Joseph Tsai reportedly purchasing remaining 51% share of Brooklyn Nets, for $1.35B

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

fast+forward
Junior
And1: 298

Re: Joseph Tsai reportedly purchasing remaining 51% share of Brooklyn Nets for $2.35B 

Post#21 » by fast+forward » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:47 am

BoogieTime wrote:
SWYM wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Why does Prokhorov want to sell?

He paid ~350mn for Nets and OpRights to Barclays.

10x in less than 10 years much?

I understand the team is worth a lot more now, but shouldn’t the team continue to appreciate if the league is healthy?

Either he needs cash now for some reason, has conflicting interests or he foresees the league taking a tailspin

Maybe he senses frozen assets in his future.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Re: Joseph Tsai reportedly purchasing remaining 51% share of Brooklyn Nets for $2.35B 

Post#22 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:05 am

VanWest82 wrote:Hope the deal includes the real estate. Otherwise...yikes!

Edit: I predict these 4B+ sports franchise valuations are going to look terrible sooner rather than later (if not immediately). Using Forbes numbers (2019 Nets = ~50M NI) and an aggressive discounted cash flow analysis over ten years instead of five @ only 5% discount rate, Nets should be worth ~400M.

Perhaps you might argue that's an impractical valuation method because these franchises are really rare pieces of art and hold value beyond the financials. Sure, except there are ~2000 billionaires in the world. Let's assume that 5% are die hard NBA fans and want to own an NBA team regardless of supporting financials. So 100 potential owners, many of which wouldn't be able to come up with the full 4B, and many of which already own an NBA team. Where is the NBA going to get all these future "collectors"?

They don't need to have a full four billion - these are joint ventures. To become an NBA owner you just need a plurality not a majority I think.
SWYM
Senior
And1: 828

Post#23 » by SWYM » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:31 am

BoogieTime wrote:
SWYM wrote:

He paid ~350mn for Nets and OpRights to Barclays.

10x in less than 10 years much?

I understand the team is worth a lot more now, but shouldn’t the team continue to appreciate if the league is healthy?

Either he needs cash now for some reason, has conflicting interests or he foresees the league taking a tailspin
Nets are NOT going to appreciate 10x every ten 10 yrs.

Dude just killed it for 40% of his net worth in less than 10 years in an all cash deal.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Re: Joseph Tsai reportedly purchasing remaining 51% share of Brooklyn Nets, for $1.35B 

Post#24 » by TheFinishSniper » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:59 am

Given Nets were likely pain for him since purchase it makes sense to sell it when team is starting to look good. Only reason he kept a team likely all this years was Nets were sucking blackhole. With no star, no picks or young prospects till end of 2017.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,716

Post#25 » by VanWest82 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:07 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:Hope the deal includes the real estate. Otherwise...yikes!

Edit: I predict these 4B+ sports franchise valuations are going to look terrible sooner rather than later (if not immediately). Using Forbes numbers (2019 Nets = ~50M NI) and an aggressive discounted cash flow analysis over ten years instead of five @ only 5% discount rate, Nets should be worth ~400M.

Perhaps you might argue that's an impractical valuation method because these franchises are really rare pieces of art and hold value beyond the financials. Sure, except there are ~2000 billionaires in the world. Let's assume that 5% are die hard NBA fans and want to own an NBA team regardless of supporting financials. So 100 potential owners, many of which wouldn't be able to come up with the full 4B, and many of which already own an NBA team. Where is the NBA going to get all these future "collectors"?

They don't need to have a full four billion - these are joint ventures. To become an NBA owner you just need a plurality not a majority I think.

NBA has restrictions on that, I think. Either way, I misread the title. The way it was originally worded made it sound like 51% of the total value equaling 2.35B when in fact that was the total value.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Re: Joseph Tsai reportedly purchasing remaining 51% share of Brooklyn Nets, for $1.35B 

Post#26 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:34 pm

Wait - am i reading this right? 2.35B for 51% of the nets? That would be a valuation of almost $5B. Thats ludicrous
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,497

Post#27 » by bisme37 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Wants to devote all of his time to insulting the Celtics on RealGM.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#28 » by Clay Davis » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:38 pm

Weird, his wikipedia page says that Joseph Tsai is Chinese-Canadian but there seems to be no mention of any Canadian roots on his Wikipedia page.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,358

Post#29 » by Forbes » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:43 pm

I think the timing of this buy is great. It sounds like a lot now but these values just keep rising every year. Between the TV deals and the league just becoming a cash cow, Durant and Kyrie marketability, potentially a winning team for the next couple of years. Not a bad investment at all.

Return to The General Board