Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,546

Re: Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession 

Post#221 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:02 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Quattro wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:I wouldn't go that far. Everyone cares about children getting shot. The problem is the solutions are ignorant and have been proven not to work again and again. This isn't Australia or Britain. We have 400+ million guns in circulation.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using RealGM mobile app

I don't see how anyone could say that. If nothing got done after an atrocity like Sandy Hook, it's pretty clear that not everyone cares. I don't accept that there are no solutions to the problem. If there was real political will to get something done, it would have been done long ago. But we all know why we're still here talking about this today. $$$$$$$
Sometimes there isn't a solution to a problem. How do we control a black hole? We don't know. There isn't always an answer at this time. The proposed solutions ONLY harm legal, responsible gun owners who aren't committing mass shootings.

Wasn't the gun used in the El Paso shooting purchased legally?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,411

Re: Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession 

Post#222 » by BallSacBounce » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:12 pm

Antinomy wrote:I’m just gonna keep some comments to myself on this topic. Especially amid the mass shootings that have happened recently. All I’ll say is that our gun laws are a joke & modern firearms should’ve been outlawed years ago.

The 2nd amendment was written when guns took half an hour to reload. It’s time for a change.

Fine, I'll take one cannon loaded with grapeshot.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,398

Post#223 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:14 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:I wouldn't go that far. Everyone cares about children getting shot. The problem is the solutions are ignorant and have been proven not to work again and again. This isn't Australia or Britain. We have 400+ million guns in circulation.

What solutions are ignorant? Having to obtain a federal license to purchase firearms? Stop selling guns in Walmart so that they don't get transported across state lines into inner cities? Buyback programs?
How about you read the last page and see what legislation is being pushed. I posted the quotes and articles. Much better method than feigning ignorance here. Guns already require background checks in most cases. Voluntary gun buyback is fine, but will do nothing based on the couple trials we have seen and common sense. Criminals, murderers, gang members aren't the ones turning in or selling guns to the government. This only disarms responsible people who foolishly think they will be safe, despite that they aren't the ones shooting up schools.

So again how about YOU propose which legislation or changes will work and WHY, and I'll go ahead and explain why someone much smarter than you or I has already tried it and failed.

Not all cases? Why not?

Is that a reasonable place to start?
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant

Post#224 » by BallSacBounce » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:17 pm

Bill Bradley wrote:
BallSacBounce wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:
Yeah not smart but it’s nuts that in some states (white) folks could walk around with that stuff in a grocery store.

That is so unbelievably ignorant. Anyone in a red state with open carry is allowed to do it.

Except for the black guy in the video, right? I’m sure this is an exception.

Why don't you try looking up white people open carrying too.

They do it all the time to test LEO response. They quite often get calls from "concerned citizens" about the "potential bad guy" walking around with an open carry gun. Sometimes it's a friendly response respecting their right to do so, many times it's not.

But oh look, I found a black guy who had a problem, therefore it's ONLY black guys that have the problem. LMAO
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Post#225 » by OkcSinceSGA » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:08 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
What solutions are ignorant? Having to obtain a federal license to purchase firearms? Stop selling guns in Walmart so that they don't get transported across state lines into inner cities? Buyback programs?
How about you read the last page and see what legislation is being pushed. I posted the quotes and articles. Much better method than feigning ignorance here. Guns already require background checks in most cases. Voluntary gun buyback is fine, but will do nothing based on the couple trials we have seen and common sense. Criminals, murderers, gang members aren't the ones turning in or selling guns to the government. This only disarms responsible people who foolishly think they will be safe, despite that they aren't the ones shooting up schools.

So again how about YOU propose which legislation or changes will work and WHY, and I'll go ahead and explain why someone much smarter than you or I has already tried it and failed.

Not all cases? Why not?

Is that a reasonable place to start?

Here is the problem. Most of these shootings ARE with purchased guns that had to include a background check and already are registered. So again, background checks won't solve anything. Right now we are 80% guns purchases that went through background checks. So it's not that I'm against background checks. If they want to add background checks to other store purchases+gun shows I'm okay with that. It's just the start of them encroaching more and more though when it has no effect on mass shootings is my point. Please take the time to read my post on the last page. These are REAL quotes from politicians right NOW, presidential candidates. They are NOT proposing logical and constitutional controls.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#226 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:14 pm

SWYM wrote:
blind prophet wrote:Telfair told The Post on Monday before his sentencing that the weapons were his and legally licensed, although in Florida. He was not licensed to have them in New York.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/12/ex-nba-player-sebastian-telfair-gets-over-3-years-on-weapons-charges/

Seems kind of harsh to me.

Note to self, don't bring a gun to NY.
NYC does not play around when it comes to gun possession wout a permit.

I dont know much about gun laws but I didnt realize it was this harsh. I guess my thinking is they are registered somewhere. Its not like you can't trace them to the owner who admits they were his. I could see if they found him with a stolen or totally unregistered gun. Seems more like a clerical issue you settled by a fine.

Edit: read the details and damn, dude pretty much asked for it. Had the arsenal
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#227 » by karkinos » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:49 pm

Antinomy wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
chrismikayla wrote:
Just FYI, you don't have to have a "hood mentality" to carry protection. In fact, in today's social climate in the U.S., you'd be foolish not to be prepared to protect yourself.

I don't disagree with this because I guarantee you if minorities began legally arming ourselves en masse the gun laws will be changed overnight.

100%. The lawmakers & gun maniacs will always try to maintain plausible deniability.

1. my comment about him acting with a hood mentality is not me being opposed to conceal carry. tucking guns away in an ottoman and bringing extended mags into a strict gun state and saying "i didn't know those were there" is irresponsible and reeks of hoodlum behavior.

2. minorities do arm themselves. i'm not sure why people assume they don't. have you seen the watts riots?
Triples333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#228 » by Triples333 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:00 am

[*]Forget the Watts riots, have you seen the (public) gang shootings so far this week? Multiple Chicago drive byes with 10 shot, 4 shot in a McD's parking lot in SF, 8 shot in 2 seperate East Coast funerals (one Brooklyn and one Maryland).
The list goes on. RIGHT now there's an active gunmen (or multiple) holed up in their North Philly (No word on race but it's the Nicetown/Tioga neighborhood, so pretty much all blacks with some Hispanics, less whites) house in a shootout. 6 officers already confirmed shot.

"Imagine if the minorities started getting legally strapped how quickly they'd take away gun rights", what an ignorant ass comment. It would be a dream come true if any one of the above incidents had a legally registered gun.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Post#229 » by Pointgod » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:26 am

Bill Bradley wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

No words. This is sad stuff.
Huh? I thought he just had one pistol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Am I understanding correctly these were all registered in Florida?

And was carrying weed? So what? Isn’t it legal in NY yet?

And OMG his headlights weren’t on? That’s the kicker there!

Cops post photos like that and of course try to make the case for how bad it is.

I’m not saying that the guy was smart, but these OMG clutch your pearls reactions are a bit over the top.

Exactly. You can’t be all pro second amendment then clutch pearls and react when someone legally exercises their second amendment rights. America has a sickness when it comes to guns and gun culture, but somehow shocked when it’s taken overboard.
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant

Post#230 » by BallSacBounce » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:33 am

From the story.

Cops then found three loaded handguns, a submachine gun, ammunition, extended magazines and a ballistic vest during a search of his vehicle.

Yeah, I guaranteefreakingtee you they DID NOT FIND a SUBMACHINE gun. Such ignorant reporting by people, mainstream media who don't have a clue what a gun is. Most likely he had something that COULD Be but WASN'T one. In other words something like a semi-automatic UZI which is, wait for it....just another normal pistol. Nothing special about it. My God, the ignorance.

https://www.thoughtco.com/us-gun-control-timeline-3963620
In a reaction to emancipation, several southern states adopt "black codes" which, among other things, forbid black persons from possessing firearms.

THAT, is the origin of all the debate regarding private ownership of firearms. Before then only Georgia tried anything at all regrading personal firearms and the Supreme Court shot it down, pun intended.

After Emancipation there was a freaking racist panic about blacks owning guns.

Who ran the South at that time, DEMOCRATS. The North? Republicans. President Lincoln, Emancipation Proclamation, remember now? To this day DEMOCRATS are still trying to take the black man's gun rights away in every blue state they have power. Sure, they say they want to restrict all guns. But the only ones they are scared of...is yours. No power for you means all power for them.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Post#231 » by Pointgod » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:52 am

BallSacBounce wrote:From the story.

Cops then found three loaded handguns, a submachine gun, ammunition, extended magazines and a ballistic vest during a search of his vehicle.

Yeah, I guaranteefreakingtee you they DID NOT FIND a SUBMACHINE gun. Such ignorant reporting by people, mainstream media who don't have a clue what a gun is. Most likely he had something that COULD Be but WASN'T one. In other words something like a semi-automatic UZI which is, wait for it....just another normal pistol. Nothing special about it. My God, the ignorance.

In a reaction to emancipation, several southern states adopt "black codes" which, among other things, forbid black persons from possessing firearms.

THAT, is the origin of all the debate regarding private ownership of firearms. Before then only Georgia tried anything at all regrading personal firearms and the Supreme Court shot it down, pun intended.

Who ran the South at that time, DEMOCRATS. The North? Republicans. President Lincoln, Emancipation Proclamation, remember now? To this day DEMOCRATS are still trying to take the black man's gun rights away in every blue state they have power. Sure, they say they want to restrict all guns. But the only ones they are scared of...is yours. No power for you means all power for them.

This is such a laughably ignorant post devoid of any historical context or nuance.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#232 » by Bill Bradley » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:02 am

BallSacBounce wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:
BallSacBounce wrote:That is so unbelievably ignorant. Anyone in a red state with open carry is allowed to do it.

Except for the black guy in the video, right? I’m sure this is an exception.

Why don't you try looking up white people open carrying too.

They do it all the time to test LEO response. They quite often get calls from "concerned citizens" about the "potential bad guy" walking around with an open carry gun. Sometimes it's a friendly response respecting their right to do so, many times it's not.

But oh look, I found a black guy who had a problem, therefore it's ONLY black guys that have the problem. LMAO

Didn’t actually watch the video, huh?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#233 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:21 am

So, I suppose that you were one of the folks that fell asleep in school when your teacher in social studies class covered what happened after the passing of the civil rights act.

One of the biggest hallmarks of ignorance is spouting the very notion that the Democrat Party post 1964 is the same party as the Democrats of the late 1800s/early 20th century. You literally told on yourself with this post dude.

read a book.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#234 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:26 am

Pointgod wrote:

This is such a laughably ignorant post devoid of any historical context or nuance.

It's really bad. Like dude has no understanding of history at all.

He's also one of those jokers that always go "define assault rifle". "define submachine gun". playing semantics games.

:lol: @ a **** ing Uzi being a "normal pistol".

tondi123
Starter
And1: 1,376

Post#235 » by tondi123 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 am

karkinos wrote:
Antinomy wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
I don't disagree with this because I guarantee you if minorities began legally arming ourselves en masse the gun laws will be changed overnight.

100%. The lawmakers & gun maniacs will always try to maintain plausible deniability.

1. my comment about him acting with a hood mentality is not me being opposed to conceal carry. tucking guns away in an ottoman and bringing extended mags into a strict gun state and saying "i didn't know those were there" is irresponsible and reeks of hoodlum behavior.

2. minorities do arm themselves. i'm not sure why people assume they don't. have you seen the watts riots?

Minorities commit an extremely disproportionate number of gun crimes in this country. The idea they are any less armed than whites is ridiculous. Maybe someone will ask just why that is, instead of trying to tale away guns from people who never misuse them under the guise of "public safety".
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,452

Post#236 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:57 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Antinomy wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Let a group of Black and Latino men walk around in one of these open carry states casually with assault rifles and watch the same people clinging to the 2A scream bloody murder.

These people don't care when children get shot to death in a kindergarten class room, but they'll piss their pants in fear if some brothers come around them with guns behaving in the same manner these open carry NRA lunatics act.

I've seen black men doing this on youtube...now it's youtube....but it doesn't seem there's a difference beyond perhaps more calls and more attention.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,452

Post#237 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:59 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Antinomy wrote:

Let a group of Black and Latino men walk around in one of these open carry states casually with assault rifles and watch the same people clinging to the 2A scream bloody murder.

These people don't care when children get shot to death in a kindergarten class room, but they'll piss their pants in fear if some brothers come around them with guns behaving in the same manner these open carry NRA lunatics act.
I wouldn't go that far. Everyone cares about children getting shot. The problem is the solutions are ignorant and have been proven not to work again and again. This isn't Australia or Britain. We have 400+ million guns in circulation.

If a solution takes 100 years, is it a bad one? Should change only focus on short term results? Or do we accept that some things that we should do are for our children or even great grand children and we make changes now for the future?

The baby boomers very much decided with their votes that gen x and millennials and even gen z could go to hell. Should that be the mentality going forward?
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,488

Post#238 » by Kalela » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:38 am

I hate that **** cops can use just about anything - in this case the smell of marijuana - to justify searching your vehicle without warrant and **** judges will back them up.
Fire Mazzulla
rapscity
Junior
And1: 281

Post#239 » by rapscity » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:56 am

Watched a clip from his sentencing and man i feel bad for the guy.. NY is super strict on gun laws and i feel like bassy is getting the sh** end of the stick
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#240 » by karkinos » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:34 am

Kalela wrote:I hate that **** cops can use just about anything - in this case the smell of marijuana - to justify searching your vehicle without warrant and **** judges will back them up.

is this supposed to make telfair less guilty of the crime he committed?

people should understand the basic concept that repeated offenses against the law will make them more likely to get evaluated with scrutiny even for the most basic offenses such as not having your headlights on.
the fact that he has been caught with firearms in the past multiple times makes sense the police would want to investigate if he's dumb enough to do it again.

Return to The General Board