What in the world makes people think that D Angelo Russell can fill Klay Thompson’s shoes

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Joerezz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,504

Re: What in the world makes people think that D Angelo Russell can fill Klay Thompson’s shoes 

Post#81 » by Joerezz7 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:13 am

killmongrel wrote:Still wondering who these "people" are that the OP is referring to. I have never heard anybody say that DLO will fill Klay's shoes. It's more about DLO hopefully providing some of offense that the Warriors will need in Klay's absence. Also, people are hoping he steps up his defense as well. OP seems to have had a fever induced dream and thought of people that don't even exist.

Read above where I’m arguing with GeorgeMarcus. He said Warriors will have 3rd seed. It’s not only him though. I seen other Warriors fans say they will have 3rd or 4th seed. That’s basically another form of saying that Dlo is filling Klay shoes. It’s almost as if the Klay Thompson injury means nothing. Dlo is a rising star but not good enough to get them the 3rd or 4th seed
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

There is nothing inherently different about winning in the Finals compared to winning other playoff seriess,
Hroz
Pro Prospect
And1: 468

Re: What in the world makes people think that D Angelo Russell can fill Klay Thompson’s shoes 

Post#82 » by Hroz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:15 am

Nobody thinks what the title states.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#83 » by michaelm » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 am

Indomitable wrote:
michaelm wrote:
Indomitable wrote:Most are warrior fans.

The team rain in it death throes.So much was made about their offense but great defense is what made them so dangerous. Now they are a 2nd round team.

I am not sure the ceiling of a 22 year old who has already made an all-star team can be precisely known at this point in time, but the number of GSW fans who consider him to be at Klay’s level now or a like for like replacement is precisely zero, so the OP is arguing against himself in which process you seem happy to join him.

GSW fans are naturally delighted to have a young all-star rather than no-one in the wake of KD’s departure, and have a somewhat evidence based faith in the GSW coaching staff and in Curry’s and Green’s ceiling raising ability. Klay himself was no All star at this stage in his career btw.

If GSW make the second round which will involve Klay coming back in shape sufficient to contribute I think you may find they will go further.

Klay will not be a 100%

Russell is a scorer and that is about it. The Yellow State biggest issue is how much they will lose on defense.

You went from 4 very good defender and Curry.

Curry is below avg on defense. He gives great effort.
Russell is bad on defense.
Draymont is a great defender
Looney is a solid defender

I was being nice.
BOTH LA teams will kill your team.
Houston is better
Portland is at least your equal

Your experience will see you through the first round but you guys lack talent. Klay has no chance of being the player he was last year next year. In time he will probably regain 90% ofhis effectiveness.

A novel approach I realise, but you could try reading my post. Of course it is all predicated on Klay. If they make the second round this will require a serviceable Klay, as I pretty much said, and if they do and he is they will be dangerous in the second round imo. It will be harder to triple or double team Curry as was the case in the recent post-season sans KD with DLo out there, and WCS and a healthy and possibly even improved Looney are better than a 100 year old Bogut and an absent or injured Looney. If Klay comes back significantly hobbled for the rest of the season then GSW will be planning for the following season as most GSW fans acknowledge, at which time their prospects might be fairly good imo.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#84 » by killmongrel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:52 am

Joerezz7 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Still wondering who these "people" are that the OP is referring to. I have never heard anybody say that DLO will fill Klay's shoes. It's more about DLO hopefully providing some of offense that the Warriors will need in Klay's absence. Also, people are hoping he steps up his defense as well. OP seems to have had a fever induced dream and thought of people that don't even exist.

Read above where I’m arguing with GeorgeMarcus. He said Warriors will have 3rd seed. It’s not only him though. I seen other Warriors fans say they will have 3rd or 4th seed. That’s basically another form of saying that Dlo is filling Klay shoes. It’s almost as if the Klay Thompson injury means nothing. Dlo is a rising star but not good enough to get them the 3rd or 4th seed

But that doesn't necessarily mean DLO=Klay or that DLO is able to fill Klay's shoes.
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#85 » by gorz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:21 am

Dlo is very underrated here. Im glad hes on Golden State with the amount of exposure to slowly change the narrative.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#86 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:49 pm

lol they took what they could get and it had nothing to do with winning next season.
gsw would be naive for sure even if Russel was able to match Thompson defensively and so it is more likely Curry will see a lot of load management in a down year. They are not getting out of the West with the players they have lost, the death lineup is history
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#87 » by Warriors Analyst » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Joerezz7 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Joerezz7 wrote:Let’s keep in mind that they wouldn’t be a playoff team if they didn’t add Dlo.

"Let's keep in mind this false assumption"

Are you delusional? Popular opinion says they wouldn’t be in the playoffs at all if they didn’t get Dlo. Are you forgetting the Warriors play in the WEST, Not the East.

Steph is a great player but he’s not Allen Iverson or Tracy Mcgrady. Those are players who can force a team in the playoffs. Draymond Green is not a scorer. It would be a one man show if they didn’t get Dlo.

Warriors without Dlo and Klay are not better than Lakers, Clippers, Jazz, Rockets, Denver, Blazers. Dallas is a lot better this year too. Maybe Warriors will grab 8th spot if they didn’t get Dlo. If you think otherwise you are living in a fantasy land and smoking some good stuff

Steph Curry dragged a Warriors team with David Lee as its second best player to the sixth seed in the 2012-2013 season and then proceeded to knock the 3rd seeded Nuggets out of the playoffs without Lee and with Jarrett Jack as his second leading scorer. Steph isn't Iverson, he's much better.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#88 » by iamworthy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:28 pm

Joerezz7 wrote:

Well of course DLo isn't good enough to get them to the 3rd or 4th seed, but curry might be. I don't think saying the warriors will have a high seed means DLo can replace klay. It means they have a good team.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#89 » by killmongrel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:21 pm

Stillwater wrote:

lol they took what they could get and it had nothing to do with winning next season.
gsw would be naive for sure even if Russel was able to match Thompson defensively and so it is more likely Curry will see a lot of load management in a down year. They are not getting out of the West with the players they have lost, the death lineup is history

Your post is all over the place. What are you even arguing?
BayWarrior
Bench Warmer
And1: 688

Post#90 » by BayWarrior » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:18 pm

iamworthy wrote:
Joerezz7 wrote:

Well of course DLo isn't good enough to get them to the 3rd or 4th seed, but curry might be. I don't think saying the warriors will have a high seed means DLo can replace klay. It means they have a good team.

This logical thinking is not welcome here and doesn't fit with the OP's agenda. He thinks GS is finished and has been littering the boards with anti-GS and Curry since KD signed with the Nets. I mean, why try? from another thread...

Joerezz7 wrote:Even when Klay Thompson comes back they will be a 5th or 6th seed in the West. The Warriors are not championship caliber without Durant. They can’t win a championship without him unless the entire league star players are hurt ex:2015 playoffs and Finals
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,456

Post#91 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:25 pm

I just read someone claim Tmac and Iverson are better than Curry. What in the HELL people!? Curry got beat in the finals to a team with two former DPOYs, an all nba defensive level Pascal, former all defense and still near that level in Green, Ibaka...and while not ideal a giving 110 FVF. Curry was STILL dangerous with them throwing everything they had at him. People think he can't do more against regular season defense and FAR worse defenses?
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#92 » by Kobblehead » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:33 pm

I think they're hoping that Jacob Evans can approximate Klay Thompson to a degree, in regards to defense and assisted shotmaking. Dlo just seems like an asset grab and flip opportunity that they couldn't pass up. I seriously doubt they actually covet him as an actual piece.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#93 » by WarriorGM » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:36 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I think they're hoping that Jacob Evans can approximate Klay Thompson to a degree, in regards to defense and assisted shotmaking. Dlo just seems like an asset grab and flip opportunity that they couldn't pass up. I seriously doubt they actually covet him as an actual piece.

D'Angelo or Jacob Evans? Decisions, decisions.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#94 » by Kobblehead » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:40 pm

WarriorGM wrote:D'Angelo or Jacob Evans? Decisions, decisions.

I'd rather have Evans as a cog in my system than Russell as a significant scoring option.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,269

Post#95 » by CS707 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:41 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I think they're hoping that Jacob Evans can approximate Klay Thompson to a degree, in regards to defense and assisted shotmaking. Dlo just seems like an asset grab and flip opportunity that they couldn't pass up. I seriously doubt they actually covet him as an actual piece.

Thompson? No. They were hoping to get a poor man's Iguodala out of Evans but at this point I think they'd be happy to get anything close to what Livingston was giving them. Even that seems like a stretch really. Maybe you're thinking of Poole?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#96 » by xdrta+ » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:43 pm

Indomitable wrote:I was being nice.
BOTH LA teams will kill your team.
Houston is better
Portland is at least your equal

That's one opinion. Here's a projection that has them above the Lakers.

Read on Twitter
/
BayWarrior
Bench Warmer
And1: 688

Post#97 » by BayWarrior » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:55 pm

Kobblehead wrote:

I'd rather have Evans as a cog in my system than Russell as a significant scoring option.

I'll give Evans another 6 months but personally don't think he will make it past the trade deadline unless he breaks out. He will be trade a filler. He just doesn't impress me at all.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#98 » by killmongrel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:56 pm

Kobblehead wrote:

Why not both?
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#99 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 pm

killmongrel wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Your post is all over the place. What are you even arguing?

nothing... I'm stating facts:
1 Dlo is overrated off ball and will likely be the first guard off the bench subbing in for Steph not a starter next to him.
2 GSW took what they could get offensively knowing full well he is no KT defensively
3 GSW dominance died last season and the dynasty is over.
4 Anyone who actually thinks GSW brought him in with the expectation he can fill Klay's shoes next season is delusional, and if for some reason there is some small amount truth to that than the org is in denial of the downward spiral that has started and is making weak moves to patch the leaks.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,722

Post#100 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 pm

They need to finish top three, they probably don't.

That means they could face something like Utah/Lakers/Clippers to get out of the west (no HCA).

They have to make some major moves, the tax is going to kill them. They really don't have a path here.

Return to The General Board