Sam Cassell back!

Read on Twitter
?s=21
payitforward
RealGM

Post#348 » by payitforward » Wed Aug 7, 2019 12:54 am

Cool!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#349 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Aug 7, 2019 1:51 am

Illmatic12 wrote:Another hire from the Clippers . At this point we’ve gotta bring Sam Cassell back!

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Maybe they should start referring to the Wizards as "CLIPPERS EAST" !!
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#350 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:55 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Another hire from the Clippers . At this point we’ve gotta bring Sam Cassell back!

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Maybe they should start referring to the Wizards as "CLIPPERS EAST" !!

They already did that in the past but for the wrong reasons :lol:

Seriously though, all Wiz fans should be encouraged that Leonsis recognized the FO changes that needed to be made and is attacking this head on. For years it was like he was tone deaf and didn’t want to admit the franchise had these issues.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#351 » by verbal8 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:14 am

Illmatic12 wrote:Seriously though, all Wiz fans should be encouraged that Leonsis recognized the FO changes that needed to be made and is attacking this head on. For years it was like he was tone deaf and didn’t want to admit the franchise had these issues.

The Bryant signing was a big plus, but I think the moves in the FO might be the most encouraging.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#352 » by gambitx777 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:34 am

I'll put this here. How different would the nba be if once bet CBA agreement each team had an amnesty clause like the last one teams had years ago.it would make the NBA so much more competitive and would give teams a way out if **** don't go the way they planned .

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Post#353 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:30 pm

An excerpt from The Athletic:

David Aldridge wrote:How much better is your team since its season ended? Here’s how I rank them

The conceit is simple: rank how all 30 teams have done since the end of their respective seasons, looking at everything, from how they drafted to what trades they made, to significant free-agent signings and to whether they participated in free agency much at all.

Here’s what these rankings ARE NOT:

• A predicted order of finish for next season.

23. WASHINGTON WIZARDS

THE SKINNY: The best you can say about the Wizards’ offseason is that at least they shook up the torpor that had enveloped their franchise under former GM Ernie Grunfeld. But they have so, so far to go to get back to relevance. Leonsis is throwing a lot of money and people into the organization to try to replicate what other successful teams in the NBA and other sports have done. And that will help, to be sure. But this is still a game where talent reigns, and the Wiz don’t have near enough of it yet. Troy Brown, Rui Hachimura and Thomas Bryant will all have to grow up quick to keep Bradley Beal from eyeing the exit sign longingly before Christmas.
The Athletic
payitforward
RealGM

Post#354 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:15 pm

Of 30 teams, Aldridge rates as having done the 23d best in improving our team this off-season.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,997

Post#355 » by dckingsfan » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:08 pm

payitforward wrote:Of 30 teams, Aldridge rates as having done the 23d best in improving our team this off-season.

Upgraded from our normal 30th of 30 teams :)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Post#356 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:01 pm

Any chance this guy regains his spark and puts up solid numbers again?

Read on Twitter
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#357 » by pcbothwel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:16 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Any chance this guy regains his spark and puts up solid numbers again?

Read on Twitter

Yes... Even if you take out that ridiculous 16/17 season with Boston. He was a per 36 of 21/6/3 on a TS of 57% and a 2:1 AST:TOV ratio.

Any semblance of that becomes a really good 6th man making the vet min. I see a couple of great fits for him assuming he performs.
- Boston would be a great story and they need a backup to Kemba. They have their pick or the Milwaukee pick.
- Milwaukee has the Pacers 1st
- Philly. Great compliment to Simmons and they have the Knicks 2020/2021 2nds
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#358 » by nate33 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:37 pm

Hmm. I hadn't thought too much about trading our vets at the Trade Deadline for picks, but there are some real possibilities there.

If Thomas has a resurgence, he would definitely be in demand.

Bertans would certainly be coveted by teams looking for spacing.

CJ Miles might have some value but I doubt it.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#359 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:42 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Any chance this guy regains his spark and puts up solid numbers again?

Read on Twitter

Yes... Even if you take out that ridiculous 16/17 season with Boston. He was a per 36 of 21/6/3 on a TS of 57% and a 2:1 AST:TOV ratio.

Any semblance of that becomes a really good 6th man making the vet min. I see a couple of great fits for him assuming he performs.
- Boston would be a great story and they need a backup to Kemba. They have their pick or the Milwaukee pick.
- Milwaukee has the Pacers 1st
- Philly. Great compliment to Simmons and they have the Knicks 2020/2021 2nds

My guess is that he has something left and will put significant numbers with the Wiz, but... I don't see him being significant trade bait. Look at how little it cost the Wiz to get him, and he's an unusual player, so teams will likely be concerned that he won't fit well.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#360 » by nate33 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:43 pm

Read on Twitter

He looked real good in that workout video with Thomas Bryant a few weeks ago. If he really is healthy and in top shape, he could be a significant difference maker. Given our low expectations at that position, the unexpected emergence of a quality player at PG could translate into a lot more wins.

Heck, the Wizards might well have one of the best offenses in the league. Someone is going to have to rebound and defend though.

Return to Washington Wizards