Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA: 2019-20 Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,521

Re: Around The NBA: Off-Season Edition 

Post#461 » by dice » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:47 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
erlim wrote:This is interesting, and I think that Arenas has a point. On his podcast last month Arenas and Lou Williams argues that Pippen and Rodman couldn’t really make it in the NBA today. And calls them arrogant for even believing they could keep up with today’s players.

It makes you think. Maybe Pip and Rodman are just a bunch of old men yelling at the clouds.

What do you guys think. If Pip or Rodman in their primes were playing now, do you think they could be anywhere but the G-League?

I think there is some credence that needs to be lent to more modern players making this statement and not dismissing it. There is a little part of me that is beginning to believe that if you transported our ‘95-‘96 team to 2019, they couldn’t even make the playoffs in the east.

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-news-gilbert-arenas-calls-out-dennis-rodman-scottie-pippen-for-saying-they-could-stop-anybody-in-todays-game/

Read on Twitter

What do I think? I think Arenas is a freaking moron. He always was. Does anybody actually listen to his podcast. I had no idea he even had one. The guy was always an idiot. A dumb ass and a dumb player.

He hates everybody from the 90's? Scottie and Dennis would just be little guards today? What would that make you Gilbert at '6'3", 185. And I love Lou Williams as a player, always have, but he needs to hang out with better company. What is Lou if Scottie would be a little guard? LOL. These kids are too much and have no idea what they are even talking about. I mean Lou Will is 6'1", 170 lbs soaking wet. WTF are they talking about? What kind of drugs are they on?

What kind of player would Arenas be today? He had just 4 seasons in his entire career with a TS% above .540. He had one season out of 11 where he shot over .370 from 3. Career .421 FG%. He is a career .351 3 pt shooter who took bad shots and played a one dimensional game. He would just be a low efficiency chucker. His teams were pretty much horrible with him as the go to guy. He made it out of the 1st round of the playoffs just once in his career as lead dog.

Be surprised if Arenas' IQ is over 100. Also, as soon as MJ and Scottie decided to start taking and making 3 pt shots, they became quite adept at it, so don't tell me how the game today and the teams today with everybody standing out on the 3 pt line would be better than the great teams from back then. Sure players are smaller now and most have better bodies, but they also have better training tools and diets. They also have better PED's that have less harmful effects. So, to compare era's is stupid to begin with when looking at speed and bodies of players. It's all relative. The players back then would also benefit from advanced training methods and would also be practicing the long ball more.

agree with the bulk of your post, but the bolded part is not true. they shot the 3 well in the 2 seasons that the line was moved in. Jordan's 3 pt shooting was about as consistent from year to year as Duncan's FT shooting (mr. fundamental?). which is to say not at all. I assume that both jordan and pippen would be a bit better in today's era, though
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,549

Post#462 » by Ice Man » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:55 pm

The main takeaway from this discussion is that players are the worst possible source for generational comparisons. They don't even think when answering the question, for the most part -- just emotional responses, with the old always saying that that today's guys aren't as good as they were, and the young guys saying the opposite.

The value of player "insights" is highly overrated, as we learned from the now-defunct "Players Only" broadcast.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#463 » by DASMACKDOWN » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:50 pm

I may have missed something but why are so many NBA players pulling out of Team USA?

This isn't even a Team B squad. Its like Team E.
The Cult of Personality
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#464 » by Ferulci » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:50 pm

Rui Hachimura doing work
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#465 » by johnnyvann840 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:48 pm

Ferulci wrote:Rui Hachimura doing work

Wish we would have picked him at 7. Looks like a point forward. Handling the ball, making plays... doing it all.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,521

Post#466 » by dice » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:24 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:I may have missed something but why are so many NBA players pulling out of Team USA?

This isn't even a Team B squad. Its like Team E.

it's not the olympics, for starters. a world championships medal will be more of a conversation starter with the grandkids than a point of pride for a player w/ a successful nba career. many see it as just not worth the time and potentially health commitment. and as salaries/team investments rise that becomes more and more of a factor
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,406

Post#467 » by Indomitable » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:

Wish we would have picked him at 7. Looks like a point forward. Handling the ball, making plays... doing it all.

Your boy MPJ
Read on Twitter

Anybody want to call Silver.

Hachimura looked like he was playing really bad players.
:banghead:
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#468 » by AKfanatic » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:

Yep. I was right there on the Rui bandwagon with you. I still believe he has a great chance at being one of top 2-3 players in this draft. He’s just so solid, plays without any wasted movement at all. He reminds me a bit of a bigger Pip, though he’s got a long way to go to come close to that. Rui is everything the Bulls have been hoping to get from guys like Hutch but so much better. I’m still bummed that he won’t be in a Bulls uni. I was really hoping to see the Bulls somehow come out of the draft with Rui and Clarke.
AKfanatic
RealGM

Post#469 » by AKfanatic » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:24 pm

Indomitable wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

Your boy MPJ
Read on Twitter

Anybody want to call Silver.

Hachimura looked like he was playing really bad players.

MPJ’s brain seems to be made of the same stuff as his knees.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#470 » by TheFinishSniper » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:39 am

Not paying for long distance calls.
DorO
Junior
And1: 201

Post#471 » by DorO » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:40 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:

In some day he's gonna be the best PF in NBA and we could have drafted him, but no CHI.
Terrible miss which will haunt after couple of years.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#472 » by sco » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

rotoworld wrote:Bol Bol is reportedly expected to sign a two-way contract with the Nuggets this season.
It's very uncommon for a player drafted in the middle of the second round to ink a two-way deal, but it sounds like the Nuggets don't think Bol is ready to handle the rigors of the NBA. They apparently want him to get fully healthy and put on weight, as he works with the coaching staff in the G League. The two-way deal means he'll spend a majority of his rookie year in the G-League, rending him undrafted in re-draft formats.

hmmm
:clap:
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#473 » by DASMACKDOWN » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:53 pm

sco wrote:Bol Bol is reportedly expected to sign a two-way contract with the Nuggets this season.

That is pretty crazy when you consider Denver doesn't even have a G League team. I don't think we will see Bol Boll in the big league for a long time.

Tall, Skinny and bone and feet issues at 19 isn't a good sign.
The Cult of Personality
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,064

Post#474 » by MrSparkle » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:27 pm

DorO wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

In some day he's gonna be the best PF in NBA and we could have drafted him, but no CHI.

Well he was off Pax’s board cause Lauri is apparently untradeable.

Which is kind of an issue. I would’ve still scouted and heavily look at Rui since he was considered one of the top prospects at #7.

*shrug* Hopefully Coby is a starter by year 2. :-?
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#475 » by PaKii94 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:19 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
DorO wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

Well he was off Pax’s board cause Lauri is apparently untradeable.

Which is kind of an issue. I would’ve still scouted and heavily look at Rui since he was considered one of the top prospects at #7.

*shrug* Hopefully Coby is a starter by year 2. :-?

From what I read the concern with him was on the defensive end. I didn't watch him enough to get a read on that but his offensive end wasn't the question mark. Even then, you got to remember these highlights were against much inferior players. Our own Lauri (at 20 year old before rookie season) averaged 26/8/1 p36 on 53/48/90 in 6 games for FIBA 2017. This includes one terrible game. His numbers/percentages would have been even better. So maybe ya we shouldn't trade Lauri based on Rui's FIBA performance...
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,370

Post#476 » by drosestruts » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:51 pm

Where's those Bol Bol truthers at? Guys isn't even getting an NBA contract.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#477 » by MrFortune3 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:36 pm

What is wrong with MPJ? You can't be stupid enough to think that is ok...
Peelboy
Starter
And1: 1,004

Post#478 » by Peelboy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:50 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
sco wrote:Bol Bol is reportedly expected to sign a two-way contract with the Nuggets this season.

That is pretty crazy when you consider Denver doesn't even have a G League team. I don't think we will see Bol Boll in the big league for a long time.

Tall, Skinny and bone and feet issues at 19 isn't a good sign.

Tall, skinny, and bone/feet issues at 19 is no way to go through life.....
AKfanatic
RealGM

Post#479 » by AKfanatic » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:22 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:What is wrong with MPJ? You can't be stupid enough to think that is ok...

The red flags for MPJ are supersized. What damned fool....

Not all that shocking though. Many of us were just as concerned with his head as we were with his back when he was the shiny prospect. He never came off as a guy that was highly intelligent. That’s also a big reason some fans were high on both Bamba and Carter, as both seemed very smart when interviewed.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#480 » by MrFortune3 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:47 pm

AKfanatic wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:What is wrong with MPJ? You can't be stupid enough to think that is ok...

The red flags for MPJ are supersized. What damned fool....

Not all that shocking though. Many of us were just as concerned with his head as we were with his back when he was the shiny prospect. He never came off as a guy that was highly intelligent. That’s also a big reason some fans were high on both Bamba and Carter, as both seemed very smart when interviewed.

I wanted Bamba so damn bad in that draft.

Return to Chicago Bulls